Darrell Green wonders about state of Redskins, RG3

Darrell Green AP

One of the best Redskins of all time seems to have his doubts about the direction of his old franchise, and the quarterback in particular.

Hall of Fame cornerback Darrell Green said during Showtime’s Inside the NFL that he wasn’t sure he was seeing the leadership necessary from Robert Griffin III, or the offense for him to succeed in.

Asked by the host the state of affairs for the Redskins, Green replied: “It’s not very good. It’s not very good, . . . I think that it’s been rough, but it looks like the kid — and I’m talking about RGIII — it looks like he’s starting to get it back. But I just feel so bad that you would have a system where it’s all predicated on this guy running. He’s the second rusher on the team. It doesn’t work, in my opinion.”

Green was also asked about the leadership issue on the 3-6 team.

“I think that’s the problem,” Green answered. “I think it’s SUPER important to have leadership, and I don’t think he really IS the leader. . . .

“I don’t know if they have a leader. . . . Well, London Fletcher is, but I’ve been that old player before. And you’re a moral leader, people love you and respect you, but you’re really not the leader. You’re not. And really, you shouldn’t be. Because in my opinion, the leadership should come from the offensive side of the ball, because the game is such an offensive-based game.”

Green’s comments are just the latest in a string of finger-pointing around D.C., and increasingly those digits are directed at Griffin.

As desperate for a savior as the Redskins were when they drafted him, there now seems to be growing concern whether he’ll ever deliver on the promise.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
44 Responses to “Darrell Green wonders about state of Redskins, RG3”
  1. primenumber19 says: Nov 15, 2013 9:50 AM

It was an overreaction to how great he was last year, and it’s an overreaction to how bad he has been this year.

2. nflofficeadmin says: Nov 15, 2013 9:58 AM

It starts with ownership. Talk to the Steelers, Giants, Ravens, or Patriots about that.

3. patfanken says: Nov 15, 2013 10:01 AM

Mike, quick question.

You have been pretty up front with your opinion that the Redskins should change their nickname…..and I agree with you. (will wonders ever cease)

It would seem to make sense that on your site you would no longer use that offensive term in describing the team that resides in the Washington DC metro area.

The question is, are you, because of your NBC affiliation required by some kind of contractual agreement between the NFL and NBC, required continue to refer to the Washington team as the “Redskins”.

If not then you would be doing the league, the fans, and ultimately the franchise itself a favor by implementing that policy here and on your TV endeavors.

If all the media outlets had the courage of their convictions and refused to repeat the offense when they describe the Washington franchise, the Redskins name would be gone in a few months

The only reason I can think of that would keep them from doing that is some kind of contractual reason in their multi Billion dollar deal with the NFL.

Let us know

4. stoutfiles says: Nov 15, 2013 10:04 AM

Darrell Green is a legend on and off the field. When he talks everyone should listen.

5. patricesw says: Nov 15, 2013 10:05 AM

I love D Green but why back in August everyone said & knew it would probably b a slow start..now he’s not a leader now London Fletcher can’t b a leader because he’s old..I’m not buying it..RG has to run the cap penalties kept them from upgrading this offensive line its only his second yr no offseason..really

6. lizardlickk says: Nov 15, 2013 10:09 AM

Pump the breaks. Step back from the ledge. He’s a 2nd yr pro coming off a bad injury. Things will be alright.

7. tinbender2000 says: Nov 15, 2013 10:12 AM

But…But… He’s the greatest NFL player Ever… Just ask ‘ol what’s his name.

8. normaneinstein7 says: Nov 15, 2013 10:20 AM

Most of the current problems lie with the defense and special teams. The defense is horrible. The D collapses in the 2nd half of games. Haslett should be fired. The special teams are probably the worst I’ve ever seen. The ST coach should’ve been fired at the bye week. STs cost us the Dallas game. Seriously, the Redskins STs are atrocious.

I guess it all starts with Shanahan, who hired these guys. It’s not Snyder’s fault. He’s been a fine owner the last few years. He hasn’t meddled or anything. He gave the keys to the franchise to Shanahan and Bruce Allen. If Snyder fires Shanahan, it won’t upset a lot of Redskin fans. I’ve never been a fan of a head coach trying to play GM, like Holmgren, etc… It never seems to works out.

9. fordmandalay says: Nov 15, 2013 10:21 AM

I think the problem with the Rs starts with Shanahan, he’s about 15 years past his effective coaching date. He was great once, but it’s clear he’s lost it. It’s time to take the car keys away from grandpa.

10. macjacmccoy says: Nov 15, 2013 10:23 AM

The Vick is strong in that one.

Unless you think Vick could have ever led a team to a championship, you probably shouldnt expect Griffin to do it either.

11. huntre2k says: Nov 15, 2013 10:26 AM

lol, can’t believe anyone is pointing any fingers at RG III. He’s a great QB, he’s going to make mistakes just like the rest of them. Redskins have serious talent needs that they haven’t been able to fill due to cap penalties, so they play the best they can with what they got. We should see significant upgrades to the offensive line, secondary and receivers (speed/separation) next year. This year? I think we all still enjoy watching them play, and like every fan out there, we get frustrated when they don’t play up to our expectations, but hey, it’s a game! As a fan, I still have hopes they can run the table. Would I make a large bet they will? um, no :) but, I still hope. From this fan, there is no finger pointing. London Fletcher and RG III both have the respect of the players. I love D. Green but don’t agree with his perspective.

12. toochilled says: Nov 15, 2013 10:27 AM

Kyle Shanahan is not a good OC, problem is, his dad is the coach and he will never be fired. Unless MS takes over the play calling, this will be the final year of his tenure.

In addition to that, the NFL screwed the Skins with the $36M cap hit over the last 2 seasons. This has prevented the team from addressing OL, DB, & LB needs. With that said, this is basically the same team from last year so no excuses except everyone is a year older. London as much as it pains me to say this, is done.

The culture has changed, which is good. The next hire is going to be huge. There will be cap space available and the pressure is on, can’t miss with the draft & FA.

HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!!!!!!!

13. ravanator says: Nov 15, 2013 10:33 AM

Joe Flacco > Darrell Green
    Joe Flacco > Robert Griffin

R-Word fans are jealous of the Ravens, the best franchise in the world!

#ravensownmaryland
    #landoverrwords

14. zam0854 says: Nov 15, 2013 10:38 AM

LOL indians!! LOL RG3!!

False fact of the day: Redskins win Sunday!!

15. metalhead65 says: Nov 15, 2013 10:39 AM

so because he got hurt is it is the system’s fault? the same system that everyone was praising last for making him a star? sure keep telling yourself that’s it and not that he is overrated.

16. jimthebuilder27 says: Nov 15, 2013 10:48 AM

Sorry Redskins fans, but you have one of your own (Hall of Famer) calling out your savior at QB.

RG3 kinda asked for it though, with his attitude (fighting with Shanarat, Operation Patience, I would say I’m 100% but I wouldn’t put a number on it, taking wedding gifts from fans despite a good sized contract). Meanwhile, Andrew Luck talks thoughtfully to the press and shows humility. Leadership Advantage: Andrew Luck.

17. salmen76 says: Nov 15, 2013 10:49 AM

I agree with Darrell. RG3 is a great QB. But he is not being put in a good situation to win with the offense Mike S is running. RG3 is getting HIT way too much! I love tough football but watching RG3 take those hits spoils the fun for me. I actually feel bad for him. If i was RG3′s Dad i woulda took Mike S to the woodshed over the way he handled RG3′s injury last season. If i was RG3 i’d play out my contract and move on. Redskins are a circus these days. RG3 deserves better. Geaux Saints!

18. purpleguy says: Nov 15, 2013 11:01 AM

Lousy owner, over-rated head coach, pretty good QB.

19. cuda1234 says: Nov 15, 2013 11:02 AM

Bobby Griffin isn’t a star and hasn’t done anything to become one. His star status is a just a product of an overzealous and friendly media that keeps telling everyone he’s a star when he hasn’t earned it.

Unless he really can play like one, there will be a public backlash against the urban legend created by the media (see Tebow, Tim).

Media should stick to reporting news, not trying to make it.

20. tennesseeoilers says: Nov 15, 2013 11:02 AM

I kept an eye on Darrell Green his entire career–he had me with that TD the first time he touched the ball and then ran Dorsett down from 15 yards back. Simply put, Green set the bar for character and leadership on the defense for his team and he’s the Redskin Robert Griffin III should aspire to live up to: exceptional integrity, humility, student of the game.

-Titans Fan

21. redskinsroost says: Nov 15, 2013 11:05 AM

I agree. My finger that last year pointed straight up in the air, now points straight at #10.

22. burgundyandgold says: Nov 15, 2013 11:05 AM

Robert is getting hit too much because of the offensive line and he is not seeing his receivers quickly enough – not because he runs. The big hits are coming in the pocket. He has to learn to be a pocket QB, he has never done that before. I agree, he should lay off Twitter and stuff for a while but to say he is a bust is just absurd. He needs a better line around him and he needs to learn to look off receivers and hit them quicker. He should be able to do those things. If not, a couple years from now go ahead and call him a bust but for now he is just a young kid learning the game at the pro level.

23. l0glcalv0icesays says: Nov 15, 2013 11:06 AM

I respect Darrell Green because he’s the greatest corner ever in my mind, but maybe he took a few too many head shots if he’s worried about RG3. RG3 is the best darn quarterback in the NFL. Anyone can see that. I’d blame Goodell and his clear agenda against the Redskins before blaming RG3 at all.

24. ilovecostcobut says: Nov 15, 2013 11:09 AM

Mike Shanahan was probably the ONLY person who didn’t know RGIII was hurt. Ok. Now, a year later, 3-6, how’s that working, Shanny? Ego is a terrible thing.

25. ubepunkedagain says: Nov 15, 2013 11:19 AM

Lol at Redskins. You got to love the little guys. Bobby Griffin just isn’t that good and the team, owner and coach are equally as bad. Irrelevant for the foreseeable future.

26. 21stnprime says: Nov 15, 2013 11:23 AM

if he can still run near a 4.5, they probably need his help in the secondary

27. huntre2k says: Nov 15, 2013 11:30 AM

lol, can’t believe anyone is pointing any fingers at RG III. He’s a great QB, he’s going to make mistakes just like the rest of them. Redskins have serious talent needs that they haven’t been able to fill due to cap penalties, so they play the best they can with what they got. We should see significant upgrades to the offensive line, secondary and receivers (speed/separation) next year. This year? I think we all still enjoy watching them play, and like every fan out there, we get frustrated when they don’t play up to our expectations, but hey, it’s a game! As a fan, I still have hopes they can run the table. Would I make a large bet they will? um, no :) but, I still have hope. From this fan, there is no finger pointing. A team isn’t just one player.. I love D. Green but don’t agree with his perspective. He’s not in the locker room and not part of this team. HTTR!

28. newjerseygiants says: Nov 15, 2013 11:35 AM

Possibly one day RG3 will be as good as Mike Vick.

29. weneedlinemen42 says: Nov 15, 2013 11:36 AM

“…growing concern whether he’ll ever deliver on the promise.”

Yes, if you count the opinions of complete morons.

In his first year he takes a team with poor depth, and in the midst of rebuilding from a decade of Vinnie Cerrato, to the play-offs. In his second, he makes it back from a severe knee injury, in time to start the first game of the season. Something that most people were saying was impossible. Despite the injury, the lack of pre-season practice and taking big hits behind a porous o-line, he is still healthy, and improving as the season progresses.

A lot of starting QBs have gone down around the league yet, for some reason, it’s the guy who played through a serious knee injury and came back faster than Adrian Peterson, who is getting knocked for his fragility.

Anyone who thinks that Griffin looks like a failure as a franchise QB needs to gain some perspective.

After two years, Joe Montana had fewer than 300 attempts. Aaron Rodgers, had 31 and had completed only 15. Drew Brees was a bust, benched in favour of Doug Flutie, mid-season, and his replacement taken in the following draft.

30. snaponrules says: Nov 15, 2013 11:37 AM

l0glcalv0icesays says:
    Nov 15, 2013 11:06 AM

———————————————————————————————————————————–

LOL, Dude he is not even in the top 10. Romo sucks and he is better then RG3 and 6.

31. greymares says: Nov 15, 2013 11:45 AM

Washington fans should expect out of Griffen what Atlanta got out of Vick. and my preference for a new nickname would be “Washington Ratskins’

32. gurnblanstonreturns says: Nov 15, 2013 11:47 AM

The seven game run last year was an aberration. The real Ratboy is showing in DC. A decent coach with an eye for talent is all Mike Shanahan is. He rode Elway and his own great pick, Terrell Davis, to two titles and subsequently has one playoff win in 15 years.

There is no accountability under Shanahan.

Haslett is in year four as DC continuing his unwavering pattern of giving up ungodly yards and points with especially vexing second half collapses. Still got a job.

Burns has coached the single worst special teams unit I have ever seen on any team, at any level. The Skins give up blocked kicks, blocked punts for scores, returns for scores, cover no one, return nothing. It is so bad that their best strategy in the Vikings game was an embarrassing refusal to kick off. Still has a job.

Kyle has been a dreadful playcaller and time manager throughout his three-plus years as OC. Go back and review the first two years to see utter futility when the team had no good, young QB and RB to mask Kyle’s ineptitude. League history is filled with failed OC’s who moved at will between the twenties. Plus, he is recklessly risking cutting Griffin’s career short – this will become even more dangerous as he and daddy grow ever more desperate to hold their jobs.

The Skins should thank Shanahan for his work on the roster while righting the ship after Zorn and send him on his way with his $7m going away gift.

Set interviews with Darrell Bevell, Winston Moss and Dave Toub as quickly as you can, Danny.

33. deshackle says: Nov 15, 2013 11:48 AM

John Beck is not walking through that door!

34. yousuxxors says: Nov 15, 2013 11:55 AM

I don’t think its RGIII … I think the main problem is shanny and his dumbass son.

35. l0glcalv0icesays says: Nov 15, 2013 12:30 PM

snaponrules says:
    Nov 15, 2013 11:37 AM
    l0glcalv0icesays says:
    Nov 15, 2013 11:06 AM

———————————————————————————————————————————–

——————————————————–

Typical of a Cowboys fan to be blinded by ignorance. If Jerry Jones is smart, he’d rather have RG3 than Romo. No one who isn’t biased can say that RG3 ISN’T the best QB in the NFL.

36. TheDPR says: Nov 15, 2013 1:00 PM

Bad owners tend to hire and stick with bad coaches past their expiration date. Danny and Shanny are the problem with the Washington football team. Robert Griffin (I won’t use the clever nickname until he’s actually won something in the NFL) can become a quality NFL QB but I don’t expect much success out of that franchise because of the problems at the top.

37. skins1970 says: Nov 15, 2013 1:12 PM

Danny is no longer the problem he has stayed out of personnel decisions ever since “Bug Eyes” was fired. The problem is that Shanny is trying to do to 2 jobs he is both the GM and HC. Bruce Allen has the GM title but he is just a cap guy it’s obvious Shanny is in charge of the personnel.

38. skins1970 says: Nov 15, 2013 1:15 PM

@snapon rules are you trying to say Darrell Green who is considered to be one of the greatest CBs in the history of the NFL is not in your top 10?

39. skinsfan91 says: Nov 15, 2013 1:24 PM

It’s going to take time. We don’t have all the pieces right now. Our defense is the worst in the league. And it’s not just yards, we give up the points as well. It doesn’t matter if you’re averaging 28 points a game when your defense give up 36.

40. jobo50 says: Nov 15, 2013 2:14 PM

How dare him call out the best darn QB in football.Are all you Redskin fans blind to the fact that Bobby is a bust. When the going gets tough Bobby throws his teammates under the bus. Now that’s what I call a leader!!!

41. laserw says: Nov 15, 2013 2:57 PM

Darrell is spot on. You can’t coach up someone who is unwilling to lead. This problem with Halloween Griffin, a punk who dresses up in a QB costume, is not new – it isn’t because he’s in his second year. If you watched ANY of his college games, there never was any leadership. You will never see him will a team to victory – yank another player by the gonads and get his head in the game, nor will he uplift the other team by his passion for the game.

I have been insulted for pointing out the truth of this fraud, Halloween Griffin, but those insults do not turn him into anything greater than a very mediocre passer with a diminishing gift of his legs.

While it is unfair to compare Halloween Griffin with Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, or that chick in New England, it is far to hold him to the Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, and Colin K standard since they are his contemporaries. All of those QB’s are far better leaders of a team on the field – each has a sense of urgency and drive, and each has the ability to scramble around when needed. Each is now a winning QB in career stats – Halloween Griffin is fading and is an entrenched loser in his on-field performance. What is striking is that the Redskins are essentially the same team with the same personnel on offense that they were last year but Halloween Griffin is worse than ever – when he is forced into playing like a regular QB, he is incompetent and unprepared. Unless he can fall back on his gimmick, he is a loser.

Doubt me? Find a way to watch his college games. You’ll see his running style on display, but you’ll also see him playing only for himself and continually locking on targets, ignoring wide open receivers, and unable to lead an offense with any urgency. These were known flaws for him in college and the Redskins chose to ignore them when they gave up four years’ worth of drafts.

He is a fake,a fraud, a one trick pony, and likely unemployed after five years in the NFL.

42. defscottyb says: Nov 15, 2013 4:15 PM

Robert will be fine. He is not the problem. The Skins awful D is horrible, that’s the problem.

43. skins8888 says: Nov 15, 2013 6:57 PM

@RAvenTor… do you ever say anything intelligent or are you like every other white trash person from Baltimore who is jealous of d.c. because when RG3 takes a piss he instantly became more important then your entire disgusting crime ridden city? I sense Baltimore inferiority complex! Who did you cheer for all those years when the colts do what every tourist wants to do when the go to Baltimore LEAVE!

44. claimersays says: Nov 16, 2013 2:39 PM

skins1970 says:
    Nov 15, 2013 1:12 PM

Lol,”Bug Eyes” was my knickname for Reche Caldwell. Always thought Vinny had “Crazy Cocaine”eyes! At least we don’t still have Carlos “Hands of Stone” Rogers. And YES he definitely deserves the name more than Roberto Duran