Matt McGloin will start on Thanksgiving

3762d3a68cf7f5c73e0beb6f2e466cfa AP

The Raiders chose to go with Matt McGloin as their starting quarterback in Week 12 even though Terrelle Pryor was healthy enough to be in uniform for the game against the Titans and they’ll go with him again on Thanksgiving Day in Dallas.

Coach Dennis Allen said after Sunday’s 23-19 loss to the Titans that McGloin will start his third straight game against the Cowboys.

“I thought Matt played well,” Allen said, via CSNBayArea.com. “He got us the touchdown we needed in the fourth quarter. We just couldn’t hold up defensively.”

McGloin struggled in the first half of the game, but rebounded in the second half to go 11-of-15 for 155 yards. He threw a touchdown to running back Marcel Reece with just over six minutes to play to give the Raiders a 19-16 lead, but, as Allen mentioned, the Raiders defense couldn’t make a stop as the Titans ran out all but 10 seconds before Kendall Wright’s game-winning touchdown.

Had the defense held up, the Raiders would have remained part of the scrum battling for a Wild Card spot in the AFC. That’s likely off the table for the Raiders now, leaving them with five weeks to evaluate what they have at quarterback heading into the offseason.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “Matt McGloin will start on Thanksgiving”
  1. Patskrieg dot com says: Nov 25, 2013 8:48 AM

The Raiders on Thanksgiving…. WHY? Is the NFL really that bent on getting me to talk to my family?

2. raidernation37 says: Nov 25, 2013 8:56 AM

Idk if McGloin is the answer but I like what I see. We need upgrades at OL, WR, CB and this team will be able to hold the lead in the fourth quarter. For the first time in almost a decade I feel like this franchise is finally headed in the right direction.

3. tooz72 says: Nov 25, 2013 9:11 AM

good, he can throw a real tight accurate ball, Pryor is trying to play point guard on grass

4. kastout11 says: Nov 25, 2013 9:12 AM

As an Eagles fan, I would be pumped if the Raiders can beat the Cowboys on Thanksgiving, but I don’t see it happening.

5. joetoronto says: Nov 25, 2013 9:13 AM

He should start the rest of the season, that’s a no brainer.

6. raiderbob56 says: Nov 25, 2013 9:24 AM

He was not very accurate and it hurt us badly. I was in favor of putting Prior back in because at least he could run around and generate some confussion on offense. We need to platoon these guys and go with the hot hand. I also think that our Offensive coaches should be looking elsewhere when the season ends. They are horrible. I’m not too thrilled witht he head coach either. The Cowboys are going to pummell us.

7. r8dernation says: Nov 25, 2013 9:29 AM

The playoffs? Drafting in the 20’s would be very bad for this team.

8. joetoronto says: Nov 25, 2013 9:43 AM

raiderbob56 says:
    Nov 25, 2013 9:24 AM
    *********************************************
    Just curious, Bob. Did you watch the game?

9. Chuck Norris says: Nov 25, 2013 9:53 AM

I dont know what the answer is in Oakland. First it was Palmer and that didnt work. Then it was Pryor, and now all of a sudden that isnt a good fit. So they look to Pat McGroin to see if he can lead them to a non losing record. Do they have a first round pick this year, or do they still owe that pick to someone from a past mistake, I mean trade?

10. nflofficeadmin says: Nov 25, 2013 10:04 AM

Let’s be honest Raider fans… It’s hard to get excited about Pat McGroin.

However, I’m all for resting TP’s knee. We don’t want to destroy one of the best aspects of TPs game the way that Washington did to Rob Griffin.

11. txraiderfan says: Nov 25, 2013 10:49 AM

“Pat McGroin” is a decent QB, and he’s going to get better. He’s a hard worker, and he has a winning attitude. That will carry you far in life (ask Rich Gannon). We can win with him. Stick with McGloin at QB, and move Pryor to WR already…

12. mmsierra says: Nov 25, 2013 10:54 AM

This team needs to draft a real QB
    Let’s hope they lose a few more and get a high draft pick

and Just say NO to Johnny Football

13. yourmomsnewfriend says: Nov 25, 2013 10:58 AM

Don’t like the match-up. Leave the AFC West out of the holiday exhibition. There’s no history nor value in sticking an old AFL team into what is traditionally a pre-merger NFL game.

14. radrntn says: Nov 25, 2013 11:57 AM

I know I watched the game live, and have it recorded, by got in late. I will watch some of it again….but all I know I was ready to fall asleep in the first half of that game…what a boring game to attend. The crowd finally came to life on the one exciting play to Reece (finally they get the x factor involved) . Then with the crowd behind them the defense could not finish. When Jenkins went to the locker room I knew it was not good.

As far as McGloin…i still have an open mind, but seems to me he had a bunch of balls batted down at the line, threw a boneheaded intercption in his own red zone ( good thing D bailed him out by only giving up a fg) and really had a game of two halves.

Real question is what is up with Seabass? Would of , could of, should of…no doubt about it.

15. therolandobottom says: Nov 25, 2013 12:06 PM

Good. Anything is better than watching TP run around for negative yards only to punt.

16. masterblaster78 says: Nov 25, 2013 12:15 PM

All the more reason why a DL should have been drafted this year, maybe 2. Mark this on the next years draft. DL, DL, DL. Then after DL, do a few OL.

17. 1nationraidernation says: Nov 25, 2013 12:35 PM

i have to wonder what game you guys watch that have you so fired up about McGloin, and have already put him in Canton….All i know is with this kid at qb we barely won against the worse team in football (can we agree on that now that the Jags beat the Texans yesterday), after having zero total yards in the 4th quarter last week. This week another team with a losing record controlled the ball for 35:48, and we only had the ball for 24:12….that says a lot… Keep in mind the o-line yesterday is the same 0-line that Pryor had the first three weeks as well….in those games Pryor had a total of 53 completions on 81 attempts….does anybody drinking Kool aid think for a minute McGloin could have played behind what Pryor, and Matt Flynn had to play behind? Keep to the facts…I am all for McGloin playing another week…but I am not putting a fork in Pryor just yet. Velhdeer should play Thursday, if not at the jets for sure.

18. 1nationraidernation says: Nov 25, 2013 12:48 PM

therolandobottom says:
    Nov 25, 2013 12:06 PM
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

Thats odd, I thought he led the entire NFL in avg yards per rushing attempt at 7.4 yards…..oh I forgot nobody here likes facts. Fact is it’s sad when your QB has to run for his life every play, or he could be like Flynn and get sacked 6 times in one game… you know the same flynn who yesterday in relief led three scoring drives in the 4th quarter….in other words be grateful McGloin did not have to play behind that o-line

19. yourmomsnewfriend says: Nov 25, 2013 1:15 PM

1nationraidernation:

I think what you are also missing, is the most fundamental fact of them all. It doesn’t matter HOW good any player is, when they’re sitting on the bench with injuries. They are no more valuable than the Gatorade jug – actually, less valuable than that.

So, you can rattle on about useless stats for Pryor, but all that really matters is that he’s already missed considerable playing time in only his first season as a starter. If he has the highest average rushing numbers for QB’s in the league, yet that very aspect of his game gets him knocked out of games on a regular basis, then please explain the value.

20. war27 says: Nov 25, 2013 1:28 PM

1nationraidernation says:
    Nov 25, 2013 12:48 PM
    therolandobottom says:
    Nov 25, 2013 12:06 PM
    – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

—————————

This isn’t college, sacks are not counted as rushing attempts.

How many times did the Raiders QB get sacked in the last two games? 4. And we haven’t seen 3rd and 37 since Pryor played.

21. 1nationraidernation says: Nov 25, 2013 1:55 PM

war27 says:
    Nov 25, 2013 1:28 PM

How many times did the Raiders QB get sacked
    – – – – – – – – – – –

Just FYI Titans are ranked 31st in sacks this year….how many times did McGloin have to line up behind McCants, Nix, Briesel, Mady, and Barnes…exactly

btw Nix has recieved the lowest score ever by pro football focus for an o-lineman…

22. therolandobottom says: Nov 25, 2013 2:10 PM

Actually McGloin only got sacked 2 times the last two games. But of course, it was that pro bowl caliber Oline of his and has nothing to do with the fact that he GETS RID OF THE BALL!

23. robgilman says: Nov 25, 2013 2:51 PM

I saw an undrafted rookie qb play a pretty decent game despite having a rocky first half. He hung in the pocket, made throws he needed to and put the team in a position to win. Thought he was very poised the whole game. Not putting him in any sort of pedestal but let’s watch this guy play some more games before casting him off. I still like Pryor too. Think this team isn’t far from being good

24. thatstinks says: Nov 25, 2013 2:58 PM

I really hope McGloin plays well for the rest of the season . We don’t need to burn a our 1 pick on a qb with as spotty as our D is right now . If we need to bring in a FA qb for backup coin sure .

I really like the way the Raiders are going . And with as tough as the AFC west is looking thats a necessity .

25. 1nationraidernation says: Nov 25, 2013 4:46 PM

Like I said I will just wait a few more games before I put the kid in canton…..I am rooting for him, hope he does well, but so far i have not been wowed by him…bottom line 1-1

Go Raiders.

26. raiderfankirk says: Nov 25, 2013 5:17 PM

Hilarious all the negative comments about Mc Lovin. Have they even watched the games? What this team needs now is pass rush and better OC calls. 3rd in goal. You got 8 on the first two runs, slam it in. Same mistake as Giants game.

And better kicking. I can’t three games lost on that one.

27. war27 says: Nov 25, 2013 5:43 PM

1nationraidernation says:
    Nov 25, 2013 4:46 PM

Go Raiders.

———————–

No one is putting the kid in Canton but he does look like a QB most of the time. He carries himself, his footwork and release. Then add in the quick choices he has made and some pretty accurate passes also.

I like Pryor. I like the idea of what he could do if he could be a QB when he has to. Buy I’m not ready to watch 5 years of those big looping change of direction circles and 12 yard sacks. How many times this year has it been 1-2-3rd down and more than 30 yards to go? Some is penalties and most is bad choice by Pryor.

28. therolandobottom says: Nov 25, 2013 7:58 PM

I like Pryor too, and I think he is a good kid. However, I do not like him as our QB. I mean the guy has been in the league 3 years, behind Palmer for two, and still can’t throw with proper mechanics? The Raiders need a real QB, not a flavor of the week that makes 1 exciting play for every 3 or 4 bonehead ones. This team needs consistency at every position and Pryor is anything but.

29. 1nationraidernation says: Nov 25, 2013 8:12 PM

I agree…like I said time will tell, I hope McGloin is the man…but I will wait a few more games and if they win all the better….At least Velhdeer is playing Thursday… but looks like Jenkins won’t. Bittersweet. Go Raiders…Go Irish Igniter!

30. robgilman says: Nov 25, 2013 9:55 PM

Matt McGloin- The Red Raider

31. yourmomsnewfriend says: Nov 26, 2013 10:23 AM

therolandobottom says: Nov 25, 2013 7:58 PM

—-

Well stated. Speaking of Palmer…talk about embarrassing front office moves. The move to get him set the Raiders back for a number of years. They didn’t redesign the offense around him when they had him. Then when they cut him lose he proves he can still lead a team to success in Arizona. Granted, Arizona has better skill players, and a fantastic defense right now. But what a slap in the face, all the same.