Public report in Martin case could include information from unnamed witnesses

Wells Getty Images

The NFL’s commitment to sharing the report of Ted Wells’ Dolphins investigation with the public could force Wells to get creative in order to get people to talk privately.

The league’s vow to disclose the outcome publicly has created concerns regarding the willingness of witnesses to tell all that they know, for fear of being outed as people who betrayed co-workers and/or violated the supposed code of the locker room.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Wells could strike the balance between the inevitable release of information and the importance of coaxing the facts from reluctant witnesses by agreeing not to identify the witnesses who provided certain information.

While this could be the only way to get the information from the witnesses, it will make it harder for the public and the media to properly scrutinize the evidence on which Wells makes any specific conclusions or recommendations.

As a result, in a case where it’s alreadly impossible to know what happened, it ultimately will be impossible to understand precisely how Wells comes to know what he ultimately believes he knows.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
14 Responses to “Public report in Martin case could include information from unnamed witnesses”
  1. citiciti says: Nov 17, 2013 7:36 PM

Bull!!

2. buffalotexan says: Nov 17, 2013 7:40 PM

Unnamed witnesses? Please do, lets make it more of a circus!!!

3. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 17, 2013 7:42 PM

Oh I’m sure the public will just eat this report up and find all kind of value in it. I hope Ted Wells has experience working as a magician. As a member of the public I just don’t feel very hopeful that this report is going to be adequate, or comprehensive, or fair, or efficient at furthering justice. I’m not really sure what the point of this report is, I mean I understand the politics and appearances aspect of things, but well maybe Ted Wells can help us with that once he’s done with the report, if it even makes sense to call it a report. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what’s in it.

4. annes22 says: Nov 17, 2013 7:43 PM

For god sake get it over and done with, and stop messing about. It’s getting very boring listening to all the “knowalls” who actually don’t know anything yet. Why unnamed witnesses??? Name everyone, who cares, you are talking about a locker room I thought???

5. finsguy says: Nov 17, 2013 7:47 PM

Gee, I’m sure Incognito would have preferred to remain “Incognito” about who said what at least until the investigaton was complete. He must not have known that was an option.

6. mackcarrington says: Nov 17, 2013 7:57 PM

I’m sure they’ll make copies of the report for everyone who has a hamster cage, a bird cage, or a dog house that needs papering.

7. sweetnlow44 says: Nov 17, 2013 8:05 PM

It’s Sunday. There’s plenty of football things to talk about. Can we just leave this story alone for a while?

8. doggeatdogg says: Nov 17, 2013 8:06 PM

Move over ladies. You no longer have a monopoly on divaness and drama queening. This is worse than Basketball Wives and The Real Housewives of Miami and every other NFL town.

9. frank booth says: Nov 17, 2013 9:41 PM

thestrategyexpert says: Nov 17, 2013 7:42 PM

==================================
    You could have saved yourself a bunch of words and just written that last sentence.

10. mickton says: Nov 17, 2013 10:13 PM

In named witnesses = people who make it up as they go along

11. catskinnerd11r says: Nov 17, 2013 10:21 PM

You know how sad this story is getting when Colin Cowherd compared Incognito to O.J. ESPN the TMZ of sports

12. wryly1 says: Nov 17, 2013 10:50 PM

In other words, there are other spineless organisms in Dolphins locker room who are still intimated by Incognito and choose to remain hiding under a rock.

13. therealraider says: Nov 17, 2013 11:01 PM

No, If you are going to testify against somebody, you damn well better be willing to put your name on it.

14. hauts81 says: Nov 17, 2013 11:23 PM

In a perfect world these witnesses wouldn’t have to worry about being outed for talking about abhorrent behavior. But this is the NFL.