Andre Johnson on staying in Houston: “I’m under contract”

Getty Images

With so much talk this week about whether a 10-year franchise quarterback wants to stay in Pittsburgh, it’s now possible that an 11-year cornerstone pass-catcher may want out of Houston.

After Sunday’s late-game verbal exchange between Texans quarterback Matt Schaub and receiver Andre Johnson, the veteran wideout exited the playing field with time remaining in the game.  (Randy Moss was once criticized heavily for doing that.)

When the game ended, Schaub and coach Gary Kubiak took the high road.  Johnson did the same regarding Schaub, but Johnson’s message regarding whether he’s happy in Houston was ominous.

“I’m under contract so I have to play my contract out,” Johnson said, via SportsRadio 610 in Houston.  “I can’t do anything about that.”

Johnson is under contract through 2016, with a base salary of $6.5 million in 2014, $10.5 million in 2015, and $11 million in 2016.  If Johnson wants out after the season, the Texans could at least entertain the possibility; the cap consequences of a trade or a release could be very relevant to any final decision.

65 responses to “Andre Johnson on staying in Houston: “I’m under contract”

1. If Dez did this he would be crucified, but when Dre does it it’s no big deal. Not trying to hate because I really do love Dre, and he’s a very classy guy, but I just don’t understand the double standard.

2. A new HC changes his tune. There is no good explination for going back to Schaub and since it pissed off AJ it’s even dumber. That was a fireable offense.

3. It’s too bad, but I understand. our owner and coach are so bad. It’s a shame this city didn’t get an owner that cared.

4. Relax, he wouldn’t be happy playing for either of those loser teams, the Jets or the Raiders. But I doubt he stays in Houston for another year

5. I am pretty sure any team in the NFL would love to have this guy on their team. He is not demanding to be off the team and Houston loves this guy,so I don’t see him go anywhere until his contract is up.

6. Never understood paying a player more $ Deeper into his contract.He wont be worth $11m in 2016.Saying “I’m under contract” is the same as saying I shouldn’t have extended and I’m stuck for another 2 years

7. greg2geez says: Nov 17, 2013 7:50 PM

The man would look great in silver & black.

-_______________________

Nobody looks Great in silver and black

8. When you get Andre to say something like that, you messed up bad. Andre has NEVER been a problem, helps the community, and is one of the classiest players in the league. Andre isn’t a young man, and he knows that. He’s tired of losing.

9. Very amateur hour to leave the field like that. Another sign of the thin skin players are having these days aka Jonathan Martin.

“Oh noes, my quarterback was mean to me, screw you guys I’m going home before the game’s over.”

10. You just never know who will be good or bad in this league. This Texans team was suppose to a Super Bowl squad and this Raiders team was suppose to be the worst in NFL history. Amazing.

11. broncogang says: Nov 17, 2013 7:58 PM

Yea he would really wana go to another crap team in “Silver and Black” or the only ten in the NFL who has a baseball Stadium.
    —————
    Bronco fans are so smart.

12. If your willing to drop all 3 years left to 15million total then the Genius Bill Belichik might have use for you. No receiver is worth 10 million outside of Megatron.

13. I don’t blame Johnson the Texans really never live up the their hype. They should be a playoff team but somehow they suck. As for Big Ben can we please stop talking about this, his not going anywhere.

14. greg2geez says:
    Nov 17, 2013 7:50 PM
    The man would look great in silver & black.

———————————————–

Trading a high draft pick for Andre Johnson at this stage in his career would be sooo Oakland Raiders

15. I don’t even know why a reporter would ask him a question like that. He’s already feeling bad after a loss, and then you get in his face and start grilling him about wether he wants to stay in town? Why put the guy in that position?
    Well, I already know the answer. It’s what reporters do. Stir the nest. Rake the muck. Scramble the eggs. Cause trouble. Can’t some of these guys find a more respectable job?

16. Douglassgreenbriar meant to say trading away a high pick for an underperforming player would be so colts.

17. cowboysspurs88 says:
    Nov 17, 2013 7:55 PM

its because everyone hates the cowboys.

18. Andre was having fun catching long balls from a Case. Schaub comes in and misses Andre wide open twice (not on the last drive). He’s as frustrated as the fans. Kubiak has lost the team.

19. Great player, but he’s 32 and heading toward the downside of his career. No way I’d invest too much in a trade for this guy if I were GM of an NFL team.

20. For those saying he’s upset about Keenum, who do you think threw Andre all of those td passes during his career?

Schaub has had a bad year but hes had a very consistent career in Houston. Hes easily their best Qb in franchise history.

Not saying Keenum shoulda been benched but I doubt Andre hates Schaub

21. WAIT. READ THIS.

i wanted to see if that would get any of you to read this. i’m a vikings fan but a huge andre johnson fan. he’s been on my fantasy team at least the last 4 of 5 years. i can’t imagine how amazing his career would have been with great QB’s. i kinda like the texans but think he got screwed with sub-par QB’s.

Hall of Fame talent, easily.

22. Randy Moss only got criticized because people didn’t like him and his public actions made him look unlikable.

Criticism on on-field demeanor and how one carries himself should be banned.

All it does is show that the media is filled with little boys crying wolf when they try to deflect political habits when they clearly act too political to be viewed as objective.

Just because Andre Johnson “carries himself well” in front of the public it doesn’t mean he’s not T.O. or the antithesis of a “bad guy,” jerk,” or “clown.” It shows me that the media’s willingness to fall for possibly phony acts and conclude about people’s characters for who they are in public is all based on gullibility.

If I want characteristics to be summarized in this manner I am better off having five year olds working in the media. They believe in unicorns and, evidently, the media does too.

23. If Dez did this he would be crucified, but when Dre does it it’s no big deal. Not trying to hate because I really do love Dre, and he’s a very classy guy, but I just don’t understand the double standard.

————————————————————

24. I’m a Texans fan and I don’t blame Andre if he really wants out of this franchise! But, if front office do entertain trading Andre next offseason, New England would be the prefect spot for him. Johnson wants a ring before he retires, and he’s not settling for nothing less.

New England is hurting at WR this year, but their managing cause they have one of the elite future Hall of Fame QB’s in the league, Tom Brady. Do you actually think Bill Bilcheck and Brady going to turn down another future Hall of Fame player in Andre Johnson!? I don’t think so.

Imagine, Brady & Johnson connecting for a TD!? Can we say New England Super Bowl!?

25. That was only part of the quote….”I’ve always said this this is where I wanted to be, so I don’t really have anything to say about that,” he said. “I still have an ongoing contract.”

26. As much as I like Johnson, and he would look great on most rosters (For example, him with DeSean Jackson on the other side would be sick), but I doubt they trade him. Even if he’s not really happy, I don’t see how they get any return on him. That’s a big base salary in those last 2 years.

Sure, the team that trades him can release him after 2014 without a cap hit (that will go to Houston when they move him, another roadblock), but then they are trading for a guy they only intend to keep for a year, so how much would they give up?

If they are willing to take a late 4th or 5th, I could see him being dealt (depending on the cap ramifications), if they want anything more, I think they’ll find the market empty

27. blackngold4life says:
    Nov 17, 2013 8:06 PM
    ————————————–
    That’s precisely why they do it. The big money starts coming when the player starts declining. That way the team can get his best years on the cheap and dump him when the pay outweighs the production.

28. Ive had a fantasy crush on andre johnson for close to a decade but I didnt draft him this year and I could have.

Matt Schaub is a half way decent qb but hes more of a game manager type. Who hasnt been able to manage games this year.

Gary kubiak isnt the worst coach either. His system is somewhat vanilla and predictable though. Some playcalling has even been suspect. Like the 4th and 1 call against seattle where they called a bootleg.

Im a hawks fan but I like the texans team. Johnson has always been a stud and they have many other stud players too. Kick butt uniforms. Id imagine if I was a texans fan id be pretty frustrated to see the talent year in and out but the puzzle is never completed.

Hang in there texan fans.

29. ***cowboysspurs88 says: Nov 17, 2013 7:55 PM

If Dez did this he would be crucified, but when Dre does it it’s no big deal. Not trying to hate because I really do love Dre, and he’s a very classy guy, but I just don’t understand the double standard.***

No double standard. Andre has been a 100% team guy for most of his 11 years with the Texans. Dez has been in the league 4 years. Andre’s non-football legal issues have consisted of his baby-mama asking for more court-ordered child support and $millions, personally, for “emotional distress”. Dez, on the other hand, has embarrassed the Cowboys numerous times, and at one point was on such a short leash that the Cowboys were basically taking him to the bathroom. (One might argue that the Cowboys GM is equally embarrassing, but that’s another discussion.)

Wideouts like the opportunity to do something with the ball. Here are Andre’s longest receptions this year by game:

Games 1-6 (Schaub) 27, 16, 12, 17, 19, 19 – No TD’s during this time
    Games 7-10 (Keenum) 42, 62 (3 TD), 14 (2), 34 – 5 TD’s

As a Texans fan, I found his collective comments after the switch to be quite revealing, showing that maybe the team didn’t really have as much confidence in Schaub as previously thought, or that he welcomed the switch. More than that, though, his comments in the locker room following Keenum’s promotion to starter have shown that he’s having fun again playing football.

If Dez can keep his nose clean and have the same longevity without a noticeable drop in skills, he’ll be able to say pretty much whatever he wants (see “Reed, Ed”) without fear of reprisal.

30. detectivejimmymcnulty says:
    Nov 17, 2013 7:55 PM
    —–
    In Kubiak’s defense he was just coming off a stroke. So maybe he wasn’t in his right frame of mind.

31. harrisonhits2 says: Nov 17, 2013 8:12 PM

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As a Texans fan, I had no problem with it. In fact, I thought it was probably the best thing he could have done at the time.

The Raiders had the ball with less than a minute left,, and the Texans had no timeouts and no hope of getting the ball back.

On the prior 4 plays, at least Keenum might’ve been able to buy a little time and/or tried to run the ball in himself on one of the 4 goal line plays. Schaub, however, had missed wide open receivers on 4 straight plays because he was determined only to throw to Johnson, who was double-and-triple teamed. (This has been one of Schaub’s issues this year: locking in on his primary receiver without going through his other reads. Keenum has distributed the ball pretty well in general, on the other hand.) On the last play, Johnson was surrounded by 4 defenders, and it looked like he just couldn’t fight his way through them.

Looked to me that on the sideline after the play, Schaub tried to scapegoat Andre, yelling “…don’t stop on the route”, and ‘Dre, rather than flashing back to Cortland Finnegan, wisely chose to remove himself from a volatile and potentially lethal confrontation.

32. How the heck can Matt Schaub do that to Dre? We know he just puts his head down and gets the job done consistently. I guess Schaubs mad he lost his job? Didn’t see this coming.

33. Someone said Schaub is the best QB in Texans franchise history. As far as I remember, Schaub and David Carr are the only 2 QBs to be given significant playing time in Texans franchise history. Andre Johnson has been around as long as the franchise himself. I know after last years progress/success he has to be frustrated with how this year has been playing out

34. @cowboysspurs88If

—————————————————–

Shows that I think we are moving towards a post racial society, and maybe we make too much of the double standard of white players and black players. AJ is perceived way differently than a Dez, TO, or Moss. So because he’s perceived like this, we don’t make too much of this because of this perception. You’re either a class act or your not. If you’re a jerk, then you’ll be treated as such which were the receivers that I mentioned, regardless of what race they are.

35. Johnson: ‘Okay, Houston, we’ve had a problem here.’
    Houston: ‘This is Houston. Say again please.’
    Johnson: ‘Houston, we have a problem. We’ve have two lousy quarterback, lousy coaches and I’m stuck here till 2016.’

36. Andre has also been in league a lot longer and has a much better track record than dez

————————————————————

Aside from the assault on Finnegan (Which was much needed), Johnson has been an elite WR who does not cause trouble to himself, his team, or the league. He goes often unnoticed because of the lack of talent around him. Bring him to the Packers and see if he doesn’t put up more staggering numbers than Greg Jennings or any other WR on that team in the last 11 years.

37. No love for the “Trade Me Rick” joke? Screw you guys, I’m going home… before the clock strikes 0 at that!

38. Johnson has been injury prone and is on the downside of his career as Houston rebuilds and retools. They should trade him to the Redskins for a 2nd round pick and Kirk Cousins. That would at least be an interesting trade for both teams. RG3 needs another receiver and Houston needs a QB and draft picks.