Did Roethlisberger trade rumor come from Steelers?

Ben AP

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger continues to talk about the report that he could ask the team to explore trade options after the season ends.  Even though he doesn’t want to.

I’m tired of it,” Roethlisberger told 93.7 The Fan in Pittsburgh on Tuesday.  “It upsets me.  I have no idea where it came from, and I wish I could find out where it came from because it’s so stinking upsetting.  It just fires me up.  Where do people make this stuff up from?”

Here’s an idea.  What if the Steelers leaked the report to create an offseason market for Roethlisberger, in the event the Steelers need a viable Plan B to extending his contract?

Consider the specific report from Ian Rapoport of NFL Network:  “Steelers sources expect Big Ben to ask them to explore trade options after 2013. They fielded offers for him last offseason.  Could again.”

Steelers sources.  Not sources close to Roethlisberger.  Steelers sources.

“I’d retire before I’d accept a trade,” Roethlisberger said Monday, via Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “I mean, it would have to be something really, really unbelievable for me to even consider it.”

Here’s something that Roethlisberger possibly would regard as “really, really unbelievable.”  With the Steelers needing cap space and Roethlisberger having only two years remaining on his deal and Roethlisberger due to make $12.1 million in 2014 and $11.6 million in 2015, the Steelers will need to extend his contract after the season, and they quite possibly will offer Roethlisberger something far less than he thinks he’s worth.

In Roethlisberger’s mind, that could be “really, really unbelievable.”

Think about the potential gap between Roethlisberger’s perceived value and the team’s assessment of it.  He regards Patriots quarterback Tom Brady as the best quarterback in the game because he has three Super Bowl wins.  This implies that Roethlisberger regards himself as tied for No. 2 along with Giants quarterback Eli Manning, since they each have two.

The top of the market for quarterbacks currently exceeds $20 million per year.  Guys who have won one or zero Super Bowls are making that much or more.  Ben isn’t.  Ben may very well want to be.

Indeed, during his Tuesday appearance on 93.7 The Fan, Roethlisberger danced around the question of whether he’d take less to help the team and stay in Pittsburgh.

“I’m so ignorant when it comes to that stuff,” Roethlisberger said.  “I do what my [agents] tell me and obviously I’ll have my input for thing.  But I’m so ignorant to those things.  Honestly, my job is to play football.”

If Roethlisberger and/or his agents decide that he wants to be paid commensurately with men who have achieved less than he has and if the Steelers decide not to offer that kind of money, the Steelers will need a viable alternative.  And if the Steelers are receiving offers in the offseason for Ben, an alternative path emerges.

Now that the story has emerged, the end result will be the same as if the Steelers launched an auction for Roethlisberger’s services.  And the Steelers will have plenty of leverage, because their official position remains that they want to keep him.

Sure, they want to keep him.  But not at the level of compensation he’ll want to receive under a new contract.

Permalink 90 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
90 Responses to “Did Roethlisberger trade rumor come from Steelers?”
  1. thepftpoet says: Nov 12, 2013 3:29 PM

Notice how this never happens in Minnesota?

2. reed20fence says: Nov 12, 2013 3:30 PM

Ah the good ole days! Ravens and Steelers competing for headlines. Funny how things work out.

3. blakeden says: Nov 12, 2013 3:31 PM

Hey Ben the news came from one of Ian Rapoports sources….Better check with Harry the hot dog vendor. Thats Rapoports inside source. Typical media BS

4. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 12, 2013 3:31 PM

The key here is Ben just wants to get paid and to maximize that payment.

If he is traded, then he gets to negotiate with other teams and take his shot to get the payment he wants, but he has a freeroll chance that PIT has to make a decision on. Do they execute on an exit strategy at the next available time juncture now that they passed up every other one? Or do they think about his long-term future and work out a deal to adjust his contract now?

Ben has nothing to lose to see if PIT will make a deal that is more favorable than waiting to take his chances with negotiating with other teams. If he gets an impressive offer then no need to talk to them. If not, then he will. Only PIT has this unique position and first-mover action that is a bonus opportunity for Ben to secure the money he wants.

5. heisthejuan says: Nov 12, 2013 3:31 PM

The player and the fanbase match each other too well for Ben to go anywhere. Awful people rooting for an awful person.

6. zonedogz says: Nov 12, 2013 3:31 PM

“With their 1st pick in the 2014 NFL draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select QB……

7. doctorrustbelt says: Nov 12, 2013 3:32 PM

Giant cap hit whether he stays or goes.
    Low character teams are not loyal.
    Ask Mike Webster.

That said…. I wouldn’t put it past roethlisberger and his agent to float a trade since ben would rather quit on pittsburgh than face the obvious return of the Bubby Brister Era.

8. nyjetsfan08 says: Nov 12, 2013 3:33 PM

Peyton Manning is a Bronco. That’s all you need to know.

9. ralphtherealravenfan says: Nov 12, 2013 3:33 PM

I hate the Steelers. But unless they want to be picking in the top half of the draft every year, they’d better extend Ben. Is Landry Jones the answer? Ummm…doubt that. Their front office needs to make that line a respectable NFL front or it doesn’t matter if Otto Graham is their quarterback.

10. Joemontanaflacco says: Nov 12, 2013 3:34 PM

When you get thumped by Oakland and trounced by New England in historic fashion, you’ll do anything to stay on the media’s radar. Floating rumors that Roethlisbooger is getting the boot makes him a limited quantity instead of the old has Ben that he’s become.

11. crownofthehelmet says: Nov 12, 2013 3:34 PM

The Steelers would be wise to negotiate sooner rather than later. Ben’s value will skyrocket after winning his 3rd SB this year.

12. dietrich43 says: Nov 12, 2013 3:36 PM

Ben is ignorant of a lot of things.

13. 4thquartermagic says: Nov 12, 2013 3:36 PM

Minnesota seems like a good landing spot. Ben thrived in a run first offense that allowed him to freelance.

AP and Ben could win that division.

However, I don’t see where the Steelers get better here. Picks are a crapshoot.

14. ingraven says: Nov 12, 2013 3:38 PM

Don’t get rid of him please. The Ravens/Steelers games wont be the same.

15. doctorrustbelt says: Nov 12, 2013 3:38 PM

2014 Cap Hit = $17,895,000

2015 Cap Hit = $17,395,000

That’s a big hit for a declining player who can’t wins games.

16. ingraven says: Nov 12, 2013 3:41 PM

crownofthehelmet says: Nov 12, 2013 3:34 PM

——————————————————–
    haha EPIC comment. This was great.

17. tvguy22 says: Nov 12, 2013 3:41 PM

Uh oh. Trouble in paradise?

18. kpizzow says: Nov 12, 2013 3:41 PM

But Ben isn’t getting $20 million for multiple years from anyone else either. He has been great but you can see him breaking down. He plays so hard that you can see his career ending abruptly. The QB draft is deep next year – if you need one you will draft one, pay him 1/20 of Ben’s salary and build around him.

19. steeltuff says: Nov 12, 2013 3:43 PM

Considering how badly the team has played the past couple seasons, everyone should be expendable, including the entire coaching staff. Too bad GM Colbert won’t be expendable too, considering his (and Tomlin’s) bad drafts. If they’re going to rebuild, everyone should be on the table, especially the big-contract guys like Ben, Troy, Keisel, and Clark, and underachievers like Hood and Worilds.

20. 6ball says: Nov 12, 2013 3:46 PM

The Steelers need help on both sides of the ball. About the only very marketable assets they have are Roethlisberger and their 1st round pick (currently #7).

If they dealt BR, their cap distress would be alleviated. The early pick could then be used on one of the several highly rated QB’s available in the draft. There is reportedly a strong crop coming out .

A new, young signal caller might be just what’s needed to get the team back on track.

21. peytonwantsaflag says: Nov 12, 2013 3:46 PM

but aren’t the Rooneys too classy to do something like this? I remember how that liar Bruce Arians told them he wanted to retire and then turned around and got another job.

22. crownofthehelmet says: Nov 12, 2013 3:50 PM

Hey drrust, that is a big hit, but not quite as big as an entire salary cap for a team that can’t win a playoff game. Not to mention millions more for a coaching staff who doesn’t know to punt at midfield in OT.

23. doctorrustbelt says: Nov 12, 2013 3:52 PM

jarvis jones is a BUST.

david decastro is a BUST.

cameron heyward is a BUST.

24. steelcurtainn says: Nov 12, 2013 3:53 PM

Oh come on. Cut the gossip out. These articles are worse then day time soap operas. Someone sure likes to stir the pot. There were no trade rumors coming for the steelers. Eventually, something will become of it, and my money says either stays a steeler or retires.

25. dankinator says: Nov 12, 2013 3:54 PM

crownofthehelmet says: Nov 12, 2013 3:34 PM

Haha, awesome troll.

The only bowl ole Ben is winning is cleaning of the toilet bowl.

That team isn’t sniffing the playoffs anywhere in the next few seasons.

26. bigbenownsthenfl says: Nov 12, 2013 3:54 PM

i would love to see him traded to the browns and then come back and smash the steelers for the next 4 years. and win a super bowl for the browns. lets face it folks the browns are a franchise QB away from going somewhere and ben would put them over the top. and it would be hysterical to see him crush the steelers and watch bobzilla and deb cry like lil babies!!! I don’t wanna see ben go, but if he does I want him to crush the steelers wherever he goes. just for those fans like bobzilla and deb, who truly don’t appreciate having a franchise QB!!!

27. getyourownname says: Nov 12, 2013 3:55 PM

crownofthehelmet says:
    Nov 12, 2013 3:34 PM
    Ben’s value will skyrocket after winning his 3rd SB this year.
    +++++++++++++++++++

So, now we have confirmation he will be traded.

28. briscocountyjr says: Nov 12, 2013 3:55 PM

“Roethlisberger regards himself as tied for No. 2 along with Giants quarterback Eli Manning, since they each have two.”

Who could even imagine Eli is #2?? Hahahaha- Eli is the most overrated QB in the league.

29. jjb0811 says: Nov 12, 2013 3:56 PM

Ship him for 2 2′s, like what SF did this past offseason. Of course SF shipped off a perfect 9-0 Smith & kept a sub par Kaep, always a risk.

30. dolphindad says: Nov 12, 2013 3:59 PM

pretty obvious he’ll be in AZ next year. probably a good thing for the Steelers as they need a rebuilding job. with the new rookie salary cap they can pay some draft pick a little bit of money over the next 4 years.

31. tavisteelersfan says: Nov 12, 2013 4:05 PM

Roethlisberger is sitting pretty. All he has to do is deny that he wants to leave.

He’ll get paid.

Look at this list: Russell, Leaf, Leinhart, Gabbert, Weeden, Sanchez, Ponder, Young, Akili Smith, Quinn, etc.

Winning Quarterbacks are hard to find in the draft. It was a long and dismal stretch between Bradshaw and Big Ben.

I hope the Steelers restructure and pay him what he needs for the next 5-7 years.

32. @Cereal_22 says: Nov 12, 2013 4:15 PM

Roethlisberger is so fake who knows how he really feels ???

33. scoobies05 says: Nov 12, 2013 4:17 PM

crown, if ben leads this team to a superbowl title i will come on here and say he is the greatest qb ever(even better than flacco). on a side note, is it me or is drrustbelt completely delusional. say what you want about flacco, but the ravens WON playoff games his first two seasons…what has cinci done with dalton besides lose to the texans twice

34. Joemontanaflacco says: Nov 12, 2013 4:22 PM

How about the Ravens’ practice squad? James Ihedigbo can work on defending against desperation hail marys.

35. apkyletexas says: Nov 12, 2013 4:24 PM

In the past, “Steeler sources” almost always meant “Bruce Arians” or his agents.

His persistent leaking and cowardly “anonymous” sniping at Tomlin is one of the big reasons the Rooneys got sick of him.

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if he decided to try his hand at a little tampering to get his qb back again in the desert.

36. Nofoolnodrool says: Nov 12, 2013 4:25 PM

Funny how a raven troll calls Ben a has been when the ravens have lost two straight to steeler has beens in Batch and Ben. Just shows how some trolls will say anything to get attention.

37. packerbackernj says: Nov 12, 2013 4:26 PM

thepftpoet says:
    Notice how this never happens in Minnesota?
    ———-

Notice how Minnesota never has a QB for this to happen with? The only reason it happens is because QBs are the most important player on the team. Only player on the Vikings any team would want is AP, but most teams would rather allocate the money Minnesota pays a running back, to a franchise QB.

38. beardinals says: Nov 12, 2013 4:28 PM

To quote Bruce Arians from yesterday:

“Ben is like a second son to me. We play a lot of golf together — he flew out here in March and we played golf and he lives around the corner from me down at Reynolds Plantation in Georgia. My children and he are very close.”

He also said:
    “He’s going to be a Steeler for life, I don’t think there’s any doubt.”

We’ll see.

39. ledzep826 says: Nov 12, 2013 4:30 PM

maybe he could go to the ravens they need a quarterback who can play up to nfl standards

40. farvite says: Nov 12, 2013 4:32 PM

This would be an unfortunate divorce.

Classlessberger and Steelers fans are made for eachother.

41. fumblenuts says: Nov 12, 2013 4:35 PM

“I wish I could find out where it came from because it’s so stinking upsetting. It just fires me up.”

Maybe it’s from Mike Tomlin attempting to unleash hell again??

42. bobzilla1001 says: Nov 12, 2013 4:39 PM

bigbenownsthemedia:
    There was a Steelers team long before Roethlisberger, and there will be a Steelers team long after he’s gone. No player is bigger than the franchise.
    Getting rid of the Big Ben Groupies won’t happen fast enough to suit me. I wish you and Ben well over there in Cleveland.
    Meanwhile, GO STEELERS!!!

43. Tyler says: Nov 12, 2013 4:42 PM

From what I’ve seen, the Steelers should keep:

Dick Lebeau
    Lawrence Timmons
    Lamarr Woodley
    Jarvis Jones

… and that’s about it.

P.S. I’m a fan of the black and gold, but they’ve clearly become the black and old.

44. pittsburgh361 says: Nov 12, 2013 4:44 PM

Really only people on here talking bout this ben ordeal wether or not hes staying or going our people that like the browns vikes or any other team out there that has no qb. Well if hes not going to stay for a team like pittsburgh then what you think hes going to a team that has no shot to make a run at a superbowl. Ben has a 18 mil cap hit. One site if he goes theres still a 14 mill cap hit if traded due to his contract being reworked for the last few years. So what do you gain you loose a franchise qb your still hit with a cap hit and you set youself back 3 to 5 years. They will resign him and do a cap friendly brady deal. Because sorry to all you people out there hes not going to the browns vikes or arz. If hes going to rebuild with a team hes going to stay put. And the only way there going to make a trade and he goes through with it. A superbowl contender well what good does that do for us 25 and below pick??

45. zam0854 says: Nov 12, 2013 4:46 PM

I would trade Big Ben for a pack of envelopes and a free steak dinner at Outback

46. steelchampions says: Nov 12, 2013 4:48 PM

The fact is the Steelers cap situation is such that a move like this isn’t out of the question. Is it the right move? Maybe not, but they need to get the books to balance or it won’t matter whose the QB.

Here’s another thought: The Steelers are staring a high pick right in the face if you consider how they could finish the season (4-12 or 5-11 or 6-10?). They might be able to trade out that pick for a couple lower round picks that will cost less in terms of contracts and potentially have more than one need addressed at more than one position.

And don’t let the ‘media-speak’ fool you; Ben knows what he wants to be paid and knows whether or not he’s willing to take less. Might as well say “My agent told me to say this…”

47. bensstinkyfingers says: Nov 12, 2013 4:50 PM

What Ben is failing to realize, is that he may not have any say in the matter. As crazy as it may seem to him and most steeler fans, they may already have it in their mind to trade or release him after the season. makes sense for rebuilding team, and if they can get a team to bite on trade, might be financially good move for the future. As a browns fan from Findlay Oh. area, I hoped the browns would draft him, but instead went with Kellen “soldier” Winslow, (another great move SMH. Now, I’m not sure how much value, he would have, still a solid QB, but getting more immobile by the game, and teams looking for future will be searching via 2014 draft. Hopefully he can will the dump of a team back to relevance and retire on a decent note, or get traded to a playoff team, I don’t think the steelers will be sniffing playoffs anytime soon however.

48. don2074978 says: Nov 12, 2013 5:00 PM

“I’m so ignorant when it comes to that stuff,” Roethlisberger said. “I do what my [agents] tell me and obviously I’ll have my input for thing. But I’m so ignorant to those things. Honestly, my job is to play football.”

When a player says something like that I hope he is watching his agent or has someone he trusts watching his agent. And by “agent” I mean anyone who has control over his finances. Me I’d hire an accountant who could watch but not touch my accounts just to make sure I wasn’t getting screwed

49. weepingjebus says: Nov 12, 2013 5:01 PM

“I wish I could find out where it came from because it’s so stinking upsetting. It just fires me up. Where do people make this stuff up from?”

I usually don’t feel much sympathy for millionaires that play a sport as an actual career, but he definitely sounds concussed.

50. CKL says: Nov 12, 2013 5:03 PM

bigbenownsthenfl says:
    Nov 12, 2013 3:54 PM
    ________________________________
    Or they are more realistic about their QB’s abilities and weaknesses maybe??? And that they have both been fans for so long that they know players come and go but you root for LAUNDRY and never root for a former player playing AGAINST your laundry???

The way even average ish QBs get paid anymore, I’d almost contemplate just getting rid of them after their rookie deals, and maybe one franchise tag if you need a suitable replacement. contrary to what some media want you to believe you do NOT need an “elite” Qb to win a SB. Only 2-3 Qbs in the NFL should get paid those 100 mill type deals, not any of them once their deals are up and they have started a few years. It’s ridiculous. You’d have to be a very secure owner/HC/GM combo though to do it. I’d like to see my Pats try it after TB is gone.

51. subliminalsteeler says: Nov 12, 2013 5:09 PM

The Steelers do not do business that way. Ben would know before all of us if a trade was going down. I think the media needs more to talk about, so they had to come up with something. I’m surprised it wasn’t about changing their name from Steelers to something else because it offended somebody. Instead of the Oneida nation, it was Steeler nation that was offended. Lol.

52. Deb says: Nov 12, 2013 5:09 PM

“I’m so ignorant when it comes to that stuff. I do what my [agents] tell me and obviously I’ll have my input for thing. But I’m so ignorant to those things. Honestly, my job is to play football.”

That may be the single most unbelievable comment Ben Roethlisberger has ever uttered. I’m no Einstein when it comes to math, either, but have always said that if you want me to understand figures, you only need to drop a dollar sign in front of them. When discussing a job, I know exactly where the lines are drawn that make a contract not worth considering. You can bet Roethlisberger has a number attached to his sense of worth, too. And his comments about championships determining QB value give a pretty clear idea where that number is.

53. steelersaregodsteam says: Nov 12, 2013 5:19 PM

This was all manufactured by the media.

Meanwhile, the Steelers continue their march.

10-2 run continues.

You’re jealous?

54. olcap says: Nov 12, 2013 5:26 PM

My belief is that those Steeler backers who say good riddance to BR, they don’t need him, he’s washed up, stupid…

Whatever.

You will deserve the even lower levels of despair you will have upon your team’s return to the dark days, 4o years during which they never even had a PLAYOFF game. I hope you enjoy it. And with the people running the show, it will be bad, as they have already set TWO new team records in the hall of shame this season so far, topping even anything bad that happened during the miserable decades.

55. Nofoolnodrool says: Nov 12, 2013 5:28 PM

bigbenownsthemedia:
    Meanwhile, GO STEELERS!!!

I think a lot of steeler fans would agree a big benefit of Big Ben leaving would be less of your arrogant all knowing posts.
    However, egocentric anal retentives don’t change their spots so you would find another ax to grind into the ground.

56. pftstory says: Nov 12, 2013 5:32 PM

People like to list the QB busts in drafts, how far back were Leak and Akili Smith drafted.
    You go back a long time to feel you have a strong bust list.

But what about Manning, Manning, Rivers, Luck, Rodgers, Brees, Newton, Stafford, Flacco? All high draft picks that did not bust.

We still have RGIII, Ryan, Alex Smith, who are recent high picks whose place is clearly defined as a top QB, but are not busts.

So it’s not the crap shoot some claim it is. It could just be bad GM’s making bad chioces and the good GM’s not taking those busts.

=========
    So I guess the same applies to Ben and his next contract. The Steelers do tend to let someone else make the mistake of giving their stars their last big contract. The one their play no longer justifies. That would appear to be the case here. Is Ben worth the $20 mil range? I don’t see it. Which team with a bad QB would give it to him that he would go to? Is it worth $20 mil per to go to Jax and lose while they attempt to rebuild? Is Jax willing to not take the top QB in the draft? Is Minny, or Tampa a QB away?
    I think you need a team that is a QB away in order for Ben to want to go there, AND a team crazy enough to overpay him for the tail end of his career.

57. wizahdry says: Nov 12, 2013 5:40 PM

I think it is more realistic IOU

I think the Steelers will first look to draft Ben’s replacement in the draft and see how he takes it. With 2 years left they can take it slow and make sure there is a successor in line. It’s not like there won’t be a team around to trade picks for him. Carson Palmer is living proof of the value of a half decent qb in this league!

58. kwjsb says: Nov 12, 2013 6:03 PM

“It upsets me. I have no idea where it came from, and I wish I could find out where it came from because it’s so stinking upsetting. It just fires me up. Where do people make this stuff up from?”

———————————————————–
    Ben did it himself for the press.
    It was written on the ladies room wall.

59. steeltroll says: Nov 12, 2013 6:07 PM

This article is a shameless means to pile up clicks. Nothing else. He’s 31. His replacement is in HS.

60. dodohead418 says: Nov 12, 2013 6:20 PM

How many other head QBs have their own radio station?

61. sandersmarcus10 says: Nov 12, 2013 6:22 PM

He wouldnt retire if its the right situation and he went to a better team

62. geefan1 says: Nov 12, 2013 6:23 PM

The Steelers captains held a team meeting today to put these rumors to rest. Then they all some tapioca pudding and a nice nap. Tomorrow they’re starting their shuffleboard tournament.

63. hrmlss says: Nov 12, 2013 6:43 PM

Minnesota trades for him and pays him BIG. Write it down now.

64. Deb says: Nov 12, 2013 6:48 PM

olcap says:
    Nov 12, 2013 5:26 PM

————————————————-
    For someone ranting at Steeler fans, you really don’t know your Steeler history, do you? The Steelers made the playoffs during that 40 years, they just didn’t win any playoff games.

Can’t speak for others, but I haven’t said Roethlisberger is washed up. I’ve said he’s being paid more than he’s giving back at this point in his career. What I don’t understand, as someone who loves the team is when this one player became more important than THE STEELERS. We watched Franco Harris become a Seahawk … Rod Woodson become a 49er, a Raider, and a Raven. Dallas saw Emmitt Smith become a Cardinal. The 49ers saw their four-time Super Bowl champion QB Joe Montana become a Chief. The Packers saw the guy who revitalized their franchise become a hated Viking. Peyton left Indy.

Why is it sacrilege for some Steelers diehards to suggest we’re getting to the end of the Roethlisberger era? The irrationality some people are displaying in these discussions is mind-boggling.

65. bobzilla1001 says: Nov 12, 2013 6:53 PM

bigfool:
    Instead of being so hostile toward those who actually follow the Steelers, put down your Big Ben coloring book and prove us wrong … with some insightful info, instead of with your boorish, childish, nonsensical insults.
    Of course, that might require you to have to actually know something … about anything.
    So… never mind.

66. steelersaregodsteam says: Nov 12, 2013 6:55 PM

Remember when my team beat your team in the Super Bowl? Oh, that’s right, you’ve never been. LOL

67. crownofthehelmet says: Nov 12, 2013 6:57 PM

right on scoobs. I think the good doctor has been misdiagnosed somewhere along the way.

68. whyamiacowboysfanagain says: Nov 12, 2013 7:38 PM

I’m surprised so many Steeler fans seem to agree its time to rid themselves of this guy….. So I have a legitimate question for all Steeler fans….. Romo for Big Ben straight up. Yes or No?

69. cgsuddeath says: Nov 12, 2013 7:41 PM

What we have here is the media trying to make a story.With that said,both parties have come out to tell the rumor mongers that they are creating a story and it is false.And reading this story today I am seeing the media trying to save face after being caught in a lie.Too bad that sports journalism has been reduced to tabloid journalism like the National Enquirer.

70. steelcurtainn says: Nov 12, 2013 7:47 PM

We are not at the end of Big Ben era. Big Ben IMO still has 3-4 years to play for the steelers and I wouldn’t even consider a trade until that point. All these trade rumors are just that….rumors. No way Big Ben gets traded. To me all this is just another way to try and create distraction for the team… I know the steelers are going to eventually have to replace Big Ben but now is not the time. Big Ben wants to be in Pittsburgh to win another championship and I believe a couple year deal will get done whether Big Ben takes a reduction in salary or he stays and the Rooneys pay him. This team needs to worry about getting the right pieces around him.(Wr, OLINE) They need to stop with the rumors. IMO, At this point in Big Bens career I’m either fine with letting him play out his contract or extending him a couple years. I do believe over the next few drafts you start looking for his replacement. No way do you even consider trading him after the season. Sounds crazy but playoffs are still within( a weak AFC). Go Steelers!

71. iwilltrollyoubad says: Nov 12, 2013 7:59 PM

The guy that started this rumor was actually that one guy that pretended he was Brian St. Pierre. Look it up.

72. bobzilla1001 says: Nov 12, 2013 8:07 PM

whyamiacowboysfanagain:
    Even though I personally believe there are at least 10 QBs (Romo being one of them) in the NFL more productive than Roethlisberger, this isn’t about trading anyone “straight up.”
    Romo just signed an obscene contract, a contract that the Steelers would inherit. If they can’t afford to pay Roethlisberger, they certainly can’t afford to pay Romo.
    Nothing personal.
    This is a business matter.
    Roethlisberger has to decide if he’s willing to give all his adoring fans a “hometown discount.” Obviously he isn’t, at least that’s what he said on the radio.

73. brownsclown says: Nov 12, 2013 8:09 PM

Joe Bummer could make him the highest paid quarterback in the NFL if he wants to come back to Ohio.

And then the Steelers could have Weeden.

Nice. Real Nice.

74. badmoonrison says: Nov 12, 2013 8:19 PM

I believe everything Ben is saying. He is putting his money where his mouth is by saying he would rather retire than be traded. Ya gotta give him the benefit of the doubt. He’s still a solid QB.

75. citizenstrange says: Nov 12, 2013 8:41 PM

Roethlisberger will be a Steeler through 2015 and Tomlin will be the Steelers head coach through 2016.

By that time it will be six years in a row without a playoff win starting with getting Tebowed two years ago and hopefully 2017 will see the Steelers with a new head coach and quarterback.

While both are below average at their jobs Roethlisberger and Tomlin both had the deaf, dumb and blind luck to land in Pittsburgh during the LeBeau years where through no talent or skill of their own they were handed six or seven 13-9 wins every year.

76. Deb says: Nov 12, 2013 8:44 PM

@steelcurtainn …

We’re coming to the end of the Big Ben era in Pittsburgh, though not necessarily this season. He has a few years left in the league–and probably would like to stay with the Steelers. But the team can’t pay the money he’s indicating he wants. And unfortunately, we’re not enough of a threat for anyone to try distracting us with rumors. The media just likes a good story.

@whyamiacowboysfanagain …

No. Even without the contract complications, the Steelers don’t need another team’s leftovers. Better to draft new talent.

77. apkyletexas says: Nov 12, 2013 9:17 PM

@citizenstrange – you are obviously too young to recall the Steelers of the 1980′s.

You have no idea what “below average” quarterbacking looks like. You and an entire young generation of Steeler fans have been totally spoiled by the past 9 years of elite QB play from #7. The guy has blown away nearly every Steeler passing record, and has set far too many NFL passing records to list, all of which had nothing to do with LeBeau’s defenses.

Now go back to watching your shows on MTV and chatting with your little buddies on Facebook, or whatever you crazy young punks do these days.

78. bobzilla1001 says: Nov 12, 2013 9:47 PM

I’m absolutely astounded that so many know so little about the dynamics of a contract.
    Allowing Roethlisberger to either play out his contract or extending him a couple of years for the sake of winning another Super Bowl is laughable, to say the least. Those two scenarios are wrong on so many different levels.
    The Steelers will want compensated (via draft picks) for Roethlisberger’s potential departure, and Roethlisberger will want the financial security of a lucrative contract that’s more long-term than just a “couple of years.”

brownsclown:
    Here’s Roethlisberger’s importance to the Steelers: They’ve lost with him and they’ve won without him. The Steelers are 4-9 in Roethlisberger’s past 13 starts, and they are 6-3 since 2010 when Roethlisberger hasn’t played.
    Bring up Weeden’s name doesn’t scare me. The Steelers were relevant and winning games long before Roethlisberger.

Deb:
    Can’t say that I wouldn’t mind having Cam Newton.

79. handsofsteelhartofstone says: Nov 12, 2013 10:32 PM

Ben isn’t going anywhere. The o line is the problem. Not ben not the d and not Todd haley or Tomlin. Anyone who knows anything about football knows that if your o line is a liability such as Pittsburghs is right now you don’t have a prayer unless you have a defense like the 85 bears or 76 steelers

80. steelcurtainn says: Nov 12, 2013 10:50 PM

@deb
    I know Big Bens time playing for the steelers is near a close. Absolutely not, by seasons end, or by the end of his current contract which runs a couple more years. As I mention, I hope he sticks around for 3-4 years and wins another championship. I would love to see him silence any critics despite the numbers people say he put up. I don’t really care about numbers and I am sure Big Ben doesn’t either, only championships. That’s all we all want.

It will be interesting to see if he does take the hometown discount. If he was smart he would. He’s got enough money to last him a few lifetimes. At this point in his career, championships is all its about and no better place to secure his 3rd and the steelers 7th then in Pittsburgh.

81. tavisteelersfan says: Nov 13, 2013 7:34 AM

Steelers edge in this relates to managing their cap. They have him signed for two more years, plus, they could play the Franchise Tag card. The issue is they would not get his help in managing the cap through restructures. That means other players will need to cough up more.
    I think the best play is to do a new deal, very long term, with a honking signing bonus. Then pray that at some point the cap starts to rise again.

82. robertbonn2013 says: Nov 13, 2013 8:14 AM

Irregardless of his off field behavior. this dude is one heck of a QB. I cannot help imagining what his
    performances would be with even an average NFL offensive line and running game .. I contribute his predicament to the new top operating CEO ..Art Rooney . He is another Jerry Jones .. a hands on owner not like the Steelers of old .
    a dishearten Steeler fan …

83. holeinone09 says: Nov 13, 2013 8:43 AM

Yes, because of financial considerations and prior moves by the team, the Steelers and Ben may not be able to come to a mutually agreeable deal on an extension, but hopefully they will. I do believe Ben has 3-5 more very productive years. He is a franchise QB and they don’t come around frequently. I hope he stays and retires a Steeler, that would be most appropriate, but it may not work out that way unfortunately.

It is a shame the Steelers wasted Ben’s recent few years on a poor OL and running game. Yes, the defense was at the top of the league but often times they gave up points late in the game and could not hold the lead. But I am talking about the offense. Of course Ben like any player could have played better than he did, but IMHO he has played pretty well, all things considered. Ben was forced to run for his life, improvise, and pass because there was no solid running game. That caused him to take more sacks than necessary (although his style of play caused some sacks), make mistakes since he was trying to pull plays out of his a$$ to make something happen and they had to rely on the pass so much, etc. Their offense was not built around dominating with the pass, they did not have the talent on offense to do that.

But, Ben like anyone wants to make money and will consider that at contract time. No one can blame him. The Steelers cap situation is awful, but it is not Ben’s fault. Some have said the problem is his contract. Are you kidding me? He has played out his contract, unlike some players that want to renegotiate before the end. And IMO he has at least earned if not OUTPLAYED his contract. Go look at what QBs are signing for the past few years and look at Ben’s cost right now. Give me a break. How may of those QBs have gone to 3 Super Bowls and were part of 2 winners? You have to look at contributions made during those entire seasons.

Everyone goes. Joe Greene, Terry Bradshaw, Mel Blount, Jerome Bettis, etc, and so will Ben. Just remember two things when Ben is gone:

1. If the OL still plays like a swiss cheese, you better have as big, durable and mobile as Ben has been.

2. Mark Malone. David Woodley. Scott Campbell. Bubby Brister. Steve Bono. Reggie Collier. Todd Blackledge. Rick Strom. Neil O’Donnell. Mike Tomczak. Jim Miller. Kordell Stewart. Mike Quinn. Pete Gonzalez. Kent Graham. Tommy Maddox. Dennis Dixon. Charlie Batch. Got it?

84. bobzilla1001 says: Nov 13, 2013 10:39 AM

holeinone:
    Either top-ranked or top-5 scoring defenses from 2004 to 2011. Got it?
    Statistically-challenged quarterbacks who average only 20 TD passes per season need an elite defense to be successful.
    Trent Dilfer, Alex Smith, Eli Manning, Matt Schaub, Joe Flacco, Colin Kaepernick, and, yes, Ben Roethlisberger.
    Even Terry Bradshaw relied on a great defense his first several seasons, including his first two Super Bowl wins. Not until 1978, when bump-and-run was outlawed, did Bradshaw become a Hall-of-Fame playmaker.
    Also, Roethlisberger will have to look far and wide to find an O-line in today’s NFL that’s even remotely adequate.
    You really should watch other games that involve other teams. Nearly every QB in the league takes a pounding due to their inept O-lines. Only Drew Brees has what I would call a quality O-line.
    But I agree.
    In a perfect world, one in which defenses are banned entirely, Roethlisberger would be amazing.

85. holeinone09 says: Nov 13, 2013 11:53 AM

bobz says: You really should watch other games that involve other teams. Nearly every QB in the league takes a pounding due to their inept O-lines.

bobz, you should go watch other teams, their QBs are not sacked anywhere near as much as Ben over the years. Are you kidding me? Are you saying that other teams have about the same issues with their OL as the Steelers have, including this year, with all the injuries, shuffling, etc? Then why are the Steelers also having one of their worst running years in their entire history, and near the bottom of the league? Are you an expert and watch every game of every other team? I doubt that. I realize you will never ever give Ben the credit he deserves. You are pig-headed and make little sense more often than not. That is your problem, not mine. When he is gone, you will be happy. I will be happy for you.

86. bobzilla1001 says: Nov 13, 2013 12:57 PM

Roethlisberger has an excellent excuse for being sacked more often than most QBs: He can’t read defenses and holds the ball too long.
    Secondly, the Steelers’ running game hasn’t been the offense’s main staple since 2006 … because they refuse to utilize a blocking fullback, and they don’t make running the ball a priority, as they once did.
    Thirdly, I watch as much football that’s allowed by law. I am a football freak. I love football. Can’t get enough of it. I also watch Steelers games multiple times, via the magic of videotaping.
    Finally, the Steelers are 4-9 in Roethlisberger’s past 13 starts. This season, they are 3-6. Roethlisberger might not be the main problem, but his 15 turnovers have certainly been a contributing factor.
    In order to carry a defense that’s gone from elite to awful, the Steelers are going to need a QB who isn’t a placekicker’s worst nightmare.
    When Ben is gone, I shall to continue to watch. Because that’s what I do.

87. holeinone09 says: Nov 13, 2013 2:17 PM

Now you say “Roethlisberger might not be the main problem”!!! OMG you finally admitted it!! That has been my main point with you and others for weeks, while I have clearly said he can play better!! You finally agreed with me!!! Will wonders never cease??!!!

Also, the Steelers are 4-9 in Antonio Brown’s last 13 starts. In Ramon Foster’s last 13 starts. In Gilbert’s last 13 starts. In Keisel’s last 13 starts. In Woodley’s last 13 starts. In Timmon’s last 13 starts. In Ike Taylor’s last 13 starts. In Ryan Clark’s last 13 starts. What is your point to that stat? I didn’t realize Ben was the entire team and played every position, both offense and defense.

88. steelcurtainn says: Nov 13, 2013 2:49 PM

Its called a “TEAM GAME”. Quotes I have been saying for months. Some people will never get it. You win as a team and lose as one. There is not one individual out of the steelers 6 losses you can solely blame. Its a little bit from the offense and defense this year. Big Ben is obviously not the main problem with this offense. Obviously, The fact that the steelers have been struggling running the ball is one of the main reasons the offense has struggled AGAIN. Doesn’t that start with your line which has been juggled around all year long AGAIN…….. I’m hoping for better results running the ball in the second half of the season. Some better wr play(dropped passes) would be nice too.

89. bobzilla1001 says: Nov 13, 2013 3:57 PM

The next time the Steelers win when Roethlisberger plays his usual average self, please make sure you give the “W” to the entire team and not just to the quarterback.
    When Roethlisberger says it’s all about the “wins,” hope you realize he actually believes the “W” should be attached to his personal W/L record.
    Glad you guys agree me and not with him.
    I feel better now.

90. Nofoolnodrool says: Nov 13, 2013 4:05 PM

When Ben is gone, I shall to continue to watch. Because that’s what I do.

I can assure you no one cares what you do….wait we wish you would get off Bens hump and realize football is a team sport requiring eleven men line up against eleven men. It’s not Ben playing all twenty two positions as you seem to think. For someone saying I know nothing about football your glaring focus on one players performance shows your lack of perspective and narrow minded focus …..but hey some one with ego issues like you it’s expected but as you love to say…..pathetic.