Finally, a Dolphins player says he’d welcome back Martin

Patterson AP

Three days after the Dolphins’ locker room sent strong messages of support to guard Richie Incognito and no messages of support to tackle Jonathan Martin, reporters returned to the locker room and, for the first time, a player on the team publicly has said he’d welcome Martin back.

Via Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post, the endorsement came from cornerback Dmitri Patterson.

The well-traveled veteran, undrafted the same year Incognito joined the NFL as a third-round draft pick, joined the Dolphins in 2012, the same year Martin arrived.

Definitely, I would,” Patterson said regarding whether he’d welcome back Martin.

Patterson is the first player to swing the door open for Martin.  It could take plenty more before Martin would ever be able to walk back into the locker room.

Cornerback Brent Grimes said merely that he hopes the situation ends soon.  “I can’t escape this,” Grimes said.  “I was trying to watch Comedy Central last night and they had something on this sh-t.”

Grimes presumably is referring to The Daily Show, which put the situation under the microscope with the same blend of humor and common sense that it brings to every topic that lands in Jon Stewart’s radar.

The fact that the story has landed on Stewart’s radar confirms how big it has become.  The next question is whether it continues to have legs even after a Sunday of games.

Given that it has crossed over from sports story to a mainstream news story, it’s safe to say that this one will remain in the public eye at least until Martin’s future with the team is decided, Incognito’s future with the team is decided, and the NFL issues its reports and metes out any discipline and announces any and all changes to locker-room culture and conduct.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Finally, a Dolphins player says he’d welcome back Martin”
  1. chargerdillon says: Nov 9, 2013 3:41 PM

Who the hell really cares, we’re talking about the worthless dolphins here.

This is the most boring worthless story completely taking away from the fact there’s 30 teams still worth watching (Bucs not included of course)

Can we please get back to football and screw all this hurt feelings nonsense

2. g35phin says: Nov 9, 2013 3:41 PM

Jonathan Martin the type of dude to stun gun people in GTA V because he don’t want to hurt anybody.

3. annes22 says: Nov 9, 2013 3:43 PM

Dimitri Patterson only just joined the Dolphins this season, so he has no clue about what happened Martin’s first year here. Nor does Brent Grimes for that matter.

4. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 9, 2013 3:48 PM

The last South Park episode was all about bullying as well, although they didn’t make it about football.

5. finfan1985 says: Nov 9, 2013 3:49 PM

I didn’t want to say it but I have to………. of course dimitri patterson would accept him back in the locker room becuz he is never in the locker room his locker is in the treatment room becuz dude is always hurt SMH Dimitri balls out WHEN HE PLAYS p.s he’s doubtful @ Tampa Bay

6. yankeemofo says: Nov 9, 2013 4:00 PM

I hope this gets resolved soon and wish the best for all involved.

Day after day, I grow disillusioned with the NFL’s practices and policies…

7. mrbigass says: Nov 9, 2013 4:00 PM

I see praise from one liberal to another. Maybe Stewart will join you in that name change thing.

Or, you could report more on the horrific conditions that a lot of Native American’s live in….

8. steelersaregodsteam says: Nov 9, 2013 4:02 PM

He isn’t following the provided script.

9. jacobslatter says: Nov 9, 2013 4:02 PM

Just for the record, Jon Leibowitz isn’t funny. Yelling at the camera pretending you’re angry is just annoying, as is his left wing leanings. The Daily Show was a much better program in the late 90′s when it was a lightweight, whimsical subdued news/celeb interview show under the great ESPN SportsCenter talking head Craig Kilborn.

10. finfan79 says: Nov 9, 2013 4:06 PM

It all depends on what comes out of the investigation. So far, I haven’t seen anything so egregious that Martin couldn’t have dealt with by voiciing his issues with the O-line coach, offensive coordinator, Philbin, his agent, the Dolphin’s player rep, or Ireland. Did he complain to anyone? Was it truly a horrible work environment or did he just want out? Players grow frustrated with their teams all the time and request a trade or to be released from their contract. Was this Martin’s way to get out of his contract? I can see why he would be frustrated by the signing of McKinnie, but if the investigation confirms what the Dolphin’s players have been saying about his relationship with Incognito, then how could the Dolphins or any other NFL team welcome Martin into their locker room after all the trouble his actions have caused?

11. thehaljordanproject says: Nov 9, 2013 4:22 PM

Noooooo!!!! I liked you while you were here Dimitri…

12. hurricanegrabowski says: Nov 9, 2013 4:31 PM

That’s because Patterson is a man, and all these other players that have come out against Martin are a bunch of insecure little kids.

13. prostock75 says: Nov 9, 2013 4:35 PM

giantsfanlewis…..you may want to go check that, Jon Stewart has blasted the implementation of ACA and just this week went after him for the statement that no one would lose their insurance. The thing that makes him great is that he is not Maddow or Hannity or Maher. He will rip anyone and although he is a liberal, he has time and time again gone after Obama. The sad thing is that it is best political show on tv, exposing just how ludicrous our government and how phony both sides of the aisle are

14. briang123 says: Nov 9, 2013 4:39 PM

Jon Stewart is a total joke. My favorite things he does (well, I hear he does since I don’t waste my time) is rip on rich people, when he has so many tax shelters and trusts, even one in the name of his dog, it is ridiculous. Liberals like him think that spending everyone else’s money is just wonderful, but never actually spend their own on charity, etc. Regarding the Martin-Icognito nonsense, without watching it I know which side Stewart took, I can guess to 90% accuracy what was said, and know that too big of a chunk of America gets their news from him and believes it like the gospel.

15. ratbastardshanahandjob says: Nov 9, 2013 4:50 PM

Stewart has common sense?? That would be a 1st for a liberal. I see plenty of humor in that tool Keith Olberman and his .1 rating. Why isn’t Stewart commenting on how he keeps his job or keeps getting them. Wait I know. Must be the networks are run by liberals with that so called common sense…..

About Patterson. Good for him if he really belives that and not, thinks he’s under pressure from the PC types so he said he would welcome Martin back……

16. bobzilla1001 says: Nov 9, 2013 4:52 PM

I think I have this whole sordid affair figured out: The Dolphins coaches approached choirboy Martin and asked him to try to calm down the brute Incognito, but once Martin realized he was fighting a losing battle, he suffered a mental breakdown…

17. idothis2 says: Nov 9, 2013 4:57 PM

To those that say Martin shouldve stood up for himself with Incognito. just remember what happened to Spider when he stood up to Tommy after he took one in the toe in Goodfellas…

18. prostock75 says: Nov 9, 2013 4:58 PM

I can’t fathom people commenting on The Daily Show if they do not watch it. Again, it is a political satire show, it is not O’Reilly, Maddow, Morgan, etc. I have no idea where the ripping on rich people comes into play, that does not even make sense and has nothing to do with his show. I am a Jon Stewart fan obviously, but it makes me laugh to hear comments from people who don’t watch and as a result has the wrong idea of what his show entails. From Occupy Wall Street, to Joe Biden, to Michelle Bachmann / Palin, he will go after anyone.

19. bradwins says: Nov 9, 2013 5:01 PM

How did I guess that the throwaway line giving Stewart a little nod would be the point that a good number of commenters would focus on. For anyone to say Stewart isn’t bright or isn’t funny is a total political homer. You don’t have to agree with someone to recognize that they are smart. I don’t say William F. Buckley was dumb just because we didn’t agree on everything.

20. robuff716 says: Nov 9, 2013 5:13 PM

Now who wouldn’t welcome back a starting 2nd year right tackle ..huh??

21. genericuser8888 says: Nov 9, 2013 5:30 PM

I hope things get resolved with the Dolphins. The whole things sounds like a disaster in many different ways. I think both players should be allowed to stay in the league…I hope the whole thing blows over, but maybe the league will be left a little better because of the attention the topic is getting.

Florio, you had to know that the The Daily Show remark was going to get some attention.

As a moderate conservative who watches The Daily Show, about 50% of the jokes are funny, and about 50% of the jokes fall flat for me because they rely on a preconceived belief in the foundations of liberalism and falsehoods/stereotypes about conservatism to make the joke.

With that said, a lot of the conservative criticism is worthwhile and funny, and he gives the current administration a LOT of a harder time than either CNN or MSNBC.

So, I don’t know that I’d call him a “common sense” kind of guy, but hey, I do think he at least tries to be fair or have a common sense approach to things. That is, so long as you understand he’s coming from a straight-up liberal background, he’s being as fair as he knows how to be. And mostly, I can respect that, even if I do think the show is dishonest at times. (Well, as dishonest as a “comedy” show can be.)

22. giantsfanlewis says: Nov 9, 2013 5:37 PM

He only started making fun of it after it was popular to. By jo means is he the best or most in the middle. Hes a lib hack who every once in a while gets it right. And to those saying its not a news show to defend him better remind him of that because he thinks hes a real journalist

23. byroan says: Nov 9, 2013 5:40 PM

annes22 says: Nov 9, 2013 3:43 PM

———————————————–

Patterson has been with Miami a month longer than Martin.

24. giantsfanlewis says: Nov 9, 2013 5:46 PM

And btw I said blindly fallowed. He took place in the trashing of repubs during the gov shutdown and ted cruz whp ironicly was explaining exactly what is happening with this 2 weeks before the roll out. But stewart decided to trash cruz instead of using common Knowles to anyone wjo paid attention to the bill

25. eventhorizon04 says: Nov 9, 2013 6:02 PM

Tannehill said he’d welcome Jon Martin two days ago.

He said he’d welcome both Incognito and Martin back, and then he talked about how he believes in forgiveness.

But yeah, it’s easy to overlook the comments of a minor player like Ryan Tannehill. It’s not like Tannehill is the QB of the team and was voted one of its leaders….

26. turkish124 says: Nov 9, 2013 7:13 PM

mrbigass says:
    Nov 9, 2013 4:00 PM

———————————————–

Since you decided to make this political (for no reason at all), can you tell us which Republicans are standing up for poor and oppressed? I sure hope Native Americans living in bad situations weren’t counting on food stamps…

If you think Stewart is wrong why don’t you tell us why instead of calling him a Liberal and thinking you won an argument. Everything he said on the issue was pretty logical stuff.

27. jetfanfolife says: Nov 9, 2013 9:05 PM

I can see geeks and outcasts getting bullied but an NFL player..C’mon man! You spent years tackling and taking hits!
    This guy is looking for something and I’m not buying his bully crap story at all

28. gametime52 says: Nov 9, 2013 9:18 PM

Poor Martin, I hope he is ok. I feel so bad for him, I hope he can talk about it in his support group. They can sit in a circle and one person can rub his back while they talk and cry together. This world is so mean and people are so mean. Meanies! Lets move into the new world of football guys, Come on, Geesh. Its just to rough and mean, and we are a country of progressives and its time to move forward.

29. strongmackn says: Nov 9, 2013 10:21 PM

I cant figure out how people politicize everything.

Whats even worse is when people label eachother as left or right.

These labels do not exist behind the closed doors of politicians.

They are all the same behind closed doors. They all take money from the same corporations.

The only thing these left/right, liberal/conservative, democrat/republican labels do, is make us little people fight and feel divided while the politicians continue to wreck it for us all.

30. lostsok says: Nov 9, 2013 10:35 PM

Liberalism is ” a political philosophy or worldview founded on ideas of liberty and equality.”

It’s weird to me that the right-wing extremists who have been stinking up so many comment boards lately with their bizarre need to make everything in the world about politics and Obama…seem to think that calling John Stewart a “liberal” is somehow an insult.

31. lostsok says: Nov 9, 2013 10:41 PM

Call me a liberal any day of the week. (And I love potatoes!)

lib·er·al (lbr-l, lbrl)
    adj.
    a. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
    b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
    c. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
    d. Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.
    a. Tending to give freely; generous: a liberal benefactor.
    b. Generous in amount; ample: a liberal serving of potatoes.

32. swaggerville1 says: Nov 9, 2013 11:05 PM

Patterson. Please report to the front office.