Trent Richardson: I think I’ve been playing good

bde503bde9a0bc8574f3348eb2060b64 Getty Images

Before last Thursday’s game against the Titans, the Colts said that they had no regrets about trading a first-round pick for struggling running back Trent Richardson.

In that game against Tennessee, Donald Brown was the more effective back and got more work as Richardson managed just 22 yards on his eight carries. Coach Chuck Pagano said after the game that he thought Richardson might be “snake bit” and praised much of the work that Richardson has done since coming to Indianapolis. He’s not the only one giving Richardson’s work good reviews.

“I’m not frustrated at all because I think I’ve been playing good,” Richardson said, via the Indianapolis Star. “If you turn on the film, I don’t have any missed assignments. I haven’t had any missed reads. I’ve been playing good. Stuff just hasn’t matched up like we thought it would when I’m in there. I think teams match up differently when I come in. But if Donald is having a good day or Andrew [Luck] is having a good day, I think that’s a good day for me even if people are keying on me. That might let Donald get going or let Andrew have a big day. That’s a good day for me, too.”

Pagano and Richardson both stressed the parts of Richardson’s job outside of running the ball, but the Colts didn’t deal a first-round pick for someone who was a good pass blocker in the backfield that they could use as a complement to Brown. They did it to add another weapon to their offense and Richardson hasn’t been able to be one thus far no matter how you slice it.

Permalink 91 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
91 Responses to “Trent Richardson: I think I’ve been playing good”
  1. doubleogator says: Nov 19, 2013 8:42 AM

I would hate to see what it looks like when he’s playing bad!

2. dumbpollack says: Nov 19, 2013 8:43 AM

lets just hope Banner/Lombardi dont blow the pick

3. scothawk says: Nov 19, 2013 8:47 AM

If he has been playing “good”, then Mendenhall is a shoe in for MVP.

4. paul82461 says: Nov 19, 2013 8:47 AM

Think again!!!!!!!!!!!

5. ctiggs says: Nov 19, 2013 8:48 AM

S E C !!! S E C!!! S E C!!!! the most overrated players and conference. Trent 2.8 you are garbage. goNINERS.

6. gohomeweeden says: Nov 19, 2013 8:48 AM

HAH!

-signed every fantasy football owner that took you in the first round

7. jameswestphal says: Nov 19, 2013 8:50 AM

It’s playing well Trent, and no, no you have not been playing well.

8. patsfan1820 says: Nov 19, 2013 8:51 AM

I guess the Browns were right about him. If that’s his definition of playing well then I don’t know what his definition of bad is. If not for Donald Brown the Colts would have no run game right now.

9. britishteeth says: Nov 19, 2013 8:51 AM

Yep, that’s exactly why they traded a first round pick, so they could have a back that could pick up the blitz and/or open things up for Donald Brown.

10. screevo says: Nov 19, 2013 8:52 AM

Well, Trent. I’ve been playing well.

And, no, you have not.

11. erock0129 says: Nov 19, 2013 8:52 AM

I do hope Trich turns it around, but this reminds me of how smart Joe Banner really is….go Browns!

12. stoutfiles says: Nov 19, 2013 8:53 AM

To be fair, you can’t give the guy only 10 carries up the middle and expect him to have 100 yards and a TD. If they want Richardson to break out they need to commit to him; give him 30 carries for a game and see what happens.

I’m still on the fence with Trent; it’s not like the Browns RB’s are tearing it up and the Colts won’t give him more than 10 carries a game.

13. joetoronto says: Nov 19, 2013 8:56 AM

Jim Brown was definitely right.

14. phinatic29 says: Nov 19, 2013 8:57 AM

here is one of Jim Irsay’s tweets about Richardson since he has been a Colt;

Colts Nation…are you sitting DOWN!!!!!! Because Trent is.!!!!! He consistently gets knocked on his can after 2.3 yards!!!!

15. atheisticemetic says: Nov 19, 2013 8:58 AM

Heaven forbid if he could play “well.”

16. puresickness12 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:01 AM

To all those who drafted Trent, I feel your pain.

17. no1draftpick says: Nov 19, 2013 9:01 AM

even Trent Richardson doesn’t own Richardson in his fantasy league.

18. nesportsfan0428 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:08 AM

In the wake of the Jonathan Martin case, no-one wants to tell Trent Richardson that he’s been terrible, because they don’t want to hurt his feelings.

19. ozymandias121 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:09 AM

20. jbaxt says: Nov 19, 2013 9:09 AM

I might as well be thrown into that as well, I accept full responsibility for them having good days.

Signed; guy who doesn’t even suit up, or get out of his lazy-boy for that matter.

21. barkymingo says: Nov 19, 2013 9:10 AM

That was this dudes problem while he was in Cleveland. For some reason, he thinks very highly of himself and was arrogant. There are reports that he would show up late to treatment and meetings and he acted like he was privileged for some reason. Maybe its time to stop thinking you’re playing good and to actually start playing good Trent. Or maybe you’re just not that good………

22. buckfigben says: Nov 19, 2013 9:10 AM

As a Browns fan…this may be the biggest robbery in the NFL. (unless we are able to trade weeden for anything more than an old 90′s Football Follies VHS tape)

Not too often a new regime comes in and is able to recoup a first rnd pick for a bust.

23. ididntpukeinjacksonville says: Nov 19, 2013 9:11 AM

And I think I’m the King of England…….it doesn’t make it true.

24. htowntexan says: Nov 19, 2013 9:13 AM

He certainly has mastered grammar.

25. 3yardsndust says: Nov 19, 2013 9:13 AM

Jeez, dude. Aim a little higher, huh?

26. wryly1 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:18 AM

In 15 games as a rookie last year, Browns got 11 TD’s, 950 rushing yards plus 51 receptions for another 367 yards out of him. Highest productivity from a rookie RB in franchise history. That’s why they got a RD1 pick for him.

27. puckthefatriots says: Nov 19, 2013 9:21 AM

Uh Trent, teams key on AP too. He’s doing just fine.

28. cowpiesnotcowboys says: Nov 19, 2013 9:22 AM

“I’ve been playing good” — there’s that Alabama edumacation for ya.

29. sirsupersouthern says: Nov 19, 2013 9:23 AM

Cleveland management had a “good day” when they traded TRich for a first rounder…

30. dexterismyhero says: Nov 19, 2013 9:24 AM

Queue the Colts got fleeced and he is a bust comments.

31. nasaelvis56 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:26 AM

“Keying on me” – huh?

Does his name even get mentioned in the opposing team’s film study?

His best plays are always in open space catching the ball – same story last year. The guy can’t run in traffic at the NFL level.

32. mubbcsoc says: Nov 19, 2013 9:27 AM

Of course it’s a good day for you if Andrew and Donald are having a good day. I’d love to sit on but and make $1 mil a year.

33. jerruhjones says: Nov 19, 2013 9:30 AM

Thanks Indy!

Signed:
    Browns front office

34. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Nov 19, 2013 9:32 AM

Man, this does not bode well for Colts fan.

If Richardson thinks 3 YPC is considered “playing good” — that almost hints that T-Rich is playing in top form, unhindered by injury. Have we reached the cap of T-Rich’s ability to play in the NFL?

I hope not. Classy kid. But these comments show don’t even show me he thinks he has much more to give – or that he even thinks it’s necessary.

35. comatrip1 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:35 AM

You’re consistent. That’s for sure. 40 yards rushing on 28 carries. Zero TDs.

36. hanifmiller says: Nov 19, 2013 9:38 AM

“the Colts didn’t deal a first-round pick for someone who was a good pass blocker in the backfield that they could use as a complement to Brown”–

Nuff said.

37. djteknision1200 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:38 AM

Trent should have never been drafted in the first round anyway, that sent the expectations for his production sky high. The Browns sure did not get their money’s worth from that pick, but they sure did redeem themselves by unloading Trent on the Colts to get that first round back and then some.

38. sndvl99 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:41 AM

I don’t think he knows what the word “good” means.

39. sportsean1 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:43 AM

And some people think they’ve seen Bigfoot.

40. fin72 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:43 AM

1. It’s playing “well”, and 2. No, you’re not… I see this guy lacks awareness both on the field and off. This is the worst example of a fleecing I’ve ever seen. Had Grigson not had Andrew Luck fall into his lap, this trade would be a fireable offense.

41. icanspeel says: Nov 19, 2013 9:44 AM

Seems like his running vision is his biggest issue. I’ve watched him run right into defenders when he easily misses the hole to run through.

42. coonsqualler says: Nov 19, 2013 9:46 AM

If the Browns would have been the team that traded for him instead of dealing him, there would have been 25 stories already about how Cleveland got fleeced by the Colts…..Where is the “Cleveland front office knew what they were doing articles at???

Just Sayin’…Go Brownies!!

43. sakit3 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:49 AM

It’s “playing well”, not “playing good”. He even struggles at grammar!

44. GenXJay says: Nov 19, 2013 9:50 AM

Trent, put down the Irsay-Car-Bomb & sober up.

45. stabbymike says: Nov 19, 2013 9:50 AM

Less than three yards per carry and doing worse than Donald Brown id not good.

46. sweetnlow44 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:51 AM

Hey Trent, the above average running backs in this league WIN those match ups when they’re presented. This is the difference between you and a Marshawn Lynch. He’s got an indomitable will. You don’t.

47. godofwine330 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:54 AM

A line from “Coming to America” comes to mind when someone said that a singer was good. “Yeah, good and terrible.”

Does he have any idea what GOOD is? Good is 4 yards a carry. Decent is 3.75 yards a carry. 3 yards per carry is not good, decent, or even bad, it is flat out paltry. If he were anything other than last year’s first round high draft pick (for the Browns) and next year’s #1 pick (for the Colts) he’d be so far down the bench he’d have to call the waterboy with a walkie-talkie. That #1 that they gave up to my Browns looks more and more like a fleecing with ever 2 yards and a cloud of dust. Question is, if he doesn’t know what good is how will he ever get any better?

48. feetoffury says: Nov 19, 2013 9:54 AM

WELL, Trent. You’ve been playing “well”. And no, no you haven’t.

49. dublindemonszfl says: Nov 19, 2013 9:56 AM

So does every fantasy player out there that didn’t pick you!

50. petecarrolmorelikecheatpayroll says: Nov 19, 2013 9:59 AM

Trent Richardson has the vision of Mr. Magoo, and is almost as funny as him with his comments.

Wake up Trent, you suck!

51. clebrownsfan11 says: Nov 19, 2013 10:08 AM

Trent’s right. He is playing good. This is as good as Trent gets.

Sorry, Colts, fans. GO BROWNS!

52. rationalthinker82 says: Nov 19, 2013 10:09 AM

You have been Trent. For a backup, which is essentially the role you’ve been playing. Problem is you were a top 3 pick. Top 3 picks arent drafted (or traded for with other 1st rd picks in your case) to be “good backups”.

53. r8rsfan says: Nov 19, 2013 10:10 AM

Browns didn’t let him go so soon for no reason.

54. thefiesty1 says: Nov 19, 2013 10:11 AM

See how one season in Cleveland can ruin your career.

55. cutlersmangina says: Nov 19, 2013 10:14 AM

Well Trent, you’re the only one.

56. billsfaninmiami says: Nov 19, 2013 10:16 AM

You are what your stat line says you are.

57. norseyapper says: Nov 19, 2013 10:18 AM

The problem is that Cleveland did not trade up to the 3rd spot for someone who “plays good.” Indi likewise didn’t give up a future first round pick to see someone do an adequate job. In both cases they expect Richardson to be an elite playmaker and a very special player. So far, to say he’s average would be kind.

58. noahbird says: Nov 19, 2013 10:22 AM

Yeah, me too.

59. guymatula says: Nov 19, 2013 10:27 AM

Your stats in Fantasy Football say otherwise, Trent!!!!!

60. reppster says: Nov 19, 2013 10:27 AM

My fantasy team disagrees with you.

61. easyisle says: Nov 19, 2013 10:29 AM

“Well. You’re playing well, Trent…uh, we’ll get to that”
    -Andy Dufresne

62. nedhigginssports says: Nov 19, 2013 10:30 AM

As you continue you to ride the pine for my fantasy team I can tell you Trent: no you haven’t

63. kolbe213 says: Nov 19, 2013 10:32 AM

Brown runs like he wants a job. Richardson runs like he has a job.

64. indytom87 says: Nov 19, 2013 10:32 AM

He has been playing very well – signed, Trent’s mom, Trent’s agent, and Ryan Grigson.

65. boctavious says: Nov 19, 2013 10:32 AM

Great trade for the Browns!

66. kolbe213 says: Nov 19, 2013 10:33 AM

Hey CTIGGS … you guys drafted an SEC running back.

67. smokingconch says: Nov 19, 2013 10:46 AM

“Isn’t it documented that a 6 foot tall person if standing on the line of scrimmage would always pick up 2 yards? Trent is garbage. The Browns actually flexed somebody LOL.”

I’m not so sure about this… I’m 6 feet tall and I get the feeling I wouldn’t average 2ypc in the NFL.

68. pekkle007 says: Nov 19, 2013 10:46 AM

As a Trent drafter, I traded him away before the big trade and almost cried b/c of it. Now it looks like I got the better end of the deal.

69. cmgww says: Nov 19, 2013 10:49 AM

I think he meant if by Donald and Andrew having good days it’s good for him too, he meant that the team is doing well. He is right that he hasn’t whiffed and gotten Luck killed (cough Donald Brown). Brown is FINALLY showing progress after years of Colts fans calling him a bust and wanting him gone. I’m giving him more time. But people just want big gains….they forget about the chain moving plays against the Broncos, or the nice catch and run out of the backfield. Oh and Browns fans, please stop crowing about how you won the trade. You will be picking in the late 20s…not the Top 5. Far from a sure thing that late in the first round

70. jhorton83 says: Nov 19, 2013 10:53 AM

stoutfiles says:
    Nov 19, 2013 8:53 AM

—————————————————-

He had more than 10 carries in each of his first 5 games with the Colts. And shockingly, he still sucked.

71. thetroofishere says: Nov 19, 2013 10:57 AM

It’s because pre-snap, he has a tell to his stance/eyes/posture. That’s why he constantly gets met in the backfield at the handoff. Donald Brown has holes when he carries the ball.

Get Trent a mirrored visor to hide him staring at the hole he’s supposed to run through.

72. 1rockyracoon says: Nov 19, 2013 11:05 AM

His position is running back. His priority is RUNNING. I don’t expect a player to say he’s bad, but to say your playing well is a bit much. Someone suggested giving him 30 carries. Those 30 carries would equal 70 whole yards.

73. antalicus says: Nov 19, 2013 11:26 AM

“The problem is that he’s ordinary. I think he’s ordinary.” – Jim Brown on Trent Richardson when the Browns drafted him

Plays with 20 yards or more rushing for Trent Richardson: 2

74. sakit3 says: Nov 19, 2013 11:31 AM

(nasaelvis56 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:26 AM

“Keying on me” – huh?

Does his name even get mentioned in the opposing team’s film study?)

Sure it does, when they need a lighthearted moment to cut the tension during some of the longer sessions.

75. granadafan says: Nov 19, 2013 12:24 PM

“cowpiesnotcowboys says:
    Nov 19, 2013 9:22 AM
    “I’ve been playing good” — there’s that Alabama edumacation for ya.”
    ==============================================

Well, it’s Alabama and the SEC. Learning and going to classes is not required and discouraged at those “schools” for football players. Cheatin’, lyin’, and playin’ are the only requirements for the SEC.

76. joemammy says: Nov 19, 2013 12:34 PM

If you se Trent out on the street, he’s wearing GLASSES. During a game, he is not.

Maybe it’s as simple as not being able to see the holes open up.

77. jhaegs says: Nov 19, 2013 12:34 PM

My fantasy team (which you’re no longer on) would say otherwise, Trent…

78. truninerfan49 says: Nov 19, 2013 12:40 PM

He is lucky Bradshaw got hurt or he would be 3rd on the depth chart

79. Kaz says: Nov 19, 2013 12:53 PM

Foolish trade by the Colts, but Browns fans taking joy his struggles, we remember you guys took this guy 3rd overall!

80. Kaz says: Nov 19, 2013 12:54 PM

And traded up one (and a handfull of picks) to grab him.

81. ctiggs says: Nov 19, 2013 1:09 PM

kolbe213 says:Nov 19, 2013 10:33 AM

Hey CTIGGS … you guys drafted an SEC running back.

And the jury is still out on him. I hope he contributes, but we will see.

82. therealbleedcoltsblue says: Nov 19, 2013 1:11 PM

Concussions must REALLY be a problem if this guy doesn’t remember that he SUCKS.

I hated this trade from the MOMENT I found out about it.

#FIRE GRIGSON

83. dexterismyhero says: Nov 19, 2013 1:23 PM

@djteknision1200 says: Nov 19, 2013 9:38 AM

==================================
    Get the first round pick and then some? They took him 3rd and traded several picks along the way to do that. They will get someone in the 20′s from the Colts. Your front office still blows. Like the defense though.

84. afcdomination says: Nov 19, 2013 1:25 PM

he wears glasses off the field. he wears none on it, if he were to get contacts, I bet his YPC goes up quite a bit.

seriously, if colts fans want the man to improve, SUGGEST THIS and get that going. would it be all that shocking

85. i10east says: Nov 19, 2013 1:30 PM

@dexterismyhero

Okay, if you insist…Indy got fleeced; Clearly Trent is a bust!!!!

86. mn1288 says: Nov 19, 2013 1:32 PM

Yeah…he’s playing as well as he speaks.

87. ryanreitsma says: Nov 19, 2013 2:03 PM

Willis McGahee will probably finish the year with more rushing yards than Trent Richardson. Trent should know he’s not playing “good” when Mark Ingram has outrushed you over any period of time as the 3rd RB in New Orleans.

88. mackcarrington says: Nov 19, 2013 2:32 PM

A couple of posters mentioned the fact that Trent may need glasses and one mentioned contact lenses. No. They wouldn’t stay in his eyes. He should either consider laser eye surgery or get prescription goggles like Eric Dickerson wore.

89. dexterismyhero says: Nov 19, 2013 2:55 PM

@i10east says: Nov 19, 2013 1:30 PM

@dexterismyhero

Okay, if you insist…Indy got fleeced; Clearly Trent is a bust!!!!
    ==================================
    Ha…………………Nice try though……..

90. souldogdave says: Nov 19, 2013 3:06 PM

That’s what he gets for thinking.

91. peddealer says: Nov 19, 2013 10:58 PM

Even Leroy ” If you need 1 yard, I’ll get you 3… If you need 4 yards, I’ll get you 3…” Hoard COULD AVG 3.0!

#1
    What better young QB could you ask for to open up a D?

#2
    What the hell are you going to do when they actually put 8 in a box?

BUT….

Thank God it only cost them a #1 next year for a RB who plays “good” but not “well”.

God knows that wouldn’t be “playa”?

Also does anyone besides me start to notice a common disappointment in some Bama players? They seem to go of show in 1st RDers in the draft, but are disappointing pros! McClain, Kirkpatrick, Richardson, Ingram, Upshaw, e.g.