Hartley repays Saints for their show of faith in him

Garrett Hartley AP

The Saints have trusted Garrett Hartley, but they let him know last week it wasn’t unconditional.

But he paid back their faith Sunday, hitting the game-tying and game-winning field goals in the final minutes to lead the Saints to a win over the 49ers.

Not bad for a guy who was almost replaced, after the Saints brought in kickers for tryouts last week.

“I would definitely say [this past week] tested me,” Hartley said, via Mike Triplett of ESPN.com. “And it was time to show everyone, I guess, how thick my skin is.”

Pretty thick, apparently.

Hartley had missed four of his previous six field goals, but hit the late kicks when they counted the most. He’s been through similar slumps, but rebounded in 2009 during their Super Bowl, including the game-winning kick in the NFC Championship Game.

Because of that, he earned his trust.

“I told him that we believe in you and that you are our guy. We all did,” Saints quarterback Drew Brees said. “Garrett has had his ups and downs throughout his career, but he has made a lot of big kicks for us. I think that is just the life of a kicker.”

So now he’s safe, at least until the next slump causes them to question him again.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Hartley repays Saints for their show of faith in him”
  1. tincansailor981 says: Nov 18, 2013 9:52 AM

I wouldn’t get too comfortable.

2. cornerstone2001 says: Nov 18, 2013 10:09 AM

49ers screwed twice now in the Superdome.
    Brees hit was COMPLETELY legal hit in the CHEST. It does not matter that he fell back and
    touched his neck.

I thought the non-calls of defensive holding
    in the Superbowl were bad………

3. 87hollywoodhorn says: Nov 18, 2013 10:21 AM

Whodat! 49ers are crybabies and arent going to win a superbowl with this bunch. I’d say see u in the playoffs, but it looks like yall will be left out!

4. halen11 says: Nov 18, 2013 10:22 AM

Hartley is consistently clutch. Just not consistently reliable.

5. halbert53 says: Nov 18, 2013 10:50 AM

Saints had nearly twice the first downs and about 200 more yards of offense. Saints also had two more turnovers. When you win the turnover battle a good team will win. SF had a 2 turnover advantage that cost Saints a TD and gave SF a TD. This game wasn’t as close as the score makes you think. And whiners want to blame the loss on a correctly called penalty?

6. mrlaloosh says: Nov 18, 2013 11:26 AM

I hear the Santa Clara 49ers are adding to their new stadium a very large wing called the Whiners Hall of Excuses. I hope it’s big enough. WHO DAT? WE DAT!!!!

7. flexx91 says: Nov 18, 2013 11:38 AM

Gave them 17 points off three turnovers, two of which were unforced and they’re blaming the loss solely on the refs.

8. nowillrepeat says: Nov 18, 2013 12:19 PM

Hartley must have taken his adderall yesterday

9. dirtydrew says: Nov 18, 2013 12:35 PM

Who did the Saints repay for the BS personal foul on what was a sack fumble. Saints were given a gift win.

10. saintswin says: Nov 18, 2013 1:26 PM

Forty Whiners …Honey Badger are you listening to all these crybabies …Break the Camels Back!

11. seattlelibtard says: Nov 18, 2013 1:53 PM

49er’s D needs to take into account that Brees is short. If he were an average size QB, the hit would have been clean. From where the ref was standing (behind Brees) he had no choice but to call that penalty. This is today’s nfl, and the QB is king.

12. ilovefoolsball says: Nov 18, 2013 2:54 PM

Man I had no idea that the 49ers were such crybabies!

We’re going to need a fleet of WAAAHHHHmbulances and truckloads of tiny violins for them to get over this one!

13. johnclaytonsponytail says: Nov 18, 2013 3:43 PM

Russell Wilson is the same size as Brees. JS

14. sb44champs says: Nov 18, 2013 4:04 PM

flexx91 says:
    Nov 18, 2013 11:38 AM
    ===========================
    Couldn’t have said it better myself!!