Matt McGloin: Hard work pays off

mcgloin AP

Not only did most people think heading into this year’s NFL draft that Matt McGloin wasn’t good enough to be an NFL quarterback, but there were a lot of people who said during his career at Penn State that McGloin wasn’t even good enough to be a college quarterback. But here McGloin is, midway through his rookie season, as the Raiders’ starter.

McGloin views himself as evidence that hard work gets rewarded.

“It feels good that all the preparation and hard work has paid off,” McGloin said. “I’m glad that coaching staff has faith in me and trust in me, and I know the team does as well.”

Last week McGloin started because Terrelle Pryor was hurt. This week Raiders coach Dennis Allen made clear that McGloin is starting simply because Allen believes McGloin has surpassed Pryor as the quarterback who gives the team the best chance to win. But McGloin says things aren’t awkward with Pryor.

“Terrelle and I have a healthy relationship,” McGloin said. “I don’t think it really matters who starts. Guys are going to help out, Tyler [Wilson] helps out too, we all try to help each other out on a daily basis. At the end of the day, the most important thing is getting a win.”

McGloin helped the Raiders get one win, and he’ll try for another on Sunday. For a guy who wasn’t viewed as an NFL talent, he’s off to a good start.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Matt McGloin: Hard work pays off”
  1. joetoronto says: Nov 21, 2013 7:43 AM

He’s already better than Alex Smith.

2. hollymolley says: Nov 21, 2013 8:00 AM

Seems to be the kids story. Never good enough. Bill O’Brien must have ( with some controversy ) saw something in him. What ever it was Matt was given the team, and did a respectable job. And now Matt ( never good enough ) is about to start his SECOND NFL game at QB. Not quite good enough, but not to shabby……

3. goraidersgospurs says: Nov 21, 2013 8:03 AM

I will not hate on any Raiders players, but let’s give the kid some more games to prove his self if he finsh out the season, strong then I will be his #1 fan!!!

4. larry3gd says: Nov 21, 2013 8:04 AM

No bang on either kid! Both are hard workers, but reading Wikipedia on McGloin say one thing, “WINNER”

5. nflofficeadmin says: Nov 21, 2013 8:24 AM

If he can produce wins, that’s all that matters. So far he has one.

6. daviericky says: Nov 21, 2013 8:40 AM

Pat McGroin? I feel like I’m living in an episode of the Simpsons.

7. Raider-in-PA says: Nov 21, 2013 9:39 AM

PSU alum here, but not a PSU football fan… I didnt think the kid had a chance of even making the roster, but looked solid in the pre-season and has great accuracy!

Matt’s quick release helps out the play of this porous O-line. Also, by sustaining drives and keeping the Raiders D off the field, helps a defense which isnt too shabby in itself…

All I can say is what a pleasant surprise, congrats to Matt and…..

JUST WIN BABY!!

8. wisconsinhillfolk says: Nov 21, 2013 9:40 AM

Awesome! Keep on cranking that Matt Flynn Machine!

9. nonetruerthanblue says: Nov 21, 2013 10:46 AM

Can he play more than one game before he gets so much praise?

10. bobzilla1001 says: Nov 21, 2013 1:02 PM

McGloin never realized his potential at Penn State until he was tutored by Bill O’Brien.
    Even though this kid had to endure one of the most chaotic and turbulent scenarios in college football history, he remained a team leader throughout.
    McGloin is a fierce competitor who has a penchant for throwing picks. But he never has had anything handed to him, and that in itself makes him unique in today’s NFL.

11. bsmiley00 says: Nov 21, 2013 1:22 PM

lol. Sustained drives? You guys do know the Raiders punted 11 times last week right?

12. Raider Jon says: Nov 21, 2013 6:07 PM

This dude is a scraper, but can he be consistant. I hope so. Great back story.

13. raiderapologist says: Nov 21, 2013 6:38 PM

bsmiley00 says: Nov 21, 2013 1:22 PM

—–
    I thought that was how many drops his receivers had.