Frazier on Ponder playing next week: It’s just a matter of how fast he heals

Washington Redskins v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder dislocated his left, non-throwing shoulder in Thursday night’s victory over the Redskins and said after the game that he hoped to heal fast enough to play in Week 11.

Results of an MRI on Friday haven’t done anything to make that impossible. Coach Leslie Frazier said doctors found nothing troubling in the test and that the answer to the question of Ponder’s return will come down to how quickly the shoulder progresses.

“No surprises when they did the MRI, now it’s just a matter of how fast he heals,” Frazier said, via the team.

Brian Murphy of the Pioneer Press adds that Frazier said he’d like to see Ponder practicing by next Thursday in order to face the Seahawks next weekend. Frazier wouldn’t say whether Matt Cassel would get the start if Ponder isn’t able to play. Ponder was 17-of-21 for 174 yards with two touchodowns and one interception before getting hurt on Thursday night. Cassel was 4-of-6 for 47 yards in his relief appearance.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
18 Responses to “Frazier on Ponder playing next week: It’s just a matter of how fast he heals”
  1. FlashPatterson says: Nov 8, 2013 2:34 PM

If Ponder is our QB next year I’m gonna be a Lions fan. They’re the only other team that can replicate the high expectations and crushing disappointments I’ve come to crave from the NFL.

2. pacificnw7722 says: Nov 8, 2013 2:37 PM

Seahawk’s defense @ home will FEAST on this dude.

3. raiderufan says: Nov 8, 2013 2:48 PM

My first thought watching it was “not a TD…and his arm is probably broken”

4. briang123 says: Nov 8, 2013 2:55 PM

What ever happened to that Josh Freeman fella?

5. packerfansarefat says: Nov 8, 2013 3:03 PM

Am I the only one that feels, in order to build something up…you need to first break it down….not part way, ALL the way. In other words, I can’t stand the idea that we win a couple meaningless games that drop us further away from a franchise QB….
    The other thing….why when Ponder does something a 3rd year QB is SUPPOSED TO DO… it’s a sign of “brilliance”……shows how bad our QB situation is.

6. banlarson says: Nov 8, 2013 3:03 PM

Good news for Vikings fans is they have now finished the easy part of their schedule going 2-7.

Next up, Seahawks, Packers, Bears, Ravens, Eagles, Bengals and Lions. I’m not seeing a single win out of any of those games unless Rogers is still out. 2-14 should all but guarantee at least a 3rd overall pick.

7. conormacleod says: Nov 8, 2013 3:04 PM

I gotta root for the team. But I figure only 1 more win is acceptable to keep the third overall pick.

8. coachkilla6 says: Nov 8, 2013 3:13 PM

His LEFT shoulder is also non-throwing? Cuz we knew the right one was non-throwing. This explains a lot now.

9. purpleguy says: Nov 8, 2013 3:14 PM

I hate to say this, but does it really matter since they’re playing the Seahawks at home?

Oh, and did anyone see that breaking WI news story yesterday about the couple in Beaver Dam, WI who were outside a bar smoking heaters following the Pack/Bears game? One spouse was rooting for the Bears, the other the Pack, so the hubby pulls out his taser, zapped his inebriated sweetheart in the posterior 3 separate times, and then locked her and her dog out of the truck they were living in (yes living in a truck). As usual, thank you Wisconsin.

10. vikings28 says: Nov 8, 2013 3:17 PM

The real funny part about vikings fans…I am a die hard for one…..the funny part is most fans in this state want us to get a top 5 pick and draft a QB. Do you think that QB is going to come in and light up the NFL?
    There’s NO WAY FOLKS. Whoever we draft is going to struggle, just like all rookie QB’s. It’s going to be tough. If you don’t believe, please remember this post next year.
    Ponder has put together 2 very nice games, one against Dallas and last night against Washington.
    I’m not saying he is a franschise QB, but if you think Teddy Bridgewater is going to come in and be better than Ponder, I will say you are dead wrong. Ponder will beat out whoever they draft next year, then the year after, the drafted QB will start.
    I wish fans in MN were more positive. I mean last night, Ponder throws a deep ball, and every fan has said throw it deep, throw it deep, stretch the field, then he gets picked off doing what everyone says to do, and they boo him. Makes no sense.
    Then he bounces back and goes 17-21 for 175, 2 TD’s and fans still call for his head…nevermind you that we were down 27-14 and he brought us back to take the lead.
    I guess I just don’t get it and I’m not saying Ponder is a a great QB, but maybe he’s a late bloomer…..I guess time will tell.

11. Send in the Clowney says: Nov 8, 2013 3:33 PM

Ponder is a great guy and I think he can be successful in the NFL, but he isn’t the long-term answer at quarterback for the Vikings. I want to keep him for next year (why give him up?) but draft a quarterback in the first or second round to be his replacement. If Ponder steps up to the challenge, great. If not, we’ve got a new guy who can sit and watch for a while until Ponder can’t get the job done. If we’re going to maximize the value of Cordarrelle Patterson, we need a guy who can throw an accurate deep ball. After watching that hail mary last week and the interception this week, Ponder ain’t the guy to do that.

12. kamikazebulldog says: Nov 8, 2013 4:23 PM

Outside of the deep throw that was picked off, Ponder was everything the Vikings need him to be last night. Be decisive, sustain a drive, use the mobility when needed.

If the Vikings are going to be a grind it out team based on a power running game, that is great, I love that type of football, but you need to have a strong offensive line and a hard-nosed defense to go with it.

Ponder, or any other Viking QB, for that matter, does not have to do what a Manning, Brady, or Rodgers can. The Vikings have been scoring enough with Ponder running the offense to be in ball games, but if a defense can’t get off the field on 3rd down or force a punt every now and again, it won’t make any difference.

13. stevent92 says: Nov 8, 2013 4:35 PM

Say what you want about Christian Ponder, but I notice that he gives it his all, he doesn’t pout, and that dive he took to the end zone shows some heart. The man is willing his team to win, and players respond to a guy that pours it all out like that.

I agree, he may not be the long-term answer at QB. But the Vikings are averaging 28 ppg in games that Ponder plays in.

I am doubting he is really THE problem. He may be ONE OF the problems, but we could look elsewhere for fixes on this team, including what Kevin Williams described as an undisciplined defense. I thought Ponder really started to come alive in the 3rd Quarter last night, and if he had stayed in the whole game, we might have hung 42 on the Redskins.

14. chillyball says: Nov 8, 2013 5:11 PM

Are you Ponder fans nuts??? Tim Tebow is a better QB (not really, but I needed to state that for effect). The guy floats balls, locks on to one receiver, throws too high or too low, and waits in the pocket too long. You’ve gotta be to be joking, right???

I’m in with the other guy, if Ponder is here next year, I’m at least gonna root for the Bears.

15. stellarperformance says: Nov 8, 2013 5:19 PM

purpleguy says:
    Nov 8, 2013 3:14 PM
    ////////////////////////////////

Sure, I read it. But you are (conveniently) leaving out the fact that this couple are traveling truckers….passing through…not from Wisconsin…and did not know that the tasers they purchased IN VIRGINIA were illegal in Wisconsin.

If you ‘re going to tell the story, tell the whole story.

And many thanks to Wisconsin for cleaning up somebody else’s trash….making the world a safer place for everyone.

THAT’S the whole story, Mr. Maroon.

16. Paul M. says: Nov 8, 2013 5:25 PM

kamikazebulldog says: Nov 8, 2013 4:23 PM
    ———————————————
    If you want to see the Vikings win a super bowl he does. If you’re happy with bottom feeding then he’s fine.

Ponder can’t be trusted to stay on the field. He’s easily broken.

17. packerenglishmajor says: Nov 8, 2013 5:45 PM

Ponder easily broken, maybe, have you ever seen the guy quit, or pout?

Weak arm, maybe but he’s got the heart of a thoroughbred.

. . . and that was Ponder’s comeback last night and Ponder’s win.

If Cassel had been down by 13 the Vikes never would have re-gained the lead.

18. vegasvike says: Nov 9, 2013 10:29 AM

***IS… Dang auto correct ruined my joke!