Christian Ponder optimistic he can play through shoulder pain

Getty Images

After taking the majority of the snaps in yesterday’s practice, Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder said he was optimistic about his chances of hanging onto his job this week.

He was held out Wednesday to rest his dislocated left shoulder, but was able to do more work Thursday, which had him hopeful.

Honestly it’s a lot better than I expected to be all week,” Ponder said, via Chip Scoggins of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “I was a little pessimistic about what was going to happen over the weekend. I was very uncomfortable. I woke up Monday and Tuesday and I kept feeling better and better. Our training staff has done such a great job of getting me to feel better. So I threw it around a lot more than I expected to [Wednesday]. And each day it’s going to keep getting better.”

He might needed it against the Seahawks, who have 31 sacks so far this year, fifth in the league.

Of course, given the way Ponder’s played over the course of the year, they may want to make sure he stays in the game.

33 responses to “Christian Ponder optimistic he can play through shoulder pain

1. Ponder said he’d wear a harness to help keep it in place, but didn’t plan to wear extra padding.

******************************************

He probably borrowed a bra from Samantha.

2. Ponder’s the only QB the Vikings have who can run away from the pass rush, which has been constant with the Vikings porous pass blocking this year. Cassel and Freeman would be sitting ducks back there.

3. The more this season goes on, the more I think he is the least of the Vikings problems. Guy gives it his all.

4. the best way for Ponder to tolerate his shoulder pain would be to hand off the ball 35+ times to his backs….

5. Great, now Frazier has an excuse for Ponder when he stinks it up. I’ve never seen a more mediocre milk out his inevitable career ender any longer than Christian Ponder. He’s not cut out to be a NFL quarterback, bottom line.

6. He can play through pain? He couldn’t play without the pain, so just suit him up and Seattle will take care of the rest. Oh Christian, stock up on the painkillers now.

7. Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Nov 15, 2013 8:43 AM
    All this guy does is work hard and play through pain and all Vike fans do is rip him.
    ===================

have you ever watched him play????????

8. As a Vikings fan, it sucks sitting back and watching Ponder play. But damnit, you have got to give the kid some credit for his heart. That shot he took diving for the endzone was about as hard as you can get hit and he had to expect it and still tried. His talent level is there, but he definitely has my respect for his toughness.

9. “I don’t know how it’s going to feel,” Ponder said. “Obviously, I’m going to get hit at some point. Hopefully not. But we’ll see how it ends up feeling. But I’m sure it will it be a little painful and hopefully the Seahawks don’t have a target on it.”

==============================

I don’t think Seattle will target that, but I do think they’ll have 12 men in the box.

10. “But I’m sure it will it be a little painful and hopefully the Seahawks don’t have a target on it.”

You bet Christian…I’m sure the Hawks will play you with kid gloves, just like they did with Sideshow Bob Griffin in that playoff game last year.

Good Luck with that.

Go Hawks!

11. The Great Ted Thompson the Genius says:
    Nov 15, 2013 10:50 AM
    The Packers would kill to have Ponder on their team right now
    /////////////////////////////////////////////

Tolzien is already better than Ponder. Watch Sunday night.

12. Pain shmain, he’ll have more pain injections in that shoulder than the number of donuts in Mike McCarthy’s desk drawer.

13. The Great Ted Thompson the Genius says:
    Nov 15, 2013 10:50 AM
    The Packers would kill to have Ponder on their team right now
    /////////////////////////////////////////////

Why? He’d be the fourth best QB on the team behind Rodgers, Tolzien and Flynn.

Practice squad maybe?

14. expodis says:
    Nov 15, 2013 10:14 AM
    As a Vikings fan, it sucks sitting back and watching Ponder play.

*******************************************

I think most people are used to it.

The Vikings are bad at football.

15. f1restarter says:
    Nov 15, 2013 12:14 PM
    Now, when Ponder throws a Hail Mary at the end of the game, it’ll go only 20 yards instead of the usual 40.

********************************************

Yeah, Ponder really puts the “Mary” back in “Hail Mary”.

16. filthymcnasty1 says:
    Nov 15, 2013 12:44 PM
    f1restarter says:
    Nov 15, 2013 12:14 PM

********************************************

Yeah, Ponder really puts the “Mary” back in “Hail Mary”.

LOL, this guy is still chirping about QBs? Wow Tokyo, pot calling kettle black. No wonder all the other fanbases hate the packers.

17. filthymcnasty1 says:
    Nov 15, 2013 8:50 AM

******************************************

He probably borrowed a bra from Samantha.
    _________________________________

I have to say…this is actually funny!

18. This just in: Ponder doesn’t have a cannon arm!

I’m speaking directly to Viking fans, Ponder is the best we have.

More importantly watch Ponder in a game on tape.
    When people watch a live game your emotions color what you think you see.

I recently watched the Dallas game (NFL shortcuts) and you’ll be hard pressed to find more than three errors on Ponder’s part.

Ponder has the potential to be good in a Rich Gannon way, no cannon arm but a savy player,
    Ponder also lacks the benefit of an innovative OC.

Ponder is OK for a third year QB.
    This team has bigger problems than Ponder