Just another day at the office for efficient Nick Foles

Washington Redskins v Philadelphia Eagles Getty Images

It might not have made for an impressive fantasy football line, but Nick Foles continued to do the things that could make him the reality quarterback for the Eagles for some time to come.

He didn’t throw a touchdown pass in Sunday’s win over the Redskins, but he extended his streak of passes without an interception to 199, the latest in a string of hyper-efficient performances.

“I think the big thing this offseason that I really wanted to work on was decision making and being smart with the football,” Foles said, via Reuben Frank of CSNPhilly.com. “Because you watch a lot of the guys who are the top guys in this league, Peyton, Drew [Brees], Aaron [Rodgers], some great guys out there, Tom [Brady], that are really good at decision making. They will take shots when they can, but if they have something open short they are going to take it and they are smart with the football, and you don’t want to put the football in harm’s way because if the other team gets an interception or fumble, not only is that their ball but, it’s different than a punt. It’s a momentum change.

“That’s something that I really worked on and didn’t do a great job [of] in the preseason, but I knew that I would continue to work on it. It’s something you have to work on it every week. That’s preparation. That’s understanding the defense that you are seeing and knowing where to go with the football.”

Foles hasn’t thrown a pick this year, and has just two interceptions in his last 349 pass attempts. His 128.0 passer rating is the highest in the league.

That kind of clean play is the reason he’s expected to hang onto the Eagles’ job once Michael Vick is well, and perhaps for a long time after that.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Just another day at the office for efficient Nick Foles”
  1. kolbe213 says: Nov 18, 2013 11:06 AM

Good for him. Not only is Philly’s offense is fun to watch, but they they look like like they’re working hard all the time.

They’ve made me a fan of theirs.

2. The Shoeman says: Nov 18, 2013 11:07 AM

Chip knows football.

Foles better than RG (TOSS IT UP FOR GRABS-CHOKER) 3.

3. kastout11 says: Nov 18, 2013 11:13 AM

Not that I would follow him on Twitter anyway because he is a loser, but where are the Marcus Vick tweets on how bad a qb Foles is, or how much better Michael is than Nick. Foles was impressive again. He did not have incredible stats, but played a very efficient game again. I think the run element also gives more teams something else to worry about when facing Philly.

4. 23rdusernameused says: Nov 18, 2013 11:13 AM

“128.0 passer rating”

NICE! Keep it up Nick! Prove all the naysayers wrong!

I believe he can be a franchise QB.

5. joshuavkidd says: Nov 18, 2013 11:15 AM

Foles even out-rushed RG3… ha!

6. richardmswartz says: Nov 18, 2013 11:16 AM

I loved Foles at first in the 2012 pre-season and bascially up until a couple of weeks into the regular season 2013 and then I cooled on him. The biggest reason is not that decision making isn’t the most important aspect of a quaterback, it is but that this Kelly-Offense could probably reach heights higher with a good decision maker/running quarterback like Bridgewater or Mariota. The thing is though, Foles – his numbers can’t be aruged with at this point. In the words of Larry David to Suzy Greene after he saved her life by telling her she had Lhyme Disease but yet wasn’t thanked for it “Give it up man!”. Even if one of the other guys is better, they can’t be so much better that you mortgage the future by giving up so much when Foles is a qualtiy quarterback. This is it. Here is the Eagles starter for at least through 2014.

7. dietrich43 says: Nov 18, 2013 11:22 AM

Andy Reid must feel a little vindicated.

8. icdogg says: Nov 18, 2013 11:26 AM

You never really can tell what you have until he starts about 20 games, but I’m very bullish on Foles so far. This year he’s had 4 solid-to-outstanding starts, 1 clunker, and a strong relief appearance.

His overall numbers are crazy good, and though I think they exaggerate the actual quality of his performances, I do think they suggest a guy who possibly is on the verge of becoming a franchise quarterback.

Whether or not he realizes this goal, the Eagles would be well-advised to stick with him and give him the opportunity to be “the guy” long enough to find out for sure.

9. officialgame says: Nov 18, 2013 11:28 AM

I like Foles and he has done a great job but he isn’t the prototypical Chip Kelly QB. I still think the Eagles draft a QB and let the two of them battle it out. A really ballsy move would be to trade Foles to a team that runs a West Coast where he fits perfectly. Trading Foles could really come back to them because he is dam good.

10. rkt4mayor says: Nov 18, 2013 11:34 AM

Who cares about “prototypical” anything?
    All of these fans always bagged on Andy Reid claiming he was too stubborn to adjust his offensive schemes to his personnel.
    Now that we have a world class Quarterback who has the size, smarts, and all of the intangibles you look for in an NFL Quarterback, these very same fans whine that he isn’t “prototypical” to Chip Kelly’s scheme?
    Give Me A Break!

11. myeaglescantwin says: Nov 18, 2013 11:35 AM

This team has too many holes to even consider a trade to move into the top 5 for a QB.

Build this team, let foles manage the games and progress. This is only his second year, and I have seen great things.
    We can’t go ahead and label him the franchise QB, but we can understand this kid has enough talent and enough brains to give the Eagles a chance to turn the franchise around.

all the eagles fans that go from
    “cut him” to “super bowl” each week need to relax.
    This is a rebuilding year, and it is working out better than anyone could have anticipated. But this squad is definitely not at the top of the heap yet.

12. rkt4mayor says: Nov 18, 2013 11:40 AM

Other than Steve Young, (who let’s face it was not much of a running threat by 1994-95), name one rushing QB who has led his team to a Super Bowl win?
    Name one!
    If you can’t and you claim your goal is to win the Super Bowl than why are you complaining about Nick Foles?
    Highest QB rating in the league not good enough for you?
    You’d rather have an unproven rookie who has a bum knee in college?

13. sc711 says: Nov 18, 2013 11:40 AM

Nick Foles….king of the 9 route.

Kid is very solid at a young age.

Good for him.

14. TheRealLogicalVoice says: Nov 18, 2013 11:42 AM

officialgame says: Nov 18, 2013 11:28 AM

———————————————————

Do you watch foobtall? Vick is “the prototypical Chip Kelly QB” and he was nowhere near as efficient as Foles has been. I would’ve been there with you but the way he has played proved that theory wrong 2 weeks ago.

15. myeaglescantwin says: Nov 18, 2013 11:44 AM

before everyone jumps into “Andy Reid” this and that.

Andy lost power over the draft two years ago.
    The players from the prior two drafts, Foles, Boykin, Cox, Kendricks, Logan,
    were all under Howie Roseman.

If anything, you should say
    “they are playing well, despite Andy reid’s drafting”

(LeSean / DeSean excluded)

16. icdogg says: Nov 18, 2013 11:54 AM

The Eagles are 6-5 and while we don’t know where they re going to finish in the standings, it seems unlikely that they will be in an position to get Bridgewater or Mariota, and maybe not Manziel either.

So I’m not sure this draft decision won’t already have been made for them.

The other thing that I can’t help thinking about is the way San Diego traded away Drew Brees to make room for Phillip Rivers. Was that really worth doing? Would they have been better off keeping Brees and upgrading somewhere else, maybe even a trade down, especially since Eli forced his way out of there?

17. buckshowalter says: Nov 18, 2013 11:58 AM

Bear Down

18. vegasdestroyer says: Nov 18, 2013 12:08 PM

Foles may be the guy on third and long but on fourth and inches the Eagles keep coming up short. Sub Smith in the Wildcat instead.

19. arwiv says: Nov 18, 2013 12:09 PM

Im a Giants fan…..and Nick Foles is currently, by a decent margin over Romo, the best QB in the NFC East. Im hoping, obviously as a Giants fan, that the league catches on to him soon. If not, the Eagles should win this division.

20. phelbin says: Nov 18, 2013 12:10 PM

Foles ran the read-option pretty successfully in college, and behind a mediocre o-line. He didn’t come up in a west coast pro-style system. So I still don’t get why anyone would say he’s wrong for Chip Kelly’s system. He’s running Chip’s offense better than Michael Vick. Way better.

I wouldn’t call Foles mobile. But he reads defenses, and clearly he knows the system better than Vick. So who cares that Vick can rush for a bajillion yards.

21. amanistumor says: Nov 18, 2013 12:10 PM

The Shoeman says: Nov 18, 2013 11:07 AM

Chip knows football.

——————————————————

I’m not so sure I’d agree with this statement… Chip knows offense but he still seems to be lacking in the Head Coaching department.

As we see again.. he misses out on multiple chances to challenge plays and fails to keep his foot on the throttle.

Say what you want, but if R.G.Me didn’t play so bad they would have definitely come back and tied and/or won that game. The entire fourth quarter by the Eagles O was predictable down to the weak runs lead by Foles. Good teams won’t let Kelly get away with this.

22. nyeagles10 says: Nov 18, 2013 12:12 PM

alright eagles fans. its time to get use to a non mobile pocket passing QB… at first I was a little nervous without Vick. but foles is a smart QB who will be good for many years

23. The Shoeman says: Nov 18, 2013 12:33 PM

Chip knows football.
    I’m not so sure I’d agree with this statement…

———————————————————————-
    You don’t see the BIG Picture.
    A rookie-coach,with NO NFL experience in 1st place.

Sure . . does he have everything clicking . . no!
    But then again . . these players aren’t his, he took a wreck-of-a-team, that won 4 games in 2012.

With virtually the same team in 1st place.
    the little mis-cues will be corrected in time.

You think he doesn’t know , , what casual-fans know ?

jeez

24. alewatcher says: Nov 18, 2013 12:47 PM

And that’s the difference between Vick and Foles – Foles put in the time to learn how to read defenses. Vick hasn’t. He’s always been a physical QB, but that only takes you so far.

25. ningenito78 says: Nov 18, 2013 12:47 PM

If Chip Kelly can get a QB that fits his style better in the draft (Mariotta, Manziel) and can flip Foles into a 1st round pick plus…that’s how the Eagles will get to where they want to be.

26. zeusdagod says: Nov 18, 2013 1:07 PM

I don’t get why everyone is looking past Foles. He’s in his second year, he’s running a high octane offense and he’s running it relatively easy, he’s making sound decisions during the game, what more do you want? I, for one don’t want flash, I want substance. And Foles provides that long awaited substance that this team needs under center. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, from the moment he took his first snap for us, I felt more comfortable in his ability to lead this team than I ever did in Kevin Kolb. And I doubt I’ll get any disagreement on that.

27. rugbyisbetter says: Nov 18, 2013 1:08 PM

I also like Foles as the QB as well. But as an Eagle Fan I temper the wins he has had. The Redskins are the only team Foles has started and beaten that had the combo of a previous year’s returning coach and starting QB.
    That being said, he has done it brilliantly, and we cannot knock against him the opponents he has not chosen.
    Id love to see him to continue to perform like this and be the franchise QB for the next 10+ years. But, I also would not be surprised if the Eagles package him and their 2014 1st pick to move to top 5 to get the QB they want.
    They better be damn sure hes the next Peyton Manning/Tom Brady/Drew Brees if thats the sorts…. (saying in winning style, not physical size and speed) if they do so

28. Youknowimright says: Nov 18, 2013 2:21 PM

How many “eagles fans” that are in here praising him were crushing him after the dallas game? Be honest you fair weather philly fans. The kid is ok. The ints are not there but some of those long tds were up for grabs jump balls. About 4 of those td’s should have been picks. He is getting some fortunate bounces along with bad teams played makes for a nice start. He is a decent starting qb in the league. The AZ game will be his first real test. Solid corners who will be physical with djack and cooper. He’ll have to put the ball in tight windows. If he does it I’ll be a bit more of a believer, but I just don’t think he is as good as advertised. Kolb was the second coming and he was a disaster after those first few blow-up games. Let people get a book on this kid and then get back to me.

29. phelbin says: Nov 18, 2013 3:25 PM

alewatcher says:

- – - – - – -

And there’s another aspect to the physical thing too. Vick is 6 foot 215 at the most, and it’s why he’s only had one complete season. Nick Foles is 6’6″ 250 lbs. He’s bigger than “Big Ben.” And without the tendency to run after the first look isn’t open, he’s going to be a lot more durable than Vick ever was.

30. larrydavid7000 says: Nov 18, 2013 4:46 PM

Exactly what the hell did this loser do???? If I am correct this LOSER did nothing last year against The Redskins.!!! The Redskins this season has made every QB look good. He’ll The Redskins made ponder a top QB last Thr. So you Egirl fans I would not read or put a lot of stock into this coach,QB and team. Remember your team has not won a dam thing in 60 plus years.!!! Empty Trophy Case Franchies.

31. antneejay2 says: Nov 19, 2013 3:43 AM

@larrydavid7000

Is that you Vox? Off the meds again?

32. s0merand0mguy says: Nov 19, 2013 1:10 PM

larrydavid7000 says:
    Nov 18, 2013 4:46 PM

——————————————-

So basically in your biased opinion all three games Foles has won were just because he was playing weak teams right? lol….

•Foles leads the NFL with a passer rating of 128.0, is first with an average gain of 9.59 yards per passing attempt, is tops in touchdown percentage (9.9), interceptions thrown (0) and interception percentage (0.0).

•Foles has not thrown an interception in 199 pass attempts dating back to December 23, 2012, in the home-finale loss to Washington.

•Only five quarterbacks have more than the two rushing touchdowns scored by Foles, who is also averaging 4.1 yards per carry (only four quarterbacks have more yards per carry than Foles, for that matter).

•Foles has completed 74 percent of his passes during this three-game winning streak with 10 touchdown passes, zero interceptions and a passer rating of 152.8. Since 1960, only Dallas’ Craig Morton in ’69 had a higher passer rating over a three-game span.

That’s what Foles has done so far…. What do you have to say next?

33. somekat says: Nov 19, 2013 7:18 PM

Youknowimright says: Nov 18, 2013 2:21 PM

_____________________

To be fair, there was a split. There was the faction that wanted to give Foles his shot, and there was the Vick lovers that had blinders on, and were looking for any excuse to say Vick should come back in.

These same guys were around the following week talking about how “it was just one game” the following week after he put up 7 TD’s, when they were ready to bury him for one bad week

There is a difference between “fair weather” fans, and fans who believed, for whatever reason, that Vick should of been the QB.

34. somekat says: Nov 19, 2013 7:29 PM

@somerandomguy

You forgot that he tied the record or TD’s in a game, was one of 3 to do it without an INT, and was the only one to do it with more TD’s than INT’s

I’m not ready to anoint Foles the franchise QB for the next 10 years. We have 5 more games (and maybe an extension into the playoffs), that I want to see before I would make that decision.

But I will say, I wanted Foles to start from the beginning of the year. Not because of thought he was “better” than Vick, but because I knew Vick was short term, and we needed to know what we had in Foles. I thought he could be a good but not great qb in the league that could win with a really good team around him…Flacco-ish. He has played much better than I thought he would.

If Luck, or RG3 had his numbers, the media would already be talking about their destined trip to Canton