Moss backtracks on his RGIII comments, then reinforces them

Moss Getty Images

A day after veteran Washington receiver Santana Moss offered up a biting assessment of quarterback Robert Griffin III’s failure to take blame, Moss didn’t take blame for his biting assessment of Robert Griffin III.

“I read a quote and it said, ‘Moss says RGIII needs to take more responsibility for losses,’” Moss said, via the Washington Post.  “That never came out of my mouth.  I said that if I’m put in the situation, as a leader, I will stand up and say, ‘me, I,’ and that’s what I said.  So that’s what happens.  People see stuff that’s written or said and if it’s not said directly, then don’t lose no sleep on it.  And me and Robert talked today and that’s the type of relationship we have.  We can talk and get to know or to express what was really said because that’s what we have in this locker room.”

On Tuesday, Moss may not have said, “RGIII needs to take more responsibility for losses,” but that was the import of the words.  Especially when considering the full content of what Moss actually told LaVar Arrington and Chad Dukes.

And then Moss basically repeated the message about how players should handle the issue of taking blame.

“I was sending a message to players who might be put in that situation,” Moss said.  “What I said was if I’m a quarterback or if I’m a leader, if I’m the person whoever, if I drop a ball, then it’s me.  It don’t matter how it came or what the other guy did.  It’s me.  But at that time, I was picturing myself as being the quarterback and what could I tell you all to stop the madness is, the only thing I can say out of my mouth is at the end of the day, I’m the guy last that has to make the play, whether it’s a play to win it and we won it or it’s a play that we didn’t win.  If we won, I’m gonna say, ‘Hey, we did a great job.’  If we didn’t, I’m gonna say, ‘I have to control us, our game, better.  And I have to do a better job,’ because at the end of the day, that’s what y’all want to hear or not.  But that’s what I feel that’ s best.  And that’s what I tried to get across.”

So Moss wasn’t saying Griffin needs to take more responsibility for losses.  Moss was saying that he personally would take more responsibility for losses, and that other players such as quarterbacks and leaders should use the example provided by Moss as guidance for their own comments in similar situations.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that Griffin, a quarterback and supposed leader, needs to take more responsibility for losses, especially since in response to the latest loss Griffin has blamed the coaches for not crafting better schemes and the receivers for not getting open on the team’s final play from scrimmage.

So Moss didn’t say what some in the media claim he said.  He said something else that means the same thing.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
41 Responses to “Moss backtracks on his RGIII comments, then reinforces them”
  1. unclemosesgreen says: Nov 20, 2013 3:21 PM

I think we need Bill Clinton to parse this statement.

2. iberiasaint says: Nov 20, 2013 3:24 PM

I agree 100% with what Santana siad, If I misspell said, I own it.

3. ufanforreal says: Nov 20, 2013 3:29 PM

It doesn’t matter, RG111 is who we thought he would be…….run run run, O sheet did I do that.

4. footballfan01 says: Nov 20, 2013 3:35 PM

This organization is a dumpster fire.

5. beavertonsteve says: Nov 20, 2013 3:36 PM

It’s a sad day when a veteran player has to backpedal from good advice.

6. therolandobottom says: Nov 20, 2013 3:37 PM

Luck is way better than RG3

7. whogotitbetter says: Nov 20, 2013 3:39 PM

Chad Dukes is fat.

8. seaeagle707 says: Nov 20, 2013 3:41 PM

Methinks they doth protest too much.

9. beerbudsnbevo says: Nov 20, 2013 3:46 PM

You think it’s bad now…. Wait till next season. Aging roster, no high draft picks, salary cap jail, Shanahans have already lost the locker room.

Like Flounder said in Animal House

Ohhhh boy is this great!

Regards,

Cowboys fans everywhere

10. peytonsneck18 says: Nov 20, 2013 3:47 PM

iRG3 can’t even serve luck his gaterade, what a huge mistake by the skins, fail DMV

11. jda129 says: Nov 20, 2013 3:50 PM

Leaders say blame ends with me, as should everyone or else you don’t know how to spell.

12. Kaz says: Nov 20, 2013 3:58 PM

They can probably get back a 1st round pick for RGKnee if they act fast. They still have Cousins.

13. voltron217 says: Nov 20, 2013 4:00 PM

The nfl should increase the minimum years of college from 3 to 6 before they enter the league.

14. kwgator says: Nov 20, 2013 4:02 PM

Dexys Midnight Runners & RG3 = One Hit Wonders

15. seachicken64 says: Nov 20, 2013 4:02 PM

This article is a perfect example of why many people despise lawyers.

16. flyboy69 says: Nov 20, 2013 4:03 PM

Is this the same Randy that cant keep his mouth shut, when he was losing on a game, “Come on MAN”…..

17. richardmswartz says: Nov 20, 2013 4:05 PM

This is a non story. For all of those who are bagging on RGIII, would you trade him for Nick Foles straight up?

I didn’t think so.

How about Kap?

Oh not him either.

Geno Smith?

hahahaha

Well how about Super Bowl winnter Joe Flacco?

no one would make that trade either.

The Redskins paid way too much for him, perhaps he needs some work on post game press conferences after a loss, but within a year the kid will be back to pro-bowl form.

18. Kaz says: Nov 20, 2013 4:05 PM

Good news is we shouldn’t have Skins fans mentioning RGKnee in every comment section this offseason (even when the story had nothing to do with the Skins).

19. lizardlickk says: Nov 20, 2013 4:06 PM

How ’bout we worry about our next opponent instead of the run around “leader” talk. What matters is the W’s.

20. buddysguys says: Nov 20, 2013 4:07 PM

like anyone cares about him, the REDSKINS, or RGknee anymore…they are last years hype.

21. jjackwagon says: Nov 20, 2013 4:08 PM

I have to admit…when I read the headline, I thought “Why is Randy Moss running his mouth about RGIII?”
    I guess that shows which Moss is/was the better WR.

22. chaddukesthebuttpirate says: Nov 20, 2013 4:11 PM

whogotitbetter says: Nov 20, 2013 3:39 PM

Chad Dukes is fat.
    ———————————————————-

Hey! I’m not fat, I’m big boned.

23. ufanforreal says: Nov 20, 2013 4:13 PM

peytonsneck18 says: Nov 20, 2013 3:47 PM

——————————————————
    You’re right he would drop it trying to get it to him.

24. eepobee says: Nov 20, 2013 4:17 PM

for those of you who feel this is an opportunity to teach us all how much better luck is than RG3, you really should try watching him play and look at his numbers.

25. commonsensedude says: Nov 20, 2013 4:21 PM

Typical. Santana dropped his criticism … just like he’s been doing with most of the passes thrown right into his hands this season.

26. robyesno says: Nov 20, 2013 4:28 PM

Oh brother! Football etiquette, codes and traditions are nerve-racking, “it’s
    like playing cards with my brother’s kids”
    You can’t say what you really mean, and, if you do, you have to immediately retract, lie, then apologize; you’re expected to assume the blame whether or not you are or believe you are at fault, so that the other grown*** men don’t feel bad; at the same time agreeing to be demeaned, bullied and have you’re pockets picked cause those same grown*** men think it’s a “fun thing to do”
    Give us all a break and take some good and simple advice from a smart chick who refused to get screwed (sing with me): “she said, don’t give me no lines and keep your hands to yourself “

27. ufanforreal says: Nov 20, 2013 4:29 PM

eepobee says: Nov 20, 2013 4:17 PM

——————————————————
    7-3 is all that needs to be said about your post.

28. szwhtsup123 says: Nov 20, 2013 4:36 PM

Fun to watch the east coast Raiders implode more and more very week, led by their media built hero QB. Sure don’t hear much from their moronic illogical fan base any more, do we?

29. rammmjammm says: Nov 20, 2013 4:40 PM

“eepobee says: Nov 20, 2013 4:17 PM

it’s been so ingrained in our brains that luck is the next great QB that when we see not terrible, we say “great”. he’s been very, very, very average at best. completion % is atrocious and he’s flat out bad for long stretches. got absolutely smoked by the rams (the Rams!) and was bad against the titans.”

The Rams are better than the Redskins.

30. chawk12thman says: Nov 20, 2013 4:40 PM

Is he helping to deflect from Coach?

31. lanflfan says: Nov 20, 2013 4:49 PM

How delusional are the people who think this team has any kind of shot at the Super Bowl?

32. tennesseeoilers says: Nov 20, 2013 5:11 PM

Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson are not only playing MUCH better than RGIII and Kaepernick, they’re showing them how real leaders conduct themselves off the field also.

And that’s not easy for me to own. RGIII’s been my favorite non-Titan since he was in college. … I’m currently rethinking that …

33. sopadegato says: Nov 20, 2013 9:25 PM

Everyone else was saying the same things about Cam Newton last year, and look what’s happening there.

Maybe RG3 just needs someone to step up and tell him to cut the crap and become a team player instead of a “me” player.

34. thesteelskirt says: Nov 20, 2013 10:13 PM

What he said was “man up” but once again a pro athlete does not hear his own words. Pathetic athletes!

35. vusnu says: Nov 20, 2013 10:23 PM

And so the Shanahan era begins to wind itself down in D.C.

36. theblowtorchreview says: Nov 20, 2013 10:41 PM

After hearing Moss’s interview, all I could think was ……How did this guy get into college?

Ive never liked him. Might have something to do with his ball spinning after gaining 4 yards, usually short of a first down and the team down by 3 TD’s.

37. bigblackanvil says: Nov 20, 2013 10:45 PM

Redskins make the playoffs at 9-7. Bank on it. HTTR

38. drs76109 says: Nov 21, 2013 2:25 AM

Lets remember that he is working for a HC past his prime and an OC that is questionably competent. Context, please.

39. baltimoresnativeson says: Nov 21, 2013 3:13 AM

Man I’ve never seen folks turn on a guy so fast. Just last year he was Jesus.

40. kenny328usa says: Nov 21, 2013 5:15 AM