Michael Vick says Nick Foles should remain starter

Eagles Raiders Football AP

Michael Vick started the season as the starting quarterback of the Philadelphia Eagles before injuries gave the job to Nick Foles for five of the last six games.

Foles has the Eagles offense rolling in Vick’s absence. He’s completing nearly 64-percent of his passes and has thrown 16 touchdowns and zero interceptions. Philadelphia is 4-1 in five starts by Foles this season.

Vick is getting closer to being back to full health but even he says the Eagles have to stick with Foles as their starting quarterback.

“In all honesty, in all fairness, how can you take a guy out of the game who’s been playing so well?” Vick said during his weekly appearance on 94 WIP, via CSNPhilly.com.

“I’ve been in this stage before, and I know what it’s like. I understand the position that this team is in, and the one thing I never want to do is be a distraction or put our team or our coaches in a position where they feel like they’re not doing the right thing or I feel like they’re not doing the right thing.

“I trust what’s going on, I enjoy being a part of it, I love the game of football in general. So it’s important to me to be there in support and be ready if my name and number is called again.”

Foles is under contract beyond this season. Vick isn’t. The Eagles offense is performing with Foles under center. Philadelphia was 2-4 in six games started by Vick. It’s an obvious decision. Vick understands that.

“He can potentially be a starter in this league for a long time. It’s just about timing, as of right now. As long as he keeps doing what he’s doing, he’s going to continue to build that case,” Vick said.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
53 Responses to “Michael Vick says Nick Foles should remain starter”
  1. patsarethegoat says: Nov 22, 2013 12:01 AM

Doing exactly what he should be doing.

Bravo

2. crs334 says: Nov 22, 2013 12:02 AM

Say what you want about Vick, but he’s had a team first mentality ever since he joined the eagles.

3. phillyfreak24 says: Nov 22, 2013 12:10 AM

Very classy move by Vick. Bravo!

4. kicksave1980 says: Nov 22, 2013 12:10 AM

I freely admit that I don’t like Mike Vick because of his past, but at least he’s saying the right things here. Whether he really feels that way or not, publicly backing up your teammates goes a long way.

5. vbe2 says: Nov 22, 2013 12:11 AM

Vick already knows that his time in Philly has ended, he’s trying to lay the groundwork for his next team, to show that he’s a ‘good teammate’.

6. floriohatesthebirds says: Nov 22, 2013 12:13 AM

Calling all Vick haters…..

7. seahawksbmx says: Nov 22, 2013 12:18 AM

Classy thing to say. Good teammate. He’ll always get the hate, but he’s grown up a lot from what I’ve seen the past couple years.

8. hines86for6 says: Nov 22, 2013 12:25 AM

classy Mike Vick for the win.

exactly what I would want to hear from a backup QB.

9. jctone says: Nov 22, 2013 12:34 AM

Hats off to Michael Vick!

This is very classy and professional. I know he wants to compete and be the starter, but is watching out for Eagles instead of himself. He has changed as a player and a person.

Good luck Eagles, Foles, and Mr. Vick!

10. mancave001 says: Nov 22, 2013 12:38 AM

As a Michael Vick hater for a long time, I’ve long said that he’s turned his life and attitude around. This is further proof. Well said.

11. winorlose6burgh says: Nov 22, 2013 12:42 AM

He knows he’s almost out the door he’ll be in Cleveland next year lol

12. slick3 says: Nov 22, 2013 12:43 AM

Now that’s what I call being proactive. Of course, Vick could also be engaging in a little reverse psychology hoping Foles’ conscience will affect him to the point of developing guilt feelings for replacing such a ‘nice and gracious guy’and further affect the way Foles plays thus opening the door for Vick’s re-entrance as the starter once again. Only a genius could devise such a cunning plan and….nah.

13. bbwasright says: Nov 22, 2013 12:44 AM

Bravo, Vick. Perhaps you have grown up. I’m sorry that translates to you moving on, but I am really impressed!

14. bandoy767 says: Nov 22, 2013 12:55 AM

Well said Vick! He’s really matured since his ego days in Atlanta.

15. orivar says: Nov 22, 2013 1:00 AM

He’s become a good team player. Say what you want but McNabb lobbying for him and studying with him (along with the whole jail thing) has helped changed him around. Old Vick wouldn’t be saying anything close to this. This type of mentality helps in the long run too in life.

16. spyder9669 says: Nov 22, 2013 1:05 AM

Very classy statement that he didn’t have to make. well done.

17. lofty35 says: Nov 22, 2013 1:14 AM

I applaud Michael, he has grown up so unbelievably much over the course of his career. He is making the most of his second chance in the NFL and has done a wonderful job embracing it. Much respect

18. doe22us says: Nov 22, 2013 1:20 AM

Why rock the boat and pout, Vick is positioning himself to be brought back to Philly as a back-up to Foles. From what i heard they make a pretty penny.

19. funktron2x says: Nov 22, 2013 1:22 AM

I don’t know if he’s sincere or not, but mad credit for him saying all that in public regardless.

20. gettingpwned says: Nov 22, 2013 1:24 AM

Cue Marcus Vick idiot twitter comment in 3, 2, 1…

21. kanemoney says: Nov 22, 2013 1:38 AM

Aka “I’m still getting paid”

22. soflosportsfan says: Nov 22, 2013 1:41 AM

Regardless of your opinion of Vick, at least he has said and done all the right things on and off the field since being caught with that horrific crime.

This kind of attitude will keep you employed. Take notes Mark Sanchez.

23. alskdh says: Nov 22, 2013 1:50 AM

No he should not

24. andrewluck12 says: Nov 22, 2013 1:51 AM

vick seems like hes genuinely changed his life around. good for him. takes a lot to take a back seat to the kid taking your job.

25. jsp418 says: Nov 22, 2013 1:59 AM

Vick has really become a great teammate since coming to Philly. I’m not surprised he said this at all. Foles would say the same thing. I seriously don’t think the Foles-Vick friendship is just fabricated.

26. henryjones20 says: Nov 22, 2013 2:12 AM

I really think vick has changed as a person. can only hope all the losers who have never sinned in their lives can move on and find someone else to bash.

27. o0omorriso0o says: Nov 22, 2013 2:31 AM

whether you like him or hate him. You gotta be impressed with how great Vick is handling this situation. And to be honest. Vick is a very good quarterback coming in cold off the bench when a defense hasnt prepaired for him. Good insurance policy if Foles gets hurt in a game. Id feel very confident if vick went in for foles in the middle of a game. Catch the defense off guard for sure…

28. therealraider says: Nov 22, 2013 2:45 AM

That’s sad. Man just wants to get paid.. Cut em Mick.

29. bigben302013 says: Nov 22, 2013 2:51 AM

Kudos for him!

30. ezwriter69 says: Nov 22, 2013 3:33 AM

No one was more outspoken in condemning Michael Vick for his crime than I was. I still think about him putting neighbors dogs in the pit with his dogs for practice killing, etc.
    But I have to say, and I truly never thought I would.
    Michael Vick is either the best actor on the face of the earth- and I just don’t think he has that in him- or he is the most changed individual I have ever seen in public life. I don’t know of another starter in the league who would make that statement he just made, even Tebow wasn’t that free of ego. Michael Vick said that, and seems genuinely to mean it? Wow. I never would have believed it, I still have to have 0.01 percent skepticism, but wow. I really don’t think any more that he’s running a con. I think it’s real. I think he’s changed.
    All props, as they said back in the day. Wow.

31. seaeagle707 says: Nov 22, 2013 3:50 AM

Classiest thing I’ve ever heard from the mouth of Vick. No doubt that’s what all the QB-needy HC’s around the league are thinking too.

32. thecapitalball says: Nov 22, 2013 3:59 AM

In all honesty and in all fairness!

This makes me like Vick a lot more.

33. olcap says: Nov 22, 2013 4:38 AM

Could it be that Michael is actually learning humility?

34. jfuzman says: Nov 22, 2013 4:47 AM

Vick did some inexcusably horrid stuff before arriving in Philly, but he has appeared to be a clubhouse leader and all-around class act since he arrived. This could, of course, all be a well-crafted public relations facade, but if it is, he is pulling it off with aplomb. He might not have the same spring in his step and probably won’t lead the team to significant victories, but I have been impressed with Vick ways that I never expected.

35. wayne1693 says: Nov 22, 2013 5:27 AM

MV may not be popular with Fans, but he has more integrity and honesty than 95% of the Players…Dog-Fighting case be damned.

36. tsmarriner says: Nov 22, 2013 6:10 AM

I gotta give credit to Vick – he’s been very classy throughout this whole process.

37. seabreezes51 says: Nov 22, 2013 6:17 AM

Vick could stay in the league as a back up QB that has all sorts of scary potential for another seven years.

38. rugbyisbetter says: Nov 22, 2013 6:23 AM

Let’s give credit where credit is due. Good job Vick for being supportive of the team and coaches and not trying to make a good run turn into something about himself. This is probably the first statement from him where he is not declaring himself as the best and it probably took alot of eff ort to do so.

Good job Mike, now get healthy so we have some depth

39. groleo45 says: Nov 22, 2013 6:47 AM

Obviously Vick has had some major screw-ups, but since he’s been out of prison you can’t say he’s been anything but class. Takes a man to admit you aren’t the best option for the team.

40. stinkfist5 says: Nov 22, 2013 6:59 AM

I’m not a Mike Vick fan by any means. However, it’s hard to ignore how good of a teammate he’s been this season. First Riley Cooper, now Nick Foles. Bravo sir.

41. arwiv says: Nov 22, 2013 7:33 AM

Im happy for MV….he seems to have definitely turned a corner in his life. With that said, as a Giants fan I have to hope that the league gets Foles figured out quickly. The cowboys are just too banged up now to be a challenge….they will continue to slide. The skins are a hot mess that don’t appear to be able to recover this year. The Eagles look like the real deal right now. 4 of their last 5 are no gimmes though.

If after Dec 1 the eagles and giants are tied, I think the Giants win the division.

42. richiebburg says: Nov 22, 2013 8:18 AM

Just to think if he would have had this attitude the whole time he was in the NFL what could have been. I’m sure Mike will get his chance next year on another team.

43. ghent32 says: Nov 22, 2013 8:55 AM

I know the guy had his past indiscretions, but this is an amazing thing to say, truly.

What a team guy…you DO NOT see this in sports, so selfless. REFRESHING.

44. doctorart2013 says: Nov 22, 2013 9:48 AM

Mike wants to keep playing in the NFL after this season, plus he knows he couldn’t play at the level Foles is playing at in a 100 years.

45. myeaglescantwin says: Nov 22, 2013 11:15 AM

as always.

the new vick is nothing but class.
    this pretty much means he will be in buffalo or any other place that has the RB/QB scheme in 2014.
    . . . as a backup

46. richardmswartz says: Nov 22, 2013 11:48 AM

Thank you Michael Vick. Well said. Focus on getting healthy now, you’re only a play a way.

Its funny now that he said that I feel more confident in Vick in case he is called upon if Foles goes down one way of the other.

47. tigrrrr says: Nov 22, 2013 1:06 PM

Oh puke… To all those giving Vick praise. He’s a piece of garbage. The only thing good here is he is soon to be out of the league!

Karma bit him in his A$$!!

48. eaglesnd18 says: Nov 22, 2013 3:11 PM

That’s why Karma awarded him with a $100 million dollar contract? Tigrrrr stop judging other people you piece of garbage.

49. tedesco47 says: Nov 22, 2013 4:53 PM

Vick is 2-4 in starts this season.
    I’d like to see Foles’ record if he started against the Chiefs and Broncos.
    If Vick was healthy for Tampa and a rodgers-less packers and washington again, and if Foles had to play Denver and KC, wanna know what their records would be?
    Vick would be 5-2
    And Foles would be 2-3

All I’m saying is this, Vick and Foles production this season is masked by opponents. Vick has two interceptions (against #1 defence in the league), while Foles has none.
    Foles completion percentage is higher. But vick has about 300 yards on the ground.
    Vick also would not have put up a dud in that cowboys game, which could likely cost the Eagles the division.

Foles has been awesome, and I am happy for that. But Vick absolutely gives them the best chance to win. Do you think the Cowboys are scared to face Foles in week 17?? No, they are scared of a healthy Vick. I can promise you that.

50. eagleswillrule says: Nov 22, 2013 6:04 PM

tedesco- for real? This kid tied the NFL record with a whopping seven touchdown game a couple of weeks ago and you think the Cowgirls are afraid of Vick? Ha Ha Ha….Let me tell you something son, The Cowgirls are about 1000 times more afraid to face Foles a second time because they know that game was anomaly and he’s been practically lights out ever since that one bad outing. Do you even watch Vick and Foles play?? The difference is night and day. Foles decision making and accuracy and timing are worlds better than Vick, even on his best day.

51. tigrrrr says: Nov 23, 2013 10:02 AM

@eaglesnd18

It was the foolish eagle org, that fell for that 100 mill contract. ( btw, how’s that working for you? LOL)
    There was no need for me to judge Vick, everyone knows what he is already except a few fans that still refuse to read about what kind of person he is.

52. eaglesnd18 says: Nov 23, 2013 5:48 PM

@tigrrrr and what kind of person is he? I’m reading right here, the same article as you are and it is apparent that he is not a piece of garbage as you are saying he is.

53. jrmalo23 says: Nov 25, 2013 10:25 AM

Was it even in question who the starter should be? Even if Vick wanted it back, there’s no logical reasoning to have him back at the helm. Even LogicalVoiceSays would agree with that.