Chmura: Finley said he’s having neck surgery on Thursday

Finley AP

After Packers tight end Jermichael Finley suffered a neck injury last month, speculation emerged that the defect that caused him to suffer a spinal cord contusion could require surgery.  Since then, little had been said about the possibility of surgery.

On Monday, former Packers tight end Mark Chmura said plenty.

Appearing on 540 ESPN Milwaukee on Monday, Chmura said Finley has acknowledged surgery will happen this week.

“I will give you a little snibbet,” Chmura said (without identifying the dictionary in which he found the word “snibbet”).  “I got a chance to talk to Jermichael Finley before the game, and I would bet my bottom dollar his career’s over.  Over.  He needs surgery, and it’s herniated in [the C3 and C4 vertebrae]. . . .  I think it’s gonna be a Nick Collins deal.  He’s definitely not gonna play in Green Bay, I’d put my house on that.”

Nick Collins played safety for the Packers, suffered a herniated disc in his neck early in the 2011 season, and never played again,

Chmura added that Finley said surgery is happening soon:  “I believe he’s undergoing surgery on Thursday. . . .  He literally could not move his neck.”

Finley has not specifically addressed whether surgery will happen, and agent Blake Baratz has not responded to a text message seeking comment on whether surgery is planned.

On Monday night, Finley posted on Twitter, “If anyone is made for all this it’s me,” with the hashtag “Road2Recovery.”

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Chmura: Finley said he’s having neck surgery on Thursday”
  1. packermama says: Nov 12, 2013 7:33 AM

From his statements, it seems that this young man has matured tremendously. It is a very tough blow to have a season ending let alone a career ending injury. I am glad he has so much support and the injury insurance his agent recommended. He will be okay and so will the Packers.

2. smedley61 says: Nov 12, 2013 7:36 AM

Thoughts and prayers with you J-Mike. Take care of yourself.

3. skoobyfl says: Nov 12, 2013 7:46 AM

Too bad for him but nobody likes the Packers but upper UP’ers.

4. gtodriver says: Nov 12, 2013 8:03 AM

Hoping for a the best possible resolution for Jermichael.

Football is unimportant at this time in his life.

“He’s definitely not gonna play in Green Bay, I’d put my house on that.”

I can fully understand not wanting to return there… ;)

5. scoops1 says: Nov 12, 2013 8:26 AM

thanks for everything J-Mike….

I hated your antics on the field but you were a beast out there

and you basically owned da bears every time you played em.

6. torethatbridgeout says: Nov 12, 2013 8:27 AM

So sad. Football or no football, here’s hoping he has a long, healthy life.

7. nickynick04 says: Nov 12, 2013 8:29 AM

Best wishes and good luck with your surgery

I am sure the Viking and Bear fans will start bashing you and the Packers for your injury but only they can answer as to why you would wish injury on a fellow human being
    I saw Bear fans routing for Aaron Rogers to get hurt and the same with Viking fans.
    Check the threads , their comments are still there.
    I would never wish an injury on a Bear or Viking player. Even with their comments
    One thing for Lion fans they do not post comments wishing for a Packer to get injured.

8. richcranium2112 says: Nov 12, 2013 8:36 AM

THE BEST of LUCK and surgeon’s skill to JMike!

9. torethatbridgeout says: Nov 12, 2013 8:38 AM

These types of injuries are going to become more common in today’s NFL. Goodell has made it so defensive players HAVE to go low, and when guys like Finley try to protect themselves, you’ll see unexpected helmet to helmet hits in awkward positions.

10. filthymcnasty1 says: Nov 12, 2013 9:03 AM

Good luck in your recovery Jermichael.

11. whatjusthapped says: Nov 12, 2013 9:05 AM

Its also been reported that Finley paid for an insurance policy against injury with a payout of $10 million if he never plays again.

So if he has surgery and elects to play again, the insurance policy is likely void. So whoever pays him to play next year, it has to be a pretty handsome sum to compensate for the $10 mil he would get by just staying home.

Nobody is that stupid, wait, take that back, OK, the Vikings might pay him but nobody else.

12. artvan15 says: Nov 12, 2013 9:08 AM

Not a devastating loss for GB. He was not very reliable catching the ball. Good luck with the neck.

13. tramonisland says: Nov 12, 2013 9:42 AM

If we’ve learned anything as Packers fans it’s to never trust a single word that comes out of Mark Chmura’s mouth. #yotto88 #getwellsoon

14. dsully69 says: Nov 12, 2013 9:47 AM

Oh I am sure this is just what the NFL wants. In a year where we have locker room hazing and bullying and subpoenas being delivered to locker rooms and first degree murder charges being made that a child rapist from 10 years ago reemerges to jump into the NFL spotlight. The league should have a a penal team, the talent would be overwhelming.

15. jefe17 says: Nov 12, 2013 9:50 AM

Ya, because Chmura has always been a stand up and truthful guy. lol.

16. dkrause71 says: Nov 12, 2013 9:54 AM

I tend to think Chmura is correct on this. Even if he isn’t correct on the never playing again side of it, i don’t see the Packers investing money into Finley. The Packers are not going to give him a contract even a quarter (i believe 8M this season) as much as he is making now until he can prove he can play which could well be a full year from the injury. Then it would be up to Finley whether he would want to stay based on that new number.

They have a similar type of player in Brandon Bostick who had a bit of a coming out party this weekend. Obviously he hasn’t proven himself like Finley has of yet but the play style is similar.

Before this injury i thought the Packers might draft a TE in round 2 or 3 and let Finley walk because of salary demands. Now, i think they’ll just let him walk because of injury.

17. saxguru says: Nov 12, 2013 9:58 AM

Surgery or not, Godspeed Jermichael.

18. stellarperformance says: Nov 12, 2013 10:01 AM

He was smiling and signing autographs on TV this morning. I’ll wait for the offical diagnosis, thank you very much.

19. lambeaurules says: Nov 12, 2013 10:02 AM

This is not good news….if its true…

20. contra74 says: Nov 12, 2013 10:13 AM

“He’s definitely not gonna play in Green Bay, I’d put my house on that.”
    —-
    I hope you pay up your debts unlike Rodgers

21. beerbratscheese says: Nov 12, 2013 10:50 AM

Just better better, J-Mike. Get healthy and then think about whether you want to play again.

22. bennyb82 says: Nov 12, 2013 10:52 AM

This is eerie considering his kids asked him to stop playing football after his concussion this year. It would be foolish for him not to see this injury as a huge warning sign.

23. ttommytom says: Nov 12, 2013 11:02 AM

As per his insurance policy : If he never plays again as per who?

The insurance company has a Dr. they retain who will examines Finley. What if says he can play?

24. Punk says: Nov 12, 2013 11:13 AM

Yes, Mark Chmura is the person we should be listening to.

25. aldante66 says: Nov 12, 2013 11:26 AM

Wish him the best. Based on the position he plays, I would be shocked if he is ever cleared to play again.
    I can’t see a Neuro Surgeon signing off on his playing again based on the position he plays -looks of hits to the head and neck.
    Probably could lose some neck mobility as well.

Heck if he is really lucky he goes through life without neck pain, f football.

26. ck44sps says: Nov 12, 2013 11:37 AM

Not good news for Finley for his career. I believe he wasn’t coming back to the pack next season!

27. milkcan44 says: Nov 12, 2013 12:12 PM

What Chmura is saying is contradictory to what Finley is saying. The reader comment about the $10 mil insurance policy further confuses the issue, if true.
    Finley will have to take less money for at least a year to prove he is OK, so may be back with the Pack. However, Thompson will be ultraconservative in making that call, as he is with Sean Richardson, who has been cleared by medical, but is still on reserve.
    In the meantime, Packers play Bostick more, and draft a tight end.

28. vegasgreek says: Nov 12, 2013 12:34 PM

All the Packers with neck injuries never played there again going back to Tim Lewis and Sterling Sharpe . Next was Nick Collins and now Finley. I hate to say it but it’s over in Green Bay for him. The Packers are a conservative franchise and Ted Thompson & Mark Murphy will NOT take that risk .

29. 2ruefan says: Nov 12, 2013 1:31 PM

He may very well be correct and/or correctly informed on this, but why doesn’t Chmura just shut the heck up, leave this for Finley to talk about when he wants to and go read a dictionary.

What a pedophile doofus….

30. granadafan says: Nov 12, 2013 1:35 PM

Playing again is not worth the risk of being paralyzed. I had a very similar injury and condition to Finley after snowboarding. I grew up skiing and snowboarding and love the rush of going down the slopes in fresh powder. However, I also love living a normal life so giving up skiing/snowboarding was an easy one. For Finley, he’ll have to do what’s best for his family. Hopefully, Finley is able to live a long life…. walking.

31. dublindemonszfl says: Nov 12, 2013 1:41 PM

Chmura is a child molesting rapist.

32. bringbackwayne says: Nov 12, 2013 2:25 PM

Chmura said he’d put his house on that. It would be more believable if he said he’d put his hot tub on that.

33. Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 12, 2013 2:33 PM

Still wondering how this guy got off clean for statutory with a slap on the wrist.

34. packmanfan says: Nov 12, 2013 2:53 PM

I will take the word of doctors, J-Mike, or anyone who works for the Packers over the word of an underage baby sitter rapist.

35. sikoix says: Nov 12, 2013 3:20 PM

Check the threads , their comments are still there.

This is one of the dumber generalizations I’ve seen a Packer troll make.

Anyways…

Here’s hoping he makes a full recovery regardless of what he decides in the future.

36. yankeemofo says: Nov 12, 2013 3:22 PM

dsully69 says:
    Nov 12, 2013 9:47 AM
    ——————————————————–

I believe he was acquitted on all charges and reinstated to the NFL.

37. castleofcheese says: Nov 12, 2013 3:23 PM

I find it hard to believe that Finley would give any inside information to Chmura. It was only a couple of years ago that Chmura was very public about his opinion that Finley is a “moron”.

Hey may well need surgery, but for now, I take anything out of Chmura’s mouth with a grain of salt.

38. filthymcnasty1 says: Nov 12, 2013 4:32 PM

It’s sad, but Mark Chmura is a better father than Adrian Peterson.

39. 2ruefan says: Nov 12, 2013 5:20 PM

filthymcnasty1 says: Nov 12, 2013 4:32 PM

It’s sad, but Mark Chmura is a better father than Adrian Peterson.

**********************************

Well, that sounds like nothing more than an opinion, and a stupid one at that.

Peterson is not a rapist. Chmura is.

40. boyshole25 says: Nov 12, 2013 6:35 PM

I have the same hernited discs. He’s def not playin football again

41. hoochbcs says: Nov 12, 2013 8:24 PM

He has ten million tax free if he walks away…he would have to acquire probably 20-25 million in additional career earnings just to break even…could happen but, not likely and at what risk?

I can’t see anyone offering more than 3 million for next year so I think he’d be crazy to keep playing.

42. usdcoyotesfan says: Nov 13, 2013 12:23 AM

A few weeks ago, there was an article saying that Finley wondered if God was punishing him. The week before this injury happened, Finley made a catch for the clinching 1st down against the Ravens. Ray Lewis is convinced that God is punishing Finley for that.

43. Fleura_L says: Nov 19, 2013 7:24 AM

I live in Green Bay and am facing extensive neck and back surgeries for herniation and spondylosis from C 3-4 through C 6-7, at least one spot in my thoracic spine and also my lumbar spine.

Of course I’m not a football player. I’m “just” a military veteran (no VA coverage as Fort McClellan Agent Orange and other toxin vets are not recognized by DoD) and was a Registered Nurse for many years who worked in Newborn Intensive Care taking care of premature and critically ill infants while also raising my children on my own…entirely on my own…because my ex husband skipped state and never paid child support.

No one cheers or throws money at people like me and I’m not saying they should. We lose our jobs and our homes (yes, meaning we become homeless) when something like this happens to us…and our children don’t go to college and the hopes and dreams we have for them turn to dust…even though we did all the right things all our lives and even paid for disability insurance (through a catholic hospital no less) that turned out to be a TOTAL scam.

We can’t even get adequate PAIN care, much less top notch surgeons. We don’t even eat a lot of days because we certainly can’t stand in line at a food pantry! I’d just like to know who is doing Mr. Finley’s surgery because I need someone good with complex cases…someone who takes Medicare. I know…not likely, but giving up isn’t an option for either of us.

Anyway, thanks for all the fantasy points this year Mr. Finley (who knows… he may read this stuff) and my very best to you and your family during what I hope is a very speedy recovery. I wouldn’t wish what you’re going through on anyone. Even without the pain, the immobility and numbness and not knowing if you’re going to keep breathing on your own is scary a can be. Waking up with a GASP with your head pounding and your whole body ice cold and buzzing like a leg that’s fallen asleep is not a pleasant experience.

I also know that no amount of money can make up for the loss of identity that comes with the loss of a beloved career. I wish you well…soon. God bless and yours.