Roethlisberger calls report of possible trade request “BS”

Roethlisberger AP

We’ve now heard from all the relevant players in response to the report from Ian Rapoport of NFL Network regarding the possibility that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will ask the team to explore trade options after the current season.

First, Roethsliberger’s agent denied it.  Second, Steelers president Art Rooney II disputed the notion that the team has explored a trade, even if no one reported that.  Now, Roethlisberger has weighed in.

“It is one of the most BS stories that I’ve ever heard of,” Roethlisberger said after Sunday’s win over the Bills, via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.  “I’ve always said that I want to be a Steeler for life.  I love it here.  I’m happy here.  I don’t want to go anywhere.  No one in my family, our camp, agents, no one has ever said anything about that.  Wherever this was made up from is totally false.”

Though we have no information whatsoever about what is and isn’t true, the reactions are predictable.  No one can say at this time that Roethlisberger possibly wants out — especially not Roethlisberger.

After the season, things could change.  Roethlisberger is due to earn $12.1 million in 2014 and $11.6 million in 2015, at a time when some guys with no Super Bowl wins (or only one) are making much, much more.  If/when the Steelers approach Roethlisberger about yet another effort to create cap space, Roethlisberger may say “pay me.”

With or without the prefatory expression from Goodfellas.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
44 Responses to “Roethlisberger calls report of possible trade request “BS””
  1. thepftpoet says: Nov 10, 2013 8:19 PM

The whole Steeler’s organization is a joke

That old, terrible defense

Filled with convicts like Roethlisberger

Don’t even get me started about the Steelers fans

Or the women that live in pittsburgh

2. frankgarrett says: Nov 10, 2013 8:19 PM

The Media lies

3. lennydpocketqb says: Nov 10, 2013 8:20 PM

All this drama because they haven’t replaced enough weapons on the offense. Oh…and, Todd Haley. Guy is a cancer. He has to go.

4. winorlose6burgh says: Nov 10, 2013 8:20 PM

Yes we love u Ben!!! Bring us 7 home!!

5. myspaceyourface says: Nov 10, 2013 8:22 PM

If the Cardinals want to give us a #1 pick for Roethlisberger we should do it on one conditions.

They have to take Tomlin too. . .

6. baltimorons says: Nov 10, 2013 8:24 PM

Ben better pipe down or he will spend more time in the WR slot.

7. ravenswhat says: Nov 10, 2013 8:25 PM

Right, Ben always tells the truth.

It’s funny how stories like this one seem to go away after a win.

8. braven4evr says: Nov 10, 2013 8:27 PM

It would be one thing if he asked for a trade, I just don’t see the Steelers wanting to get rid of him. He has been beat up and injured; but he is still a very good qb!

9. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 10, 2013 8:31 PM

If I was PIT I would have traded him a long time ago, so this talk would be for whatever his current team would have been. Probably the Buccaneers before they dished out that Revis money LOL.

10. koenig61 says: Nov 10, 2013 8:34 PM

No one can say at this time that Roethlisberger possibly wants out — especially not Roethlisberger. Say what?!? So if Roethlisberger can’t say the story’s not true and that he doesn’t want to leave, then who the heck can say it? I understand your point that things change and at the end of the season you don’t know what could happen, but right now, BEN IS THE ONLY PERSON who can say “I don’t want to leave Pittsburgh” anyone else is just speculating, and making assumptions.

11. lawyermalloy says: Nov 10, 2013 8:37 PM

I believe he wants out rather than another season with Todd Haley as OC.

12. jr4real says: Nov 10, 2013 8:40 PM

Ian (ain’t no eagle) Rapoport is possible the worst source in the NFL. If this came from Scheftler or Glazer I may actually believe some of it.

This guy should be canned.

13. bigdaddybullwhip says: Nov 10, 2013 8:41 PM

Cincinnati is going to need a qb next year.

14. blackngold4life says: Nov 10, 2013 8:46 PM

NOO player on that roster is beyond approach..No Ben..not Troy Nobody! If a good enough offer came to the table they’d be stupid not to listen. Quit fallin inlove with players they come and go.. and love the Logo its not gona change

15. seahawkgoat says: Nov 10, 2013 8:48 PM

Though we have no information whatsoever about what is and isn’t true, the reactions are predictable. No one can say at this time that Roethlisberger possibly wants out — especially not Roethlisberger.

_____

This is embarrassing

16. seahawkgoat says: Nov 10, 2013 8:49 PM

The reactions are predictable?

If I asked you “Have you asked to be traded to ESPN?”, I bet I can predict your answer.

17. sgtr0c says: Nov 10, 2013 8:58 PM

Would anyone else want him? Not saying he is bad or anything, but with his years as a veteran, would anyone want to pay a Jaworski-esque Qb who could take a hit but not really make others around him look great? He is due a lot of money, with his years of service and there are prolly better options coming up in the draft with teams of need. Enjoy him Pittsburgh.

18. koenig61 says: Nov 10, 2013 9:00 PM

Seahawkgoat, I’m glad someone else picked up on that besides me. lol

“Though we have no information whatsoever about what is and isn’t true”.

Hmmm we have no information? Kind of makes ya wonder if any other stories are written with no information, but yet where we know the reactions will be predictable?

19. mborz says: Nov 10, 2013 9:08 PM

@Florio: I don’t think I’d characterize the reactions to this story as predictable. I think the fact that all of the parties disputed it is totally predictable, but I think the way each party has disputed it has not been predictable at all. Ben went out of his way to be as clear as I think he possibly could. I’m not saying he’s telling the truth, but it’s far from what I’d call a predictable denial.

Let’s assume the story is untrue. What way would you like to see it disputed that you would consider unpredictable, or more convincing? Is there anything that someone could do in this case to dispute the story in a way where the explanations wouldn’t be dismissed as predictable? Or is this just a way for someone who has profited off of a “rumor mill” to ensure that rumors live on even after everyone emphatically denies them?

20. @Cereal_22 says: Nov 10, 2013 9:21 PM

Sinking ship, was the Steelers stadium even half filled today?

21. koenig61 says: Nov 10, 2013 9:24 PM

Amen mborz, amen. Preach it. I’m all for stories about the NFL, but the TMZ stuff has to stop. I come to this site for PFT, not for gossip innuendo and rumor.

22. dontbuttslapyourlawyer says: Nov 10, 2013 9:26 PM

So let me get his straight….he clearly says he wants to be a steeler for life….Owner says no way…….and then no one calls out Ian Rappaport for printing a totally bogus story? I mean he basically made it up. What the heck?

Ps. Not a steelers fan. Just an objective reader. There’s nothing here

23. blackngold4life says: Nov 10, 2013 9:32 PM

Fool that was the twenty-Second straight sellout..and those are people through the gate..not just tickets sold.

24. MCxShow says: Nov 10, 2013 9:34 PM

This article was made by the Goodfellas reference. You’re such a funny guy, Florio.

25. jmblosser82 says: Nov 10, 2013 9:40 PM

From what I am seeing, the stadium attendance was 60k out of 65k , so I would say the stadium was over half full if I am doing my math right.

26. Great Caesar's Ghost says: Nov 10, 2013 9:58 PM

Trade him so we can win a Super Bowl.

27. swagger52 says: Nov 10, 2013 10:03 PM

Why is this odd…

All the Steeler fans have fallen off the bandwagon as well.

28. GenXJay says: Nov 10, 2013 10:03 PM

big bens version of “bs” = Bystanders Suck.
    look out ladies.

29. swagger52 says: Nov 10, 2013 10:04 PM

This story doesn’t make sense….

Now that Rothlesberger is old, he is perfect for the Steelers.

30. halftermguv says: Nov 10, 2013 10:23 PM

Welcome the the alternate universe of sports media.

In normal journalism you have at least two verifiable sources and if you are as far off from reality as Rapoport is here…you get fired.

But not in the sports biz. You get to critique each and every word out of an athlete’s mouth and announce your judgement of its merit (as if you earned that right).

Yet in the TMZ-like sports media that exists today, no writer or reporter is held accountable for publishing speculation represented as facts.

Fire the person? Nah….give them a raise.

31. wonderkt says: Nov 10, 2013 10:26 PM

If I was a QB and Todd Haley was my offensive coordinator, I’d want out, too. Arizona could use a good QB and the head coach there knows a little something about how to run an offense.

32. Deb says: Nov 10, 2013 10:30 PM

The rumors of Ben’s trade may be completely fabricated, an attempt to test the market, or a way for Ben to get fans to show some love. But it’s all a lot more entertaining than than last week’s stories about how Tomlin’s gonna sit players until they learn to play.

33. blueberrymuffin11 says: Nov 10, 2013 10:46 PM

Does anyone fact check a story before labeling it with a flashing Breaking News banner and scrolling it across the screen?? Everyone’s in such a hurry to scoop everyone else that the media will just put anything out there to be first in case it’s true!!

34. pittsburgh361 says: Nov 10, 2013 11:09 PM

Hes not going anywhere theres not another franchise qb out there. The ones that are talking trade him yeah ok just bc your team sucks and you want big ben. The only place big ben would consider and thats arizona and thats to be with BA. But they woukd have to give mulitple 1st rd picks.

35. crownofthehelmet says: Nov 10, 2013 11:13 PM

No one’s mentioned the elephant in the room. $12M/yr for this year and next is a freaking bargain for Big Ben. Steelers are the best at what they do. Period.

36. RE LEE says: Nov 11, 2013 12:58 AM

Just hard to imagine the steelers without Big Ben. It’s like the pats without Brady.— but then again Peyton changed horses.

37. threatlevelxmidnight says: Nov 11, 2013 3:28 AM

Who would want him?

38. steelerben says: Nov 11, 2013 8:21 AM

The Steelers are going to trade him away. Arizona seems like the most likely spot for it. A second rounder and a conditional pick the following year would be a fair price. Roethlisberger still has some tread on his tires, and has every chance to be successful behind a decent line throwing to a top receiver under an Arians offense. The Steelers have a ton of glaring holes to fill. This will be one of the first seasons in forever that the team will be drafting high and it is a great opportunity to grab a difference maker at QB.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Heath Miller, Ryan Clark and/or Troy Polumalu playing in different uniforms next season, Keisel retire, and Dick Lebeau start passing the reigns.

This is a team in transition. The star veterans are on the down side of their trajectories, the defense isn’t capable of taking over a game any longer, the running game is non-existent, and Big Ben’s style of play has seemingly lost it’s value to the coaching staff. Finding an anchor at nose tackle, injecting some youth into the secondary, getting a game breaking outside linebacker, finding a wide receiver with size and leaping ability for a redzone target, bringing in a free agent guard to solidify the offensive line and reducing the overall payroll all need to be done to bring the Steelers back into a position to compete for the playoffs again, as we have all grown so accustomed to. A cheaper option at QB who is mobile will be a good first step while taking care of that list over the next two to three seasons, and the team is going to need all of the draft picks they can get.

PS – Doug Whaley and Russ Grimm, I miss you guys.

39. troy43mvp says: Nov 11, 2013 8:33 AM

Rapoport has done the he said she said style of reporting in the past. The only problem is that he never says who the “he or she” is that released the bogus info. Even if it was true the Steelers have gotten the best years out of Ben and it would free up some much needed salary cap $. In saying that I would rather keep the QB and have him retire a Steeler. If they trim the salary cap fat at the end of the season and get rid of everyone involved in the offensive coaching (yes even the RB’s coach) they could excel. The offense from a talent standpoint only has one area to work on and that’s the line. Fix the line and you have fixed a lot.

40. pabrownsfan says: Nov 11, 2013 8:39 AM

My father taught me do not believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.
    Congrats to Steeler fans. They played a good game.

41. fringetastic says: Nov 11, 2013 10:45 AM

Again I ask, when has a player asking for a trade request ever worked?

I can think of players buying their way out of contracts, but can’t think of a player asking for a trade and a team saying “oh, ok, sure buddy.”

42. steelcurtainn says: Nov 11, 2013 2:52 PM

Big Ben is going nowhere. He’ll be the steelers qb for the next 3-4 years on his way to capturing #7. Its amazing how people like Ian Rapo- clueless can throw around rumors in the middle of the season when the team is trying to win football games. The steelers players shouldn’t answer any questions pertaining to his false claims. I. Rapo-clueless should find another hobby and quit trying to stir the pot.

43. realitycheckbaby says: Nov 11, 2013 2:56 PM

Be realistic Pittsburgh fans.

The only way a team would want Ben is if he was considered the last piece to a SB. He’s too old to build around.

Name one team that is a QB away from a SB. When Denver got Manning, you could make that argument.

Cardinals? No. They may need a QB but that isn’t the last piece to any puzzle.

And on top of that, IF there were such a team, they wouldn’t give multiple first round picks for a guy with 4-5 years left in the tank. And even if they did, they wouldn’t be great picks because the team would have to be a good team.

You’re stuck.

44. realitycheckbaby says: Nov 11, 2013 2:59 PM

Heck, Kansas City gave up a 2nd and conditional 3rd for Alex Smith who was one of the top rated QBs (higher than Ben) when he got hurt and is two years younger.

Even if your Pittsburgh colored glasses say Ben’s 50% better, that’s not “multiple first round picks”.