League announces Erik Walden’s one-game suspension

15cbfb2b0eff3d1c3297d7cf284bf6a7 Getty Images

On Monday morning, Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reported that Colts linebacker Erik Walden would be suspended one game for delivering a helmeted head butt to helmetless Titans tight end Delanie Walker last Thursday night.

The league confirmed Glazer’s report on Monday afternoon when the formally announced Walden’s suspension along with the one-game suspension handed down to Buccaneers safety Dashon Goldson

In the announcement, the league cited Walden’s head butt as well as the fact that he ripped Walker’s helmet off before delivering it. Both are violations of league rules and a league source told PFT after the fact that Walden should have been ejected from the game.

Colts General Manager Ryan Grigson said, via Mike Chappell of the Indianapolis Star, that Walden will appeal the suspension. Matt Birk or Ted Cottrell, the appeals officers jointly paid by the NFL and NFLPA, will hear that appeal in time for the Colts and Walden to know whether he’ll play this weekend.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “League announces Erik Walden’s one-game suspension”
  1. cajunaise says: Nov 18, 2013 6:04 PM

Colts fan here, and I have no problem with the suspension. Idiotic move by Walden, and I’m glad Walker didn’t get injured.

However, can’t complain much about the overall change in attitude defensively for this team. I wish we could remain the classiest org in the NFL through and through in the process…but I also want wins.

2. thegonz13 says: Nov 18, 2013 6:12 PM

He’s going to appeal even though there undispitable video evidence? Nice going, bonehead! Just shut up and take your punishment!

3. hansenbrothers says: Nov 18, 2013 6:14 PM

One game? Lame. Three would’ve been appropriate.

4. 540bronco says: Nov 18, 2013 6:15 PM

If I’m Walker and I hear that he only got one game I would call the cops and press chargers. No room for garbage like that in the NFL.

5. krenshaws says: Nov 18, 2013 6:16 PM

League biased strikes again. One game, what a joke.

6. richcranium2112 says: Nov 18, 2013 6:32 PM

Come on man! League knows by now they must suspend for 2-3 games to actually end up with a single game suspension.

Birk and Cottrell are the players’ union puppets who talk a tough game but decide to use a wet noodle in dishing out discipline.

I used to have respect for Birk and his integrity as a player. NFLPA and NFL are going down the drain!

7. sammyias says: Nov 18, 2013 7:12 PM

Should have been 2 games.

Is it a 1st offense? Then I guess I can see 1 game.

8. ivanpavlov0000 says: Nov 18, 2013 7:31 PM

I’m amazed this is only a one game suspension. The lack of consistency for punishments is frustrating.

9. sparky900 says: Nov 18, 2013 7:48 PM

This is it, NFL. If somehow this suspension gets overturned, you’ll have no one believing that you care at all about head injuries or players safety. And frankly NLFPA, it might be a good time for you to acknowledge that it’s not okay for one of your members to attack another. A one game suspension isn’t right, but if it’s reduced to a fine, all involved parties should be ashamed.

10. billiamsofdollars says: Nov 18, 2013 8:08 PM

Ridiculous. He already got to play that whole game he should have been kicked out of, and now they only hand him a one gamer?

11. slizzyslizz says: Nov 18, 2013 11:59 PM

I would love if/when a player appeals that a suspension is actually increased.

I.E. Walden goes from one game to two games.

Would make them think twice about an appeal over such a blatant violation.

12. tnazvol says: Nov 19, 2013 1:12 PM

And he’ll be back just in time to face Delanie Walker again…..