Andre Johnson on staying in Houston: “I’m under contract”

Johnson Getty Images

With so much talk this week about whether a 10-year franchise quarterback wants to stay in Pittsburgh, it’s now possible that an 11-year cornerstone pass-catcher may want out of Houston.

After Sunday’s late-game verbal exchange between Texans quarterback Matt Schaub and receiver Andre Johnson, the veteran wideout exited the playing field with time remaining in the game.  (Randy Moss was once criticized heavily for doing that.)

When the game ended, Schaub and coach Gary Kubiak took the high road.  Johnson did the same regarding Schaub, but Johnson’s message regarding whether he’s happy in Houston was ominous.

“I’m under contract so I have to play my contract out,” Johnson said, via SportsRadio 610 in Houston.  “I can’t do anything about that.”

Johnson is under contract through 2016, with a base salary of $6.5 million in 2014, $10.5 million in 2015, and $11 million in 2016.  If Johnson wants out after the season, the Texans could at least entertain the possibility; the cap consequences of a trade or a release could be very relevant to any final decision.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
65 Responses to “Andre Johnson on staying in Houston: “I’m under contract””
  1. thepftpoet says: Nov 17, 2013 7:50 PM

Translation: “I really want to leave this terrible city but I can’t”

2. greg2geez says: Nov 17, 2013 7:50 PM

The man would look great in silver & black.

3. scoops1 says: Nov 17, 2013 7:52 PM

this is one Vet the Jets should trade for

4. patsfan1820 says: Nov 17, 2013 7:55 PM

Great player in the wrong place. Unfortunately for him I doubt Houston wants to get rid of him.

5. cowboysspurs88 says: Nov 17, 2013 7:55 PM

6. detectivejimmymcnulty says: Nov 17, 2013 7:55 PM

A new HC changes his tune. There is no good explination for going back to Schaub and since it pissed off AJ it’s even dumber. That was a fireable offense.

7. kd75 says: Nov 17, 2013 7:56 PM

I will give you Hakeem Nicks for Johnson straight up.

8. henryjones20 says: Nov 17, 2013 7:56 PM

scoops1- better concentrate on getting a qb first buddy! hahahahaha

9. htowntexan says: Nov 17, 2013 7:57 PM

It’s too bad, but I understand. our owner and coach are so bad. It’s a shame this city didn’t get an owner that cared.

10. broncogang says: Nov 17, 2013 7:58 PM

Yea he would really wana go to another crap team in “Silver and Black” or the only ten in the NFL who has a baseball Stadium.

11. rublestiltzkin says: Nov 17, 2013 7:59 PM

Relax, he wouldn’t be happy playing for either of those loser teams, the Jets or the Raiders. But I doubt he stays in Houston for another year

12. mrpresident2 says: Nov 17, 2013 8:01 PM

They finally get a #2 receiver, and Johnson wants out. It’s gotta be rough being a Texans fan

13. ryann252013 says: Nov 17, 2013 8:04 PM

NOBODY likes Schaub NOBODY. If the texans lose AJ because of a stupid decision Kubiak made I’ll be sick and I’m not even a Texan fan.

14. lilrob10201 says: Nov 17, 2013 8:04 PM

I am pretty sure any team in the NFL would love to have this guy on their team. He is not demanding to be off the team and Houston loves this guy,so I don’t see him go anywhere until his contract is up.

15. blackngold4life says: Nov 17, 2013 8:06 PM

Never understood paying a player more $ Deeper into his contract.He wont be worth $11m in 2016.Saying “I’m under contract” is the same as saying I shouldn’t have extended and I’m stuck for another 2 years

16. ohnoflorio says: Nov 17, 2013 8:07 PM

Real class act. Hahaha

17. papas88063 says: Nov 17, 2013 8:07 PM

greg2geez says: Nov 17, 2013 7:50 PM

The man would look great in silver & black.

-_______________________

Nobody looks Great in silver and black

18. nfl4days says: Nov 17, 2013 8:11 PM

When you get Andre to say something like that, you messed up bad. Andre has NEVER been a problem, helps the community, and is one of the classiest players in the league. Andre isn’t a young man, and he knows that. He’s tired of losing.

19. harrisonhits2 says: Nov 17, 2013 8:12 PM

Very amateur hour to leave the field like that. Another sign of the thin skin players are having these days aka Jonathan Martin.

“Oh noes, my quarterback was mean to me, screw you guys I’m going home before the game’s over.”

20. thetooloftools says: Nov 17, 2013 8:16 PM

it’s going to be all good

21. dawsonleery says: Nov 17, 2013 8:17 PM

You just never know who will be good or bad in this league. This Texans team was suppose to a Super Bowl squad and this Raiders team was suppose to be the worst in NFL history. Amazing.

22. panthers34 says: Nov 17, 2013 8:20 PM

Must be the weird zoning….

23. raiderapologist says: Nov 17, 2013 8:22 PM

broncogang says: Nov 17, 2013 7:58 PM

—————
    Bronco fans are so smart.

24. greg2geez says: Nov 17, 2013 8:25 PM

Papas88063 would look like a sissy in silver & black but a good sissy.

25. clarencewhorley says: Nov 17, 2013 8:27 PM

If your willing to drop all 3 years left to 15million total then the Genius Bill Belichik might have use for you. No receiver is worth 10 million outside of Megatron.

26. steelers88 says: Nov 17, 2013 8:27 PM

I don’t blame Johnson the Texans really never live up the their hype. They should be a playoff team but somehow they suck. As for Big Ben can we please stop talking about this, his not going anywhere.

27. easywolf says: Nov 17, 2013 8:28 PM

Why would he leave this team for a dumb organization like the jets or raiders

28. douglasgreenbriar says: Nov 17, 2013 8:29 PM

greg2geez says:
    Nov 17, 2013 7:50 PM
    The man would look great in silver & black.

———————————————–

Trading a high draft pick for Andre Johnson at this stage in his career would be sooo Oakland Raiders

29. mackcarrington says: Nov 17, 2013 8:34 PM

I don’t even know why a reporter would ask him a question like that. He’s already feeling bad after a loss, and then you get in his face and start grilling him about wether he wants to stay in town? Why put the guy in that position?
    Well, I already know the answer. It’s what reporters do. Stir the nest. Rake the muck. Scramble the eggs. Cause trouble. Can’t some of these guys find a more respectable job?

30. willnit says: Nov 17, 2013 8:36 PM

Wouldn’t mind him in Detroit. He’d be a great #2 next to Calvin.

31. greg2geez says: Nov 17, 2013 8:40 PM

Douglassgreenbriar meant to say trading away a high pick for an underperforming player would be so colts.

32. sdffa11 says: Nov 17, 2013 8:41 PM

cowboysspurs88 says:
    Nov 17, 2013 7:55 PM

its because everyone hates the cowboys.

33. dualprime says: Nov 17, 2013 8:45 PM

Andre was having fun catching long balls from a Case. Schaub comes in and misses Andre wide open twice (not on the last drive). He’s as frustrated as the fans. Kubiak has lost the team.

34. douglasgreenbriar says: Nov 17, 2013 8:47 PM

@greg2geez:

No, I meant it would be like the times they traded picks for Carson Palmer, Randy Moss, Richard Seymour, or Warren Sapp just to name a few.

35. ballboy48 says: Nov 17, 2013 8:51 PM

He and Josh Gordon would be a great tandem in Cleveland.

36. vusnu says: Nov 17, 2013 8:53 PM

Great player, but he’s 32 and heading toward the downside of his career. No way I’d invest too much in a trade for this guy if I were GM of an NFL team.

37. egomaniac247 says: Nov 17, 2013 9:00 PM

For those saying he’s upset about Keenum, who do you think threw Andre all of those td passes during his career?

Schaub has had a bad year but hes had a very consistent career in Houston. Hes easily their best Qb in franchise history.

Not saying Keenum shoulda been benched but I doubt Andre hates Schaub

38. seatownballers says: Nov 17, 2013 9:02 PM

Would Houston take 2 2nd round picks? Same as Marshall deal

39. vikesindividual says: Nov 17, 2013 9:06 PM

WAIT. READ THIS.

i wanted to see if that would get any of you to read this. i’m a vikings fan but a huge andre johnson fan. he’s been on my fantasy team at least the last 4 of 5 years. i can’t imagine how amazing his career would have been with great QB’s. i kinda like the texans but think he got screwed with sub-par QB’s.

Hall of Fame talent, easily.

40. vmannj says: Nov 17, 2013 9:35 PM

Let’s go ahead and give him the week-long immature/selfish Dez Bryant treatment.

41. rajbais says: Nov 17, 2013 10:22 PM

Randy Moss only got criticized because people didn’t like him and his public actions made him look unlikable.

Criticism on on-field demeanor and how one carries himself should be banned.

All it does is show that the media is filled with little boys crying wolf when they try to deflect political habits when they clearly act too political to be viewed as objective.

Just because Andre Johnson “carries himself well” in front of the public it doesn’t mean he’s not T.O. or the antithesis of a “bad guy,” jerk,” or “clown.” It shows me that the media’s willingness to fall for possibly phony acts and conclude about people’s characters for who they are in public is all based on gullibility.

If I want characteristics to be summarized in this manner I am better off having five year olds working in the media. They believe in unicorns and, evidently, the media does too.

42. bgday91 says: Nov 17, 2013 10:34 PM

————————————————————
    Andre has also been in league a lot longer and has a much better track record than dez

43. htowntexansred says: Nov 17, 2013 11:33 PM

I’m a Texans fan and I don’t blame Andre if he really wants out of this franchise! But, if front office do entertain trading Andre next offseason, New England would be the prefect spot for him. Johnson wants a ring before he retires, and he’s not settling for nothing less.

New England is hurting at WR this year, but their managing cause they have one of the elite future Hall of Fame QB’s in the league, Tom Brady. Do you actually think Bill Bilcheck and Brady going to turn down another future Hall of Fame player in Andre Johnson!? I don’t think so.

Imagine, Brady & Johnson connecting for a TD!? Can we say New England Super Bowl!?

44. bulldogx86 says: Nov 17, 2013 11:37 PM

That was only part of the quote….”I’ve always said this this is where I wanted to be, so I don’t really have anything to say about that,” he said. “I still have an ongoing contract.”

45. rationalthinker82 says: Nov 17, 2013 11:58 PM

He definitely wants out and I can’t blame him. I don’t know what’s going on there, but he deserves to be part of a winning team.

46. somekat says: Nov 18, 2013 12:18 AM

As much as I like Johnson, and he would look great on most rosters (For example, him with DeSean Jackson on the other side would be sick), but I doubt they trade him. Even if he’s not really happy, I don’t see how they get any return on him. That’s a big base salary in those last 2 years.

Sure, the team that trades him can release him after 2014 without a cap hit (that will go to Houston when they move him, another roadblock), but then they are trading for a guy they only intend to keep for a year, so how much would they give up?

If they are willing to take a late 4th or 5th, I could see him being dealt (depending on the cap ramifications), if they want anything more, I think they’ll find the market empty

47. stephenolszewski says: Nov 18, 2013 12:43 AM

Andre deserves to be on a championship contender one day he’s one athlete I will root for no matter what team he’s on

48. beaumustang says: Nov 18, 2013 12:45 AM

Let him go Texans, come to Brady Dre. He will get you a ring.

GO PATS

49. harshedmellow says: Nov 18, 2013 12:56 AM

As if the ’15 and ’16 years on his contract have ANY chance of being paid out… they’ll renegotiate under threat of cutting him. Anyway.

50. FlashPatterson says: Nov 18, 2013 1:03 AM

blackngold4life says:
    Nov 17, 2013 8:06 PM
    ————————————–
    That’s precisely why they do it. The big money starts coming when the player starts declining. That way the team can get his best years on the cheap and dump him when the pay outweighs the production.

51. strongmackn says: Nov 18, 2013 1:36 AM

Ive had a fantasy crush on andre johnson for close to a decade but I didnt draft him this year and I could have.

Matt Schaub is a half way decent qb but hes more of a game manager type. Who hasnt been able to manage games this year.

Gary kubiak isnt the worst coach either. His system is somewhat vanilla and predictable though. Some playcalling has even been suspect. Like the 4th and 1 call against seattle where they called a bootleg.

Im a hawks fan but I like the texans team. Johnson has always been a stud and they have many other stud players too. Kick butt uniforms. Id imagine if I was a texans fan id be pretty frustrated to see the talent year in and out but the puzzle is never completed.

Hang in there texan fans.

52. crise40g says: Nov 18, 2013 2:54 AM

‘Dre, if you can’t beat’em, join’em.

Win, lose, or tie…Raiders til I die.

53. golfdaddy1961 says: Nov 18, 2013 5:41 AM

***cowboysspurs88 says: Nov 17, 2013 7:55 PM

If Dez did this he would be crucified, but when Dre does it it’s no big deal. Not trying to hate because I really do love Dre, and he’s a very classy guy, but I just don’t understand the double standard.***

No double standard. Andre has been a 100% team guy for most of his 11 years with the Texans. Dez has been in the league 4 years. Andre’s non-football legal issues have consisted of his baby-mama asking for more court-ordered child support and $millions, personally, for “emotional distress”. Dez, on the other hand, has embarrassed the Cowboys numerous times, and at one point was on such a short leash that the Cowboys were basically taking him to the bathroom. (One might argue that the Cowboys GM is equally embarrassing, but that’s another discussion.)

Wideouts like the opportunity to do something with the ball. Here are Andre’s longest receptions this year by game:

Games 1-6 (Schaub) 27, 16, 12, 17, 19, 19 – No TD’s during this time
    Games 7-10 (Keenum) 42, 62 (3 TD), 14 (2), 34 – 5 TD’s

As a Texans fan, I found his collective comments after the switch to be quite revealing, showing that maybe the team didn’t really have as much confidence in Schaub as previously thought, or that he welcomed the switch. More than that, though, his comments in the locker room following Keenum’s promotion to starter have shown that he’s having fun again playing football.

If Dez can keep his nose clean and have the same longevity without a noticeable drop in skills, he’ll be able to say pretty much whatever he wants (see “Reed, Ed”) without fear of reprisal.

54. 6thsense79 says: Nov 18, 2013 5:55 AM

detectivejimmymcnulty says:
    Nov 17, 2013 7:55 PM
    —–
    In Kubiak’s defense he was just coming off a stroke. So maybe he wasn’t in his right frame of mind.

55. golfdaddy1961 says: Nov 18, 2013 6:10 AM

harrisonhits2 says: Nov 17, 2013 8:12 PM

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As a Texans fan, I had no problem with it. In fact, I thought it was probably the best thing he could have done at the time.

The Raiders had the ball with less than a minute left,, and the Texans had no timeouts and no hope of getting the ball back.

On the prior 4 plays, at least Keenum might’ve been able to buy a little time and/or tried to run the ball in himself on one of the 4 goal line plays. Schaub, however, had missed wide open receivers on 4 straight plays because he was determined only to throw to Johnson, who was double-and-triple teamed. (This has been one of Schaub’s issues this year: locking in on his primary receiver without going through his other reads. Keenum has distributed the ball pretty well in general, on the other hand.) On the last play, Johnson was surrounded by 4 defenders, and it looked like he just couldn’t fight his way through them.

Looked to me that on the sideline after the play, Schaub tried to scapegoat Andre, yelling “…don’t stop on the route”, and ‘Dre, rather than flashing back to Cortland Finnegan, wisely chose to remove himself from a volatile and potentially lethal confrontation.

56. bengalskuta82 says: Nov 18, 2013 6:37 AM

How the heck can Matt Schaub do that to Dre? We know he just puts his head down and gets the job done consistently. I guess Schaubs mad he lost his job? Didn’t see this coming.

57. annes22 says: Nov 18, 2013 7:15 AM

Come back home to Miami quick, we want you!!

58. pfromvv says: Nov 18, 2013 7:57 AM

Someone said Schaub is the best QB in Texans franchise history. As far as I remember, Schaub and David Carr are the only 2 QBs to be given significant playing time in Texans franchise history. Andre Johnson has been around as long as the franchise himself. I know after last years progress/success he has to be frustrated with how this year has been playing out

59. savojah says: Nov 18, 2013 8:26 AM

@cowboysspurs88If

—————————————————–

Shows that I think we are moving towards a post racial society, and maybe we make too much of the double standard of white players and black players. AJ is perceived way differently than a Dez, TO, or Moss. So because he’s perceived like this, we don’t make too much of this because of this perception. You’re either a class act or your not. If you’re a jerk, then you’ll be treated as such which were the receivers that I mentioned, regardless of what race they are.

60. touchdownroddywhite says: Nov 18, 2013 8:26 AM

Time for a “Trade Me Rick” sticker on the shoes?? O.o

61. henryd3rd says: Nov 18, 2013 8:31 AM

Johnson: ‘Okay, Houston, we’ve had a problem here.’
    Houston: ‘This is Houston. Say again please.’
    Johnson: ‘Houston, we have a problem. We’ve have two lousy quarterback, lousy coaches and I’m stuck here till 2016.’

62. doubledee88 says: Nov 18, 2013 9:01 AM

————————————————————

Aside from the assault on Finnegan (Which was much needed), Johnson has been an elite WR who does not cause trouble to himself, his team, or the league. He goes often unnoticed because of the lack of talent around him. Bring him to the Packers and see if he doesn’t put up more staggering numbers than Greg Jennings or any other WR on that team in the last 11 years.

63. 8to80texansblog says: Nov 18, 2013 10:49 AM

I just can’t imagine Dre in another jersey….

But then I doubt Packers fans could ever imagine Favre in a Vikings jersey.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit…..

64. touchdownroddywhite says: Nov 18, 2013 3:02 PM

No love for the “Trade Me Rick” joke? Screw you guys, I’m going home… before the clock strikes 0 at that!

65. internetcareer says: Feb 15, 2014 7:56 PM

Johnson has been injury prone and is on the downside of his career as Houston rebuilds and retools. They should trade him to the Redskins for a 2nd round pick and Kirk Cousins. That would at least be an interesting trade for both teams. RG3 needs another receiver and Houston needs a QB and draft picks.