Chip Kelly doesn’t miss his recruiting days at all

Chip Kelly, Riley Cooper, Nick Foles AP

The Eagles have a bye this weekend, close to the time when coach Chip Kelly was used to wrapping up regular seasons at Oregon.

But Kelly said this week there’s no way he’d trade another five weeks of regular season for the “break” that usually came before he’d take the Ducks to a bowl game in January.

My schedule, the day the season was over, was a lot worse than my schedule here because you’re planes, trains and automobiles recruiting from Sunday night until Friday afternoon and hustling back and practicing, getting a practice in Friday afternoon, practice Saturday, practice Sunday, get back on a plane and fly around the country chasing down recruits,” he said, via Sheil Kapadia of PhillyMag.com. “Maybe a misconception is when you’re a college coach and the last game is done and then the bowl game comes, you don’t have a month off. I would argue my schedule was more hectic from a recruiting standpoint than it was here.

“So I’m looking forward to being in the office every day and watching tape. That is the fun part of our job.”

While many college coaches have failed miserably making the transition, his preference for the football could be the thing that enables him to succeed where so many of his brethren have failed.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Chip Kelly doesn’t miss his recruiting days at all”
  1. nyeagles10 says: Nov 23, 2013 9:44 AM

2. quarterbackjudge says: Nov 23, 2013 9:49 AM

Fly Eagles Fly…

3. doctorrustbelt says: Nov 23, 2013 9:49 AM

Two Things Chip Kelly Doesn’t Miss:

1) Recruiting

2) Snacks

4. theworkhorsebackdotcom says: Nov 23, 2013 10:02 AM

Pretty sure that Pete Carroll said the same thing when he left USC after his recruiting scandal too

5. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Nov 23, 2013 10:04 AM

Sounds like everything Chip Kelly feigned as pleasure in meeting those kids – was actually perceived by him to be pure torture.

Probably better to play for a coach who is genuine.

Might make one wonder what other phonied up smile-and-laugh-in-front-of-your-face stuff Chip Kelly fakes as pleasure is actually torture to him.

6. henryjones20 says: Nov 23, 2013 10:25 AM

relax, he just said it was stressful. nothing against the kids but read into whatever u like I guess

7. harrisonhits2 says: Nov 23, 2013 10:50 AM

Its just a different kind of grind in the NFL.

So far I’d say he’s been successful at the NFL level. Its always the 2nd year the tells the tale though, after the NFL coordinators have more time to study film and make adjustments.

8. eatitfanboy says: Nov 23, 2013 10:56 AM

This is what I always think when people wonder why coaches would leave “cushy” college jobs for the NFL.

College coaches spend the majority of the year kissing the rear ends of 18 year old kids and pouting and preening in front of them like schoolgirls hoping the kids will think they’re the prettiest. Their entire careers literally rest on their ability to impress 18 year old boys.

I can see where that would get old.

9. cunninghampeetemcnabbvick says: Nov 23, 2013 10:59 AM

nyeagles10 says:
    Nov 23, 2013 9:44 AM
    you the da man chip. Great coaching on all sides of the field. Bill Davis as welll.

————————————————–

Bill Davis should be Coach of the Year if you ask me. I’ve been watching this game for over 20+ years and I’ve never seen a defense go from one of the worst ever to good in half a season. Remember how it was going to take 2 years to convert to a 3-4? I guess it only takes 6 games now.

I realize Andy Reid is probably going to win it (or Bruce Arians or Sean Payton), and he deserves to too, but that team already had the talent. Bill Davis and his staff have straight coached their players up.

10. kenny328usa says: Nov 23, 2013 11:06 AM

Luv u Chip. Screw you haters we have super bowls in our future. So keep talking

11. babych99 says: Nov 23, 2013 11:31 AM

In Chip We Trust

12. bender4700 says: Nov 23, 2013 11:53 AM

I’m sure the NCAA basically saying he’s not going to be doing any recruiting for a couple years even if he wanted to doesn’t factor into that feeling….

13. swu32733 says: Nov 23, 2013 11:54 AM

Chip neglected to mention that he now has far fewer financial resources at his disposal than he had at Nike U.

14. thirdistheworrd says: Nov 23, 2013 11:59 AM

With an NFL coach’s salary he doesn’t need boosters to buy him coke and strippers anymore.

15. Ram says: Nov 23, 2013 12:02 PM

Darin, you wrote, “Kelly would rather be drawing Xs and Os or researching ways to make his team better than criss-crossing the country convincing teenagers to wear a dozen different uniforms a year.”

You say that as an insult, but as a Ducks’ fan and alum, from what I have seen, that made his job that much easier in the recruiting department. Traditionalists mock that the Ducks’ would wear so many different types of uniforms, but in truth it was marketing genius on the Ducks’ part. I really like Chip, but it was known for a couple of years how much he didn’t like the recruiting part of the job. I hope he continues to be successful in the NFL and mini scandal aside, he left Oregon in great shape!

16. somekat says: Nov 23, 2013 12:39 PM

cunninghampeetemcnabbvick says: Nov 23, 2013 10:59 AM

nyeagles10 says:
    Nov 23, 2013 9:44 AM

————————————————–

_________________

They aren’t good, they just aren’t awful either. They are a middle of the road defense. I actually really like their line, solid, young guys across the board. But they still need to fix the 2nd OLB spot (Cole, as much as I love the guy, and Graham aren’t cutting it). The rest of the starting LB’s I like, but they need depth. Their corners and safeties are awful. I like Wolfe, but he’s still raw, and I like Boykin. Fletcher is ok at best, Williams is awful. Chung and Allen are terrible at safety (It’s not just a coincidence that they started playing better when Chung and Sapuaga stopped getting reps)

This D has some young talent, but it WILL be 2 years before they have all the pieces in place. They have a solid base, but the back side is still lacking. Meanwhile, they will probably add a few WR to compliment Jackson (Maclin could be one of them, but I would think he’s have to be willing to come back on the cheap after a down year last year and missing all of this year)

People seem to forget, chip was hired late. He didn’t get to make all the moves he really wanted to because he was so late in the game starting. There was a lot of talent on the offensive side that fit his system, although not much at the Wr spot once Maclin went down. But the defense had nobody that was suited, and had experience in the 3-4. Give them 2 years to get that experience (for the young guys) and complimenting with guys that fit the system on the back end, this team could be scary in 2 years

17. thirdistheworrd says: Nov 23, 2013 1:16 PM

cunninghampeetemcnabbvick says: Nov 23, 2013 10:59 AM

nyeagles10 says:
    Nov 23, 2013 9:44 AM

————————————————–

_______________________
    As much as I hate to admit it, Bill Davis should almost certainly be a coach of the year candidate for his scheme change and incredible personnel efficiency– 4-3/3-4 conversions almost always take two years. Especially considering that all of the Eagles players seemed like 4-3 specialists (Ryans was traded from Houston because he was thought to be a poor fit in their 3-4 conversion).

Even if we chalk some of it up to dumb luck (No one thought Trent Cole could jump to OLB that easily), Davis did an unbelievable job fielding an effective unit in half the time it was supposed to take. Still, we have to keep in mind that the Eagles D is 31st in the NFL in yds/game.

So I guess my point is that as impressive as Bill Davis has been, especially compared to what was expected, he gets an A+ in personnel management and scheme deign, but only a C- in execution and consistency. While he certainly wildly exceeded just about everyone’s expectations this season, he’s more building a monster for the future than winning a coaching award this year.

That said, while I would really appreciate the return of Juan Castillo, the Eagles are going to need to work hard to keep Davis around more than another year or two, as this guy is going to get head coaching offers left and right before you know it.

18. thirdistheworrd says: Nov 23, 2013 1:27 PM

thirdistheworrd says: Nov 23, 2013 11:59 AM

___________
    That’s not an attack on Kelly, that’s just a reality of college recruitment. I tagged along with one of my buddies on the basketball team when NC State brought him in. The show they put on for even three or four star recruits is absolute insanity. Coaches will do whatever it takes to get the players they want, especially since all the money comes from the boosters. And in case everyone in America wasn’t already aware, boosters willfully refuse to know everything that’s happening behind the scenes in their athletic departments.

19. thirdistheworrd says: Nov 23, 2013 1:37 PM

Ram says: Nov 23, 2013 12:02 PM

____________
    I’m not a ducks fan by any means, but I hate when people criticize the Ducks uniforms. Even as an SEC fan, I feel compelled to look at what Oregon is wearing when I see that one of their games is on. Me tuning in = higher ratings = more money for Oregon.

And, hate em or love em, as far as Nike’s concerned Oregon’s uniforms may be the best ad campaign of the century. I’m on the East Coast so I don’t know about the merchandising, but assume Nike is able to sell a effectively half dozen of the better uniform designs every year.

TV ratings; marketing; brand advertising; sales: win-win-win-win. Capitalism at work. Win.

20. thraiderskin says: Nov 23, 2013 2:15 PM

Seriously and in all honesty, Chip has done well with the Eagles, but I’m pretty positive he and Oregon paid for “special recruiting services, so it couldn’t have been that stressful.

21. gooseusaf1 says: Nov 23, 2013 4:29 PM

2 things. 1, I’m pretty sure that coordinators can’t be coach of the year and 2, the defense under Jim Johnson was bend but don’t break as well. They gave up yards but buckled down inside the 20. Really points allowed is the stats that matter on defense. If you’re giving up 7-10 points a game but 400 yards there’s a good chance you’re still winning that game unless your offense stinks.

22. 23rdusernameused says: Nov 25, 2013 12:09 PM

Go Chip! Go Bill Davis! Go birds!
    I believe!