Clowney to be recognized with South Carolina seniors on Saturday

Clowney Getty Images

If there was any doubt regarding the intentions of South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney regarding the 2014 draft, there shouldn’t have been.

According to the Charleston (S.C.) Post and Courier (via NFL.com), coach Steve Spurrier said after Saturday’s win over Coastal Carolina that Clowney and defensive tackle Kelcy Quarles will “go out with the seniors” for pre-game recognition during Saturday’s home finale.

Clowney was regarded by many before the season as a lock to be the eventual first pick in the draft.  Thanks to injury and ineffectiveness, it’s now not so clear that he’ll be the first guy off the board.

Regardless, his days of playing for free are soon to end.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
37 Responses to “Clowney to be recognized with South Carolina seniors on Saturday”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 26, 2013 7:56 PM

Still time for him to get hurt and tragically miss playing paid pigskin.

2. thepftpoet says: Nov 26, 2013 8:00 PM

Maybe Clowney might get lucky and get drafted by a successful team like the Vikings. The Vikings have a 3rd best .543 all time record and whoever gets drafted to this organization yields immediate success.

The impending Vikings dynasty will start after this draft and every player should petition and ask to be on the Vikings of they want a Super Bowl ring

We will dominate year after year

Whether you believe me or not, you will see it with your own eyes

3. thepftpoet says: Nov 26, 2013 8:08 PM

Many people in this world don’t know what greatness is. If you want to experience what greatness is, look at the Vikings organization. The Vikings organization is filled with classy players who give 100% every game and dominate in the NFL every single game, The impending Vikings dynasty will hit the NFL by surprise, but no one will be suprised after seeing us win Super Bowl after Super Bowl. The whole league envys us and I can see why, we are the prototypical NFL franchise, we are the Lambourghini of cars, the iPhones of cellular devices, the greatness is reflecting off us every second of the day and all I see is jealousy? I understand the jealousy and give full condolences too all the haters, haters despise greatness. Martin Luther King is a great example of a comparison to the Vikings, people despised and he changed the world just like the Vikings will.

4. thereyougo2 says: Nov 26, 2013 8:20 PM

Spurrier always paid top dollar.

5. mdp44 says: Nov 26, 2013 8:22 PM

Um, ok, what’s your drug dealers # pft poet

6. kd75 says: Nov 26, 2013 8:24 PM

Isn’t Senior Day meant to honor players who stuck it out for four years and earned their degree?

7. irishdodger says: Nov 26, 2013 8:26 PM

Is he graduating early? If not, I always thought Senior Day was reserved for seniors or others who were graduating. I could be wrong & if so will apologize, but I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Clowney is nowhere near graduating. I wonder if his dad will be in attendance?

8. learysdisciples says: Nov 26, 2013 8:29 PM

Damn, this dude is smart. Gratuatin’ in two years.

9. butthatmakestoomuchsense says: Nov 26, 2013 8:30 PM

Clowney made it known before the season that he planned to enter the 2014 Draft after this, his junior season.

He’ll still be a Top 3 pick. He’s the #1 prospect but QB is a more impactful position than DE.

10. powerandair says: Nov 26, 2013 8:30 PM

Vikings fan needs to lay off the blow

11. qwerty007qwerty007 says: Nov 26, 2013 8:33 PM

Regardless, his days of playing for free are soon to end.

—————————————————-

I guess when you went to law school at WV, it was for free for everyone, right Florio?

That’s a huge problem right there, when people start to refer to education as worthless.

But for those of us who have gone into debt to get an education – I would ask all those schools to refund our monies, seeing as they are free…

12. jlawl2 says: Nov 26, 2013 8:34 PM

did i miss a vikings superbowl win? didnt think so

13. don2074978 says: Nov 26, 2013 8:34 PM

Uh no CLowney is not playing for “free”. It may be a pittance compared to the NFL but he gets an athletic scholarship, a Pell Grant (every student gets that, 5635$ each year for 6 years) a student loan and MOST importantly an opportunity at the NFL draft.

I’d say the deal worked well for both parties

14. don2074978 says: Nov 26, 2013 8:39 PM

I should say every student who qualifies for financial aid (family income 50.000 or less) gets a pell grant

15. butthatmakestoomuchsense says: Nov 26, 2013 8:44 PM

We all may have different interpretations of whether Clowney played for FREE (he did).

What we do know is that he didn’t get to enjoy the benefits of a FREE enterprise system that everyone gets to enjoy. Except college football and basketball players, of course.

16. granadafan says: Nov 26, 2013 8:47 PM

Don’t be naive. Clowney was paid at U$C.

17. pfic15 says: Nov 26, 2013 8:50 PM

Guy has bust written all over him.

18. winsb31 says: Nov 26, 2013 9:01 PM

pfic15 beat me too it, clowney will be a clown in the NFL and buster will be his new name!!!
    One hit on a player does not make a career, but the losers at ESPN tried to do that with him….pathetic.

19. johnnyjagfan says: Nov 26, 2013 9:04 PM

This guy looks destined for a slide in the draft followed by a pick by a perineal contender that gets him in their system and turns him into a faster JJ Watt

20. prime2g says: Nov 26, 2013 9:06 PM

I think anyone who thinks clowney will be a bust doesn’t know the position he plays.

21. bennyb82 says: Nov 26, 2013 9:09 PM

This seems wrong on a couple levels…

22. joewilliesshnoz says: Nov 26, 2013 9:22 PM

He’s got the right name.

23. wtfchiefs says: Nov 26, 2013 9:26 PM

drop·out
    ˈdräpˌout
    noun
    a person who has abandoned a course of study or who has rejected conventional society to pursue an alternative lifestyle.

Plural: (Dropouts) A large gathering of NFL players.

Jadaveon Clowney

A junior that is honored on senior day.

24. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 26, 2013 9:27 PM

Wow surprised that so many people seemed unconcerned with the idea that things could get worse. He already was a lock for top pick and is likely to lose a lot more money. How many people still think he was wise to suit up and play this game for? If I’m a GM at the top of the board, I want a smart player, and I would have been more inclined to draft Clowney with the #1 overall pick if he said he sat out so he could save himself for my team. But now he’s dinged up and showing red flags and took a lot of wear and tear for what didn’t seem to be a very smart decision to me. That’s not the kind of guy I’m going to feel comfortable drafting in the Top 5 now.

25. don2074978 says: Nov 26, 2013 9:36 PM

I’d say the store clerks at Wal-Mart and the Hamburger flippers at Mickey D’s get screwed a lot worse than Clowney did at U$C

26. thegreatgabbert says: Nov 26, 2013 9:36 PM

Clowney was ready to “go out with the seniors” when he was nine years old.

27. thegreatgabbert says: Nov 26, 2013 9:40 PM

He is miles ahead of anyone else in the draft. There shouldn’t even be doubt.

28. linvillegorge says: Nov 26, 2013 10:33 PM

This guy maybe the most over hyped prospect I can remember. He has TWO sacks this season against college competition. I would make the Vernon Gholston comparison but that’s unfair to Gholston. He actually put up better numbers than Clowney while improving significantly each year. Clowney’s hype is largely due to one single play. Great highlight, but that doesn’t make him the anywhere near the prospect that many try to make him out to be.

29. mogogo1 says: Nov 26, 2013 10:48 PM

He’d have been better off setting this season out. He’d have avoided injury, questions about his toughness and work ethic, and everybody would still remember him for blowing up the kid in the bowl game last year. He’s got all the tools, but didn’t work very hard this season and missed a bunch of games that Spurrier clearly thought he probably could have played in.

Maybe he’ll turn it all back on when he’s getting paid big bucks…or maybe he’ll decide he’s got his and just totally shut it off completely.

30. onlyoneleft says: Nov 26, 2013 10:51 PM

He is a showboater who has not shown much. Slurrier can get anyone in school at SC. Clowney would not have been allowed in most respectable schools.

31. ravenswhat says: Nov 26, 2013 11:08 PM

This guy will be a beast. He half assed it this year because the risk of getting injured was far greater than any potential draft slide. The $ is in the 2nd contract, not the first.

He’s a beast. Just wait.

32. allidoiswin55 says: Nov 26, 2013 11:15 PM

This is ridiculous, he leaves early he’s not a senior on the field and certainly not academically you hear him speak?

Leave that right for players who stick it out all four years. Or just don’t do it because it becoming pointless and demeaning.

33. bgibson8708 says: Nov 26, 2013 11:54 PM

@thestrategyexpert Any player that sits out a year while they wait for NFL eligibility is smart, but they are showing a bigger red flag- they’re only in it for the money. They’re the same type of player that only has a good season when they’re in a contract year.

34. zygiwilfsmenorah says: Nov 27, 2013 12:00 AM

Ponder graduated in 3 years and Leslie Frazier has assured us that he is one more off-season from All-Pro greatness. right? RIGHT????

35. rawbbqsauce says: Nov 27, 2013 9:08 AM

And right now CLOWNEY’S got a bruised shoulder!

36. koop85 says: Nov 27, 2013 10:21 AM

I wish you would get off the “playing for Free” trip. The only reason he is playing for free is he chooses not to take advantage of the education offered in exchange for playing. You should ask Cecil Shorts III what playing for free really is. He actually paid for his college education.

37. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 27, 2013 1:00 PM

bgibson8708:

Being in it for only the money is one possible interpretation for any player, let alone one sitting out. But does that mean that JC is only in it for the money if he would have sat out? If I’m JC or his agent then that’s not my story or my claim. And if I’m a GM I will buy what they are selling because that’s what would make sense to me. Especially if I can interview JC and make sure he’s not full of BS. If he is I’ll figure it out, if not, then his story will fit with why he sat out based on principle and in part some activism to help pave the way for future kids to not get stuck playing this dangerous game for little to no compensation. A free education isn’t much compensation to me, especially for those players that don’t place the same value on said education as the average prospective student that might have a different plan for life.

Either way, JC’s choices have LOWERED his appeal to me, if he would have taken my advice and sat out and had a story and truth consistent with why he sat out, then he would be the #1 pick in the draft very likely.

This is an indication that he is not a smart person, and I have very little interest in him compared to what I used to. He has to figure out some way to win me over and bring me back now. That’s on him and his brilliant “handlers” if he has some. Which he probably does and that’s why he made this mistake, he caved in to whatever BS they were preaching to him for purposes of trying to lock down their own interests. Or so I suspect.