Dwayne Bowe apologizes, lawyer says he’s “100% innocent”

Na'il Diggs, Dwayne Bowe AP

Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe has issued a brief apology after he was arrested on a marijuana possession charge.

“I apologize to the Hunt Family, Coach Reid, my teammates and Chiefs fans for the distraction I have caused the team this week,” Bowe said in a statement. “Due to the nature of the pending matter, I am unable to make any further comment on the situation.”

Bowe’s attorney says Bowe is innocent.

“My investigation reveals that Dwayne Bowe is unequivocally, 100% innocent in this matter,” attorney Kevin E. J. Regan told KMBC. “We look forward to clearing his good name at our earliest opportunity.”

It’s not clear why Bowe thinks he has anything to apologize for if he’s innocent, but the Chiefs are satisfied enough with Bowe that he will start on Sunday night against the Broncos.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill
33 Responses to “Dwayne Bowe apologizes, lawyer says he’s “100% innocent””
  1. norseyapper says: Nov 13, 2013 2:01 PM

“We look forward to clearing his good name at our earliest opportunity.”
    ummmmmmmm….ok….good name?

Seriously, I think that must be his mom pretending to be his lawyer.

2. tjjohnson98 says: Nov 13, 2013 2:01 PM

I’m sure part of that $56m deal is going to go to one of his friends for telling the cops the weed was his.

3. johnnyjagfan says: Nov 13, 2013 2:02 PM

Speaking from the position of a lawyer, I’d be terrified if I made an unequivocal denial like this guy has if I wasn’t 100% that I could deliver. Something tells me he’s going to have proof of something that exonerates him for the prosecutors to view shortly. If he does and the evidence proves his innocence, the DA has to throw this one back. His lawyer better be spot on.

4. donmega72 says: Nov 13, 2013 2:03 PM

Why apologize if you’re innocent?

5. sportnorcal says: Nov 13, 2013 2:06 PM

I tried fighting a speeding ticket once, too. Lost.
    I’m pretty sure if I had a lawyer claiming my innocence I would have been found guilty.

Also, my mom never bought the whole “that’s a friends’ weed” attempt either.

6. kcflake says: Nov 13, 2013 2:06 PM

D Bowe is Innocent. I believe him.

7. kcflake says: Nov 13, 2013 2:07 PM

Word is D Bowe asked the cops if Sonic was still open, while he was stopped. lol

8. citizenstrange says: Nov 13, 2013 2:12 PM

“It’s not clear why Bowe thinks he has anything to apologize for if he’s innocent, …..”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So when he’s found guilty he can take the high road (no pun intended) and move on.

9. thingamajig says: Nov 13, 2013 2:20 PM

Has anybody ever heard an NFL players lawyer say he client is 100% guilty?

10. kingokra says: Nov 13, 2013 2:25 PM

Lawyers…enough said.

11. primemundo says: Nov 13, 2013 2:25 PM

free D Bowe!

12. jjbadd385 says: Nov 13, 2013 2:28 PM

weed’s not even illegal in Colorado is it? I know he wasn’t in Colorado when it happened, just sayin my fellow Bronco fans should cut him some slack…I ain’t mad at him, alcohol is worse than weed…

13. allidoiswin55 says: Nov 13, 2013 2:32 PM

I have yet to comprehend how someone can break the law and play immediately . Especial drugs !!! I understand due process but why is he not suspended… U can’t be suspended from football for alcohol but u can for drugs and how someone can not get any reprocussions for having illegal drugs and having an employer who strictly says they are forbidden does not compute to me . Point is alcohol and DUI takes time to figure exactly everything out ,drugs are drugs dude and the lawyer can easily manipulate the scenario but it’s obvious unlike disputing a BAC.

Just doesn’t make sense .

14. stealthjunk says: Nov 13, 2013 2:32 PM

Someone please put a muzzle on this lawyer. His language seems to come straight from the “How to be an Annoying, Stereotypical Lawyer 101″ textbook.

15. jshawaii22 says: Nov 13, 2013 2:33 PM

bet he’ll claim the Clinton defense… “I did’t inhale”.. and therefore I’m innocent.

js

16. slugbaitspace says: Nov 13, 2013 2:33 PM

————–
    KC’s measuring-stick game is this weekend. Lots of press inked lately about how they went from having the worst record to being undefeated. He’s a good player on a high-profile team.

Getting arrested for anything creates a distraction for the team, due to all the press it gets.

Reading his statement word-for-word, it appears he’s apologizing specifically for the distraction the arrest has caused.

I would apologize to my boss and fans for that, too.

17. dowhatifeellike says: Nov 13, 2013 2:36 PM

Oh, good, I was worried that he was only 70% innocent.

18. whenwilliteverend says: Nov 13, 2013 2:37 PM

Q: How can you tell a lawyer is lying?
    A: His lips are moving.

19. 2qswing says: Nov 13, 2013 2:39 PM

It wasn’t the weed in the car that did him in. It was the half empty package of Oreos and Doritos.
    Now that’s evidence

20. smillr58 says: Nov 13, 2013 2:42 PM

I think lawyers should be held accountable for their clients… If their client is found guilty the lawyer gets the same sentence! That might shut them up!!

21. purplengold says: Nov 13, 2013 2:46 PM

everyone is 100% innocent until convicted.

22. almighty1 says: Nov 13, 2013 2:52 PM

Speeding with weed in the car. So I guess by 100% innocent he means…”Dwayne got his shoelace tied around the accelerator and was forced to speed. Not only that but the police planted weed on him.” There ya go…INNOCENT.

23. phinfan says: Nov 13, 2013 2:54 PM

100% was his blood limit

24. shayeezy says: Nov 13, 2013 3:07 PM

“It’s not clear why Bowe thinks he has anything to apologize for if he’s innocent”

the distraction, as he clearly says himself. there’s no denying that he’s guilty of at least that much.

25. dt58 says: Nov 13, 2013 3:13 PM

allidoiswin55 says:
    Nov 13, 2013 2:32 PM

Just doesn’t make sense .

================================

So, would you consider PEDs an illegal drug? How long was Shermans suspension? Didn’t Browner play a couple games before serving his suspension? What’s so hard about figuring out a DUI? Blow in a machine, hear a little tune, and buy a bus pass for a while. When was Lynchs DUI anyway? And how many games has he sat? Oh ya, I forgot, Seattle is your team and they can do no wrong.

So, Lynch is innocent til proven guilty but Bowe is guilty right now, no questions asked. Sounds fair

26. indytom87 says: Nov 13, 2013 3:20 PM

Yes I am sure the cops had mistaken the herbs from the Whole Foods store as ganja.. :roll eyes:

27. theprofesser says: Nov 13, 2013 3:42 PM

Reading the title of this article makes me think of a bad episode of Maury “Dwayne we have the results of the urinalysis, you ARE going to get off.”

Any time a lawyer uses the word unequivocal in his press conference it’s usually a code word for “we’re willing to pay whatever amount to make this go away.”

28. rcali says: Nov 13, 2013 3:57 PM

Next Question!

29. leet793 says: Nov 13, 2013 4:21 PM

Probably will use the boxes of pizza defense.

30. hjb99992013 says: Nov 13, 2013 4:26 PM

that is lawyer speak meaning, he will get a with it

31. don2074978 says: Nov 13, 2013 4:52 PM

At the very least he’s guilty of hanging out with dopers. Which is why he should apologize.

When I quit smoking pot in the early 90′s due to employer mandated testing I had to dump all my dope smoking friends. I never would have quit otherwise. But it was either pot or not having a roof over my head

32. gooboy6 says: Nov 13, 2013 10:40 PM

This attorney reminds me of the dirty attorney in ” breaking bad”

33. kings4323 says: Nov 13, 2013 11:34 PM

give him a UA. then drop him the way he drops passes!!!