Roethlisberger lashes out again at ongoing reports of discord

Roethlisberger AP

NFL Network continues to drive a wedge between the Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.  And Roethlisberger continues to reiterate his desire to stay in Pittsburgh — and to express frustration at the reports regarding the existence of reports that tend to drive a wedge between the Steelers and Roethlisberger.

Roethlisberger joined WDVE radio on Friday morning, following the latest barrage from NFLN, which among other things suggested that Roethlisberger needs to spend more working on his craft while away from the team’s facility.

“First and foremost, I don’t want to go anywhere,” Roethlisberger said.  “I want to be in Pittsburgh.  I hope that’s very clear to everybody that I want to stay, my family wants to stay.  We do not want to ask for a trade, we don’t want to go anywhere.  I want to finish my career here.  I’ve always said that, and I still feel firmly that way.”

While Roethlisberger suggested at times that the reports are fabricated, he acknowledged the possibility that someone in the building is talking out of turn, even though he doesn’t think that’s happening.

“When someone is a source and they’re unnamed, they have an agenda,” Roethlisberger said.  “And their agenda is not winning football games and not helping this team.  Whoever that agenda is coming from, they’re not helping us, they’re hurting us.”

Even if it’s coming from within the walls of the organization, Roethlisberger scoffed at the idea that he’s not working hard away from the facility.

“First of all, how does anybody know what I’m doing at home,” he said, “when I’m watching film or I’m looking through my playbook at home, unless someone someone’s got cameras set up in my house and they’re spying on me?  But then they’d see the truth that I am doing that stuff.”

He makes a good point, but it could be that folks in the building are concluding that he’s not doing anything at home based on where his level of preparation is, or isn’t, after a day or night off.

As to the far more relevant question regarding Roethlisberger’s next contract, given that his $17 million-plus cap number for 2014 can’t be reduced without an extension, Roethlisberger again avoided the question.

“I’m still ignorant to how all these cap things works and contracts,” Roethlisberger said.  “Honestly, if they come to me and say hey we want to restructure a deal or we want to do [a deal], whatever, I want to help the team out.  But all I can focus on right now is this season and this game.  Because that’s all that matters to me.  I don’t look for the future or the long term.  What’s gonna happen next year?  When’s my contract up?  These kind of things.  For me, it’s about how can I win this game, this week?”

Did you see what he did there?  In one breath, he says he never wants to leave the Steelers, but then he later says he’s not focused on the future.  If the last part is true, how can he say he never wants to leave, since that necessarily requires a focus on the future?

Initially, we suspected the Steelers were leaking these stories to generate a viable Plan B in the event that they can’t persuade Roethlisberger to insist on less than $20 million or more per year.  If so, it worked — because teams definitely will be inquiring about Roethlisberger in the offseason.

But the bigger goal seems to be helping the Steelers nail down Plan A:  Getting Ben to take less in order to stay in Pittsburgh.

While it appears at times that Plan A is working (especially when he angrily insists he never wants to leave), Ben continues to stop short of saying anything that would suggest he’d take less money than what he thinks he’s worth in order to stay in Pittsburgh.

Once he says that — once he declares that he’ll do whatever deal is necessary to stay with the Steelers — Plan A will be deemed successful.  So far, however, he has yet to take the bait.

Permalink 91 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
91 Responses to “Roethlisberger lashes out again at ongoing reports of discord”
  1. doctorrustbelt says: Nov 15, 2013 10:50 AM

ben roethlisberger wants to quit the steelers.

2. pooflingingmonkey says: Nov 15, 2013 10:54 AM

I don’t know why Roethlisberger would want to stay in Pittsburgh, nor do I know why the Steelers would want him to stay?

The Steelers are going to be a bad football team for the foreseeable future, and need to burn it all to the ground and start over.

3. steelbydesign says: Nov 15, 2013 10:56 AM

I’m not so sure that Ben will demand 20+ mil per season, even though his agent could easily do it, considering his credentials when compared to Flacco or Matt Ryan.

Look at what Ben has actually said (not what he hasn’t said)…

He’s said Tom Brady is the best QB in the NFL because he has the most rings.

He’s said he wants to finish with more rings than Bradshaw.

Now he’s said he absolutely wants to retire a Steeler.

…If all of those things are true. Ben knows that his chances at another superbowl are greatly reduced if he straps the team financially.

4. thekiy says: Nov 15, 2013 10:57 AM

He’ll be ready to quit after eating turf for sixty minutes on Sunday. That interior line is just going to get destroyed by Suh/Fairley/Mosley/Idonije…

5. meatsweat says: Nov 15, 2013 10:57 AM

I do see what he did there, and it’s not what you say he’s doing…

6. ravanator says: Nov 15, 2013 10:58 AM

Roethlisberger fits in perfect in Pittsburgh, of course he wants to stay. A mediocre QB represents the weak fair weather fan base very well.

#ravensowntheafcnorth
    #cheers!

7. packerbackernj says: Nov 15, 2013 11:01 AM

He should walk away after all this. Give a big middle finger to the Rooneys and let them sink to the bowels of the league. I get trying to get leverage in upcoming contract negotiations, but to trash a guy in the media who has been nothing but loyal and has won multiple titles is ridiculous. At the end of the day, there are multiple teams in the league that will drop 20m on him if he hits the market, so the team has 0 leverage. Trying to create some like this is just sickening.

8. salmen76 says: Nov 15, 2013 11:03 AM

The problem with the Steelers is Todd Haily. He doesn’t even pay his bills. Got sued for it and lost. Twice. Todd H is a joke. Big Ben won 2 Super Bowls. From a football fan perspective it looked to me like the Steelers forced Haily upon Big Ben. What’s so puzzling to me about it is it actually looks like they did it to lose on purpose. Ben deserves more respect than what he got in that situation. The Steelers don’t deserve Ben in my opinion. Geaux Saints!

9. mrw423 says: Nov 15, 2013 11:03 AM

You say, “Ben continues to stop short of saying anything that would suggest he’d take less money than what he thinks he’s worth in order to stay in Pittsburgh.”

Yet, Ben’s words are, “Honestly, if they come to me and say hey we want to restructure a deal or we want to do [a deal], whatever, I want to help the team out”

I don’t see how the first part holds true.

10. TheRealLogicalVoice says: Nov 15, 2013 11:04 AM

I hate the Steelers and I can’t stand Fat Ben but let’s be real here, the team is old and where they are old they are getting burned in the cap situation. They need to get younger and give Tomlin, who is a great coach, some talent to build. Why not ship Fat Ben to another team if they can get some draft picks similar to what the Bengals did with Plamer? They are on the same level right now anyway.

11. thetruthcampaign says: Nov 15, 2013 11:04 AM

“LISTEN, I have 2 rings. I want 5! Girls! Beer! Screw the playbook! I want to stay here!”

12. TheWizard says: Nov 15, 2013 11:05 AM

He makes a good point, but it could be….

There you go again.

13. gpclaw says: Nov 15, 2013 11:05 AM

It’s just as likely that Ben’s side is leaking this to the media, and trying to establish a market for his services. The more teams that inquire about Ben’s services, the more leverage he has in extension talks. Also, if Ben does have some interest in moving on, it’s in his best interest to know who’ interested before he sits down at the table with the Steelers after the year.

Ben already used the ‘retire’ word, so if a team is interested in his services, they would want to talk to his agent before talking to the Steelers. The team would want to make sure he would actually consider playing for them, before going through the effort to work out a deal with the Steelers.

14. stevenwilliams2013 says: Nov 15, 2013 11:07 AM

He’s not gonna get 20 million a year. I don’t see the Steelers giving him that much loot.

15. journeyman36 says: Nov 15, 2013 11:08 AM

Someone should tell Landry Jones to shut up.

16. justintuckrule says: Nov 15, 2013 11:09 AM

His agent should have gotten in his ear already and told him to disregard this nonsense. Ben’s not going anywhere. Pittsburgh is trying to take down the pot with 2, 7 off suit.

17. doctorrustbelt says: Nov 15, 2013 11:09 AM

What’s that quote about protesting too loud?!?

18. scrp2 says: Nov 15, 2013 11:09 AM

A guy with a 100 million dollar contract should open up his laptop and watch a little film and leaf through his playbook once or twice.

19. spyboots says: Nov 15, 2013 11:10 AM

With his wife’s family (and now his parents) all in Pittsburgh, a toddler and a new baby coming, he and his wife want to stay in Pittsburgh.

20. dietrich43 says: Nov 15, 2013 11:14 AM

Wouldn’t surprise me if Todd Haley is the source. I’m sure he’d be thrilled if they traded Ben – since it might me he would keep his job.

21. karla36 says: Nov 15, 2013 11:16 AM

Can’t wait to see Suh smack him down several times this weekend!!

22. mclovin07 says: Nov 15, 2013 11:19 AM

Anyone who gives Big Ben, or Cutler 100M will regret that contract within the first year. Both are on the wrong side of 30 and TBH, Big Ben holds the ball longer than anyone I’ve seen sans Ponder….which is saying something.

23. gettingpwned says: Nov 15, 2013 11:21 AM

If it comes from Glazer or Aditi (who actually covers the Steelers for nfln) or one of the beat writers, I’ll believe it. But Rapoport has been wrong in do many past Steelers stories it completely undercuts any credibility he has.

24. johnnyjagfan says: Nov 15, 2013 11:21 AM

NFLN has an agenda. That goof at halftime reporting this stuff with his feminine, almost Rachel Nichols-like sign off about Steeler’s scouts being in Clemson to watch Taj play was so staged. Both the player and owner say “no trade” yet he reports new details. It felt like I was watching old WWF interviews with the foreshadowing so thick any idiot would know that there’s a storyline. Emphasis on “story”.

25. bobzilla1001 says: Nov 15, 2013 11:24 AM

The one thing that sticks out about Roethlisberger’s initial denial, on Sunday, after the Bills game, was him displaying dismay and shock, saying that that was the first time he was hearing this story, when reporters confronted him moments after the win against Buffalo.
    NFLN broke the story early that Sunday morning. I myself got wind about the story through my son via text at around 10 am.
    I find it difficult to believe that in this age of instant communication, Roethlisberger wasn’t informed by a close relative or friend about NFLN’s report long before 7 hours had elapsed.

26. harrisonhits2 says: Nov 15, 2013 11:24 AM

I think this is yet another entirely media manufactured issue. I don’t believe there was any problem between the Steelers and Ben, and this is typical of what the media does these days. Just keep throwing smelly things at the wall and hope one of the them sticks long enough to create a “story”

27. raiderlyfe510 says: Nov 15, 2013 11:28 AM

Big Ben and Gruden in Oakland next year = championships

28. 6ball says: Nov 15, 2013 11:28 AM

Like every other organization the Steelers must evaluate every player and his contract during the off season.

The dilemma for the Steelers is: do you want to sign BR to an expensive long term contract and rebuild around him ? Or, would you prefer to deal him for picks, draft a replacement in round 1, and use the acquired picks / saved cap space to shore up the rest of the roster?

Reasonable people can disagree on this.

29. boctavious says: Nov 15, 2013 11:32 AM

Steeler implosion.

30. ubepunkedagain says: Nov 15, 2013 11:33 AM

Fat Jen should waste away and endure the hard times that are coming. Media, do not allow this guy to follow you into the bathroom and tell you “it’s okay”.

31. icematrix69 says: Nov 15, 2013 11:34 AM

Arizona is foaming at the mouth hearing all this scuttle….

32. Steeley McBeam says: Nov 15, 2013 11:36 AM

My mind is totally blown about how clear and consise he is being yet his words are still being twisted.

I know the media likes to stick together but why are people taking the word of an “unnamed source” when Ben Roethlisberger is sitting right in front of you completly tearing the report apart?

33. xpensivewinos says: Nov 15, 2013 11:38 AM

Once they fire Haley after this season, all will be fine in Ben’s world……

34. mizzousooner says: Nov 15, 2013 11:43 AM

This next decade is going to be ugly in Rustville.

35. wrestlecraprd says: Nov 15, 2013 11:45 AM

The Onion said it best with their headline “Pittsburgh Residents Horrified To Learn Ben Roethlisberger Considers City Home”

36. steelcurtainn says: Nov 15, 2013 11:51 AM

Big Ben should stay away from all radio stations. He shouldn’t answer any questions other then those pertaining to the lions game. Rumors and contract talks are for the off season not the middle of the football season when you about to play the lions.

37. steelersaregodsteam says: Nov 15, 2013 11:52 AM

Ben was born a Steeler. It is as simple as that and the discussion ends there. Everyone can think what they want, but that’s the truth. The media loves to manufacture stories.

38. stoogy says: Nov 15, 2013 11:52 AM

No matter what Ben says or does if the steelers do not want him next year he will not be there. He is scared cause he knows that if he does not go to a team that has a top 5 defense he will look meidicor at best. He is the most over rated QB of all times and the steelers need to rebuild from top to bottom starting with Ben and he is scared. Hense being so defensive other wise he would jsut let it go in one ear and out the other. Big Baby Ben.

39. TheDPR says: Nov 15, 2013 11:55 AM

I don’t think Ben’s a great QB but he can help some team win games if he moves on. If he really wants another ring or two, he’s going to have to because the Steelers won’t be contenders in the next few years and a few years is all Ben has left.

40. pmars64 says: Nov 15, 2013 11:59 AM

I’m no Steeler fan and think Big Ben is a turd, but why would he want to stay with the Steelers? They’ve done him no favors by saddling him with a crappy offensive line for most of his career. Some would argue they did this purposely because they knew he could take the hits or scramble away from heat or, because of his size, he would be tough to sack anyway. Instead they tried to fill out the rest of the roster (and have failed). In the past couple of years the Steelers FINALLY have tried to build an offensive line, but it’s almost too late. Watching him Ben play now, he’s not quite the same QB he was five, six years ago. The punishment has taken a toll and the Steelers front office is to blame. So, why stay? Go find a decent team with a better offensive line to extend your career.

41. zam0854 says: Nov 15, 2013 11:59 AM

quit already Ben, stop with all this reverse psychology like you really want to play for this team

42. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 15, 2013 12:00 PM

Fish fight, who will hook the other first!

43. shatho1 says: Nov 15, 2013 12:05 PM

he did say that if they came to him and said they wanted to restructure or do a deal that he wanted to help the team out which tells me he is willing, the last paragraph in this article contradicts what was written in the paragraph where Ben said he wants to help the team out

44. cmosiedrum says: Nov 15, 2013 12:06 PM

I have no love for the Steelers and I really do not like Ben Rapesthburger! I have no agenda on this matter.
    With that said what I really, really hate is fabricated media hype for their own joy in spinning & twisting a story into something bigger and/or different than it is. It’s on the level of a paparazzi or an ambulance chaser. Re-read the article and you can hear Mr. Burns from the Simpsons rubbing his hands together saying, “You see what he did there?”
    Unfortunately that’s the image that a some writers here, have attained.

It was said earlier: They need to get younger and give Tomlin, who is a great coach, some talent to build.

45. CKL says: Nov 15, 2013 12:11 PM

The stuff about his work ethic did not come from Ian R. That came from Silver. And much as I CANNOT STAND the guy and think he loves to stir the pot, he usually does actually have something real that people have told him to back his statements (as I found out with my team’s QB and all this “talking” to his old WRs stuff earlier this year).

If PFT wants it confirmed, they do have a relationship with a certain former Pitt WR from their time on NBC and perhaps they can get an “anonymous confirmation”?

Honestly though I can’t recall any of BR’s teammates lauding his work ethic and study habits. They will talk about what a “playmaker”, “tough guy” or “winner” he is usually, but that’s the type of praise he gets,not for his grey matter. So it really isn’t far fetched to think there could be some truth to that.

46. justintuckrule says: Nov 15, 2013 12:11 PM

mclovin07 says:
    Nov 15, 2013 11:19 AM
    …Big Ben holds the ball longer than anyone I’ve seen sans Ponder….which is saying something.-
    ——-
    LOL. Actually, you’re not saying anything. “sans” means “without”. So, you’re saying Ben holds the ball longer than anyone you’ve seen “without” Ponder.

Just busting chops. I get your point. However, this gives me an opportunity to say that I hate the word “sans”. We’re not in France.

47. dodohead418 says: Nov 15, 2013 12:13 PM

NFL Network expert, he was looking directly at you.

48. Chuck Norris says: Nov 15, 2013 12:16 PM

I think this story is why Belichick is tight lipped about everything, and keeps his players tight lipped as well. Responding to it just keeps it going and then there are “new developments” even when the new aspect is simply made up, lol

49. my2cents277 says: Nov 15, 2013 12:22 PM

At this point, I think Ben is probably really really torn at this point regarding his future with the Steelers… He knows deep down that he will probably finish his career in Pittsburgh on some mediocre teams and possibly on a losing note… A few more 8-8 seasons, throw possibly a 9-7 season in there and his HOF career is just about over! What he is really trying to say is, “Look guys, I love Pittsburgh and I love the Steelers, BUT if you have a chance to draft a franchise Quarterback and trade me to Arizona, PLEASE DO IT!!”

50. cheffyglenn says: Nov 15, 2013 12:22 PM

@Ravanator how is it that you own the division when the Steelers have beat the Rat Birds twice in a row. You paid a less than mediocre QB 120 million. Gonna love to see you stuck with that sorry excuse of a QB for the next 6 years!! Go steelers. #6rings

51. vicnocal says: Nov 15, 2013 12:28 PM

===”Did you see what he did there? In one breath, he says he never wants to leave the Steelers, but then he later says he’s not focused on the future. If the last part is true, how can he say he never wants to leave, since that necessarily requires a focus on the future?”===

God you’re pathetic.

52. sallust99 says: Nov 15, 2013 12:30 PM

You have to simply love all these gloom and doomers – let’s once again count the number of times the Steelers were 1 of 4 teams left standing, i.e., playing for a conference championship – one game away for playing for it all:

72, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 84, 94, 95, 97, 01, 04, 05, 08, and 10

For those of you who cannot count – that is 15 times!

And I am talking conf champ game appearancs because NO ONE, I mean NO ONE has been that dominate for that many decades.

I strongly suggest the “Steelers haters” get a life and read a book . . . Facts are stubborn things after all . . .

53. cheffyglenn says: Nov 15, 2013 12:41 PM

It’s called loyalty. Something the NFL has been without since free agency. It used to be that a player got drafted and stayed with the team his whole career. Imagine how many more rings the Steelers would have if free agency never happened. Can you tell me a better wide receiver core than Hines Ward, Plaxio Burres, Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown. Don’t get me started on what our Linebackers could have looked like. Greed has changed the game into something it never should have become.

54. hanifmiller says: Nov 15, 2013 12:45 PM

“Did you see what he did there? In one breath, he says he never wants to leave the Steelers, but then he later says he’s not focused on the future. If the last part is true, how can he say he never wants to leave, since that necessarily requires a focus on the future?”
    _________________________________
    Wow–this sounds like an attorney could have written this. Oh wait…

55. cunninghampeetemcnabbvick says: Nov 15, 2013 12:47 PM

Where there is smoke there is fire. I personally think the leaks are coming from Ben’s camp. He just seems a little too upset about it. I mean it’s not like he’s a young guy, he should really not be surprised by the business side of it at this point in his career. My guess is it’s all about leverage anyways but you never know.

56. l0glcalv0icesays says: Nov 15, 2013 12:49 PM

Roethlisberger is no RG3. RG3 would NEVER allow these things to happen because he handles things like a true professional. #HTTR

57. rjyoung317 says: Nov 15, 2013 12:50 PM

Seriously people calling Ben mediocre or worse simply don’t know football. Look at his stats, record, clutch stats etc and they add up to a top 5 QB. Comparing him to Cutler is a joke.

He isn’t talking out of both sides of his mouth. Is he suppose to say I am so focused on my contract situation next year that I can’ t focus from week to week. Give me a break.

As far as not taking market value. Did Rogers, Brees, Brady, Flaco, The Mannings, Ryan or Vick take under market value. Why should Ben?

If the Steelers want him then he will retire a Steeler. And they should want him.

If the Steelers want to take a shot in the draft. Good luck. There is a reason it took them nearly 30 years to win their fifth super bowl. Look at the qbs between bradshaw and Ben

58. slick50ks says: Nov 15, 2013 12:51 PM

This was ALL inevitable with the Todd Haley hire. You can’t add a cancer like that to any team and not suffer the same fate.

59. pmars64 says: Nov 15, 2013 12:56 PM

@ cheffyglenn
    You’ve got to be kidding. Teams can cast aside a player as soon as he’s unable to perform due to injury or age or whatever and the NFL is the only league where teams don’t have to honor player contracts once they’re let go and you’re complaining about player loyalty?

Please get a reality check.

60. holeinone09 says: Nov 15, 2013 1:13 PM

I don’t think Ben needs to say anything more about this story. He is clear about his intentions to stay in Pittsburgh and even restructure if it helps the team. I hope he refuses to discuss the story any more, although he will be asked about it daily, no doubt. The media continues to churn this story, and PFT does nothing to change that. This is about the 6th or 7th story about this matter on PFT.

I hope the same people that are calling for Ben to be gone are happy if he does leave for some reason and the Steelers go through another 20+ year period of bad QB-ing, just like they did between Terry and Ben. Ben has more than earned his current contract here, and it is amazing how some “experts” are reacting to his career with the Steelers. Boggles my mind.

61. Deb says: Nov 15, 2013 1:29 PM

@pooflingingmonkey …

You don’t know why Ben would want to stay in Pittsburgh? He’s a $100 million quarterback who’s been allowed to behave like a frat boy with little or no accountability. He’s in a town where fans post things like “jaypell says: BIG BEN IS PITTSBURGH. PERIOD” in a season when we’re 3-6.

People spat on Terry Bradshaw when the Steelers were having a bad season. The guy won four Super Bowls–and was MVP for two of them–but couldn’t bring himself to come back to visit the city for years because he couldn’t forget how badly he’d been treated during his early career. Roethlisberger has the worst stats of any Super Bowl quarterback and is revered.

I loved what Ben brought to the team. Thought the run to SBXL was magic. Thought the final drive of SBXLIII was magic. But the Steelers never pushed him to live up to his enormous talent potential. They let him indulge his famous lazy streak. Why would he want to go somewhere that might expect him to work harder?

62. schmitty2 says: Nov 15, 2013 1:33 PM

sallust99 says:Nov 15, 2013 12:30 PM

72, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 84, 94, 95, 97, 01, 04, 05, 08, and 10

For those of you who cannot count – that is 15 times!

I strongly suggest you quit living up to 40 years in the past and fast forward to present day and the problems that CURRENTLY exist on this team.

63. bobzilla1001 says: Nov 15, 2013 1:50 PM

holeinone:
    What does having Ben Roethlisberger on the team have to do with winning Super Bowls?
    Was he on the team in 2004? In 2006? In 2007? 2009? In 2011? In 2012?
    Is he on the team now?
    Super Bowls are about great TEAMS, something the Steelers no longer have, and didn’t have for most of the 20-plus years you keep railing about.
    The Steelers can be thankful they played the generic ’05 Seahawks and defensive-challenged ’08 Cardinals in the two Super Bowls they did win with Roethlisberger.
    Two Super Bowl wins: One TD pass.
    That’s called being “fortunate.”
    The Steelers were winning and relevant before Roethlisberger, and they will be once again when he’s gone. Providing Mike Tomlin is replaced at some point.

64. patsfan1820 says: Nov 15, 2013 1:56 PM

I hate Big Ben and the Steelers but why would Ben want to go anywhere? He’s got talent around him to succeed he just needs an upgraded offensive line and for Haley to get fired and he’s good to go. Now the Pittsburgh defense however that’s another issue that will be coming up soon.

65. crownofthehelmet says: Nov 15, 2013 2:09 PM

Talk all you want doubters. Name me 5 QB’s today you’d rather have to win you a game. That’s what I thought.

66. clemenza58 says: Nov 15, 2013 2:10 PM

This whole “story” has no basis of fact. Nothing is going to stop the national sports media from running with whatever narrative they want to spin. No matter what Ben or the Steelers say (or how they say it), it must be true in the eyes of the so-called “insiders” because it’s their job to create a stir (which they’re doing). There is a reason Rapoport has been on all the Pittsburgh radio stations this week: to save his creditability. And it looks like Silver is trying to help him save face.

When guys like Ed Bouchette, Gerry Dulac, Stan Savran, Mark Kaboly, Ron Cook, Joe Starkey, Bob Labriola, Mike Prisuta and Alan Robinson start reporting that Ben Roethlisberger wants to be traded, then I’ll believe it’s a story. Until then, this is what it is: a rediculous rumor with no legs.

67. justintuckrule says: Nov 15, 2013 2:27 PM

sallust99 says:
    Nov 15, 2013 12:30 PM

72, 74, 75, 76, 78, 79, 84, 94, 95, 97, 01, 04, 05, 08, and 10

For those of you who cannot count – that is 15 times!

———————————————-
    Impressive indeed. However, Giants have won the most world championships in the last 28 years.

68. crownofthehelmet says: Nov 15, 2013 2:28 PM

bobzilla1001 says:
    Two Super Bowl wins: One TD pass.
    ——————————————————
    It’s a good thing then that his One was the best SB TD pass in the history of the NFL.

69. moschops says: Nov 15, 2013 2:48 PM

This could all be unfounded speculation, or it could be that either the Steelers or Ben’s camp is leaking info to the press to gain leverage in negotiations, but I can’t help but feel that some other organization out there is trying to “poison the well”.

There are a couple of coaches out there that know a lot about the Pittsburgh media market, and one in particular that didn’t exit under particularly pleasant circumstances.

The team that man coaches *needs* a QB, won a SB ring with Ben, has a pretty good defense, and could probably afford to pay Ben what he wants.

There’s also a team in Cleveland that is currently owned by one of the Steelers’ former minority owners (and presumably has knowledge of the inner workings of the Steelers organization) , needs a QB, and has a GM with close ties to the NFL network…the very same network that has been hammering this story.

I’d be willing to bet that Ben will be in Pittsburgh for at least a few more seasons with a large, backloaded contract.

70. holeinone09 says: Nov 15, 2013 2:54 PM

bobzilla1001 says: Nov 15, 2013 1:50 PM

holeinone:
    Was he on the team in 2004? In 2006? In 2007? 2009? In 2011? In 2012?
    Is he on the team now?

I completely agree, it is about TEAMS, and that includes every player. You seem to forget about ANY play Ben made over the years, it’s like he never made a good play in his entire career. YOU forget he led them down the field to win the Cardinals game, end of story. He threw 2 TD passes at the end of that game; Holmes dropped one and caught one. I was there.

And all you have done bobz is blame this entire season on Ben. He is the only player you criticize, over and over. You don’t believe in “TEAM”, you believe Ben is the sole reason. It seems like in your opinion, no other player has made a mistake this year. You and citizenstrange must be related, you both say the same things, over and over.

Like I said, you may get your wish and Ben will be gone before the end of his contract. You better hope they have an OL that can block or the new guy will get killed if he isn’t 6’5″ and 240 pounds.

71. bigbenownsthenfl says: Nov 15, 2013 2:55 PM

if it wasn’t for ben tackling harper after bettis fumble in the 05 playoff run that is now known as “the immaculate tackle” there would be no victory over the seahawks. because they wouldn’t of been in the superbowl that year. and there would be no bettis grill on the northside. in fact we would be talking about bettis as the biggest goat in Pittsburgh sports history!!! if it wasn’t for ben throwing a precision pass with the super bowl on the line against Arizona there would be no victory. after the defense yet gave another 4th qtr lead. this defense has been deteriorating for years! this isn’t news folks. they have blown many leads which ben has given them in the 4th qtr. and this isn’t new with a star QB in Pittsburgh. brady fails in 3 straight super bowls. yet he is revered. manning fails in the playoffs yet he is a god! ben goes to 3 super bowls and wins 2 et he is a piece of crap! go figure!

72. brilskin says: Nov 15, 2013 2:58 PM

————————————-
    Easy Matlock. The guy is answering questions on a local radio station – not being cross examined or deposed. Can we take this at face value and move on – he wants to stay a Steeler and there will be a tough contract negotiation. Period.

73. m1k3g says: Nov 15, 2013 2:59 PM

ravanator says:
    Nov 15, 2013 10:58 AM
    —————————————————————————————

This guy knows what he is talking about. Afterall, who knows mediocre QBs better than a ravens fan?

74. brilskin says: Nov 15, 2013 3:05 PM

bigbenownsthenfl says:Nov 15, 2013 2:55 PM

————————————————-
    Forgot about ‘the immaculate tackle’. Let’s give him the $17M and have him play safety too.

75. jonkoethe says: Nov 15, 2013 3:08 PM

Bobzilla said it best

“Two Super Bowl Wins”

76. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Nov 15, 2013 3:23 PM

i’m of the opinion that if the sources w/in the building in pittsburgh had spent the last few years assembling better talent, esp. in the o-line which has been bad for a while now, they wouldn’t be whispering in the hallways about ben now.

77. Nofoolnodrool says: Nov 15, 2013 3:24 PM

No one should be surprised the big Prune is blaming everything on Ben. He changes his focus by mistake when he says football is a team sport, but he catches himself and it’s back to bashing Ben. But I bet BobZ partied very hardy when Ben won him those SB’s …..right prune?

78. steelnation88 says: Nov 15, 2013 3:25 PM

The media look for anything to write on that would create some type of conflict. What would be better than to attack a team that is struggling that is usually at the top of the league. If Ben wants a trade so be it that is his decision. For some reason I don’t believe it.

79. tedmurph says: Nov 15, 2013 3:36 PM

I don’t believe any of this came from the Roethlisberger camp. He seems genuinely furious and seems to want to stay. He had to hedge a little bit, so the Steelers don’t think he’ll take a low ball deal to stay.

The Steelers , although in cap trouble, could restructure him if they wanted to. They have some wiggle room with guys like Polomalu, Taylor and LBrown going into the last yr of big contracts they could either cut or restructure. They could also trade him, although they wouldn’t get as much as some Steeler fans think(a 2nd this yr and a 3rd next?) and they’d have more dead money. It would give them the ammo to move up(which they seldom do) from around #10 if there’s a guy they want.

When did Ben ever say he wanted 20 mil? Because Flacco got that? That was Flaccos 2nd contract, his big swing. Two guys BB mentioned, Brady and Manning, don’t make that. Brady took a below mkt deal to stay in NE.

IMO, someone just heard BB say a couple things out of frustration in a losing yr. They took that, and the fact he doesn’t like Haley and ran with it, to keep the grist mills turning.

80. dudeicle says: Nov 15, 2013 3:39 PM

not likely to get another ring anytime soon with the Steelers… Got two rings already, might as well go get some $$. And possibly a shot at another ring

81. Dogsweat says: Nov 15, 2013 4:21 PM

Big Ben for Colin Tebow straight across!

82. quittsburghstoolers says: Nov 15, 2013 4:28 PM

Big Bum needs to fitted with a special helmet.

It doesn’t need a faceguard or a chinstrap.

It just needs a gag large enough to fit into his BIG mouth….

83. Nofoolnodrool says: Nov 15, 2013 4:39 PM

quittsburghstoolers | Nov 15, 2013, 4:28 PM EST
    Big Bum needs to fitted with a special helmet.

It doesn’t need a faceguard or a chinstrap.

It just needs a gag large enough to fit into his BIG mouth….

Ease off your glass of stupid dude. I think you should do Ben a favor and lend him yours he won’t mind that it’s a bit worn around the edges.

84. mark4steelers says: Nov 15, 2013 5:12 PM

Did you see what he (not Roethlisburger) did there, he took a clear cut “I’m not going anywhere” and tries to lawyer-it-up into drama. All this stuff is designed to create Steeler drama because the Steelers have gone 3-1 in the last 4. They, whoever they may be, don’t want the Steelers keeping that trend going. What better way to do that then to create a distraction for Roethlisberger?

85. bobzilla1001 says: Nov 15, 2013 6:14 PM

bigfool:
    There are over 80 comments on this thread, and very few of them are complimentary towards your hero. I truly enjoy living inside your head. There’s lots of room in here, and there’s even an echo.
    Happy stalking.

holeinone:
    When I say the TEAM now stinks, do I really need to list everyone individually? Really? Are you that insecure about your opinions regarding a player the Steelers CAN NO LONGER AFFORD?

86. holeinone09 says: Nov 15, 2013 6:33 PM

bobz, can they afford Woodley, with his massive production since he signed his last contract? I have said they may not be able to keep Ben, but I hope they do. Ben didn’t cause their cap issue, he signed his contract a long while ago and IMHO has clearly OUTPERFORMED it compared to salaries of other NFL QBs who have not accomplished ANYTHING NEAR what Ben has done, for all his warts. If they can’t “afford” him, then they better immediately improve their OL and running game, since replacing Ben with someone that can take the constant hounding and punishment won’t be easy. It took over 20 years to replace Bradshaw.

Fact: The ONLY player you have criticized is Ben. Show me where you criticized ONE OTHER PLAYER. Go right ahead. Do you even read your own posts before you push the submit button?? You clearly don’t read/understand mine. You ignore every point I make and never address it. Your inability to give Ben one shred of credit for anything he has done is laughable. Your issue, not mine.

87. bobzilla1001 says: Nov 15, 2013 7:11 PM

holeinone:
    If you expect me to do cartwheels overt a QB who averages 20 TD passes per season, that’s simply never going to happen. I’ve often wondered just how much better the Steelers’ defenses might’ve been if they actually had huge leads. But I’ll never know.
    I don’t expect you to agree. You’ve bought into ESPN’s crazy notion that only great QBs win Super Bowls. That’s a fallacy.
    Roethlisberger is the Steelers’ highest paid player. He’s given the most credit when they win but the least blame when they lose. He’s never been a Super Bowl MVP, or a league MVP, and he has rarely even been a Pro Bowl selection (twice?)
    Come next season, Woodley, Taylor, Polamalu, and Kiesel will also all be gone. There’s going to be a major housecleaning.

88. steelchampions says: Nov 15, 2013 11:52 PM

What’s the real problem, though? I think that’s the question that should everyone should be asking. It’s too easy to just lay blame on the quarterback and head coach as being no good or incompetent. Look a little deeper and it starts to make more sense that, if Ben is in fact going to ask for a trade, he is looking for a way out if things don’t go the way he wants them to. That’s not being critical; that’s being analytical. Would Average Joe go to work and enjoy working under a supervisor he doesn’t like or the way he runs things? No. He would bide his time until he had another option and take it should the upper-management decide to stick with said supervisor. It’s as simple as that, in my opinion. Ben Roethlisberger doesn’t like Todd Haley or his offense and should the Steelers stick with Haley, or more accurately choose Haley over Roethlisberger, a trade becomes the way out.

89. bigbenownsthenfl says: Nov 16, 2013 12:46 AM

if you expect me to do cartwheels over a defense that is the worst in the league every year that simply wont happen. they spent all the money on the defense and spend very little money on the offense. they sign 5ft 9 inch receivers for ben. while brady throws to gronk. ben throws to little shrimps. they spent no money on offense and spent it all on defense. ben is awesome. but hes no miracle worker. joe Montana couldn’t do anything with that offense!

90. 1mommicked1 says: Nov 16, 2013 10:53 AM

who’d want him

91. Deb says: Nov 16, 2013 1:10 PM

Gronkowski is a tight end, not a WR. He is 6’6″. Heath Miller is 6’5″.

Danny Amendola is 5’11″ and Edelman is 5’10″–the exact heights of Sanders and Brown. Jerricho Cotchery is 6’1″ and Steelers rookie WR Derek Moye is 6’5″. Wes Welker, arguably the most important receiver the Pats have had in recent years is 5’9″.

But, of course, my posts have nothing to do with actual football knowledge and are all about being mean to poor Ben.