Seahawks roster move leads Doug Baldwin to reflect on NFL business

Pete Carroll, Doug Baldwin AP

The Seahawks announced a roster move today, which is a common enough occurrence: On the day before games, teams routinely cut players from the active roster and call other players up from the practice squad, as they determine who are the 53 players who give them the best chance to win on Sunday.

Seahawks receiver Doug Baldwin thinks that’s all too common an occurrence.

Baldwin reacted on Twitter to the team’s announcement that one of his fellow receivers, Bryan Walters, had been released, pointing out that cutting a guy at the team hotel in Atlanta, the day before the game, is a harsh reality of the business of the NFL.

Football players are paid a lot of money, and Baldwin isn’t asking for sympathy. But when he says the NFL is a cutthroat business, he’s right.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
36 Responses to “Seahawks roster move leads Doug Baldwin to reflect on NFL business”
  1. ratsfoiledagain says: Nov 9, 2013 4:30 PM

I bet it sucks big time. Seattle isn’t the first team to ever do this.

Not sure what the reasoning is to cut a guy that most certainly wouldn’t play, unless there were some injuries during the game. That being said, I do not work in the NFL.

2. jpb12 says: Nov 9, 2013 4:34 PM

Tiquan Underwood says hi

3. offthelows says: Nov 9, 2013 4:35 PM

During the last few years of concussion protocols being more aggressive, the 53 man and active roster sizes have yet to adjust to the fact that a team is gonna have more who can’t play on gameday, but are likely to be back where they wouldn’t go to IR… So you have a week where 2 guys have a concussion in this case (Bryant/Unger), you have to juggle rosters and make moves last minute when you realize guys don’t pass the test to be allowed to play, because of this the NFL for safety reasons should expand roster sizes by 2, making it less likely a team would be short at a position group.

4. beastmode5150 says: Nov 9, 2013 4:37 PM

Pick a different profession I guess?

5. santoryu64 says: Nov 9, 2013 4:39 PM

Seahawks need to stop bullying people.

6. truthfactory says: Nov 9, 2013 4:40 PM

When is the right time to cut him?? If he was at home eating dinner with his family and got cut would that have been better???

7. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 9, 2013 4:42 PM

Well Seattle did load up on having 3 receiving threats on their Practice Squad. If they released him to only go with 4 WRs on their roster then surely they must like the depth they have with those extra 2 WRs and the TE.

8. thebirdofprey2 says: Nov 9, 2013 4:43 PM

I know the WR group in Seattle is a tight /close group just like our secondary. But Doug needs to take into account that Red Bryant and Jordan Hill are inactive for this game and we needed DT help. Percy Harvin looks to be activated next week in Walters spot. Walters will be signed back to practice squad no doubt if he clears waivers. Smart business from Seattle.

9. chawk12thman says: Nov 9, 2013 4:46 PM

He is right. Cuts and additions like this are generally short lived and the circle of 53 will continue, based on what’s best for the team that week. It is a business and a lucrative one at that.

It also is a “what have you done for me lately” and “what do we anticipate you will do for me now.” It isn’t just the fans who want results or they will turn on a player. It also included the front office.

10. donnymacjack says: Nov 9, 2013 4:57 PM

What this REALLY says is that the roster rules (aka part of the CBA) requires a team to drop a guy and shuffle their deck weekly to use the practice squad guys. If the rules would allow teams to add and delete up to or extra guys each week, this kind of thing could be avoided. But it is what it is so it happens.

11. ultrawolf123 says: Nov 9, 2013 5:33 PM

He’ll be back on the practice squad if he clears waivers, its nothing new to a team that has had so many different injuries at different positions. A WR being released was guaranteed this week anyways because do to PUP rules, percy has to be on the 53 man roster.

12. fdugrad says: Nov 9, 2013 5:41 PM

When I read / hear stories along these lines, as well as think about the violence of this profession, I wonder what happened when the person The NFLPA picked ORIGINALLY to negotiate the overall structures and parameters of the players’ contracts didn’t / couldn’t bargain for guaranteed deals. Professional base /basketball contracts are completely iron-clad, regardless of injury or sickness, and BOTH sports are SUBSTANTIALLY less dangerous. It certainly points out how wonderfully skilled and future oriented Marvin Miller was when he was ramrod for pro hardball union members. If I were a Major Leaguer I would overturn heaven and earth in my efforts to have this man enshrined in the HOF. Shoot, I might even name my son OR daughter after him!!

13. ninerswilldominatelikebefore says: Nov 9, 2013 5:47 PM

classless move by a classless P.E.D using organization. Walters refused this weeks dosage..

14. tobis81 says: Nov 9, 2013 5:58 PM

If he was in ATL with the team at the hotel, he was technically at work. You know, the same place anyone else would get let go. At the place of their employment. What do you think the team is gonna call your house when you’re at home, and fire you? Would any of your jobs do that?

15. nje22 says: Nov 9, 2013 6:11 PM

For all the people saying don’t play then, also tell how you wouldn’t’ve been pissed if this happened to you

16. pacificnw7722 says: Nov 9, 2013 6:15 PM

Bottom Line: It is a business and a “what have you done for me lately” mentality. Doug is a really good player and I’m glad the Hawks have him.

17. thebirdofprey2 says: Nov 9, 2013 6:18 PM

A 49er fan talking about class. Didn’t Little Jimmy Harbaugh allow a player to start the day after he drove drunk and high into a tree being arrested?

How about not hand down any punishment to a linebacker who bottled/assaulted a teammate that was trying to stop him from drinking and driving.

Yeah I don’t think you guys should be trying to bring up the C word.

18. ratsfoiledagain says: Nov 9, 2013 6:19 PM

ninerswilldominatelikebefore says:
    Nov 9, 2013 5:47 PM
    ****************
    Stay classy 9er fans…

19. jkaflagg says: Nov 9, 2013 6:22 PM

Standard roster juggling, especially true during the 2nd half of the season when a lot of guys are banged up and you don;t know who’ll be ready to go until almost the day of the game…..would not be a shock if Walters is back and Brooks is gone by next week…..

20. southpaw79 says: Nov 9, 2013 6:50 PM

thebirdofprey2 says:
    Nov 9, 2013 6:18 PM

…. and how long has Seattle allowed Lynch to play with out repercussions from his DUI? What almost 2 years now is it? I am guessing you do not even care about the hit and run because Lynch was not even on your team then. I guess the slate is cleared of all wrongs once you are traded to the Seahawks?

21. allday2k says: Nov 9, 2013 6:52 PM

Last winter my work asked me to come in on a day I didn’t have to. There ended up being a blizzard the next day but I came in anyways since I said I would. Soon as I got there I was laid off because we almost had all our job sites finished. My 4×4 started acting up on the way home and I almost crashed. Moral of the story: Sometimes it is WAY better to fire employees when their at home compared to when their at work.

22. tobis81 says: Nov 9, 2013 6:56 PM

A 49er clown who TROLLS, and rants on almost every Hawk article on this site attempting to talk about class, LOL. Not to mention, how pathetic he sounds using the PED line from like 8 months ago, HA. We are classless because we released a player? Didn’t you just release Nnamdi? I guess that’s classless as well. Almost as classless as the 49er fanbase who stab people in their stadium parking lot!

23. sportnorcal says: Nov 9, 2013 6:58 PM

They are one of the best teams in the game (pains me to say it.)

How can any of their players not be 100% bought into what they are doing? Especially publicly.

Not a fan of Carroll but he seems to be making all the right moves since arriving there.

24. tobis81 says: Nov 9, 2013 7:00 PM

SOUTHPAW- You think the Hawks are gonna punish him for something he did years earlier while with the Bills? HAHAHAHAHA. That was the league, and the Bills responsibility. If teams punished players for all the wrong things they did in life before they were on the team, there wouldn’t be an NFL. Nice try at a comeback though big guy.

25. azjohnny says: Nov 9, 2013 7:30 PM

We live in a world of Have and Have nots, the “Have’s” get treated differently from the “Have nots” and when you are a professional athlete you get the breaks!

26. seahawkgoat says: Nov 9, 2013 7:44 PM

southpaw79 says:
    Nov 9, 2013 6:50 PM
    thebirdofprey2 says:
    Nov 9, 2013 6:18 PM

___________________–

Your point literally had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Jim Harbaugh let Aldon Smith play in a game the same week he was arrested for DUI and got in a wreck the morning of a practice.

This is the same Harbaugh who preached to the media how he holds his players to a higher level of accountability than the Seahawks.

This is the same Harbaugh who complains to the media about tendencies he sees on game tape so that the refs are given orders to pay special attention.

This is the same Harbaugh who chided the media for speculating that Alex Smith wouldn’t be his starter anymore. Alex Smith never started another game after that tantrum.

He also had to go big stick swinging on Jim Swartz, who is like a little rat terrier. Hardo much?

I like the 49er’s players for the most part, but good God, Harbaugh is such a blow hard and more and more people (and players) are starting to notice.

27. sonoco says: Nov 9, 2013 7:55 PM

Who got cut for who? Nobody cares . . . not even 49ers fans aside from taking the opportunity to get a rise out of hyper-sensitive Hawk fans.

28. wrdtoyrmama says: Nov 9, 2013 8:02 PM

Well if he got paid, it is what it is.

But this reminds me of the old Sinbad routine: “If your going to fire me, fire me in the morning so I can get out of here and enjoy the rest of the day off. Don’t fire me at 5 o’clock at the end of the day. I’ll just be pissed then.”

29. citynative says: Nov 9, 2013 8:21 PM

@seahawkgoat

Do you keep a diary of Coach Harbaugh? Wow. I could list all the things that Coach Carroll has done, but as Sonoco said I could care less. Keep writing in that diary though thats cool.

30. seahawkgoat says: Nov 9, 2013 8:28 PM

citynative –

I mentioned 4 high profile events involving Harbaugh that made national news. I’ve had a lot of fun in my life, but I can still pull a few memories off the top without having to refer to my diary.

I am glad that I BLEW your mind by giving 4 points though. You stick with your 1 paragraph troll comments and go comb your pink hair.

31. bert1913 says: Nov 9, 2013 9:00 PM

the really harsh thing is that the seahawks made walthers walk home.

32. whatwhat2013 says: Nov 9, 2013 9:03 PM

Meh. He’s called ‘Angry Doug Baldwin’ for a reason.

33. granadafan says: Nov 9, 2013 10:22 PM

Better than being let go the day before the Super Bowl.

34. expertop says: Nov 9, 2013 10:37 PM

Brad Childress cut a guy (Marcus Robinson) on Christmas Eve. But, then, Childress is a clown.

35. averagewhitegirl says: Nov 10, 2013 8:45 AM

Doug Baldwin will be thankful for all those mean roster moves when the Seahawks get to the SB.

36. @Cereal_22 says: Nov 10, 2013 9:19 AM

He’ll probably be picked up again next week. Get over it kid