Andre Brown wasn’t expecting 30 carries

Oakland Raiders v New York Giants Getty Images

So much for easing Andre Brown back into the lineup.

The Giants leaned on the running back in his first game back since a second broken leg, giving him 30 carries in their win over the Raiders.

I carried it 30 times?” Brown said, via Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News. “It felt like 50.”

Brown taking those carries for 115 yards and a touchdown had a lot to do with the Giants being able to hang on to beat the Raiders on an odd day. He hadn’t carried more than 20 times in a game in his career, and only once did he have more than 13 attempts in a game.

But getting Brown back in such form gives them reason for hope. They’re only a game and a half out of the division lead after an 0-6 start, and Brown could be a symbol of what they’re trying to do as a whole.

He said he wasn’t dwelling on the multiple injuries that have derailed his career, trying to focus on the next carry.

“I’m running for my life out there,” he said. “Pretty simple. . . .

“You can’t think about and dwell on the past or anything. You’ve just got to go and continue to move forward and remain positive and don’t look back. If I look back at all the injuries that I’ve had I wouldn’t be here right now. Just move forward and keep working.”

That approach worked for the Giants yesterday, and with Brown back, might pay a bigger dividend for the team.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Andre Brown wasn’t expecting 30 carries”
  1. joetoronto says: Nov 11, 2013 10:14 AM

He only averaged 3.8 yards per carry but considering how the Giants run game has been lately, they have to be happy.

2. GenXJay says: Nov 11, 2013 10:17 AM

either was i. dropping hillis from my ffb roster. damn you coughlin

3. chalkruz1989 says: Nov 11, 2013 10:38 AM

Adre Brown’s emergence will definitely help the New York Giants as the team pursues playoff status. Though the road is steep, it will surely benefit having a running back that is capable of eclipsing 100 yards on a given day.

Eli Manning will always leave the fans wondering what he was thinking but that’s his nature of play. His interceptions should minimize with Brown providing a running option.

I am left believing it is too late for the Giants to overcome such a dreadful start. Glad to see Brown getting his touches though, he’s a good player and a good guy.

4. justintuckrule says: Nov 11, 2013 10:42 AM

If Eli shakes this funk, the NFC is gonna have a major problem on their hands

5. skinsfanwill says: Nov 11, 2013 10:51 AM

OK Eli, we are now 1o weeks in. It’s time to zhit or get off the pot. And I’m a Skins fan. But I want to see good football. I can’t even watch a Giants game any more. It’s disgusting watching Eli play now. Help bring the NFC East back to it’s prominence as the toughest division to play in.

6. mathomp3 says: Nov 11, 2013 11:20 AM

The NFC East is pathetic

7. bgibson8708 says: Nov 11, 2013 11:22 AM

He made a great bye week fill in om my fantasy team. Cant wait to flex him rest of the season. His ypc was low but they wede running all 3 downs on some drives. They dont trust Eli and I dont blame them. Brown will be a workhorse if he can stay healthy.

8. xli2006 says: Nov 11, 2013 11:52 AM

“Neither were we” – Fantasy Owners who stashed Brown.

9. schmitty2 says: Nov 11, 2013 12:24 PM

skinsfanwill says:Nov 11, 2013 10:51 AM

You want to see “good football” and your complaining about Eli?? And this coming from a Skins fan??

10. nyfootballgiants says: Nov 11, 2013 12:51 PM

The plan probably wasn’t for Brown to get 30 carries – but once Peyton fumbled…….

11. Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 11, 2013 1:32 PM

Yeah, I don’t think they were looking to give him 30 carries, either.

But Peyton Hillis did his thing for a game and a half. After whiffing on two blocks that nearly got Eli killed, fumbling a swing pass, not doing anything between and outside the tackles, thank God Andre is back.

They need to play Cox instead of Hillis, though. Having Hillis in there on 3rd down for protection, when he is the worst of the three (before Jacobs returns) is unfathomable.

12. aljack88 says: Nov 11, 2013 2:11 PM

While it’s great to see Brown perform so well, I think it more clearly shows how Coughlin mismanages his use of running backs. 30 carries for any running back who hasn’t played since before week 1 is just crazy, never mind it was the most he has ever done in one game.

Bradshaw was over used his last 2 seasons in New York. While he should have been given a reduced load or even benched some to help out and nurse his ankle/feet/knee problems, his work load was actually increased in order to “punish” David Wilson for all his fumbles last year (sarcasm – do look up his stats from last year). It also seemed like Coughlin just didn’t have it in him to confront the overly competitive spirit of Bradshaw to tell (order) him that he had to sit down some.

After his years of handling Tiki Barber’s fumbles, it also seems like Coughlin didn’t have it in him to go through that with Wilson, either. Too bad, as the Giants surely would have had more insight into exactly what their RB situation was at this season’s start.