NFL to flex more games between networks next season

d57adb4e82e1388a10178dcd35168a24 AP

The Chiefs and Broncos will be playing on Sunday night instead of Sunday afternoon because of the league’s rules regarding flexing games into prime time in order to maximize the television audience for the best matchups.

There will be more flexing to come in 2014. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the league will institute a new system of cross flexing games between networks. A game that was scheduled for an regional slot on CBS could be moved to a late afternoon national spot on FOX under the new system. That would have been an option with the Chiefs and Broncos this week as they were slated to play on a regional telecast and the only way to get the game on more screens was to move it to Sunday night.

Schefter reports that the network losing the game would get another one to replace it, but that the details on just how everything will work are still being hammered out.

It may not be the only change. In 2011, Roger Goodell said that the league would look into starting flex scheduling earlier in the season when the new television contracts went into effect in 2014.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “NFL to flex more games between networks next season”
  1. beardinals says: Nov 17, 2013 11:35 AM

STILL need to put more quality games in Primetime/Monday, much earlier in the season.

2. epmckenna says: Nov 17, 2013 11:42 AM

An AFC game on Fox?! Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

3. gbfb88 says: Nov 17, 2013 11:48 AM

4. 12thmanseattle says: Nov 17, 2013 11:50 AM

Best decision Goodell has made so far. They should start at week 7

5. NoHomeTeam says: Nov 17, 2013 1:07 PM

gbfb88 says: “The NFL needs to make all games flexible. Don’t create start times for the games until two weeks before. As a matter of fact, why not wait until two days before kickoff to announce match ups. Let’s make things as difficult as we can for fans from out of town to plan to attend games.

****

Yes, this.

The League’s official position is that it needs to “everything it can” to get people into the stands, and then it creates obstacles to attendance.

Let’s say I’ve flown into Denver on Saturday for the Chiefs game, with the expectation that I’ll catch a late flight out of DEN on Sunday night so that I can be back at work on Monday morning. Now I’m the one getting “flexed.”

Coming soon: “Flex Game Insurance” through your NFL-Branded Visa card?

6. afcdomination says: Nov 17, 2013 1:59 PM

yep. flex them all, and we can’t travel to them. I often like to attend games earlier in the year to avoid this from happening to me, as I have to return to work Monday, and take a late flight on sunday night. this would not only kill me in terms of the ticket I already bought, but creates a lot of cancelling and such. say you flex a game the week of, who is to say the airline doesn’t have a cancellation policy in place? so I am also paying more money to not attend the game.

7. mackcarrington says: Nov 17, 2013 2:34 PM

Goodell reminds me of that busybody neighbor. The one who is taking out garbage cans at 3 in the morning, and does laundry 4 times a day 5 times a week. Cuts the grass and runs the leaf blower every day of the week. Goes shopping 5 times a day. Rearranges furniture once a week. Paints the house every 2 months. Just cant sit still for a minute and leave well enough alone.

8. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Nov 17, 2013 3:00 PM

MNF needs help. The games tend to suck while Sunday night games tend to be very good. Thursday night games are usually “who cares” games.

9. ukedad says: Nov 17, 2013 3:57 PM

So Roger you saying I need to cancel my season tickets and just watch on tv. Got it.