Pinkston: Browns “lucky to be alive” after rough landing

fasten_seat_belt_sign_on_the_back_of_a_seat_from_a_commercial_1341385260

Maybe the fact he had a life-threatening blood clot last year makes Jason Pinkston a little more sensitive.

But the Browns guard said the team was “lucky to be alive” after a rough landing on their short flight from Cincinnati Sunday night.

“It was terrifying,” Pinkston said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “It was the real thing. The weather was so bad. We were coming in to land and [the pilot] had to go kind of fast to balance it out and we came down and we hit on two wheels. The [left] wing was literally three feet from hitting the ground.

We’re actually pretty lucky to be alive right now, to be honest. We really escaped one. We got away with one last night.”

The weather was horrible across the Midwest Sunday, and the storms made the Browns prepare to bus home if need be. But after consulting with United Airlines, they were cleared to give it a shot though all commercial flights were grounded a few minutes before the Browns landed.

“I’m sure the conditions were stressful for our pilots, who did a phenomenal job,” team spokesman Zak Gilbert said. “It’s important to note that neither our team nor United Airlines would’ve given us clearance to depart if our safety was in jeopardy. The airport also gave us clearance to land.”

That didn’t keep players from being terrified.

“There were a bunch of screams,” Pinkston said. “You could hear everyone screaming on the plane. It was pretty real. I screamed, because I was sitting right over [left] wing. My window was open and I saw the whole thing.”

Others might not have had the same reaction, but Pinkston’s pretty much guaranteed an aisle seat, and perhaps the B.A. Baracus treatment on future flights.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Pinkston: Browns “lucky to be alive” after rough landing”
  1. richie13009 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:15 AM

That same thing happened to my plane when we were landing in CHI but the pilot aborted the landing and circled around and landed again…pretty scary stuff

2. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Nov 19, 2013 9:25 AM

– – – – –

A human-controlled entity granting clearance to a human-built craft, maintained by humans, quality-controlled by humans, flown by humans and utilizing human air traffic controllers — surely does translate into the safety of all on board being out of jeopardy in any instance; including this one where everyone was heard screaming on the plane.”

3. ozymandias121 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:31 AM

I’ve heard worst excuses for a loss before.

4. halfie6 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:33 AM

Landing on two wheels is usually the recommended procdure. And how does Pinkston know how fast the plane was going?

5. nonetruerthanblue says: Nov 19, 2013 9:34 AM

Can’t believe they flew in that weather.

Well done on the Mr. T reference by the way.

6. fin72 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:47 AM

Excuse me stewardess, I speak jive…

7. godofwine330 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:47 AM

They never should have flown. They should have either driven or just stayed in Cincy. That was gross negligence and it could have gotten the entire team killed. Whomever ordered the area safe enouogh to fly, whomever on the team said, “Let’s get back to Cleveland today/tonight” needs to be reprimanded. We could have had a “Marshall” situation here and it was completely avoidable. The “Big Bad Wolf” visited my house Sunday night and I lost a few shingles off of my roof.

There was no reason that the team absolutely had to be back in Cleveland Sunday night. None at all. Several people in charge put the lives of 70+ people at risk there and this day and age, with the technology and Doppler and all of that there is no excuse for it. I was on a plane that was struck by lightning in 1996 and I saw the engine in flames through my window so I know what the team went through. Somebody has some ‘splainin’ to do

8. rationalthinker82 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:57 AM

Why would they even fly to Cinci. Honestly, its 250 miles. Seems like its more of a hassle to go through flying than it would be to just hop in and drive the 3.5 hours.

9. dublindemonszfl says: Nov 19, 2013 9:59 AM

Glad you all made it, nice job Pilots!

10. natijim235 says: Nov 19, 2013 10:08 AM

Glad it worked out – too bad your head was still spinning from the beat down bengals gave you on the field

11. s0merand0mguy says: Nov 19, 2013 10:09 AM

———————

LOL imagine a team of giant football players screaming like girls on a plane. Oh I wish we had the audio….

12. pabrownsfan says: Nov 19, 2013 10:35 AM

Must have been scary to make grown men scream lol.

13. whodey1218 says: Nov 19, 2013 11:01 AM

Haha they were screaming. Browns are such wusses

14. halfie6 says: Nov 19, 2013 11:14 AM

s0merand0mguy says:Nov 19, 2013 10:09 AM

=============

Good point. Are we sure this wasn’t the Patriots?

15. footballchic777 says: Nov 19, 2013 11:44 AM

Why would you even risk it? it was a 1:00 p.m. game, and even with the drive you would have been home by 9 EASILY! Glad you are all safe, but maybe next time you err on the side of caution!

16. thegreatgabbert says: Nov 19, 2013 11:57 AM

It was a team bonding experience. All the players were screaming, hugging each other, and sobbing uncontrollably. Kind of like winning the Super Bowl, only different.

17. pjgrannan says: Nov 19, 2013 12:32 PM

First, obviously I am glad the landing was ultimately safe. But this got me wondering. What is the NFL contingency plan for going forward and restocking a team in the event there is a tragedy which wipes out a team ? Would they cancel the rest of that team’s gsames for the season or is there some plan in place so the games would go forward with new playes ? And what would the salary cap implications be ?

18. jhaegs says: Nov 19, 2013 12:33 PM

“My window was open and I saw the whole thing.”

There’s your problem! Dumb dumb rolled his window down…

19. jhaegs says: Nov 19, 2013 12:58 PM

“My window was open and I saw the whole thing.”

There’s you’re problem! Dumb dumb rolled his window down…

20. surfinbird1 says: Nov 19, 2013 1:56 PM

All those big NFL players screaming. Jonathan Martin must be laughing his ass off.

21. klumpofbrownsadness says: Nov 19, 2013 4:01 PM

While I have to admit that a plane full of football players, e.g. “manly men”, screaming during the landing is somewhat amusing, I’ve been on some very rough flights and rough landings – there’s no shame in it (especially if you don’t like flying in the 1st place) since you seem pretty sure that you’re going to die.

Why fly? Charter bus is going to make about the same time as driving, and they’ll be picking the players up right at the stadium anyway. It’s no more than a 5 hr drive from PBS to Berea, so by the time you bus to the Cincy airport (it’s in Kentucky), go thru all the security crap (I would assume this still applies even for a charter flight), then fly to Cleveland, then bus back to Berea, it probably took longer to fly. I know that driving thru weather like than may have been a bit slow/tricky, but all things considered, I’ll bet they drive the next time.

22. jrs45 says: Nov 19, 2013 6:24 PM

They were close to visiting Modell and mike Webster how frightening is that!!!

23. wyobroncoboy says: Nov 19, 2013 6:28 PM

I sure would like to hear a recording of 50+ football players and staff “screaming” during the rough landing.

Not sure I have heard many grown men that “scream”when under duress.