Revis says he’ll be physical with “best in the league” Megatron

AP

Buccaneers cornerback Darrelle Revis is six inches shorter and 38 pounds lighter than Lions receiver Calvin Johnson. But Revis still thinks he can win a physical battle with Megatron.

Revis won the one-on-one battle with Johnson the only time they played, in 2010, when Johnson had just one catch for 13 yards in a loss to the Jets. Revis told reporters this week, as he prepares to face Johnson again, that bumping Johnson on the line of scrimmage is the way to get him off his game.

“My thought was always just to be physical with him,” Revis said. “No receiver wants to get jammed and pressed at the line, so just be physical with those guys and match what they bring to the table.”

Johnson acknowledged that physical play is something Revis does well, saying he noticed that as a strength of Revis’s when they faced each other previously.

“He’s a lot stronger than the normal corner you’ll face on a regular day,” Johnson said.

Although Revis thinks he can have success against Johnson, that doesn’t mean he doesn’t respect Johnson.

“He’s one of the best in the league — he’s the best,” Revis said. “He’s the best receiver in the league. I’ve played him before and I’m very familiar with him. I’m looking forward to it this week.”

Any fan who enjoys seeing two of the best players in football going head to head should be looking forward to it, too.

40 responses to “Revis says he’ll be physical with “best in the league” Megatron

1. Hush Revis, you’re no longer relevant. You’re becoming the epitome of what you despise, a player that boasts about themselves in order to appear relevant.

Don’t remember your words to Richard Sherman?

2. Is anyone acknowledging the obvious. Which is, that Calvin Johnson was three years younger and still learning his trade against a “peaking” Darrelle Revis?

Calvin Johnson is now a Grown Man.

3. legionofboom88 says: Nov 21, 2013 4:18 PM

Don’t remember your words to Richard Sherman?
    ————–

Right???

And then when Calvin goes for 8 and 140, the Sherman haters will line up with excuses, but claim that passes caught during practice on the Seahawks’ bye week were instances where Sherman got “burned.”

It doesn’t happen, people. Stop reaching. And Revis needs to stop being a hypocrite.

4. .

This hasn’t been Revis’ best year, but in fairness he’s a CB coming off major knee surgery. He’s admitted that he’s been less than 100%.

5. Hopefully Revis plays man coverage on him all game. He’s been playing in a zone all season so hasn’t been used to his strengths.

It’s a headline matchup. Let’s hope it happens.

6. Mr. Wright 212 says:
    Nov 21, 2013 4:26 PM
    legionofboom88 says: Nov 21, 2013 4:18 PM

Don’t remember your words to Richard Sherman?
    ————–

Right???

—————

I remember Jarius Wright burning Richard Sherman on a throw from Christian Ponder. The best receiver-QB pair in the league, obviously.

7. where is the revis hate come from? he has do nothing but good things for the bucs. role model in tampa. so my guess is that the hate comes from heartbroken jets fans.

8. Obviously noone that has commented has watched a single Bucs game recently or watched Revis play. He’s been getting stronger and stronger with each game. I think this is a great matchup. Two of the best in the business battling it out. Should make for some entertaining football.

To dcstinks: I think you meant to say “couldn’t” but I’m not sure. However, Revis didn’t cover Riley Cooper, and Jackson only got his catches when Revis was in a zone. But thanks for playing anyway.

9. Schwartz has preached over and over that the offense will take what the defense gives them. That along with Burleson being back leads me to believe that Burleson will have the big day.

10. Obviously noone that has commented has watched a single Bucs game recently or watched Revis play. He’s been getting stronger and stronger with each game. I think this is a great matchup. Two of the best in the business battling it out. Should make for some entertaining football.

==================================
    You are right I meant couldn’t. You are right he didnt cover Cooper. You are right in saying entertaining game, Watching Revis get his As* handed to him by one of the leagues best receivers.

11. People let their personal feelings about a player cloud their judgment of the player. Revis is the best man to man CB in the league when he’s right. Would I take the $16 millon dollar cap hit for him? Hell no.

12. Profootballfocus gets paid to look behind the numbers and take an in-depth look at each snap. They’ve said that Revis has been the best in the NFL this season. I trust their opinion over the madden-stat fans. Also, Sherman isn’t even top 3 in their rankings. Never knew that Seattle fans were as bitter as jets fans about Revis.

13. Most people are underestimating the physical strength and awareness of Revis.

Since Bill Sheridan finally moved him to man coverage QB’s haven’t been able to even look on the right side of the field. He’s still the best CB and the league and this matchup with Megatron will be a tough one…. but there is no one that would be able to limit him as much as Revis would.

14. megatron is no joke! he had a monster 2nd qtr. against my steelers. but ike taylor held him to no catches in the 2nd half! if you wanna know what happened. halftime adjustment by lebeau is what happened. there really is no way to shut him down. you just have to hope to contain him. wish the steelers had him. hes a beast!

15. The hate that Revis receives is comical, to say the least. He’s been nothing but the consummate professional on and off the football field, he always stays out of trouble, and he’s been a great addition to the Bucs secondary.

Will he hold Calvin Johnson to one catch? Unlikely, but that goes for any other CB in the league. Revis is still the best man corner in football and he’s been very effective on the field this season. I hope to see a well fought matchup between two of the all-time greats this Sunday.

16. Mevis isn’t half the player he was up in NY. Injury or no injury, it’s doesn’t matter, only production matters. Other than a handful of plays he hasn’t done much. He made his dough & to assure he gets it next year, he makes excuses that he isn’t at 100%. No one in the nfl is at 100% including megatron who has been battling injuries all season long. So when Mevis get torched by Megatron lets remember CJ is injured as well…in fact, Mevis is actually more healthy at this point.

17. bigbenownsthenfl says: Nov 21, 2013 5:07 PM

————-

Ike Taylor did nothing. Steelers were playing matchup zone on the back end in the 2nd half. Linehan didn’t adjust. Calvin made Taylor look like a rag doll until they match up with a safety or the outside linebacker.

18. Seriously, I can’t wait to watch this battle. Both players are top at their positions.

I’m a Lions fan and I hope that my team can get it together. This is going to be a tough game, just like I said about last week. Need to play a good, solid game. I don’t care about records, the Bucs are playing good football.

That being said, can all you reporters that never even watched the game when the Jets came to town in 2010 stop reiterating the same nonsense. Revis DID NOT and NEVER DID have one on one with Calvin, the entire game. It was very well broken down by Killer Kowalski. He had safety help on every play, as he should have. It doesn’t mean he didn’t play great, but stop with the one on one stuff. It’s also a touch unfair to evaluate a guys performance when the QB is still young and hurt and can’t make the throws he can at this stage. I think, and hope, the rematch is a little bit of a better measuring stick than the last time these teams met. And, no, Revis won’t have single, man coverage without help this time either. Only a complete moron would try that….See Ike last week in the second quarter and Carr the entire game almost against Dallas…not a great idea.

19. @jbos2012………Actually Desean beat Revis bad on this first touchdown. He even wanted double coverage over the top because he couldn’t cover him deep. Keep blaming every mistake on “he was in zone”. Us Eagle’s fans tried playing the card with Asomugha too until we realized this guy has lost it. Thanks for playing too!

20. Doesn’t matter Tampa so bad overall…I would be disapointed if lions don’t drop a 50 burger on them

21. riders008 says: Nov 21, 2013 7:13 PM

Joe Haden all pro corner

off topic, but i agree that Haden is a man on that field. Wouldn’t take him over Revis, but I’d look at him right after Revis.

22. I got mad respect for Revis and what he’s done at the position. Revis hasn’t had his last good game and I hope he plays well Sunday. With that being said, I’m a die hard Lions fan and I hope CJ Shreds him!

23. badmoonrison says:Nov 21, 2013 4:48 PM

Wow, what a physical mismatch. Its amazing Revis pretty much shut him down like that in 2010…
    __________________
    Didn’t he have like…Drew Stanton throwing to hit at that point?