Favre would be leery of letting a son play football

Brett Favre AP

One of the most common questions for current and former football players has become whether they’d let their sons play football.

Even if, you know, they don’t have sons.

Former NFL quarterback Brett Favre has joined the ranks of football players who have opined about whether they’d let sons they don’t have play football, in an interview with Today that debuts on Monday.

I would be real leery of him playing,” Favre tells Matt Lauer.  “In some respects, I’m almost glad I don’t have a son because of the pressures he would face.  Also the physical toll that it could possibly take on him, not to mention if he never made it, he’s gonna be a failure in everyone’s eyes.  But more the physical toll that it could take.”

In other words, Favre realizes his son would be expected to play like the sons of Archie Manning — with the possibilty that he’d play more like the sons of Joe Montana.  And that’s clearly part of Favre’s concern.

The physical side of it applies as well, like it has for thousands of parents who actually have, you know, sons.  And every parent eventually has to make the decision about when and if their sons will play football, if their sons want to play football.

Like so many other things our children want to do, the final analysis is far more important than what the parents want them to do.  I don’t want my son to drive a car, but he does.  I don’t want my son to ride in a car being driven by one of his friends, but he does.

I definitely don’t want him to ever ride a motorcycle.  And, fortunately, he has yet to show any hint of wanting to.

I don’t want my son to do anything that makes me worry about him, but short of putting him in a plastic bubble there are certain risks that are taken as part of life.  Mrs. PFT and I have decided that the benefits of playing football still outweigh those risks.

It’s a decision that each parent has to make.  And it’s a decision that only becomes relevant when a parent has a child who wants to play football.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Favre would be leery of letting a son play football”
  1. doctorrustbelt says: Nov 17, 2013 12:16 AM

2032.

Soccer will be America’s #1 sport.

Just the facts…. NOT cheering for it.

2. doctorrustbelt says: Nov 17, 2013 12:22 AM

All it takes one giant under the table multi-corporate donation to FIFA and the referees will usher the U.S. into the World Cup finals (once they have a consistently TOP 15 team) and the hype will filter down to the children.

The NFL is jamming… but… London proves the NFL is scared.

Why no NFL Mexico?!?
    ANSWER: Nobody south of Texas wants to watch NFL

3. h3min1230 says: Nov 17, 2013 12:24 AM

Go away, old man.

4. tfbuckfutter says: Nov 17, 2013 12:38 AM

So hypothetically Brett Favre wouldn’t let his imaginary son play football because of the pressure his potential son might face as well as the physical toll the sport would take on his fantasy son? What about the girls his pretend son would be sending weiner pics to? Would their fake breasts be ridiculously huge?

5. mshawn75 says: Nov 17, 2013 12:39 AM

Please, Green Bay, retire his number. NFL put him in the Hall of Fame early. Get this over with so that no one will ask him about anything. Just make him go away.

6. fan70 says: Nov 17, 2013 1:00 AM

He just answered a question that was asked of him, LIGHTEN UP!

7. doctorrustbelt says: Nov 17, 2013 1:03 AM

Retiring his number will just encourage him.

8. allday420ap says: Nov 17, 2013 2:16 AM

Nice, the silver fox is taking a puff of the dank in that picture. Maybe a bump?

9. jimmysee says: Nov 17, 2013 3:20 AM

Brett’s made so much ca$h playing football that the next 5 or so generations of Favres do not have to entertain the thought.

If they live modestly and do not become trust fund dandies.

10. jrod2go says: Nov 17, 2013 3:32 AM

I’d be leery of flying my G5 to the moon too. *DISCLAIMER: I do not own a G5*

11. whatjusthapped says: Nov 17, 2013 7:32 AM

Its too bad Brett never had a son, my prediction is Minnesota will still be looking for a QB in 2023 so Brett Jr. could step up and rake in some serious coin, whether he could play or not, just like his father.

12. primenumber19 says: Nov 17, 2013 7:58 AM

Favre probably has at least one child in every nfl city.

13. allhailkingflacco says: Nov 17, 2013 7:59 AM

Love the pic and not of his schlong, the one above.

14. heymister24 says: Nov 17, 2013 8:45 AM

It is not about a son playing football, it is about the size of players he would be playing against. The son should be ok through 8th grade, but if the high school league has 250-300# pounders, forgedda bout it. Years ago, a 220# was usually the biggest player, not anymore. A parent’s good judgement is needed now.

15. mackcarrington says: Nov 17, 2013 1:36 PM

But he wouldn’t mind his daughters playing soccer and constantly letting a soccer ball bounce off of their brains.

16. GenXJay says: Nov 17, 2013 2:34 PM

Lord Favre is talking about all the brainwashing done in cheesebay. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Especially family.

17. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Nov 17, 2013 3:05 PM

Favre didn’t have much going on between his ears anyway. Hey it is what it is. But if someone has a bright son, he should seriously consider other sports other than football.

18. jrod2go says: Nov 17, 2013 4:08 PM

And I would be leery of flying my G5 to the moon…except I don’t own a G5.

19. jrod2go says: Nov 17, 2013 4:12 PM

And I would be leery of letting my kids ride my horses…except I don’t have any kids or horses.