John Fox says he expects to return as Broncos’ coach this season

Redskins Broncos Football AP

John Fox is out of the hospital but currently remains at his home in Charlotte while recovering from aortic heart valve replacement surgery last week.

Fox won’t put a timeline on his recovery but he fully intends on returning to the sidelines this season as head coach for the Denver Broncos.

“Oh yeah, I don’t think there is any question,” Fox said in a conference call with reporters Tuesday to update his recovery. “There’s always a question – that’s why I don’t like putting timelines – but my goal and dream is to be there obviously before the conclusion of this season.”

“I don’t really like putting timelines on it. I can just tell you that I’m working very hard to get better and I feel like my doctors are pleased that I’ve improved every day. So things are going great. I like where I’m at right now and we’ll see where that leaves us.”

Fox described the incident at a North Carolina golf course that left him to get evaluated with surgery ultimately being necessary to repair a heart defect. Fox said he never lost consciousness but became very light-headed and got tunnel vision before having to sit down and lay down on the ground to alleviate the condition. The evaluation revealed a heart valve was nearly completely closed and required the surgery to fix the issue.

Fox says the recovery is coming along well.

“I think the fact that the normal length of open heart surgery is five to seven days – I was out in four,” Fox said.

“There is always some scary parts to it, and I’m past those. Right now it’s a matter of just doing the right thing. I’ve got good docs, I’ve got a great team in charge of me and they’re doing a terrific job. I’m feeling better every day.”

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
18 Responses to “John Fox says he expects to return as Broncos’ coach this season”
  1. broncomane2012 says: Nov 12, 2013 11:48 PM

Get well soon coach Fox!

2. kd75 says: Nov 13, 2013 12:59 AM

“There is no such thing as a ‘minor’ Heart attack.”
    ~John Mellencamp

Take an extended break. You have a family. Don’t rush back and be the first coach to die on the sidelines.

You have plenty of money. Work a stress free TV job for a few years.

3. punterturnedpiratelouieaguiarrr says: Nov 13, 2013 2:24 AM

Wait, how does a guy “work really hard to get better” from open heart surgery?

I’m no doctor, but rest is probably a good idea.

Or maybe he’s just getting all coach-y coach-y and sending a subtle message to his players to “work really hard” rehabbing from their injuries because see that’s what I’m doing.

4. vegasgreek says: Nov 13, 2013 2:29 AM

great news ! then he’ll DROP DEAD when the Donkeys get beat by the Raiders in Oaktown.

5. bingobrown12 says: Nov 13, 2013 2:53 AM

Take your time John, I got this.
    Del Rio

Oh god.

6. icdogg says: Nov 13, 2013 5:05 AM

I couldn’t rule it out, but people I know that have had this surgery have all taken several months before being able to resume full activity levels.

7. cashtext4all.com says: Nov 13, 2013 5:13 AM

Wished him luck in his recovery…Maybe he should take a year off and the Broncos should search for a new coach.

8. steelersaregodsteam says: Nov 13, 2013 6:17 AM

Anyone notice how the Steelers never have heart problems?

9. PriorKnowledge says: Nov 13, 2013 7:29 AM

My aortic valve is closing up, also. I don’t need surgery yet, but someday I will. How are you “working hard” to recover?

10. dcpatfan says: Nov 13, 2013 8:27 AM

Well U better hurry up and get well quick foxy..cuz with peyton at the helm 7 weeks and 4 playoff quarters and your seasons over.

11. joetoronto says: Nov 13, 2013 8:36 AM

This is great news for Fox and the rest of the AFC West.

For the Bronco’s, not so much.

12. michaele11111 says: Nov 13, 2013 9:58 AM

He can do it.

After my heart surgery, I was home in three days. Hospital exercise program in four weeks. Full workout routine in 10 weeks. But man, cracking open your rib cage will be felt for a year or more.

13. DiscountMescan says: Nov 13, 2013 10:10 AM

Had this same surgery and was back at work in 7 weeks. I could have gone back after 4 but I had to fight with my Doc to let me back before the standard 8. He’ll be fine.

14. jjackwagon says: Nov 13, 2013 10:17 AM

Anyone notice how the Steelers never have heart problems?

Can anyone remember the last time the Steelers did anything to get excited about?

15. artvan15 says: Nov 13, 2013 10:41 AM

Hope so. Don’t want to see another “This Ones for John ” Super Bowl.

16. caseyanthonymunoz says: Nov 13, 2013 11:03 AM

Nobody cares. Won’t be an issue when Peyton does his usual Choke Job come playoff time anyway.

17. seansds3d says: Nov 13, 2013 11:26 AM

Get better coach. And it’s hard to believe that this board is full of so much hate… I tend not to come here as often anymore because it. But I will return when the Broncos win the Super Bowl just to see you haters cry and wine about it not being fair. boo hoo :’(

18. ruckthefaiders says: Nov 13, 2013 1:34 PM

joetoronto says: Nov 13, 2013 8:36 AM

This is great news for Fox and the rest of the AFC West.

For the Bronco’s, not so much.

Yup, I would love to go up against him if I was an AFC West coach… He sucks.. I mean since he has taken over as head coach he is only 11-3 against the West. Fire him!!!! Terrible..