Former NFL referee Jerry Seeman dies at 77

Tampa Bay Buccaneers v San Francisco 49ers Getty Images

Jerry Seeman, a former NFL referee and supervisor of officials, has died at the age of 77.

Seeman died on Sunday evening, shortly before his son, NFL line judge Jeff Seeman, took the field to work Sunday night’s Broncos-Patriots game. Jeff told the St. Paul Pioneer Press that his father had been battling cancer for three and a half years.

Jerry Seeman was an on-field official from 1975 to 1990 and then worked for the league office for a decade after that. He was the referee for Super Bowl XXIII and Super Bowl XXV.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Seeman “modernized and improved” NFL officiating and “always made the NFL proud through his skill, integrity, and professionalism.”

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “Former NFL referee Jerry Seeman dies at 77”
  1. nflofficeadmin says: Nov 25, 2013 6:30 PM

RIP Seeman.

2. beardinals says: Nov 25, 2013 6:35 PM

Let’s keep it classy people. Jerry was a ref a lot of us grew up with.

3. fdugrad says: Nov 25, 2013 6:40 PM

He was a ref throughout my entire youthful years. RIP.

4. chinahand11 says: Nov 25, 2013 6:40 PM

Takes a lot of courage to be a ref, IMHO. Best thing that can happen to you during a game is nothing. Jerry you made it a better game.

5. robseahawksfan says: Nov 25, 2013 6:42 PM

He was one of the better referees of my lifetime. A true professional and a fair referee who called the game consistently for both sides. R.I.P.

6. dukeearl says: Nov 25, 2013 6:44 PM

At 77 he probably still was a better ref than most what we have now… unfortunately the game is not for the elderly.

RIP Jerry Seeman

7. larrydavid7000 says: Nov 25, 2013 6:47 PM

RIP Jerry you were one of the best.

8. cospgsmadman says: Nov 25, 2013 6:49 PM

I remember him as a very good referee. Always classy.
    R.I.P. Mr Seeman :-(

9. tiburon97 says: Nov 25, 2013 6:51 PM

May you Rest in Peace Jerry Seeman….

10. 7mantel says: Nov 25, 2013 6:52 PM

@fdugrad :ditto here !

11. pacificnw7722 says: Nov 25, 2013 6:53 PM

“Jerry Seeman was an on-field official from 1975 to 1990.”

The refs today couldn’t hold a candle to him.

RIP Mr. Seeman.

12. nfl4days says: Nov 25, 2013 6:55 PM

Great ref and from the sounds of it a great guy. Im sure he could referee better than these guys in his current state

R.I.P

13. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Nov 25, 2013 7:14 PM

I remember Seeman, and he was a wonderful official who seemed to (quite successfully) try to not make himself the story.

Sorry to hear him pass, and wish his family the best.

14. georgewashingtonsghost says: Nov 25, 2013 7:16 PM

I echo the sentiments expressed here in the comments. He was the most recognizable referee during my initial exposure to NFL games on TV. He was a great credit to his profession. My condolences to his family. May he rest in peace.

15. ravenswhat says: Nov 25, 2013 7:22 PM

Jesus I feel old. I grew up with Jerry reffing games.

RIP

16. adamthescumbag says: Nov 25, 2013 8:04 PM

I agree with the poster who feels old. Not too many of us probably keep track of the refs, but it seems like I was just watching this guy in games and the last time he suited up was 23 years ago!? You still stand out after all this time Mr. Seeman. RIP.

17. 2ruefan says: Nov 25, 2013 8:52 PM

Someone who posts thumbs down to “RIP” posts – would you be willing to post why you do that? I’m just curious. Is it an attempt at humor? Just wanting to be contrary? Or is it an ideological or theological statement like you are an atheist, therefore nobody “rests” in death.. or something like that?
    This is a serious, non judgmental query. I truly want to know. I can never figure it out.
    If you are one of the people who do it, would you be willing to briefly post why you do it?

18. pgilbert2013 says: Nov 25, 2013 9:10 PM

Jerry, rest in peace.

You were a great ref, and I’m sure a great father and husband. God speed sir!

19. bornsteel62 says: Nov 25, 2013 9:11 PM

Who are these people giving the thumbs-down ??
    Same idiots on every post maybe but you really have to take a long, hard look at yourself and your own self-worth. Seriously, this guy was an upstanding zebra, never putting himself above the game. Did he blow a call against your team 30yrs ago and you’re still butt-hurt about it ??

The guy passes from cancer and you give a thumbs down to well-wishers and positive comments.
    MORONS…
    IDIOTS…

I wish I could sign my name to this. Let’s just say;
    Steelers fan
    Arizona resident

20. dcspeedway says: Nov 25, 2013 9:13 PM

RIP Mr.Seeman.
    He was Plainview MN finest.
    Jerry reff’d many of our highschool football and basketball games in MN back in the late 60’s early 70’s.

21. roadtrip3500 says: Nov 25, 2013 9:25 PM

The class of that era were Jim Tunney, Jerry Markbreit, Red Cashion, and Jerry Seeman.

RIP Mr. Seeman – and here’s hoping Jeff moves up to referee and carries on your legacy of excellence.

22. 1971siebs says: Nov 25, 2013 9:54 PM

I remember him as an official when I was younger, and it is sad to hear of his passing. Thoughts and prayers for his family. He was a class act, and an example for officials today on how to conduct themselves with the utmost professionalism.

RIP Jerry. God Bless.

23. clamnewton says: Nov 25, 2013 10:02 PM

2ruefan says:
    Nov 25, 2013 8:52 PM

________________________________________________

I’ve accidentally “thumbs-downed” a post when I’m ready it on my phone. The icons are very small and very close.

I suspect that’s what happening the majority of the time.

24. wwwmattcom says: Nov 25, 2013 10:40 PM

This guy blew a call in super bowl 25. Hostetler fumbled in the end zone for a Bills TD. It was ruled a safety.

25. nickster2k says: Nov 25, 2013 10:56 PM

by all accounts Seeman was a great man. this is hard to swallow

26. wheezerswin says: Nov 25, 2013 11:44 PM

If there was a HOF for refs….he is a first ballot

27. nawlinsmitty says: Nov 26, 2013 1:11 AM

One of the best. They don’t make refs like him anymore.
    RIP Mr. Seeman.

28. ducknichols50 says: Nov 26, 2013 1:40 AM

I really feel old. I thought he was still calling games. Sad to hear of his passing.

29. packerbackersince71 says: Nov 26, 2013 3:03 AM

A Familiar and Friendly Face from Sunday Afternoons Past …

30. deeboy says: Nov 26, 2013 7:20 AM

The deaths of guys like Seeman truly make me sad, as it is a reminder of my youth long past. I always wondered when I was a kid why my parents and grandparents used to talk about the good ole days. With the passing of one of the constants of my childhood, like Seeman and Pat Summeral earlier this year, I too yearn for the good ole days.

R.I.P. Jerry Seeman.

31. mayers59 says: Nov 26, 2013 11:20 AM

Condolences to Jerry Seeman’s family. Along with Jerry Markbreit, Red Cashion and Jim Tunney, as roadtrip3500 pointed out, they were the faces of the NFL officiating community in the day. They brought the level of officiating up. RIP my friend. You’ve finished the race and left the world a better place.