Sam Hurd smoked pot every day, shared with 20-25 teammates

Sam Hurd AP

The NFL tests players for marijuana, but if the imprisoned former receiver Sam Hurd is to be believed, those tests are very easy to beat.

Hurd told Michael McKnight of TheMMQB.com that during his years as an NFL player he smoked pot “all day, every day, and I didn’t want to hear anyone trying to tell me I had a problem.”

Hurd’s six-year NFL career came to an abrupt end one day in 2011 when he went from Bears practice to a Chicago restaurant to meet with two people he thought were Mexican drug dealers but were actually undercover FBI agents. During that meeting, Hurd agreed to spend tens of thousands of dollars to buy large quantities of cocaine that he said he would have no trouble distributing.

And in his interview with TheMMQB.com, Hurd also said he had no trouble distributing marijuana in the NFL, saying that during the five years he spent with the Cowboys, he became a marijuana connoisseur and passed along the good stuff to about 20 or 25 teammates.

“Whatever was considered the loudest weed in California—I wanted a notch above that,” Hurd said. “I had educated myself on different strains and potencies and growing techniques. I was very selective. It was like wine.”

So how did Hurd and all those teammates avoid being suspended under the NFL’s substance-abuse policy? According to Hurd, players know approximately what time of year they’ll get tested and just stop using when the test is coming up, then use again the rest of the year once they’ve provided their annual urine sample.

Basically, the NFL’s marijuana tests catch only players who aren’t smart enough to figure out the drug-testing system, or players who have such problems that they simply can’t stop for long enough to let drugs clear their systems once a year.

As for Hurd, he’s in a federal detention center awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to conspiracy to traffic narcotics. He could be sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Permalink 95 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Dallas Cowboys, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
95 Responses to “Sam Hurd smoked pot every day, shared with 20-25 teammates”
  1. bucrightoff says: Nov 12, 2013 12:38 PM

Legalize it already. This guy is a textbook example of why. Makes a good living as an NFL player, but can make an even better living as a drug runner. You can’t win the War on Drugs, time to give it up.

2. miamiron says: Nov 12, 2013 12:38 PM

The Miami Dolphins were on drugs last night
    2 yards rushing for the game or 5 inches per rush

3. ilovefoolsball says: Nov 12, 2013 12:39 PM

I don’t understand why the NFL has to ban this stuff when it’s shown it has medical uses and is actually legal in several states.
    I mean if you’re holding distributive quantities that’s one thing but small amounts for personal use should not equal the designation of being a criminal.
    Gotta support that prison industrial complex.

4. f0rem4n says: Nov 12, 2013 12:40 PM

Dudes can drink beer, right? It won’t be long before this will be seen in the same light.

5. hyzers says: Nov 12, 2013 12:40 PM

That’s a good thing to brag about before your sentencing, Mr. Hurd. You sound about as bright as Brandon Marshall after getting swept by the Lions this year.

That being said, why does the NFL test for performance dehancing drugs?

Free the weed.

6. jay0134 says: Nov 12, 2013 12:42 PM

What a waste of a life. Way to rat out all of your friends Sam.

7. jetsclaps says: Nov 12, 2013 12:43 PM

Stupid to suspend players for smoking weed anyway

8. klutch14u says: Nov 12, 2013 12:43 PM

I have no problem with weed other than the fact it’s asinine that it’s still “illegal”, that being said ol’ Sam should probably shut his trap until he’s been sentenced for his other crimes.

9. blackandbluedivision says: Nov 12, 2013 12:43 PM

Everytime I think of this man I think of Dave Chappelle in Half-Baked.

10. pmilz45 says: Nov 12, 2013 12:45 PM

Sam Hurd is an idiot for trying to be Scarface while holding a profession most young guys dream to have. With that being said, it foolish to think that a very high percentage of college and pro athletes don’t smoke marijuana during the season and even more during the offseason. I have seen it first hand. It’s just the reality of it.

11. dynasonic says: Nov 12, 2013 12:45 PM

I had forgotten entirely about Hurd and his arrest. Now that I have been reminded about it I still am confused about how someone making bank would think it to be a good idea to risk life in prison by moving large amounts of coke. What an idiot… but even this idiot was smart enough to circumvent NFL testing procedures. What does that say about clowns like Justin Blackmon, Lavon Brazill, Josh Gordon etc?… (PS, what is it with WR’s and weed? Damn!)

12. tobym333 says: Nov 12, 2013 12:45 PM

Somehow I do not doubt this one bit.

13. allidoiswin55 says: Nov 12, 2013 12:46 PM

Pull a Ricky and just quit football if you want to smoke it’s that simple otherwise give it up for the brief few seasons that it does last. People who get busted are simply morons

14. ivanpavlov0000 says: Nov 12, 2013 12:47 PM

Jailing him for this seems like a waste of taxpayer resources.

15. cocheese000 says: Nov 12, 2013 12:48 PM

I believe him about the drug tests. People with low body fat can get pot out of their system very fast.

16. blackandbluedivision says: Nov 12, 2013 12:49 PM

jetsclaps says:
    Nov 12, 2013 12:43 PM
    Stupid to suspend players for smoking weed anyway
    _______________________

It’s illegal in most states.

17. nyyjetsknicks says: Nov 12, 2013 12:49 PM

Have zero desire to smoke weed but anyone with common sense knows it should be legal. Smoke all the weed you want, just don’t get behind the wheel when you’re done.

18. cherrybop says: Nov 12, 2013 12:49 PM

Why is he snitching on everybody? That’s not going to help him get his sentence reduced.

19. mjk2u says: Nov 12, 2013 12:49 PM

So about that beating the test thing…..call me.

Dwayne Bowe

20. imjinrat says: Nov 12, 2013 12:49 PM

I’m curious as to how many people think this guy should be put away for life? How much is $10,000 worth of cocaine? Not exactly a cargo ship full. Some prison time yea, but keep in mind that the tax payer will be on the hook for his food, board, and medical care for the rest of his life. Also keep in mind how many murderers, rapists, and pedophiles, do a few years and then get let out on parole. Our justice system is a joke.

21. hawkforlife says: Nov 12, 2013 12:49 PM

Well if believed we now know why the Cowboys are continually average. And Jerry must smoke too for his average drafts.

22. godfatherd says: Nov 12, 2013 12:51 PM

I think anyone who understands how drug testing works knows that people in the NFL are smoking marijuana and not getting caught. An athlete who has a low body fat percentage only needs about 7-10 days of not smoking to pass the test. Football players who have never tested positive only get tested twice a year, do the math and it’s pretty obvious they will miss some people.

Personally I don’t really care if NFL players smoke pot. I know investment bankers and microbiologists who smoke daily with no tangible effect to their work output or their earning power. I’d be more worried to learn that my favorite player was an alcoholic had to find out he is a pothead.

23. jbaxt says: Nov 12, 2013 12:53 PM

I think since the liberals are pushing for a name change in Wasington, it should reflect that of the current nflers. Clearly they aren’t warriors, or fierce animals anymore. I say Washington Munchies, Washington Snoop Doggy Doggs, or Washington Duuudes.

24. patriots420 says: Nov 12, 2013 12:55 PM

Good bud is most comparable to fine wine. There are so many strains and different tastes and highs they produce which makes it easy to become a connoisseur.

Don’t know why he is messing with Mexican pushers and cocaine. They can’t get the kind of green he is talking about that’s a notch above California’s finest scientifically superior medical strains. And cocaine is a life ruining personality changing demon that smart potheads never mess with. He deserves whatever charges he receives for pushing the blow.

Just legalize pot

25. azarkhan says: Nov 12, 2013 12:55 PM

hyzers says: That being said, why does the NFL test for performance dehancing drugs?

Maybe because the players are getting paid millions of dollars to perform at a world class level, not a stoner level. Of course, when it’s not your money that’s being spent, it’s easy to take a laissez-faire attitude.

26. larryboodry says: Nov 12, 2013 12:56 PM

J’Marcus Webb wants to know why he wasn’t invited.

27. itscompton says: Nov 12, 2013 12:56 PM

He should have lived by Pato Banton’s creed: “I do not sniff (or sell) the coke, I only smoke the sinsemilla.”

28. bryans49ers says: Nov 12, 2013 12:59 PM

This RAT has just shown his true colors to all his soon to be convict family. PC this RAT!

29. harrisonhits2 says: Nov 12, 2013 1:00 PM

ivanpavlov0000 says:

Jailing him for this seems like a waste of taxpayer resources.
    _______________

If it was just weed I would heartily agree with you. Cocaine is an entirely different beast and I’ve seen many people destroyed by it.

30. johnnycamparm says: Nov 12, 2013 1:01 PM

Heisenhurd

31. securb2013 says: Nov 12, 2013 1:03 PM

Hurd proves once again he isn’t the brightest bulb. Snitches don’t do well in prison

32. azarkhan says: Nov 12, 2013 1:03 PM

imjinrat says: I’m curious as to how many people think this guy should be put away for life?

A life sentence would be completely insane. He’s facing 10 years to life, and even 10 years is too much. Plus it was entrapment, which my instincts say should be illegal.

33. joetoronto says: Nov 12, 2013 1:04 PM

Super sized complete friggin idiot says what?

SMH.

34. crownofthehelmet says: Nov 12, 2013 1:06 PM

Now it makes sense. No wonder he had to start dealing, he was sharing with 20-25 people, dude was going broke.

35. illinininer says: Nov 12, 2013 1:07 PM

Life in prison for being a middle man in drug trafficking. 3-6 years in prison (protective custody no less) for being a child malestor.

‘Merica.

36. humbleminded85 says: Nov 12, 2013 1:07 PM

I heard he also used to smoke with Johnny Hopkins and Sloan Kettering. #BoatsNhoes #PrestigeWorldwide

37. tinbender2000 says: Nov 12, 2013 1:08 PM

cocheese000 says: Nov 12, 2013 12:48 PM

When I was young it would get out of my system very fast, now if I still smoked it would take forever :)

38. duncanthecat says: Nov 12, 2013 1:09 PM

One has to believe that Dallas’ Defense was still smoking some of Hurd’s good stuff the other night.

39. 2difshoe says: Nov 12, 2013 1:11 PM

Hurd must have shared with Lovie Smith too, some of Lovie’s calls were like….DUDE, where’s my car !?!?

40. phinatic29 says: Nov 12, 2013 1:12 PM

hey sam open the door its dave

who? dave?

yeah its me dave.

Dave’s not here man!!

41. grndizzle says: Nov 12, 2013 1:13 PM

Life without parole seems a bit harsh.

42. fwippel says: Nov 12, 2013 1:16 PM

Sheesh. And Onterrio Smith went to all that trouble with that Whizzinator product?

43. buckethead1 says: Nov 12, 2013 1:18 PM

Pass the Doritos…

44. granadafan says: Nov 12, 2013 1:22 PM

Regardless of your position on the legality of weed, the fact remains that it is still illegal and against league rules. That said, the NFL’s drug testing policy is a joke. If you’re only testing once a year, then players know how to prepare. Test throughout the year and randomly just like the Olympics does. Either do it right or not at all.

45. sportsguy3434 says: Nov 12, 2013 1:28 PM

He is in prison because he was trying to buy cocaine from undercover FBI agents that he thought were drug lords…all between practices or something, not because he was smoking weed. Still not a fan of legalization since I don’t want those people passing me on the roads or applying to work with my company-especially with the equipment. It doesn’t look like Hurd is making any smarter choices by using it.

46. doctorrustbelt says: Nov 12, 2013 1:30 PM

Minimum 10 years

47. MyTeamsAllStink says: Nov 12, 2013 1:33 PM

The government is missing out on a fortune they could make on taxing weed.Yet they still,stand behind this “Just say no” policy.All the while senators are drinking booze by the caseload

48. rationalthinker82 says: Nov 12, 2013 1:34 PM

bucrightoff says:
    Nov 12, 2013 12:38 PM

……………………….
    Yes they should legalize mairjuania. But Sam Hurd was also selling cocaine, which as a dealer was going to make him 10 times more money. Dont feel so sorry for him. Pot was just a hobby.

49. patsfan1820 says: Nov 12, 2013 1:36 PM

Honestly just legalize it people everywhere use it anyway might as well make some money off of it instead of giving money to drug lords and shady characters. Hurd is an idiot but the government is just as stupid for keeping up this War on Pot.

50. hyzers says: Nov 12, 2013 1:37 PM

——————————————–

If they aren’t performing at a world class level, they won’t get paid like they are. If pot is affecting someone, it will be reflected in their salary.

Next.

51. returnofdamac says: Nov 12, 2013 1:39 PM

did any of you idiots calling hurd a snitch or advocating a life sentence actually read the mmqb story? he is the only guy who didn’t snitch – and all he wants is to be prosecuted for the crimes he committed, which doesn’t justify life or anywhere close to that

52. dryzzt23 says: Nov 12, 2013 1:41 PM

Pot = overrated…and its illegal…and it’s the LAW!

Only losers smoke pot or take illegal drugs.

53. silvernblak says: Nov 12, 2013 1:47 PM

It’s legal in Colorado,look what it’s doing for the Broncos. They are as focused as a guy on the ground fixing a squeaky wheel on a cart at the Wal-Mart!

54. dietrich43 says: Nov 12, 2013 1:47 PM

What we need to know, is if it bullied teammates to smoke with him or used it as a hazing ritual.

55. silvernblak says: Nov 12, 2013 1:51 PM

For the NFL to think that players don’t have ways around their drug testing policies is as naieve as Goodhell thinking he is making a positive influence in the NFL. Meanwhile making himself a rich man!

56. patsfan1820 says: Nov 12, 2013 1:52 PM

dryzzt23 Michael Phelps would like to talk to you.

57. midtec2005 says: Nov 12, 2013 1:53 PM

Now we know why the Cowboys seem to play with no emotion.

58. apkyletexas says: Nov 12, 2013 2:01 PM

…of course he saved the best stuff to share with Jerry…

59. shatho1 says: Nov 12, 2013 2:01 PM

for all u ppl saying he snitched out his friends I would like u to tell me who they were that he snitched on…. anyone have an answer anyone. didn’t think so that’s because he didn’t . he said he shared with 20-25 teammates no names were mentioned.

60. nyjetsfan08 says: Nov 12, 2013 2:14 PM

This guy is a real moron. But he’s right about the drug testing. I’ve been this saying this forever. Drug testing is nothing more than an IQ test. Then there are masking kits that can work, depending on the type of drug test and quality of the kit. If you get caught, you’re stupid. That’s all there is to it.

61. lunarpie says: Nov 12, 2013 2:17 PM

godfatherd says:
    Nov 12, 2013 12:51 PM

—————————-

AMEN!!!!!

Alchohol kills and destroys many more lives than pot EVER will!!!!

LEGALIZE and REGULATE it and save the tax payers BILLIONS!!!

Wake up Washington its 2013 not 1950!!!

62. fissels says: Nov 12, 2013 2:28 PM

All the potheads I’ve known were really slow-witted during the time they were on the stuff. I don’t care if it’s legal or not, just don’t let it affect your play on the field. My question is, how many players are high when they are playing?

63. Youknowimright says: Nov 12, 2013 2:36 PM

et tu davie boy smith

64. belgaron says: Nov 12, 2013 2:36 PM

Idiots posting about idiot players.

If it was legalized most of these guys wouldn’t have made it to the NFL.

65. str8infamous says: Nov 12, 2013 2:39 PM

To those asking why he did it, remember people the NFL stands for “Not For Long” where contracts can be voided whenever. Its not like Sam was getting Megatron or even top 20 WR money in Dallas or Chicago. It was also reported Sam was making his exact NFL salary (as a Bear) in weed & coke sales. He got greedy trying 2 expand & got caught. Now I don’t condone what he did, but I understand the motivation 2 pull in that much cash without Uncle Sam getting you & putting your body/long term health on the line weekly.

66. janvanflac says: Nov 12, 2013 2:42 PM

I have known computer programmers, a cousin of mine who has a MD and a Phd, who are pot aficionados. No reason NFL players shouldn’t be able to indulge to take the edge off of the bumps and bruises.

67. blu4l1fe says: Nov 12, 2013 2:46 PM

It was quite obvious that “smoking” weed wasn’t the issue, rather him graduating to being a coke dealer wannabe that got him in trouble with the law and put him in jail.

68. steeltuff says: Nov 12, 2013 2:47 PM

Hurd’s explanation of players stopping to use just before testing is absurd. It takes several months for THC (the chemical compound in cannabis) to leave the system. If it was coke, yes, 48 hours is enough time for testing not to detect it. Marijuana can even be detected six months after ingested.

69. cowpiesnotcowboys says: Nov 12, 2013 2:51 PM

Once a Cowboy, always a Cowboy.

70. josephgattuso says: Nov 12, 2013 2:52 PM

Life in prison for selling cocaine?

What the hell?

The guy who killed Peterson’s son went to jail for a year for the FIRST baby he killed.

71. comedianmissy1 says: Nov 12, 2013 2:55 PM

As the old saying goes- the devil you know is better than the devil you don’t. Well at least if they stop using before test-time, they’re obviously not addicted?! No wonder they’re so huge- they’ve been having some major munchies issues.

72. lingsun54 says: Nov 12, 2013 3:00 PM

Drugs are for losers. The worst people I know are potheads. How else do you abuse your wife, neglect your kids, and still still have peace? My wife’s first husband was a pothead. One of the worst people I’ve ever known. More than that, he once had an IQ high enough to join MENSA and he had a photographic memory. He should be a CPA making $120K but he has the maturity of a 14 year old. Never made more than $20,000 in any year of his whole wasted life.

73. lingsun54 says: Nov 12, 2013 3:03 PM

Smoking marijuana stunts your emotional maturity at whatever age you started smoking it. Which is why my wife’s first husband literally has the maturity of a 14 year old.

74. pfatl says: Nov 12, 2013 3:04 PM

steelstuff –

Nope. Not necessarily. It’s really different for everyone but I know of people testing negative in as few as 13 days. Simply because there have been instances of detection 6 months later does not mean that all tests will detect marijuana 6 months later for every person.

Thanks for playing.

75. @Cereal_22 says: Nov 12, 2013 3:07 PM

Wow,,,life in prison for that ? Ridiculous #PoliceState

76. footballchic777 says: Nov 12, 2013 3:10 PM

bucrightoff says: Legalize it already…….Hurd makes more money and it will get legalized anyway.

Does anyone really have any more questions why our society is in a downward spiral? All you have to do is look at THAT comment.

77. sb44champs says: Nov 12, 2013 3:12 PM

Capt. Kine Bud and Kid K.B.

78. hawkstradamus says: Nov 12, 2013 3:13 PM

Life in prison for selling drugs is the real crime. Supplying demand for goods in services is amercian as apple pie.

79. yankeemofo says: Nov 12, 2013 3:13 PM

nyyjetsknicks says:
    Nov 12, 2013 12:49 PM
    ________________________________

Why not? I’ve smoked for 27 years and I drive every single day…high as a kite. Delivered UPS packages for 5 years…high as a kite, no accidents.

In fact, I perform most activities…high as a kite. Helps me stay focused, keeps the stress low and I deal with stupid people in a much nicer and reasonable manner.

Next argument.

80. shlort says: Nov 12, 2013 3:13 PM

Hmmmm.. what a decision these players are left with. Make millions of dollars playing a game. Or, smoke weed every day and to hell with the testing.

I’m not saying I care if people smoke weed. I don’t think weed should be illegal. The thing is this. It is not legal in most places and is on the NFL list of banned substances.

If weed were made legal, employers could still demand workers not use it or they lose their jobs. You can’t show up to work drunk, why is it alright to show up stoned?

81. realfootballfan says: Nov 12, 2013 3:19 PM

This isn’t a secret. Both Robert Smith and Randy Moss have both said as much in the past. The players who do get caught on a “random” drug test are truly unable to control themselves. The NFL needs to follow the NBA’s lead on this and just get it out of their testing criteria because this kind of low level recreational drug use is all too common in their social circles of rappers, other athletes like NBA players, actors, etc.

If anything, they should be more inclined to allow this their players if they did care about them since people who use marijuana say it does help with aches and pains, which they certainly would be experiencing more than their other entertainment peer groups.

82. barrywhererufrom says: Nov 12, 2013 3:22 PM

funny one drink and i am.fine one hit..and that.is.a different story…i have a feeling that some people on this post are.addicted to the chronic..how is that working out for you?

83. myeaglescantwin says: Nov 12, 2013 3:24 PM

drug dealers,, life in prison.

murderers, out in 10 with good behavior..

84. tmatic74 says: Nov 12, 2013 3:39 PM

All these athletes are not smoking weed by chance. It’s a all natural PED. Helps with pain from the game. Works great for pain without side effects. LOUD PACKS LOL

85. realitycheckbaby says: Nov 12, 2013 4:21 PM

dryzzt23 says: Nov 12, 2013 1:41 PM

Pot = overrated…and its illegal…and it’s the LAW!

Only losers smoke pot or take illegal drugs.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yes, cool people get hammered because booze is legal.

And after all, if it’s legal, it has to be OK; right?

86. xli2006 says: Nov 12, 2013 4:31 PM

It’s just Pot.

You can’t enjoy a relatively harmless plant in this “free” nation of ours?

No different than a hybrid of Alcohol & Tobacco. The intoxication effect akin to Alcohol in the form of Tobacco, why not craft the laws governing it just as it is which is somewhere between the two.

Legalization (or at least Decriminalization) is on the way folks… deal with it.

87. jgedgar70 says: Nov 12, 2013 4:34 PM

I don’t buy this. He’s exaggerating. He’s trying to come across as gangsta so he doesn’t become anyone’s girlfriend when he gets that life sentence.

88. realitycheckbaby says: Nov 12, 2013 4:50 PM

shlort says: Nov 12, 2013 3:13 PM

==============================

You’d have to ask Aldon.

89. vwbrown19 says: Nov 12, 2013 4:50 PM

He could get Life in prison with no parole while child abusers, molesters and rapists don’t receive nearly half that sentence.

90. philahitman says: Nov 12, 2013 4:57 PM

Less dangerous than alcohol. Legalize and tax it and stop kidding ourselves. If he didnt bother with cocaine… which actually kills people, hed probably still be a free man.

91. bcgreg says: Nov 12, 2013 5:20 PM

You’re in jail for drugs. Yeah, you don’t have a problem. You’re right where you belong, Mr Tur…Hurd. BTW, how’s Nate Newton?

92. mackcarrington says: Nov 12, 2013 6:34 PM

Ain’t nuthin’ but a gangster party!

93. fdugrad says: Nov 12, 2013 8:42 PM

Lets see…players throughout The NFL know about when they are going to be tested, so they have, according to Hurd, a “fool proof” way of beating the chance of detection. Man, now THAT is a TRULY sophisticated and higher-level, critical-thinking scheme! Now, if only the brain trust of The NFL owners, along with The Commish put their heads together and over a period of years in conjunction with M.I.T. and Stanford scientists and sociologists come up with SOME way to foil such a tricky scheme… NAH, forget it. There is NO hope to beat the players when they resort to something THIS complicated.

94. iamedreed says: Nov 13, 2013 1:55 PM

anyone else have a problem with people being given LIFE SENTENCES for non violent drug offenses?

Life for some white powder is ridiculous

95. ngarren13 says: Nov 13, 2013 2:22 PM

legislate and regulate? lol. who grows it? who gets paid? Illegal drugs are just that and no state in the US is going to legalize Pablo Escobar’s favorite cigarrette. The NFL should make it one failed test and you are banned for life. Look at the real face of drugs and the violence attached. Talk to someone whose family was killed in an auto accident because the other driver was hopped up on the chronic behind the wheel. Pot is a gateway drug, start smoking it and then when you have a tolerance for it, on come the stronger drugs cause pot doesnt get it for ya. So please stop trying to glamorize drug use.