Panthers earned the respect they’ve been looking for

Carolina Panthers v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

People are starting to notice the Panthers now.

But you’ll pardon them if they don’t get a little, well, defensive about it.

The Panthers won the most important game of the Ron Rivera era in beating the 49ers 10-9, their fifth straight win but first over a legitimate opponent.

We don’t need no bandwagon,” Panthers defensive end Charles Johnson said, via Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer. “We know what we’ve got in this group and we just take it one game at a time. That’s how it’s got to be.”

The Panthers kept the pressure on the 49ers all day, sacking Colin Kaepernick six times, limiting them to 151 yards and standing up on third downs, allowing just 2-of-13 conversions.

“We heard all the naysayers say we hadn’t played anybody and blah, blah, blah. Well, we played somebody today on the road in their place, and beat them,” safety Mike Mitchell said. “So they shouldn’t have too much to say. We’re relevant. We’re here.”

Where they are now is in the middle of the NFC playoff race, and only a game behind New Orleans for the division lead.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
37 Responses to “Panthers earned the respect they’ve been looking for”
  1. vexey says: Nov 11, 2013 8:45 AM

2. jgedgar70 says: Nov 11, 2013 9:01 AM

I’m sure those consumed with hatred will continue to hate. It took no time at all last night for 49ers fans to start making excuses. But there is no excuse. You MUST take the Panthers seriously now.

3. jtumen88 says: Nov 11, 2013 9:01 AM

notice the trend? the teams with the good D’s are surviving down the stretch, i.e., Carolina, the Jets and in the biggest way, KC, despite minimal offensive production

4. drecaldwell22 says: Nov 11, 2013 9:02 AM

Carolina in my opinion has been a legit team for awhile now. For the most part in the past their games were close, they would always give the game away in the final two minutes. Weeks ago they figured out how to win games. Once we get Offense on track I truly believe we will go deep into the playoffs, wearing the NFC south crown. I find it funny the doubters are not commenting and the so called experts. All well. Keep pounding!!!

5. dukeearl says: Nov 11, 2013 9:08 AM

I had plenty of respect for the Panthers after week 1. (Still have)
    Great job Panthers, keep it up. Maybe we’ll have a rematch at Seahawk stadium.

6. thundastormz says: Nov 11, 2013 9:09 AM

Panthers vs. Saints x2. The Unstoppable force (Saints O) meets the Immovable object (Panthers D). Can’t wait just KEEP POUNDING!!!!

7. eatitfanboy says: Nov 11, 2013 9:09 AM

jtumen88 says:
    Nov 11, 2013 9:01 AM

Meanwhile, the teams with the great offenses are all crashing and burning, like the Saints, the Broncos, the Eagles……

8. stlunatik says: Nov 11, 2013 9:09 AM

They still stink lol

9. tgcpanthersfan says: Nov 11, 2013 9:13 AM

I find it funny how some can talk all week long and for the last few weeks. “Oh Carolina needs to beat someone.” And yet when they beat someone the same hater is no where to be found.

Still bitter much? you sure were the first to post about how bad Carolina was for not beating someone.

I’ll admit I had my doubts about rivera after Arizona. but hey the man has seriously changed his ways and is starting to look like a Good HC.

10. tdubdizzle says: Nov 11, 2013 9:20 AM

The Panthers D made Kaepernick look like child’s play.

11. gotdressedinabooth says: Nov 11, 2013 9:22 AM

Is it just me, or is the guy in the picture shown jumping look extremely effortless to be jumping so high?

Defense wins championships. Not read-option quaterbacks. Ask Ray Lewis. No bandwagoners allowed!

12. twayward says: Nov 11, 2013 9:22 AM

jtumen88, a good D gets a team to the playoffs. i agree with you. but — taking it a step further — in today’s nfl, a defense plus a big-time quarterback makes a team a super bowl contender.

the one thing the panthers have that the jets & chiefs do not is a stud quarterback. down four late in the fourth quarter, cam newton can win that game. alex smith can secure a lead and rookie Geno Smith may be able to engineer a comeback in future years. but not in 2013.

13. tdubdizzle says: Nov 11, 2013 9:22 AM

Mike Tolbert earned his paycheck yesterday. It’s always funny to see the arrogant Niners lose. Who’s better than us?! The Panthers. In your house.

14. scmems07 says: Nov 11, 2013 9:23 AM

“As a Panthers fan, please just give us this week to feel good. I know it’ll come crashing down eventually but I NEED THIS”

Respect to this fan. This defense is for real, but let’s be honest, cam does not step up against the better teams in the league, if this was NO or someone with a competent qb, we would be talking about cam letting them down. Kaep is possibly the worst qb in the league. Now if they beat NO and win the division, then I would say the sb could be in the future, but I don’t believe cam can do it, he has let this team down too many times, but this year people can’t blame the defense.

15. negativten says: Nov 11, 2013 9:23 AM

Ninerfan here-Panthers kicked our @ss,on offense,defense and special teams(and we got outcoached)
    #Props

16. dukeearl says: Nov 11, 2013 9:30 AM

I don’t think Harbaugh is a good first coach for Kaepernick to study under.
    Harbaugh isn’t that good of a sportsman which unfortunately Kaepernick is absorbing.
    Kaepernick is getting a reputation as one-dimensional/one read type of QB.

17. arwiv says: Nov 11, 2013 9:33 AM

The Panthers are looking very solid right now…now they have to finish it by making the playoffs. Until that time, no team should really be saying anything. I will say this though….as of this moment, I think the only two teams in the NFC who are better than them are the seahawks and saints.

It looks like the panthers will probably be on the road in the wc game against the survivor of the east or the winner of north. Theyd beat anyone in the east….coin toss against the pack/bears/lions on the road.

18. scmems07 says: Nov 11, 2013 9:36 AM

“the one thing the panthers have that the jets & chiefs do not is a stud quarterback. down four late in the fourth quarter, cam newton can win that game”

sorry, but the panther’s record in games decided by 7 pts or less is 3-14 after yesterdays win, that alone proves your statement to be incorrect. cam is a good qb, but he has yet to show he can win a shootout with one of the top qb’s in the league. not saying it can’t happen, but have not seen it yet.

19. numbr4stuna says: Nov 11, 2013 9:37 AM

The Panthers have actually been on quite a roll of late. Going back to last season, they won 5 of their final 6 games to save Rivera’s job. Then they had a good draft to shore up their defensive line. And now they’ve continued to do what’s needed to win. They may not have played the BEST teams in the NFL but they beat the teams you have to beat if you wanna be there at the end. Looking forward to our head to head matchup.

Who Dat!

20. goldrush36 says: Nov 11, 2013 9:37 AM

seahawk stadium? yeah ok thats not a bandwagon fan… that said i kept teling everyone that regardless of who they beat up offensively that the panthers D was for real and they brought it. Congrats to the panthers. no excuses here. Offense still needs to step up.

21. tmac4454 says: Nov 11, 2013 9:43 AM

I want to see Cam play well like he did in college. That OL needs to be get better and those WR’s oh my, don’t know what to say. That defense has stepped up. I do not think that they can beat the Saints…too much firepower….

22. whodatsaybaby says: Nov 11, 2013 9:45 AM

I hate to admit this, especially as a Saints fan, but Carolina is going to be a good match up for New Orleans. How? Glad you asked. New Orleans has outscored Carolina in total offensive points 242 to 207 giving them a +35 ratio. Carolina has given up less points scored against them at 103 to 146, giving the Saints a -43 ratio. Simple math puts New Orleans in a -8 total head to head production on both sides of the ball. Now everyone is saying Seattle is the front runner of the NFC, but if you use those same ratios you’ll find Saints are only -5 behind Seattle, while Carolina is at a +5 against the Seahawks. I know the overall record is all that matter in the end, but it’s a very interesting time in the NFC South and the NFC Conference as a whole.

23. tennesseeoilers says: Nov 11, 2013 9:46 AM

As a Titans fan living in Charlotte, I’m pretty unbiased when it comes to the local team. Simply put, I think the Panthers have something so intense and special going on with their defense, that their own fans don’t even realize how significant this is. They know this D is good, but I’m telling you, they’re better than good. Way better.

Playoffs? That’s thinking too small. Even if Cam & Co. play average on offense, this D can carry them deep into the playoffs. And if Cam continues to grow at the current pace? I’m telling you San Francisco and Seattle will be watching the Super Bowl at home.

24. icewalker946 says: Nov 11, 2013 9:49 AM

tgcpanthersfan says: Nov 11, 2013 9:13 AM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Fine. I’ve been saying this for weeks now. The Panthers have beaten up on weak teams and lost to so-so or really good teams. They can’t seem to get that ‘signature win’.

Finally, they beat a good team. Congrats.

It’s about time. They had enough (wasted) high draft picks. I still think they are winning DESPITE their head coach. And I still think this team is built to stop the kind of team like the 49ers that like to run because of their front 7 but we will see with Brady and Brees coming up.

I’m starting to come around to your thinking that they are an elite team. I just have them at ‘very good’ right now.

Now if you excuse me, I have to get back to worrying about how my Packers can make the playoffs.

25. pantherfan294 says: Nov 11, 2013 9:52 AM

Cam did make some awful throws. The INT almost cost them the game. But he made just as many good ones. He made two CLUTCH throws on third down in the 4th quarter to extend drives. The fumbled snap can’t be put on him. The ball didn’t even make it into his hands. He didn’t have a good game but he was going up against a great defense, and he did enough to let the defense win it for them.

26. harrisonhits2 says: Nov 11, 2013 9:58 AM

Looking forward to next week’s game. Pats will have their hands full but with Gronk back at full power and a very opportunistic defense that creates a lot of turnovers I think it will be a close game.

27. mobuccsfan says: Nov 11, 2013 10:21 AM

To the person saying the Saint OL is immovable object vs Panthers D being unstoppable object, that is exactly why I think the Panthers have a legitimate shot to win the NFC South Crown this year. And I agree, if Cam can improve and be more consistent, they can go deep in playoffs this year. Saints O-line isn’t that good–even the banged up Cowboys were able to get to Brees quite a few times. An injured Ware almost had Brees two or three times–now through in a healthy front seven for Carolina? Brees could be in for a long day both times they play–and hopefully he comes out unscathed. Too many big name players have gone down this year–especially at QB. Not sure why all the serious injuries but that is another topic, for another day.

Sadly, being a Yucks fan, I can say that it should be between these two for a few years to come. Tampa isn’t as good as everyone thought they were–not enough talent and definitely not the right coaching. ATL should bounce back some next year with an easy schedule thanks to losing this year, higher draft pick and people coming back from injuries. But until they build a solid defense, shore up their O-line and learn to run the ball more effectively, they will be middle of the pack going forward, or so that is what I think.

I think if Carolina address O-line and finally finds a receiving threat to go with Smith and Olsen, they very well could return to the Superbowl in the next two to three years.

28. skippynj says: Nov 11, 2013 10:25 AM

Blah, blah, blah. Lousy team, lousy coach, lousy qb, lousy owner, lousy football ignorant fan base, no class wr with a HUGE mouth. You’re all set up for a disappointing end to the season. Can’t wait to watch it!

29. All-American Voltron says: Nov 11, 2013 10:28 AM

They didn’t deserve any respect until now. All of their previous wins were against garbage teams in winnable circumstances. The 49er road win was certainly impressive. Now we’ll see how the Panthers react to having the attention of everybody.

30. steelerben says: Nov 11, 2013 10:33 AM

gotdressedinabooth says:
    Nov 11, 2013 9:22 AM

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And how many times this season has Cam Newton run the read option? Just sayin.

I had faith in the Carolina roster last season. I thought they were poised to make a deep playoff run before the year started, especially with the Saints getting Goodelled, and they were a wet fire cracker. I had faith in the Carolina roster season before last. I predicted them to be the surprise playoff team that shook things up.

They’ve shown to be a streaky team in the past, and I’d like to see them finally do something, but you know that saying they have down in Tennesee… well they have it home in Texas, but I’m sure they have it in Tennessee, too… Fool me once, shame on you, fool me again…. wel you’re not going to fool me again.

31. 21stnprime says: Nov 11, 2013 10:56 AM

with the QB and defense playing like that, they gotta be my choice to represent the NFC for the ‘ship

32. tedmurph says: Nov 11, 2013 11:03 AM

So what if 5 of their wins were against garbage teams, they blew them out by an ave score of aboout 34-10, not easy to do in the NFL. They had 2 road losses, one by a point, and played one of the top 2 teams in the NFL tough in the 1rst gm. These guys are for real, looking forward to next mon night.

33. ratsfoiledagain says: Nov 11, 2013 11:12 AM

scmems07 says: Nov 11, 2013 9:36 AM

*********************
    And Carolina has a QB. Not a work in progress like Kaepernick.

34. scmems07 says: Nov 11, 2013 12:03 PM

“And Carolina has a QB. Not a work in progress like Kaepernick.”

kaepernick is not a work in progress, he is just not good.

35. simplesimon1 says: Nov 11, 2013 2:03 PM

Somebody has to help me out.

I’m not a fan of either team (but Carolina looked exceptional yesterday). People always say who a team has beaten and who they haven’t. For example, people always point out that my Detroit team doesn’t beat high quality, above 500 teams. But, part of the reason they aren’t above 500, sometimes, is because we beat them.

So I’m having a tough time understanding people that said for weeks that Carolina hadn’t beaten any good teams yet still said that San Francisco had. I looked at the SF schedule and they’ve had a weaker schedule than anybody in the NFL to this point. And there losses were big time losses, not even close. Does last year’s record and the idea of being good this year still play a part? Because to this point, SF hasn’t beaten anybody aside from a really good, gut check win in week 1 against the Packers.

36. citynative says: Nov 11, 2013 2:27 PM

Another Niners fan here. Great job by the Panthers. That D is really good. Good luck going forward.

37. beastmode5150 says: Nov 11, 2013 4:37 PM

The panthers are nasty, if they had more than average RB’s and WR’s it would be scary.

Hawks fan