Griffin expresses regret for his post-game comments

Griffin AP

He didn’t apologize or say he was wrong, but he indeed express regret for the things he said after his team lost to the Eagles.

“I think at the end of the day, I just have to know in that situation after a tough loss to a divisional opponent I can’t give anybody any opportunity to read into my words and misinterpret anything,” Robert Griffin III told reporters on Wednesday, via comments distributed by the team. “Some of the things I said — I was trying to give a good compliment to Philly.  I wasn’t trying to take any shots at anybody and it turned out that way.  You’re asking me today and like I said, if I could take any of that back, yeah, I would take it back, because in the heat of that moment, you’re frustrated.  You’re trying to figure out why things didn’t work.  I’m trying to give you guys honest answers and it hurt us in that sense.  That’s on me.  I’ve just got to take more time to think about things and just not, even when I’m trying to give an honest answer, sometimes, ‘Let me look at the film’ is good enough, because you can look at the film and figure it out.”

Regardless of Griffin’s intent, he did indeed take a shot at his coaches and at his receivers, claiming that the Eagles knew what was coming and that, on the last play from scrimmage, the receivers didn’t get open.  And he’s now indeed trying to take it back, apparently by pretending he never said it.

“You guys asked me about the last play of the game,” Griffin explained.  “I said I tried to throw the ball away and it didn’t work. I don’t know who else is to blame for that.  I tried to throw the ball away and it didn’t work.  So like I said, you just can’t let those little things – ‘I’, ‘me,’ people trying to coach you in those areas – take advantage of or just turn what you’re trying to say. But at the end of the day, like I said, I talked to London [Fletcher] and those guys and they knew what I was trying to say.  Maybe I can say ‘I’, ‘me’ a whole lot more, but other people can take that the wrong way, too.”

Some would say that Grffin should have apologized publicly, and that his failure to utter those words reflects the same pride and ego that caused him to shift blame in the first place.

Based on a report from Chick Hernandez of CSN Washington, the blame definitely belongs with Griffin. Hernandez reports that Griffin “called the wrong protection” on the final play from scrimmage, and that Griffin’s reference to no one getting open “rubbed teammates the wrong way.”

It remains to be seen whether Griffin’s effort to put the toothpaste back in the tube will make a difference to those teammates.  Some of them may see it as sincere and genuine, others may see it as expedient and hollow.

For now, it appears the situation is under control.  With another game coming and the team still alive in NFC Least, it has to be.  If the losses continue, that could change.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
40 Responses to “Griffin expresses regret for his post-game comments”
  1. skoobyfl says: Nov 21, 2013 6:18 AM

It’s a family thing with the coaches, so mind your P & Q’s.

2. nflsecurity862 says: Nov 21, 2013 6:43 AM

Remember when people said the Colts should take this clown over Luck? Hilarious!

3. ninjapleazee says: Nov 21, 2013 6:43 AM

Man up already

4. tinkletinkleonyourstar says: Nov 21, 2013 6:55 AM

Unfortunately, Subway Bob’s daddy never taught him the concept of personal responsibility.
    Already very sick of this arrogant tool.

5. steelersaregodsteam says: Nov 21, 2013 7:03 AM

Bust.

6. blackqbwhiterb says: Nov 21, 2013 7:05 AM

When Cousins takes over, he won’t make these mistakes with the media……..

7. fordmandalay says: Nov 21, 2013 7:05 AM

It’s like watching a slow-motion train wreck! (pops more popcorn)

8. jimmyt says: Nov 21, 2013 7:06 AM

I guess when a team trades three first and one second rounder for you the expectation of what you will do is a tad high. I’d say Shanahan blew this one.

9. doctorart2013 says: Nov 21, 2013 7:41 AM

Guess what, could it be that the Eagles are better than the Redskins right now and just give them the credit for winning that big game on Sunday?

10. hehateme2 says: Nov 21, 2013 7:43 AM

Enjoy him Redtails!

11. arwiv says: Nov 21, 2013 7:43 AM

While I get the whole Nfc “least” thing, there are other divisions catching up to their mediocrity. The NFC east has a total of 18 wins right now which is pretty lousy….but they are now only 1 behind the NFC south, the NFC north, and the AFC north who all have a total of 19 wins.

And actually, to be fair, the worst division in football right now is the AFC south…..14 total wins. The idea of the NFC east being the worst in football might not be accurate anymore.

12. therealsmiley says: Nov 21, 2013 7:45 AM

You’re right…they’ll twist anything and everything you say. Don’t worry about the haters…we love our Redskins! Hail!

13. doomsdaydefensetx says: Nov 21, 2013 7:49 AM

I’m guessing that means Papa Moss bent Bob over his knee and gave him a couple “act-rights” LOL

14. mythaimyke says: Nov 21, 2013 8:01 AM

Is something in the air in Washington? He sounds just like Obama!!!!!!!!!

15. cwk22 says: Nov 21, 2013 8:07 AM

His maturity level appears to be on par with logicalvoices

16. jpk6044 says: Nov 21, 2013 8:16 AM

Kind of funny how it seems that Nick Foles is the best QB in the NFC East.

17. gpete1962 says: Nov 21, 2013 8:22 AM

Your not in Kansas anymore Bobby 3 sticks. 1 full year of game film make make flash in the pan players like you irrelevant.

Although,The real blame lies with the Shanny’s willingness to take an undeniable very good talent and turn it into a scrambling freak show with no regard for your well being!

18. motzinjammin says: Nov 21, 2013 8:36 AM

Can’t wait to read how the voice of logic spins this one…

19. dogfromduckhunt says: Nov 21, 2013 8:36 AM

He still doesn’t get it and once again blames others. Now people are misreading his words instead of blaming himself for the words.

20. rufustfireflyjr says: Nov 21, 2013 8:38 AM

I love RGIII’s abilities and potential as a player and I think he’s a good guy, but he really just needs to shut up and play football.

21. florioleadswitnesses says: Nov 21, 2013 8:46 AM

Griffin would be better off doing the Belichick dance. We live in a society that doesn’t want the truth. It’s best not to give the vultures something to feed off of.

22. logicalvoicesays says: Nov 21, 2013 8:53 AM

Leave the best QB in Football alone.

23. jimthebuilder27 says: Nov 21, 2013 8:56 AM

Monday morning Quarterbacking for ya?

24. scoonie97 says: Nov 21, 2013 9:07 AM

Never has a 3-7 team gotten so much attention.

25. deangelo23hall says: Nov 21, 2013 9:37 AM

Redskins fan here. Whoever ends up winning this division is going to get bounced in the first round anyway. None of these teams are the 2007 Giants. #irrelevant

26. wryly1 says: Nov 21, 2013 9:42 AM

Forget not throwing the ball away on 3rd down and giving your team another shot – what about his 4 yards of passing in the first half?

The breakout of his game logs all season have shown most of his passing yards and TD’s have been late in second half ‘garbage time’ when they are already down multiple scores.

What about giving your team a lead in the first half and a better chance to win? This year, he neither leads nor carries his team – which is what franchise QB’s are supposed to do.

27. thraiderskin says: Nov 21, 2013 10:04 AM

He needs to man up, I’m a fan of his, but he is wearing out his welcome…

28. nonetruerthanblue says: Nov 21, 2013 10:42 AM

Ok… Get off the kid already

29. leecaz says: Nov 21, 2013 11:21 AM

Hmmm. Maybe you he did need training camp after all, huh? He has looked lost all season and the only time he looks decent is when he’s facing prevent defenses at the end of games.

30. dstep24 says: Nov 21, 2013 11:46 AM

Convert him to WR. Then at least he has a pass to be selfish.

Oh, and…he’d probably help the team a lot more than he is as a QB.

31. hawkforlife says: Nov 21, 2013 12:14 PM

I tried to throw the ball away and it didn’t work.

I just don’t get this statement.

32. smileyd123 says: Nov 21, 2013 12:20 PM

Your offensive line stinks. The coaches call plays that sends receivers on long vertical routes. If they can’t protect him why call the plays. I’m pretty sure that is what RGIII was getting at. Think about it he hit his fullback on

33. mogogo1 says: Nov 21, 2013 12:34 PM

At what point does he figure out that saying less will cause him less troubles? Instead he’s got a take on everything and has to backpedal on half of what he says.

34. dwatkins69 says: Nov 21, 2013 1:33 PM

What is it with fans. These guys cant say anything without somebody getting hurt by what he said or how he threw someone under the bus. In the Modern NFL, if this is the worst he can do with all the Aaron Hernandez, Ahmed Brooks and Aldon Smith’s, sounds like people are way overreacting. Lighten up Francis’

35. sandersmarcus10 says: Nov 21, 2013 2:16 PM

steelersaregodsteam says:
    Nov 21, 2013 7:03 AM
    Bust.

^^LOL are you serious!!!!

36. sandersmarcus10 says: Nov 21, 2013 2:18 PM

thraiderskin says:
    Nov 21, 2013 10:04 AM
    He needs to man up, I’m a fan of his, but he is wearing out his welcome…

^^^This guy is classic, RG3 is good when they winning but wearing out his welcome now lol!!

37. cguy7 says: Nov 21, 2013 2:38 PM

Shanny’s offense can no longer mask the fact that Bob cannot throw the ball accurately… With all the draft picks you gave away you’ll have more London Fletchers and Santana Moss’ on your team. (guys past their prime who couldn’t start on other teams) Feel sorry for Garcon’ and Morris. Bet Garcon’ wishes he took less money and stayed in Indy bout’ now…

38. cowboyhater says: Nov 21, 2013 3:02 PM

First of all the DC media is digging, and taking it upon themselves to interpret what they want to hear out of this kid. All of you who don’t follow this team continue to make ignorant comments about this kid, and when it’s all said and done, I feel very confident the skins fans will end up getting the last laugh. Also, you may want to look at the ratings among the QB’s and see where RG3 is ranked, and for that matter where the skins offense is ranked. Even in a learning “down” year without a off season, he still remains in the middle of the pack. I wouldn’t quite use the “bust” term just yet haters. Also, look at the stats between him and wonder boy Luck. Pretty close folks. The real issue is that the offense is taking an unfair criticism due to the lousy defensive play. That’s where the criticism should lay, but since you idiots don’t follow the team, all you get is the negative press about RG3 and the offense. I haven’t heard anything about the lack of pass rush from Osuckpo, and Kerrigan. The past his prime middle LB Fletcher, but god bless him for still trying to play at a high level. The lack of safety depth, and no corners. This team needs to be rebuilt defensively with a new defensive coordinator. RG3 will be just fine. HTTR!!

39. dcstinks says: Nov 21, 2013 3:41 PM

logicalvoicesays says:
    Nov 21, 2013 8:53 AM
    Leave the best QB in Football alone.
    ==============================

They aren’t talking about Peyton.

40. acasar123 says: Nov 22, 2013 9:16 PM

The only way RGIII has a chance to succeed is if he’s a scrambling freak because the kid definetly can’t make it as pocket passer!