Abraham doesn’t care about the Falcons’ struggles

Abraham AP

After the 2012 season, the Falcons cut defensive end John Abraham.  He remained on the market for months, before eventually joining the Cardinals.

Now, the Cardinals are 5-4, the Falcons are 2-7, and Abraham isn’t willing to consider what might have been.

“I really don’t care,” Abraham told Erik Kuselias of NBCSN’s Pro Football Talk regarding whether the Falcons would be doing better with Abraham on the roster.  “I know that team, but I’m with the Arizona Cardinals.  And you may think I’m playing, but if anybody knows me, I don’t care what’s going on there because I know people who are like, ‘What do you think of their defense?’ and I’m like, ‘I don’t watch them.’ . . .

“If they win the rest of the way or lose the rest of the way, I don’t care. As long as we win the rest of the way, that’s the honest to God’s trust. I really don’t care.”

Abraham really does care about his sacks, given that he has passed Hall of Famer Derrick Thomas.  Now with 128, Abraham has his sights set on Michael Strahan.

“He’s one of my idols,” Abraham said.  “Coming in the league at New York, he’s one of the guys I talked to a lot.  He’s at 142, and I’m at 128 right now, so my personal goal is just catching him.  He did 15 years, and next year will be my 15th, so hopefully I can get 142 or more, but definitely that is my personal goal though.”

Another goal is getting a Super Bowl ring.  That’s something the Cardinals seemed to have no chance of doing when Abraham arrived.  Now that the Cardinals are 5-4, who knows?

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Abraham doesn’t care about the Falcons’ struggles”
  1. patsfan1820 says: Nov 12, 2013 9:03 PM

Why should he care?

2. censormynameandmycomments says: Nov 12, 2013 9:13 PM

Father Abraham has many sacks. Many sacks has Father Abraham. Sunday he had 3 of them. The Cardinals won. Now let’s all praise the D!

3. jacobslatter says: Nov 12, 2013 9:27 PM

Abraham has come along nicely at OLB for the Cardinals but the sal-cap strapped Falcons couldn’t afford to keep him nor long time RT & current Miami bully Tyson Clabo BUT the Falcons acquiring only Osi Umenyiora at DE when John Abraham has been the ONLY good pass rusher for Atlanta since Matthew Icyhot has started all these years and all draft picks at DE being colossal busts while two rookies were drafted but hardly see the field in rounds 4 & 5 has been one of the more stupid decisions the braintrust of Thomas Dimitroff & coach Mike Smith has done in recent years maybe only behind backing up the Brinks truck for CB Dunta Robinson in FA. The pass rush is so bad for ATL the last 2 weeks has seen the secondary getting a couple of sacks because the D-line even makes Mike Glennon look Brady-esque & Carson Palmer look decent. The top 5 pick hopefully can land a Mario Williams type talent but a Joe Thomas like LT is even more pressing. Kroy Biermann the veteran DE for ATL was a starter but he ain’t all that despite a tough player that’s nice to have backing up.

4. allidoiswin55 says: Nov 12, 2013 9:30 PM

He is speaking the truth but sour Atlanta fans will cry bc they’ve got nothing else to do but cry about injuries and losing. They just played my hawks without 7 starters my team is missing and all I could hear was about how they are terrible due to injury.

My team meanwhile is missing 80% of their line literally 4 offensive lineman which anyone in football knows how a team should struggle not to mention their top 2 wideouts and the hawks still murdered them in ATL.

Cry all you want to he spoke the truth and should be respected for it!

5. allidoiswin55 says: Nov 12, 2013 9:30 PM

Cry all you want to he spoke the truth and should be respected for it!

6. don2074978 says: Nov 12, 2013 9:31 PM

Didn’t hell freeze over in 2009?

7. jshawaii22 says: Nov 12, 2013 9:45 PM

they will be lucky to go 8-8.

Indy, Phily, St Louis, Seattle and San Francisco…. that’s what lies ahead.

8. ravenswhat says: Nov 12, 2013 9:50 PM

When you say you don’t care that many times, it’s kinda like saying “it’s not about the money”.

9. cursedvikings1998 says: Nov 12, 2013 9:53 PM

I knew that was a huge mistake for Atlanta to let him go.

Aaaaaand the Julio Jones draft is still coming back to bite Atlanta in the arse.

10. rajbais says: Nov 12, 2013 10:03 PM

Neither does Richard Seymour.

11. phillyphan72 says: Nov 12, 2013 10:13 PM

The Cardinals have NO CHANCE

12. wwttww says: Nov 12, 2013 10:17 PM

Ray Edwards,Dunta Robinson,Steven Jackson, Sam Baker,Peria Jerry. FA & 1st rd busts. Yeah and the 17 DE’s in the middle rounds are all the same player….and talent. You’ll see if Dimitroff is worth his pay this offseason….when he sticks to the exact same draft routine.

13. eaglesnoles05 says: Nov 12, 2013 11:05 PM

He’s lying, he is happy as heck about it.

14. dodohead418 says: Nov 13, 2013 12:03 AM

Why ask that question in the first place?

15. 303bengalguy says: Nov 13, 2013 12:06 AM

Who knows? I’ll tell you who…

THE ENTIRE WORLD KNOWS the Cards have no shot in hadies at winning the Super Bowl. Hate to break it to you. I’ll bet even Abraham himself knows that.

16. truths4all says: Nov 13, 2013 1:05 AM

For many, mnay years, other NFL teams have had their revolving door of injuries to their major players. During those years, Atlanta remained injury free to their major players.

Finally, there is some justice and Atlanta has some injuries to some of their major players.

No sympathies for them due to their injuries and poor year. Its their time to suck it up and play out the season, just as many other teams have had to do so.

If things were to be equalized, Atlanta has 3 to 4 more years to go of bad injuries to their major players before Karma is balanced.

BTW, Atlanta fans, there is no crying in football, so stop your sniveling.

17. MostlyRight says: Nov 13, 2013 1:14 AM

Who would have thought that at this point in the season the Cards, with one of the toughest predicted season schedules of 2013, would be 5-4 and the Falcons 2-7? And with close losses to the Rams (missed FG and blown lead) and 49ers (end of game rare Fitz fumble in red zone) they could be 7-2.

18. atlfan31833 says: Nov 13, 2013 4:30 AM

@allidoiswin55 post about your team injuries when you lose Lynch for the year or Russell. Otherwise don’t try to even compare your team’s injuries.

Injuries are a part of the game. The Falcons are starting 4-5 rookies on D right now. Two of them were undrafted FA. All things considering they aren’t doing too bad. The pre-season was just extended 16 games for them.

But no crying is right.

19. novoodoo4409 says: Nov 13, 2013 6:35 AM

Saints fan living in ATL….no one cares about the Failcons….worst fan support base ever….Steelers, Pats, GA Dawgs, etc. have more of a following than the Failcons….and, the ones that follow are bandwagon…pathetic….

Saints > Failcons…fact….who dat, we dat..

#wiseup

20. nirvana504 says: Nov 13, 2013 7:35 AM

Nobody cares about the Falcons. Not even Atlanta on a good day.

21. godofwine330 says: Nov 13, 2013 9:02 AM

What he should have said was, “I couldn’t care less about the Falcons struggl-ling.”

Joe Namath will live forever with that quote.

22. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Nov 13, 2013 8:45 PM

I didn’t understand the Falcons letting Abraham go.

And when he was on the market, I thought the Cowboys should have brought him in as an experienced DE to help them convert to the 4-3 defense. He was worth a one year deal. No brainer IMO