Rob Ryan: I don’t care what people say, I know I’m a great coach

New Orleans Saints v New York Jets Getty Images

As Saints defensive coordinator Rob Ryan prepares to meet the team that fired him when the Cowboys come to town on Sunday night, much has been made bout the reasons for Ryan’s firing. But Ryan says he doesn’t care what the reasons were.

Instead, Ryan says that all that really matters is his own confidence in himself. And, in case you’ve never heard Ryan talk about himself before, his confidence in himself is high.

“Whatever people suggest, it doesn’t make a crap to me because I know I’m a great coach,” Ryan said. “So whatever it is, it is. But I said in Dallas on my way out, there are a couple better coaches than me who have been fired. Not many, but there’s a couple.”

Yes, Ryan said, “make a crap,” which may be an odd thing for an NFL coach to say to the media, but Ryan said he isn’t concerning himself with how he comes across to the media.

“I haven’t been up all night studying what I’m going to say to the media. I just want to coach football and work hard and get it right and help us win,” Ryan said.

Ryan noted that he’s been fired before and that coaches get fired all the time, so he said the Cowboys firing him hasn’t weighed on him this week.

“If I worried about every team that’s fired me, hell, I’d have a grudge every week,” Ryan said. “This is a huge game. It’s a big game for both teams.”

And it’s a big test for Ryan’s defense, which is playing well this season and backing up Ryan’s bravado.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
64 Responses to “Rob Ryan: I don’t care what people say, I know I’m a great coach”
  1. denverwally says: Nov 8, 2013 7:48 PM

Stop using the word “great” about yourself. It sounds ridiculous.

2. moerawn says: Nov 8, 2013 7:53 PM

3. beerbudsnbevo says: Nov 8, 2013 7:54 PM

Wait until the Cowboys find a running game Sunday night. Therefore keeping Brees off the field.

Dallas will be getting DWare back…

As hard as I am on my team, deservedly so, I think the Boys pull of an upset.

4. mightyminer says: Nov 8, 2013 7:55 PM

Jerry needs to shut up

5. jimnaizeeum says: Nov 8, 2013 7:59 PM

Don’t think it will be a big test…the cowboys are one dimensional, pass.
    Rob’s D should do fine.

6. swaggyy says: Nov 8, 2013 8:00 PM

Woman lie, men lie, numbers don’t lie. The numbers tell me you’re an average coach, Rob.

7. mythaimyke says: Nov 8, 2013 8:09 PM

Only in your mind, Rob!!!!!

8. coltzfan166 says: Nov 8, 2013 8:11 PM

Whether you like the Ryan’s or not, you gotta applaud them for their confidence levels.

9. whitecastleisafoodgroup says: Nov 8, 2013 8:17 PM

Great coaches do great things with average players. Great players to average things with average coaches.

Rob, you are average.

10. jwalsh217 says: Nov 8, 2013 8:17 PM

“I’ll have a job in five minutes” was the greatest line of all time

11. GenXJay says: Nov 8, 2013 8:18 PM

“make a crap,” “kill the head,” or whatever else d-coaches think they have to say; good luck on finding another job.

12. tmcrouch1 says: Nov 8, 2013 8:24 PM

He is a good coach, until someone performs the 2 minute drill on his a$$.

13. thegreatgabbert says: Nov 8, 2013 8:28 PM

I can sympathize with Rob. I’m a great painter and musician. No one recognizes my genius. Maybe we’re just ahead of our time.

14. edog1982 says: Nov 8, 2013 8:31 PM

Blowhard just like your loud mouth brother. Never won anything and never will

15. northshorejag says: Nov 8, 2013 8:31 PM

Bobby, it’s not people it’s your record.

16. ninerswilldominatelikebefore says: Nov 8, 2013 8:46 PM

hahahaha thanks for a good laugh..he’s so great he gets fired every other year. He’s the kim k of the nfl they just pass him around…

17. f1restarter says: Nov 8, 2013 8:51 PM

Oh, a great *coach*. I thought he said he’d love a great *roast*.

18. sportnorcal says: Nov 8, 2013 8:56 PM

Overconfidence and insecurity obviously runs in the family.

19. patssox says: Nov 8, 2013 9:02 PM

Being a great coach means never having to say I’m a great coach.

20. hurricanegrabowski says: Nov 8, 2013 9:02 PM

Well Rob, I don’t care that you don’t care, and you don’t care that I don’t care, and no body else cares that I don’t care or you don’t care, in fact, we’re all careless.

21. beerbratscheese says: Nov 8, 2013 9:03 PM

You tell ‘em Rob. I got your back on this one.

On a completely unrelated note, I am the greatest ladies man that God ever put on this planet, and I don’t care if anybody else says differently.

22. packerman1968 says: Nov 8, 2013 9:08 PM

A great coach, does not have to tell everyone they are great.

23. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Nov 8, 2013 9:12 PM

Is he trying to convince us or himself? All those teams that fired him can’t be wrong. His record speaks louder than his words.

24. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Nov 8, 2013 9:13 PM

You see guys like this a lot in life, often in fantasy football. They absolutely butcher one decision after another – but somehow they retain supreme confidence … which (unfortunately for them) leads to more hysterically comical decisions.

Everyone in here reading this knows 2 or 3 guys in their fantasy league that squarely fit this description.

25. vbe2 says: Nov 8, 2013 9:28 PM

How many winning records have his teams posted in his career?

26. rationalthinker82 says: Nov 8, 2013 9:29 PM

Never shoulda fired him and I fear that’ll be obvious on Sunday. 5-5 here we come.

27. joshmelder says: Nov 8, 2013 9:31 PM

While it is annoying to hear someone call himself great. I have to admit – I did not expect the Jets to play this well. Props to him.

28. harbourimages says: Nov 8, 2013 9:36 PM

Well that apple didn’t fall far from the tree. Remember what this blowhard’s father said when he took over as the coach in Arizona? “Ya got a winner in town now!” Hahahahahaha… The Ryan’s do one thing VERY well… all three of them… and that’s brag about themselves and how “great” they are. What a family of asses!

29. abninf says: Nov 8, 2013 9:39 PM

It’s interesting to see how different the comments about Rob are when he’s on a team other than Dallas. It’s not like he changed.

30. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Nov 8, 2013 9:43 PM

Everyone above me is an idiot and knows nothing of real scheme or football.

ROB RYAN is one of the best defensive minds in the NFL right now. He is the most creative for sure, he ranks up there with Rex Ryan and Bill Belichick. Running a similar defense to Rex, Rob’s is a little more creative and fun to watch. A lot of different stunts, drop backs, delayed blitzs. Go watch some game film of his defenses at any point. He’a extremely aggressive but if you know defense you know you’re watching a real artist of football.

31. tinbender2000 says: Nov 8, 2013 9:47 PM

Rob Ryan: I don’t care what people say, I know I’m a great coach —- And gosh darn it, people like me!

32. BigAlHeBDMan says: Nov 8, 2013 9:49 PM

I have to admit, the Saints defense is much better than last year,when they set the record for worst defense ever. Let’s see how great he is, this Sunday, when his old team plays his current team. It should be interesting.

33. vincentbojackson says: Nov 8, 2013 10:16 PM

The Ryan brothers never miss an opportunity to tell you how much they think of themselves.

34. backdapack4evr says: Nov 8, 2013 10:20 PM

Now this is funny!!!
    What coach has to tell everyone how good he is?????
    What a clown!!!!

35. thejuddstir says: Nov 8, 2013 10:21 PM

He keeps getting jobs because headcoaches and GM’s (here’s lookin’ at you jerrah) get sold on his bravado but then the season happens and the bravado doesn’t translate to the field and poor Robbie gets fired and then he “gets another job in 5 minutes”, well maybe not. He and brother Rex learned one lesson from their ole’ man Buddy…….”talk loudly and carry a small stick”

36. backdapack4evr says: Nov 8, 2013 10:25 PM

His brother is worse

37. sportsguy3434 says: Nov 8, 2013 11:15 PM

Jerry was trying to buy Rob at what he was actually worth and sell him at what he thought he was worth to pay for the new stadium. When no one would pay what Rob thought he was worth, he cut him loose.

38. arm57romg says: Nov 8, 2013 11:22 PM

Come on ppl think smart and take off your Cowboys Hater Goggles. Ryan loves playing that man press on the outside and blitz the QB.

And maybe Bryant hasn’t been a killer against the 1 on 1 this year, but Terrence Williams has. Combo that with a guy like Witten camped in the middle of the field and Romo may be able to keep up with Brees.

And if Murray gets going, look out.

39. jetsjetsjetsnow says: Nov 8, 2013 11:22 PM

Rex vs Rob
    5 to 0

If the bar is set at Rob being Great then Rex must be a friggin Rock Star!!

40. saintsredwings says: Nov 9, 2013 12:40 AM

When we hired him at the beginning of the season. My thoughts were WTF!!!!! Why Rob Ryan ????? I’ve since changed my tune on him as he’s doing a pretty good job thus far.

41. ragingmouse says: Nov 9, 2013 12:43 AM

Brees will be sacked at least 6 times…

Dallas D will have a great game and they will win…

42. cornbredd says: Nov 9, 2013 1:00 AM

31 other D Coordinators are preparing for Sunday without claiming their greatness. # mulletsrock

43. bonecrushinghits says: Nov 9, 2013 1:15 AM

The Dude Abides

44. krenshaws says: Nov 9, 2013 1:56 AM

Do any of you moronic Cowboy fans remember the historically bad Saints D from last year? Nope didn’t think so, you are too caught up in your own mediocrity.

45. gavriloprincip33 says: Nov 9, 2013 3:08 AM

Average yes, great – not hardly…

That said, the Saints will win!

46. Juan says: Nov 9, 2013 4:26 AM

He’s garbage ….. period !

47. j0esixpack says: Nov 9, 2013 7:03 AM

I tend to think Lombardi, Halas et al never once had to publicly promote themselves as “great”

‘Nuff said

48. sophandros says: Nov 9, 2013 7:54 AM

Rob, you are average.
    ===================================

Where was the Saints defense ranked last year?

Where is it ranked this year?

49. censoredagain says: Nov 9, 2013 7:56 AM

“Make a crap”?

“Great”?!

Dumb, AND delusional. Runs in the family

50. jpietrefesa says: Nov 9, 2013 8:23 AM

Great? Really? Name something something youve won or a single job that youve held on to. The Ryans are by far the biggest clowns in the NFL.

51. johnnydom says: Nov 9, 2013 8:39 AM

What a moron, he said the same thing in Cleveland and the Browns defense sucked. He will never be a head coach no matter how much he campaigns for himself.

52. cunninghampeetemcnabbvick says: Nov 9, 2013 8:40 AM

I think I speak for every Eagles fan this week when I say “Go Saints!”.

53. cursedvikings1998 says: Nov 9, 2013 8:53 AM

Unfortunately for the Saints, they will be without their best linebacker, David Hawthorne.

Unfortunately for the Cowboys, they’re about to get obliterated by an angry Saints team.

Saints 41, Cowboys 20.

54. marcuswelby70 says: Nov 9, 2013 8:54 AM

Rob is the best D coordinator of all time. Just ask him, and he’ll tell ya.

55. mancave001 says: Nov 9, 2013 9:04 AM

Yeah, his defense looked “great” at the end of the Pats game.

Eagles Fan

56. shatho1 says: Nov 9, 2013 9:26 AM

I think I speak for every cowboys fan this week when I say “GO PACKERS”

57. kayakattack says: Nov 9, 2013 10:24 AM

He’s so bad, he probably wouldn’t be involved in pro football if it wasn’t for his lineage

58. tommytd says: Nov 9, 2013 10:33 AM

WHAT IS IT ABOUT THIS FAMILY – Were they all shorted the gene that connects the brain to the mouth? YIKES

59. thesmedman says: Nov 9, 2013 10:53 AM

Like father, like son.

60. 2difshoe says: Nov 9, 2013 12:37 PM

Have to love how humble this man is.

Obviously , Mom and Dad did not give the attention he needed.

61. sbaltimore says: Nov 9, 2013 1:32 PM

Spoken like a true Ryan.

(And if anyone questions whether or not he’s great…heck, just go ask ALL the other teams he’s been with.)

;o)

62. natnic75 says: Nov 9, 2013 3:47 PM

moerawn says:
    Nov 8, 2013 7:53 PM
    “A great coach is only as “great” as the supporting cast. In RR’s case, he made the mistake of working for Jerry Jones and his hand-puppet HC Garrett. Funny how some people leave the Cowboys and get better results.”

Ahaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    ok now name me the people who left the Cowboys and found better results?

Go ahead, it’s a beautiful day in sunny Cali so I got all day.

63. natnic75 says: Nov 9, 2013 4:05 PM

Since I already have my girl krenshaws making me my sammitch. I need you two ladies to make me dessert.

moerawn you can start with my macadamia cookies. andrejohnsonforpresident you can just get my cup of milk and my slippers. I have spoken.

64. iceedteaa says: Nov 10, 2013 4:32 AM

the only coach you’re better than is rex ryan…