Ted Wells will talk to Jake Long, possibly folks at Stanford

Long AP

As NFL independent investigator Ted Wells closes up shop in Miami, his travels eventually will take him to St. Louis.  Or wherever Wells can hook up with Rams tackle Jake Long.

Per multiple league sources, Wells plans to interview Long regarding his recollection of interactions during the 2012 season between suspended Dolphins guard Richie Incognito and Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin.

Long was the unquestioned leader of the team’s offensive line.  Once Long left via free agency, Incognito stepped into the void.  Or, perhaps more accurately, barged his way in.

As one source explained it, Long is the guy who would intervene when Incognito arguably was going too far.  Without Long on the team, no one was there to reel Richie in.

Meanwhile, we’re told it’s possible that Wells will interview former teammates and coaches at Stanford.  If Wells takes that path, it would be a strong indication that Wells is exploring the manner in which Martin interacted with others while at Stanford.  Possible topics would include whether Martin engaged in communications like those he objected to in Miami, and perhaps whether he engaged in any behavior that could be regarded as bullying or hazing.

Wells also could poke around regarding whether Martin, who has been a fixture at recent Stanford games, has said anything to teammates regarding why he left the Dolphins, whether he genuinely blames Dolphins players for their conduct, and whether he (as some believe) simply wanted out of the NFL but didn’t want to have to refund roughly $1 million in bonus money that he received last year.

Regardless, it’s clear this investigation will continue indefinitely.  And it will take precisely however long it takes for Wells to feel comfortable that he has explored all angles and chased all reasonable leads.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
28 Responses to “Ted Wells will talk to Jake Long, possibly folks at Stanford”
  1. tfaulk says: Nov 24, 2013 6:24 PM

“Once Long left via free agency, Incognito stepped into the void. Or, perhaps more accurately, barged his way in.”

Or, you know, as has been documented: he was embraced and voted by his fellow teammates. But keep chopping wood, trying to spin it as bullying.

2. stevenwilliams2013 says: Nov 24, 2013 6:25 PM

Oh my God, how many people is Wells going to interview? He is acting like this is the Kennedy assassination.

3. tfaulk says: Nov 24, 2013 6:28 PM

As soon as you have to go back to Stanford, it’s now time to say there was no bullying.

4. richcranium2112 says: Nov 24, 2013 6:29 PM

Really? Start lining up HS Coach, guidance counselor, neighbors – got a molehill building!

5. johnnyjagfan says: Nov 24, 2013 6:29 PM

Pad those bills!

6. jetsjetsjetsnow says: Nov 24, 2013 6:29 PM

This whole thing is shaping up to end inconclusively…

7. phillyphannnn83 says: Nov 24, 2013 6:30 PM

this is out of control

8. bsizemore68 says: Nov 24, 2013 6:30 PM

Keep an eye on the money. Bill

9. stampnhawk says: Nov 24, 2013 6:33 PM

If I was a kid, when they were both 7 years old, who stole Martin’s pudding spoon at lunch, I’d start getting my story straight, as Wells will be getting around to me in September 2014 or later.

10. uwsptke says: Nov 24, 2013 6:35 PM

I thought Incognito and Long were in some sort of “bromance” that reared its head when Long left.

11. tfaulk says: Nov 24, 2013 6:35 PM

“As one source explained it, Long is the guy who would intervene when Incognito arguably was going too far. Without Long on the team, no one was there to reel Richie in.” Once again, it sound like you are speaking for Martin’s sock puppets. One source of what kind? A player in the locker room? Someone in the Fins front office who’s around the building? Or Martin’s agent?

“One source” should not be adequate when making such damaging accusations. Let’s try to raise the level of reporting but completely bury it for dead.

12. badmoonrison says: Nov 24, 2013 6:37 PM

Anything to run up those attorney’s fees eh, Ted?

13. green41563 says: Nov 24, 2013 6:44 PM

I’m a lawyer. Obviously, I’m not in Ted Wells’s league, but I’ve dealt with his firm, and I know how white-shoe Manhattan law firms operate. In short, they create work for themselves. As soon as you give them a case, a deal, and investigation—anything—they will instantly make it five times bigger than it needs to be. They’ll put two or three partners on it, each billing simultaneously at $1,000-1,500 an hour. And of course, each partner will have his or her coterie of do-nothing associates who will bill the file at $475-$675 an hour. And then the coup de grace: they’ll bill $200-$300 an hour for paralegals. Yup! They’ll charge you almost $300 an hour for people who aren’t even lawyers.

Oh, and they’ll bill you for every out-of-pocket cost imaginable. Cab fare, copies, paper, pens, sandwiches served at a meeting, etc. Absolutely everything.

So am I surprised by what Wells is doing? Absolutely not. That’s par for the course.

14. annes22 says: Nov 24, 2013 6:51 PM

This is ridiculous, what does he want Jake Long to say, for god sake. I guess he isn’t getting the answers he wants, so he’s going to the Rams. I’ll bet Jake and Ritchie got on just fine.
    Go to Stanford and waste more money. Martin is a baby, and the Nfl is too rough for him, so get the hell out of it.

15. biggestsaintsfanever says: Nov 24, 2013 6:58 PM

tfaulk says:
    Nov 24, 2013 6:24 PM

———————————————————————————

Or maybe Richie bullied people to vote for him.

16. tfaulk says: Nov 24, 2013 7:11 PM

“Or maybe Richie bullied people to vote for him.”

Maybe you’re smarter than that comment. Maybe.

17. promickey says: Nov 24, 2013 7:22 PM

I think Ted Wells should interview Jonathan Martin’s nanny. Perhaps also find out weather Jonathan was breast fed as an infant.

18. FinFan68 says: Nov 24, 2013 7:35 PM

The only reason to question anybody at all from Stanford is if Martin’s credibility or story are in question. Hopefully they are going to scrutinize Martin’s motivation because it sure looks suspect to me.

19. bmacwillconn says: Nov 24, 2013 7:54 PM

Icognito’s abuse of Martin is nothing compared to the outragious financial abuse Wells is extracting on the NFL.

Don’t the owners and Goodell understand how much this guy is ripping them off?

20. Max says: Nov 24, 2013 7:57 PM

Paid by the day Mr. Wells?

Hats off to this guy Wells, the guy is a pro at stretching an assignment… I bow to your greatness, you legal Zeus.

Make that $$$ playa.

21. doggeatdogg says: Nov 24, 2013 8:25 PM

green41563 says: I’m a lawyer. Obviously, I’m not in Ted Wells’s league, but I’ve dealt with his firm, and I know how white-shoe Manhattan law firms operate.
    ———————
    That facet of legal work you delineated reminds me of a nice grade A steak from Prime One sitting on a plate. I just don’t want to think how the cow was lead to the slaughter and all that mess. There are certain processes we hate.

In this case, I think thoroughness is in order as ludicrous as it seems. Mainly because there will be a multimillion dollar lawsuit (by Martin) and Mr. Wells’ diligence will help mitigate things. He does need to talk to Jake and other linesmen formerly with the Dolphins. His stint with Stanford was probably short so I don’t know how far back he needs to go.

After Wells is done, Goodell needs to do some kind of symposium independent of this investigation but associated to the same issue to ensure no other team goes thru what the Dolphins are experiencing now.

22. mackcarrington says: Nov 24, 2013 8:34 PM

The NFL is a multi-billion dollar business. And Goodell is a former lawyer. Paying some law firm a few million dollars to handle your business is simply the cost of doing business in their eyes. I don’t think the NFL cares what it costs to make this go away.

23. sweetnlow44 says: Nov 24, 2013 9:14 PM

One thing is for sure in all of this and that’s the fact that Martin will never play football again. No team will risk falling into this trap again. Not a chance.

24. 12brichandfamous says: Nov 24, 2013 9:51 PM

Jake long and Stanford should refuse the interviews. they have no direct knowledge relevant to the situation occurring at the dolphins facilities as they do not work there.

I am sick and tired of NFL investigations that last forever with no real release of the information found. the fans end up with endless speculation by the media with stories attributed to specious “sources.” Move on.

25. cwdonald314 says: Nov 25, 2013 12:15 AM

Fans have no right to the information. Its an internal personnel investigation.

Martin will never play again for the Dolphins. I guarantee he will play football again. One team to keep an eye on is the Philadelphia Eagles. If they can take a chance on Michael Vick, Martin is a no brainer, especially if you can get him below market value.

26. eatitfanboy says: Nov 25, 2013 12:56 AM

Every single comment I have made on every single post on this topic has been censored, so I don’t know why I bother, but I will try one more time.

The results of this long, drawn out, multi-million dollar investigation will be the following:

- Some fines
    - Some suspensions
    - A league ban on hazing

All of which could have been done within 5 days of Martin leaving the Dolphins. The motivation for this investigation is the league’s desire to be able to say “we didn’t know what was going on, but look what we did when we found out!” when the lawsuits come raining down.

27. jaychristsays says: Nov 25, 2013 10:31 AM

This is going to be inconclusive in the end and the Dolphins will be the scapegoats just so the NFL can say “Told you so” and make it look like this whole investigation was worth it.

What a joke. Have I told you how much I hate Jonathan Martin?

28. dolphincritic says: Nov 25, 2013 10:56 AM

I am sure we have all heard the courtroom adage, “Never ask a question that you don’t already know the answer to.” That is all that Ted Wells is doing; just collecting the facts and the fiction associated with this case. A complete unbiased investigation can’t hurt anyone. There is no need to rush this case.

I have moved on to worrying about Tannehill’s ability to throw the deep ball with any accuracy. I am worried about the first half prevent defense that ignores defending the sidelines. I am worried about our lack of a running game. I am ready to fire the coaches because they can’t coach – forget about the hostile work environment they are alleged to have created.