Michael Crabtree could still be a few weeks away

Super Bowl XLVII - Baltimore Ravens v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

Sometime in the next six days, the 49ers will add wide receiver Michael Crabtree back to the 53-man roster.

But according to Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com, it might still be several weeks before he takes the field.

As with the case of Percy Harvin in Seattle, the 49ers pulled back a bit on Crabtree’s activity after his first week of practice, rather than risk a setback as he recovers from a torn Achilles. Once he practiced on Nov. 5, he started the clock on the 21-day window to activate him from the physically unable to perform list or shut him down for the season.

Of course, he could still end up on the field as soon as Monday, but the pace of his work at recent practices points to a slower process, and they could always just deactivate him on game days for a few weeks if they need to.

Losing two straight might increase the urgency, especially with the passing game in shambles, but getting him back to 100 percent should still be their priority.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
21 Responses to “Michael Crabtree could still be a few weeks away”
  1. jayniner says: Nov 21, 2013 12:52 PM

You’re screwing with my fantasy football roster this week…..

2. buckybadger says: Nov 21, 2013 1:15 PM

If he gets on the field this year I will be impressed.

3. sfniners4life says: Nov 21, 2013 1:21 PM

He can take his time long as he back for playoff time.

4. assuredmutualdestruction says: Nov 21, 2013 1:26 PM

Please be back by December 8th. It’ll be that much sweeter when Seattle rolls Frisco again.

5. goldrush36 says: Nov 21, 2013 1:36 PM

Getting Crabs back will be great, but Roman still can’t scheme a passing game. IE all of this season, or running the same play 3 times in a row to lose the superbowl. Time for Harbaugh to take a page from big brother. Get rid of Roman and Mangini

6. tommymomoney says: Nov 21, 2013 1:36 PM

Niners are being evasive about his status hoping that their opponents will waste time game planning for him. He’s coming off a completely torn achilles, very tough injury for a WR to come back from. He may take some snaps week 16-17 best case, but I’d be surprised even by that.

7. zam0854 says: Nov 21, 2013 1:52 PM

If SF dont get it together, they will be watching the playoffs from their couches…it will be the ultimate FAIL for this years team and ultimate ‘Slap In The Face’ from their northern division foe…Arizona is taking advantage of every chance SF gives them

8. allidoiswin55 says: Nov 21, 2013 1:54 PM

He probably shouldn’t come back until week 14 or 15 to get a couple games under his belt assuming the niners make the playoffs this year. He would be a huge boost come playoff time. With the division almost certainly going to my team Seattle he shouldn’t rush back bc it’s likely he pushes it too far. Better for him or any other border line player to try their best to wait as long as possible and have faith that the niners will get the job done.

I’m hoping for a full recovery and although I like best against best I don’t see him helping much against Seattle straight off of an injury, if anything that’s the worst possible match up to come back against.

Good luck crab, go seahawks!!

9. ratsfoiledagain says: Nov 21, 2013 1:54 PM

assuredmutualdestruction says: Nov 21, 2013 1:26 PM

—————-
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the 9ers win that game.
    Both teams are good enough to hold serve at home. To be honest, I could see these two splitting the season series for the next few years.

10. thegrigga49 says: Nov 21, 2013 1:57 PM

If Crabtree returns to form, the 49ers will return to and win The Super Bowl.

11. assuredmutualdestruction says: Nov 21, 2013 2:24 PM

@ratsfoiledagain

I don’t see a frisco win on Dec 8…they haven’t shown me enough to think that a healthy Seattle team won’t come in there and mop them up. They still have elite players at certain positions, but they also have a regressing qb, aging rb, and nonexistent wr corp. Seattle is the team to beat, and frisco’s deficiencies on offense are going to cost them against a Seahawks team that has an ELITE defense and is starting to roll.

12. mf1849 says: Nov 21, 2013 2:47 PM

The game at SanFran should be epic. Naturally, I hope my Hawks blow them out, but I expect it to be back and forth. Ordinarily, I would be rooting for the 49ers to lose this weekend, but thanks to Logicalvoicesays, I’m temporarily a San Francisco fan on Sunday.

13. thegrigga49 says: Nov 21, 2013 3:35 PM

This team reminds me of last years Ravens. I fully expect them to win the NFC again. Nobody wants to see this team coming to their house come playoff time i can guerentee that.

14. assuredmutualdestruction says: Nov 21, 2013 3:39 PM

I would nine times out of ten give this weeks game to frisco, but I have this strange feeling Wash. is going to try to rally together one last time…do or die type of thing. So don’t overlook this game niners because you’re going to get the best shot from a wounded team at home. And that road crowd CAN be a factor for Kaep (as we all know by now).

Then again, the skins D will probably make Kaep look like (fools)gold again.

15. pmars64 says: Nov 21, 2013 5:00 PM

I don’t see how Crabtree can be a factor at all this season, including the post-season. Achilles tears are major injuries and some don’t ever recover fully.

I’m a Browns fan (and really don’t like the Niners) and I’m glad the trade didn’t happen, but the Niners should have bitten the bullet and over-paid for Josh Gordon. The kid is a major talent. He has issues and his next misstep could result in year long suspension, but the Niners D (the best in the league in my opinion), Kap, Gore, etc., deserve better this season than what the Niners currently have at WR. I don’t see how they win the SB with their current group of WRs.

16. adderal says: Nov 21, 2013 6:29 PM

I wish I could disagree with assuredmutualdestruction but I am not seeing much lately to think that is a wrong assessment.
    Im still not sure how much a factor Crabtree will be coming off that injury.

17. ratsfoiledagain says: Nov 21, 2013 6:33 PM

assuredmutualdestruction says: Nov 21, 2013 2:24 PM

@ratsfoiledagain

*************
    You could have said that about Seattle last year early in the season about their passing game, and their team as a whole. Look what happened in the second half of the season. Sea was 4-4, then won 7 of 8.

I’m a Seahawk fan. The game is a couple of weeks away. Sea may very well win, and probably should, with how things are going right now. But, like I stated, I wouldn’t be surprised if the 9ers win. However, you would be.

18. adderal says: Nov 21, 2013 8:46 PM

@ratsfoiledagain

If SF looks like they do right now Id give them not much of a shot Dec 8th

I am hoping they can pull it together these next couple weeks and pull it off. The team doesn’t really discuss Seattle any more then any other team but just like when the Giants beat them twice I’m sure there quietly itching to get payback.
    The good news is both teams are run well and should be completive for years to come

19. rogerrodgers says: Nov 21, 2013 9:46 PM

He should really worry too much about playing this season because the Niners will probably not make the playoffs.

20. ratsfoiledagain says: Nov 22, 2013 12:24 PM

adderal says: Nov 21, 2013 8:46 PM

@ratsfoiledagain

If SF looks like they do right now Id give them not much of a shot Dec 8th

******************
    Your last sentence is what I was trying relay, and why I think both team can win at home. There will be games the visiting team gets a W but, it won’t be often. At least for some time. That is unless coach H doesn’t right the ship soon.

21. bannerdog says: Nov 24, 2013 10:45 PM

Crabtree and the Niners should do whatever optimizes his effectiveness for the playoffs (unless he risks re-injury by playing this season at all).

Injuries have cost them any real shot at taking the division.

However, I like their chances in the playoffs if they get healthy, and Crabtree gets a couple of games under his belt before then.

Of course, making the playoffs could be a problem.

Last two games, Niners were leading, only to lose after an injury knocked a key player out of the game.

Obviously, other teams have injury problems also.

I’d love to see what the standings would be if a magic wand could have made all players completely healthy for every game.