Reggie Bush promises he won’t fumble again

0e4d7a1f27911eb7b85a088bfb5e3e9a AP

Lions running back Reggie Bush claims he’s a mudder and now he’s promising he won’t be a fumbler.

Bush lost a fumble against the Steelers last Sunday, although coach Jim Schwartz said that wasn’t the reason why he wound up on the bench for much of the second half of the 37-27 loss. That may be, but the Lions would surely prefer that Bush not turn the ball over and Bush promised Wednesday that he wouldn’t let it happen again while explaining why he’s fumbled three times already this season.

“Just not thinking enough. Not protecting the ball. Not being aware enough of my surroundings, protecting the ball,” Bush said, via ESPN.com. “Actually, the last game, when I fumbled, I was protecting it as I was going down, I just didn’t squeeze it tight enough. That just comes with me mentally, constantly reminding myself, all week throughout practice, of making sure I’m high and tight — whether I’m going through the hole or whether it’s after practice [and] I’m doing a couple extra drills. Just little things like that. Those are the things that will help me to make sure that doesn’t happen again. And it won’t happen again.”

Bush followed up by saying yes when asked if he was making a guarantee that’s probably not going to resonate as much as Broadway Joe’s. Bush and the Lions would probably settle for it being just as successful, though, since Bush is otherwise on track for a very productive first season in Detroit.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Reggie Bush promises he won’t fumble again”
  1. doctorrustbelt says: Nov 21, 2013 9:15 AM

Nothing says “mudder” like growing up in San Diego, going to college at Southern Cal, playing professionally in two domes and Miami, Florida.

2. nflofficeadmin says: Nov 21, 2013 9:15 AM

Bush is really blossoming into a beautiful flower in Detroit..

3. wannabear says: Nov 21, 2013 9:16 AM

yeah right! heard that last year in Miami

4. erock27 says: Nov 21, 2013 9:24 AM

Dont make promises you cant keep

5. jetsjetsjetsnow says: Nov 21, 2013 9:27 AM

Good luck with that…

6. titusyoungslegalcounsel says: Nov 21, 2013 9:42 AM

I promise Reggie Bush will break his promise

7. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Nov 21, 2013 9:50 AM

I respect where Bush is coming from, but no one who expects to touch a football in the NFL can ever reasonably assure they won’t cough the ball it up. Too many variables. Too many ways where’s it’s virtually impossible not to fumble – regardless of how careful one is with the football.

Gotta wish him well though – but no one can promise something like that.

8. annes22 says: Nov 21, 2013 10:21 AM

We all heard that in Miami and he did it several times last year, and got benched.
    That wasn’t in mud. He has a fumbling problem.

9. cornerstone2001 says: Nov 21, 2013 11:06 AM

Reggie, you you sound like Tommy Flanagan
    from Saturday nite live……yeah , that’t the ticket

10. pineflat711 says: Nov 21, 2013 11:22 AM

Does anyone believe that?

11. usmutts says: Nov 21, 2013 11:45 AM

Bush is a fumbler. If he weren’t he would still be in New Orleans.

12. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 21, 2013 12:00 PM

I’d rather Jim Schwartz promise not to blow a timeout or make a lame-brained strategy mistake. Those types of mistakes are totally inexcusable, unlike a fumble which sometimes you can’t do anything about. But the mental mistakes that are voluntary are the ones that really hurt the most. They can pierce your heart and really take the wind out of your sails, well if you take planning and strategy seriously.

13. ocdn says: Nov 21, 2013 12:00 PM

Reggie, I’m glad you play for my Lions. But don’t make promises you can’t keep. And I’m not saying this in a sarcastic way.

14. roarmachine8109 says: Nov 21, 2013 11:16 PM

Just knowing how much it bothers you makes it easy for us Lions fans to say don’t worry about it! We love u playing for Detroit and I hope you retire here. “On top of course! ” You have already given us a dynamic we haven’t had since Sanders! Just really glad your here!