Trent Williams thinks NFL will sweep incident with ref under the rug

Trent Williams AP

Washington offensive lineman Trent Williams doesn’t think the NFL is going to do much about his claim that an official cursed at him during Sunday’s game.

Williams told CSNWashington.com that he doesn’t expect the NFL to do much of anything about the matter, and at this point he’s turning his attention toward Monday night’s game against San Francisco.

They’ll probably sweep it under the rug,” he said. “That’s my opinion, but I’m over it. I’m focused on the 49ers now. That’s the end of it.”

Former NFL head of officiating Mike Pereira revealed this week that the official in question, umpire Roy Ellison, has previously been warned that he needs to be civil in his interactions with players. Williams said that fits with what other players have told him about Ellison.

“I’ve had [players from other teams] hit me up the past few days saying they’ve had the same experience with him,” Williams said.

If that’s true, the NFL has a problem on its hands. Officials should enforce the rules while treating players with respect. If Ellison isn’t doing that, he shouldn’t be an NFL official.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
14 Responses to “Trent Williams thinks NFL will sweep incident with ref under the rug”
  1. melikefootball says: Nov 20, 2013 6:58 PM

As a fan you know this is true. Gödel and his henchman have taken the NFL backwards in the last five years.

2. maxl49 says: Nov 20, 2013 7:14 PM

Admiting mistakes isn’t really part of Goodell’s NFL M.O.

3. helix828 says: Nov 20, 2013 7:15 PM

I’m sure the players and coaches are nothing but polite and respectful to the refs on the field.

4. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 20, 2013 7:17 PM

What rug? I don’t see anything but smoke and ash.

5. sonoco says: Nov 20, 2013 7:25 PM

I have a feeling Roy Ellison will be refereeing in a college atmosphere next year.

6. seanwalley says: Nov 20, 2013 7:32 PM

Are you all crazy?!? Players and coaches give the refs so much trash I’m surprised it hadn’t happened more often where a ref gives it right back to the players. If every ref looked like Ed Hochuli I bet the players would be more respectful.

7. eaglesnd18 says: Nov 20, 2013 7:39 PM

The only thing being swept are the redskins by the Eagles!

8. racistredskins says: Nov 20, 2013 7:50 PM

Goodell and his henchman ARE the NFL. He’s hired by the owners.

9. racistredskins says: Nov 20, 2013 8:02 PM

If it’s okay in the locker room, team facility and on the field, then why can’t the ref’s do it to?

10. dietrich43 says: Nov 20, 2013 8:13 PM

The NFL sweep something embarrasing under the hug? They never do that!

11. thereyougo2 says: Nov 20, 2013 8:49 PM

It keeps getting further and farther from rough tackle professional football thanks to the dot the i and cross the t attorneys. Keep it going Roger shouldn’t take you less than this decade to eliminate the goose that laid the gold.

12. pem34 says: Nov 20, 2013 8:50 PM

Considering the next day Brady dropped a giant F bomb on the ref on cera leaving the field – and every coach curses them out along the sideline all game long – he’s probably right the NFL won’t do anything

13. @HowdyDoobie says: Nov 20, 2013 9:05 PM

I’m not saying the ref didn’t do anything wrong but could imagine what is said/screamed at referees in games? Especially that poor guy who has to stand next to Jim Harbaugh all game.

14. onebucplace says: Nov 20, 2013 10:29 PM

So why do you delete my last comment? You guys have zero consistency on what gets through and what doesn’t. Posting here is as frustrating as holding calls in the NFL when you never know when something might be called.