McNabb denies treating Shawn Andrews poorly

donovan-mcnabb-hall-of-fame-e1340959735359 Getty Images

In the aftermath of the Jonathan Martin situation in Miami, former Eagles offensive lineman Shawn Andrews said he was “disgusted” by the treatment he received from former Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb.

McNabb apparently is disgusted by Andrews’ disgust.

Unbelievable, man.  Unbelievable,” McNabb said on his NBC Sports Radio show, via Philly.com.  “You know what? When my name gets brought up, it’s a lightning rod.  And for me and this whole bullying situation, right now, it’s a sensitive topic, and one that, that I don’t agree with.

“For everything that I’ve been questioned for in Philadelphia, and then now you come out and say, you point the finger directly at me, like I’m the one that’s ruined your career?”

Andrews originally addressed the situation on November 8 with 97.5 The Fanatic.  Earlier this week, he elaborated in an interview with Sync Weekly.

“I just felt like I was in a living hell,” said Andrews, who also claimed McNabb and other Eagles spread rumors that Andrews is gay.

“I could be sitting in the players’ lounge with a group, having some laughs, and he’d get his say in so the attention can shift,” Andrews said of McNabb.  “He was the type of person that had everything in the world he could want, but that still wasn’t enough.  He wanted the attention on him.  There was a whole lot of that behavior.  He wasn’t just that way with me. I’m thinking, ‘Every day I strap on my shoulder pads and helmet, I’m here to protect you.’”

Andrews said the rumors of his sexuality were so strong that he showered alone in order to avoid suspicions that he was ogling his teammates.

“If you want to question someone, I’d see guys in the shower talking face to face,” Andrews said.  “If you want to go further, I’ve even seen a teammate piss on another teammate.  They think it’s funny.  They are having a conversation and the whole time one guy is peeing on him and the other doesn’t even know.  This is the stuff that goes on, and I am the one having to defend myself.  There were a lot of immature dudes on the team.”

Apparently, there are a lot of immature dudes in the league.  Some surely see it as one of the benefits of playing a sport for a living.  And that’s fine, as long as they respect their teammates and, more important, the non-players with whom they interact while at work.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
29 Responses to “McNabb denies treating Shawn Andrews poorly”
  1. docboss says: Nov 21, 2013 11:06 PM

What is this, junior high school?

2. Foghorn The IKonoclast says: Nov 21, 2013 11:15 PM

I am disgusted by Donovan being disgusted at Andrews for being disgusted with McNabb. In fact, I am disgusted with myself for being disgustingly disgusted with this whole mess.

3. benh999 says: Nov 21, 2013 11:18 PM

“I’ve even seen a teammate piss on another teammate. They think it’s funny.”

I do too.

4. tfbuckfutter says: Nov 21, 2013 11:26 PM

Not to miss the forest for the trees but….

I’ve never showered with dudes. I have showered with females.

And it is hilarious to pee on them.

Sometimes I pee on my wife when she’s in the shower and I’m not.

5. nfl4days says: Nov 21, 2013 11:45 PM

Getting bullied by McNabb? Lmao.

6. tooz72 says: Nov 21, 2013 11:49 PM

didn’t George Costanza pee in the mens shower at the Gym one time?

7. vbe2 says: Nov 21, 2013 11:54 PM

I believe Andrews.

8. eagles512 says: Nov 22, 2013 12:14 AM

Andrews needs some help. Guy is a little messed up. Hope he gets it.

9. rajbais says: Nov 22, 2013 12:34 AM

Well, Alex Rodriguez told Katie Couric in 2007 that he’s never used PEDs.

How did that work for him?

10. orivar says: Nov 22, 2013 12:40 AM

“When my name gets brought up, it’s a lightning rod. ”

We’re getting close guys, we’re getting close. He’s breaking! He’s starting to rant about all the times his name gets brought up. In ten more years he might go into a full tirade, maybe, we can do it!

11. tdubdizzle says: Nov 22, 2013 1:15 AM

Mcnabb and RG3 are a lot a like.

12. lennydpocketqb says: Nov 22, 2013 2:21 AM

I never thought McNabb was a good person and I’m willing to believe this faceless player at his word.

13. gcounterman says: Nov 22, 2013 2:22 AM

Seriously, can Donovan McNabb just go away?

14. ronmexicothecoachkiller says: Nov 22, 2013 2:25 AM

” I’ve even seen a teammate piss on another teammate. They think it’s funny.”

What teammate was pissing on everyone? Everyone should know who this is. Embarrass the piss out of him. Let him explain why he thinks a grown man pissing on another grown men in the shower is so funny.

15. antneejay2 says: Nov 22, 2013 3:08 AM

Andrews isn’t lying. McNabb is lying.

16. nathpz says: Nov 22, 2013 3:12 AM

Wait, where is the denial? I don’t see him saying “I never did that.”

He says “When my name gets brought up, it’s a lightning rod. And for me and this whole bullying situation, right now, it’s a sensitive topic, and one that, that I don’t agree with.”

In the article he also says ““Why would I want to talk bad to others that are out there and then question your sexuality? Does that make sense to you at all? And why is this coming out now? It’s unbelievable. I just talked to a reporter from Philadelphia, and I’m just like, ‘Are you serious? Why don’t you just talk to the rest of the teammates and find out what’s going on.’”

I don’t see a denial here. If he didn’t do it, saying “I didn’t do it” should be easy, no?

17. kd75 says: Nov 22, 2013 3:15 AM

I am with this guy. I ain’t showering in a room full of naked dudes.

I can wait until everyone else is done. I am in no rush.

Then give me five minutes under hot water and I can finish up at home. Alone.

18. eaglefan94 says: Nov 22, 2013 3:22 AM

I’m not saying McNabb is the greatest guy ever, but Shawn Andrews is a known head case. This whole story doesn’t make sense. Why would a quarterback “bully” his offensive lineman, the guy who is supposed to be protecting him?

19. captainwisdom8888 says: Nov 22, 2013 4:01 AM

Shawn Andrews consistently displayed nothing but mental weakness and underachieved mightily in his short career. He was the type of guy who you just felt embarrassed for…and embarrassed for the organization for choosing to employ such a massive man with zero degree of toughness. He is exactly the type of guy who would take this chance to jump on the bully-bandwagon claiming to be a victim. I wanna call him pathetic but that just doesn’t do it a justice…

20. muhangis says: Nov 22, 2013 5:22 AM

this stuff is just getting out of hand. McNabb is one of those that did stick up for Martin though. Andrews might just have an axe to grind w/ the former leader of that team McNabb, nothing more.

I guess 2013 is the year in the NFL of bullying accusations popping up.

21. vontazemebro says: Nov 22, 2013 5:41 AM

Where’s Mama McNabb when you need her?

22. dtr3e says: Nov 22, 2013 5:56 AM

Surprise, surprise. ofcourse McNabb denied it

23. nickynick04 says: Nov 22, 2013 6:13 AM

McNabb use to get so upset when he had to deal with Brett Favre comparisons.
    HE always said he was better then Favre.
    Yea , in his own mind.
    McNabb is an Ass . A choke artist and a very bad tipper.

24. nokoolaidcowboy says: Nov 22, 2013 6:56 AM

I think McNabb treated EVERYONE poorly. That’s why there aren’t too many guys standing up for him.

He’s that guy at work that just doesn’t have a winning personality.

25. itsnotforme says: Nov 22, 2013 7:37 AM

Has anyone who ever played with McNabb said he was a great team mate? MeNabb has always been all about himself. No suprises about Andrews comments.

26. PFT=crap says: Nov 22, 2013 8:01 AM

nokoolaidcowboy says:
    Nov 22, 2013 6:56 AM

He’s that guy at work that just doesn’t have a winning personality.
    ======================================

Most likely a combination of this plus Andrews not fitting into the typical locker room culture.

For what it’s worth, we thought it was funny if we could get away with pissing on someone in the showers while talking to them and without them noticing. Then again this was high school football, not grown ass men.

27. leanback360 says: Nov 22, 2013 8:35 AM

If that’s the kind of behaviour the eagles like, they should sign R Kelly

28. tmatic74 says: Nov 22, 2013 9:46 AM

Number 5 will always love you!!!

29. eagles512 says: Nov 22, 2013 11:37 AM

Do people just make stuff up? No one is supporting McNabb? I saw Westbrook and Reese come out right away on his behalf and others since. And then another asking McNabb to go away? Like he brought this up.