Cam Newton celebrated win with trip to Waffle House

1C6098635-130220-wafflehouse-sign-12p.blocks_desktop_small Getty Images

Charlotte’s grown up a lot since the NFL arrived in 1995. An actual, if still quaint, downtown exists now, with restaurants and clubs that stay open after dark.

But Panthers quarterback Cam Newton hit one of the city’s old-school nightspots after leading his team to a win over the Patriots on Monday night.

I went to Waffle House,” Newton said, via David Newton of ESPN.com. “Popped orange juices.”

Newton’s celebration was as low-key as he’s been in the aftermath of the team’s signature win of the season in front of a national television audience.

But rather than celebrate with teammates, he caught a quick, cheap meal with the family, at a place where he said he’s “on a first-name basis” with the staff.

“I order scrambled eggs, hash browns and cheese grits in one bowl with a light waffle, . . . extremely light waffle,” he said. “Ah, man, to die for.”

It also fits with his team, which has scattered, smothered and covered opponents for six weeks in a row.

Permalink 42 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
42 Responses to “Cam Newton celebrated win with trip to Waffle House”
  1. govtminion says: Nov 21, 2013 12:20 PM

So, Waffle House = good, Dave & Busters = bad. Got it.

2. ilovefoolsball says: Nov 21, 2013 12:20 PM

I like waffle house too.
    I like how you can see them cooking, it’s always better when you can see the kitchen of a restaurant.

Although I would have to choose IHOP over WH, still not a bad choice.

3. leeeeroyjenkins says: Nov 21, 2013 12:21 PM

Love this kid. The future is very bright in Carolina

4. scoops1 says: Nov 21, 2013 12:22 PM

we need more Waffle Houses up here in the north east

5. joemammy says: Nov 21, 2013 12:22 PM

He didn’t get a DUI. No firearms were involved. And Cam won’t be getting fined by the league for “conduct detrimental.”

Sounds like one young man who has his priorities in order and his head on straight.

Good for Cam.

6. t8ertot says: Nov 21, 2013 12:22 PM

Nothing wrong with good ol Waffle House. Good to see a rich person stay humble

7. 3taintedchampionships2biglosses says: Nov 21, 2013 12:23 PM

It was well deserved Cam.

8. cliverush says: Nov 21, 2013 12:24 PM

He was trying to honor the refs.

9. blackandbluedivision says: Nov 21, 2013 12:27 PM

Oh, I thought he would have shot his guns in the air. I guess I have the wrong southerners.

10. tennesseeoilers says: Nov 21, 2013 12:31 PM

Classic. I love it.

- Titans Fan

11. tinbender2000 says: Nov 21, 2013 12:33 PM

Good for him. Now I’m hungry.

12. cobo2112 says: Nov 21, 2013 12:34 PM

Where did Brady go to sulk after the game? Arby’s?

13. cromags says: Nov 21, 2013 12:39 PM

Low-key? When has someone who’s accomplished so little at the NFL level mugged and danced for the cameras so much?

14. peytonsneck18 says: Nov 21, 2013 12:43 PM

He’s still not on Lucks level

15. elway6532 says: Nov 21, 2013 12:45 PM

Tom Brady celebrated by getting a new pair of Ughs and kicking the dog on the way in the door.

16. corkspop says: Nov 21, 2013 12:48 PM

Nice to hear for a change.

17. ridingwithnohandlebars says: Nov 21, 2013 12:49 PM

Now I’m hungry.

18. cwk22 says: Nov 21, 2013 12:51 PM

Awesome!

19. jjackwagon says: Nov 21, 2013 12:52 PM

I am liking Cam more everyday.

This is way better than him getting high, driving drunk with some hood rats, getting pulled over and arrested for illegal possession of a firearm. Which is ,tragically & typically, the case with most young NFL players.

20. kisstherings says: Nov 21, 2013 12:55 PM

I hope he brought Clete Blakeman and the rest of the officating crew and picked up the tab for them.

Or maybe that happend the night before…..

21. zoxitic says: Nov 21, 2013 1:00 PM

cobo2112 says:

Where did Brady go to sulk after the game? Arby’s?
    __________________________________

I think Hardees would have worked better there.

22. irishphilly87 says: Nov 21, 2013 1:01 PM

He then proceeeded to get stomach cramps on the car ride home and felt the need to release it in the toilet. 20 minutes later, Cam placed his bum on the toilet and let one loose. i mean….wtf is this story???? do we have to follow every little thing an athlete does now? Social media and news stories are so outragouesly ridiculous now..

23. ravenswhat says: Nov 21, 2013 1:06 PM

Cam chewing his gum and pouting after a loss. You know it’s coming soon. I call BS in this guy being a new leader. Just wait until they lose 2 in a row. Same old cam.

24. doctorrustbelt says: Nov 21, 2013 1:07 PM

In response to cromag…

Cam Newton has been much less annoying this season.

SIDENOTE: Carolina has played a pretty weak schedule so far.

Wins over the 2-8 Minnesota, 2-8 Tampa Bay, 2-8 Atlanta, 4-6 St. Louis, and 4-6 NY Giants isn’t a strong schedule.

25. thehouseofho says: Nov 21, 2013 1:19 PM

@cromags says:
    Nov 21, 2013 12:39 PM

=====

Tim Tebow says hi.

26. metintodd says: Nov 21, 2013 1:24 PM

It must be nice when the refs hand you a football game illegally on a silver platter. Next time, try earning the win legitimately.

27. peopletrains says: Nov 21, 2013 1:26 PM

I am a much bigger fan of NFLer Cam than I was of NCAAer Cam.

28. theroc5156 says: Nov 21, 2013 1:27 PM

Weak schedule? Maybe. But beating the 49ers in San Francisco and the Patriots the week after is pretty impressive. Let’s not forget, they not only beat those “bad” teams, they destroyed them.

A Bengal fan.

29. MyTeamsAllStink says: Nov 21, 2013 1:39 PM

I like Cracker Barrel better.

30. abusementland says: Nov 21, 2013 1:46 PM

Tom Brady went to Burger King.

He needed to go somewhere to have it his way….

31. allidoiswin55 says: Nov 21, 2013 1:59 PM

The waffle house is historical disgusting.. People like myself from the west coach assume it’s popular out of being good cheap late-night food. But damn the place is absolutely nasty the worst quality of food I’ve ever eaten and I’ve tried it like 5 times all over the south. How people support this place is beyond me. Guaranteed stomach ache.

Also Cam is deserving of MVP talk but so is my boy Russell Wilson whose out preforming him in almost every category and has a better recorded and will likely be the first seed for the nfc come Jan. Man Cam is ballin no doubt but to avoid RW is a sham he’s doing exactly as much or more plus willing his team to victories when they were missing 4 out of 5 starting lineman whom they just got back. Go Cam either way I hated seeing all the haters talk mess about him.

Go seahawks..

32. gotdressedinabooth says: Nov 21, 2013 2:03 PM

BTW the Panthers may have had a weak schedule, but you play who’s on the schedule– everybody knows that. They played and dominated, and played two considerably elite teams, and beat them both also.

Next…

33. thatstinks says: Nov 21, 2013 2:11 PM

The last time I was at Waffle House I noticed a song in the jukebox called ” Make mine with Cheese “. I have always wondered how that song sounded . Anyhow I had a feeling about the Panthers this season due to that filthy D . I really think if they had another solid receiver they would be a SB contender . Give Ron Rivera a Berts chilli bath .

34. gojags says: Nov 21, 2013 2:12 PM

I am slowly becoming a Cam fan. Not because of this article, because of how he turned around this year and how well he is been playing. The defense maybe carrying this team for now, but Cam is making some signature plays as well which I hope would carry deep in the season.
    I must also admit I was non-believer of Cam earlier this season.

35. dcstinks says: Nov 21, 2013 3:05 PM

And Daddy picked up the tab with his donation from Auburn.

36. keltictim says: Nov 21, 2013 3:23 PM

The waitress threw down the check but then conferred with the other waitstaff and realizing they were in Charlotte picked it up and ran like hell mumbling something about the plate being uneatable

37. exboomer says: Nov 21, 2013 3:30 PM

I love Waffle House! They aren’t in the NE but whenever I go down south I always make sure I have at least one breakfast there.

38. wisconsinhillfolk says: Nov 21, 2013 4:36 PM

So… it took you 5 visits “all over the South” to conclude that the food is disgusting? You should have spent that time in a Language Arts class.

39. cospgsmadman says: Nov 21, 2013 5:10 PM

I used to call it the awful waffle but did I sure missed it when they closed here. Great greasy spoon.

40. dcstinks says: Nov 21, 2013 6:13 PM

I eat at the Waffle House once a year to remind me of how disgusting it is! I live in Nashville and everyone I have been to is covered in dust and grease.

41. dcstinks says: Nov 21, 2013 8:07 PM

Can I get an order of diarrhea and a side of regret.

42. tendigitpoet says: Nov 22, 2013 7:22 AM

Time to get my waffle on.