Mt. Irsay finally erupts

In the aftermath of Sunday’s embarrassing loss to the Cardinals, which saw the Colts’ four-game halftime deficit climb to 93-12, it became mandatory to periodically check owner Jim Irsay’s Twitter feed.

But on Sunday night, there was nothing.

Monday?  Nothing.

It finally came on Tuesday, via a barrage of tweets — five and perhaps counting.

The first:  “7-4, 2 game lead, 5 to go with our injuries n schedule is something we’d take 3 months ago/But the play n last 10 out of 12 quarters-ALARMING.”

The second contained a comparison to a different sport, whose participants Donovan McNabb may or may not regard as athletes.

“Must find a way 2 win Division,no excuses,no explanations..hide weaknesses,accent strengthens/We gotta get our heads out of r butts-WAKE UP!” Irsay said in this third salvo, a message that takes on extra importance given that the Colts can essentially nail down one of the weakest divisions in football by completing a sweep of the Titans at home on Sunday.

And then came Irsay being Irsay:  “I didn’t break the bank,millions cash over cap/Load Brinks Truck,only to be hijacked n stormed on the way 2 stadium by machine gun MANIACS!

The tone softened a bit with his fifth and (so far) final message.

“We’ll close ranks n stick together n BELIEVE! We’ll get it fixed n earn our Div/Camp Hats/Failure is not an option!! How Bad Do WE Want It!” Irsay said.

But winning the division should be easy at this point.  The bigger challenge will be welcoming the No. 5 or No. 6 seed to Indy and winning a playoff game.  The even greater challenge will be going on the road to play the Broncos, Chiefs, or Patriots in the divisional round.

Still, none of that will be relevant if the Colts can’t hold off Tennessee on Sunday.  If Indy fails, we’ve got a feeling Irsay will be back on Twitter a lot earlier than Tuesday afternoon.

148 responses to “Mt. Irsay finally erupts

1. I hope the Colt’s miss the playoffs. Not just because I live in Indy and despise most Colt’s fans. Mostly because I want to see Jim Irsay’s head literally explode on an Instagram video that is posted via his twitter feed.

2. He should have a reality show with Toronto mayor Rob Ford. Lock them up in a room full of booze and let the good times roll.

3. He sounds mentally ill. Like a homeless person muttering to himself. At what point do we stop laughing and start medicating?

4. The picture of him holding the Lombardi Trophy is disturbing. I hope they thoroughly sanitized it after he spent time with it. Jerry Jones should look out–there’s another owner who wants to be more embarrassing than him.

5. But when people were complaining on the past, it was you, Jim Irsay, who said you were happy and totally pleased and how you would have done the Trent trade all over again. So do you still do the trade TODAY now? Or would you rather do a swap-back?

But also the coach that won this game is the guy that used to work for you. And he smoked the guy you gave the head job to. You were the guy who chose which name was to go on those checks.

I’m still just not convinced that Irsay has what it takes to win the Super Bowl, or wants it honestly and seriously enough to achieve it. Let’s see if they can first not figure out a way to lose their playoff spot.

6. And most of all, I am thankful for Jim Irsay. He’s always so willing to provide top quality entertainment to millions via twitter.

7. Did anyone else laugh out loud just from reading the headline? Knew it was going to be good before I even clicked on the story link.

8. I’m not a golfer at all, but can someone please explain to me what on God’s green Earth Irsay was talking about in that golf-related tweet?

9. I have to imagine the Colts players are super embarrassed by stuff like this. Let the coach handle the motivating.

Also, my brain hurts trying to read his tweets. Are ‘and’, ‘in’ so long of words that he has to make them ‘n’s?

10. Isay is the latest owner to ascend to stupidness along with Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder.

It was Irsay who pushed management to make that horrible Trent Richardson deal and now he’s ranting and raving like a fool.

Owners like Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder and Irsay, when they start controlling the day to day operations of the team, never win any Super Bowls.

11. If I’m a Colts fan the most disturbing thing about that to me is this.

“We’ll get it fixed n earn our Div/Camp Hats”

I imagine he means division CHAMP hats… It’s the same mentality we had in Houston. Winning the division was the goal whereas winning the superbowl should be the goal. It’s a mindset and it filters down from the owner to the coach, to the players, to the guy cleaning the restroom.

You know who’s fans don’t buy division championship hats, fans of teams that won the Superbowl. I have 2 division championship hats at home so believe me, I know.

12. Well, someone was able to hide his keyboard, laptop, tablet & smartphone for about a day and a half. Now this tool has his toys and the twitter barrage has started. Next time, someone change the password on all his twitter enabled devices so we don’t have to hear from him.

13. “hooding” is a golf term for closing the face of a golf club in an attempt to de-loft it and get more distance.

In this case, Irsay’s use was proper and his tweet was incorrectly edited to “hold”.

14. I’ll admit that my team’s season is over. Are we gonna make the playoffs? Yes but there’s no way we’ll survive the first round. Sadly, injuries have derailed our season just like two years ago.

15. .

Someone needs to intervene before he tweets something that can’t be explained under the newly invoked ” Ford Doctrine”, which has a “not responsible while in a drunken stupor” clause.

16. Twitter and the related greater public profile of Mr. Irsay have not done him any favors. Jerry Jones is getting some competition for most annoying, and clueless, owner.

17. touchdownroddywhite says: Nov 26, 2013 3:46 PM

—————-

I don’t care about the Colts and am entertained by Irsay’s antics. But what kind of person hates the team from their hometown? How can you be deemed to be a respectable person?

18. Good for him for holding this team accountable. They have been embarrassing to watch.

He hit the nail on the head when he said hide our weakness and highlight our strengths. Hope this was a direct shot to Pep Hamilton to drop the “Ground and pound” BS they’ve been spewing. You have a top you g QB, use him! When the offense executes the coaches ahem “game-plan” in the first half, they get smoked. When they unleash Luck because they’re down so much the offense actually starts to move. Go with the no huddle in the 1st Qtr! Not when your down 24 points in the 4th!

19. Yeah, it always comes down to the money with the despicable Irsays. Ask the fans of the Baltimore Colts.

20. As ridiculous as he sounds, he does have a good point. Even with the offensive skill positions being depleted, the Colts can’t use that as an excuse if they lose the division.

21. I like Luck and generally like most of the players and coaching staff. However, I want to see them fail because of this ego-maniacal buffoon.

22. I had a friend who went to prep school with this bozo. Both of them are losers. Doesn’t say much for the school…….

23. ““In Golf you’re allowed 14 clubs..but if you’re playing with 9 clubs..U got to ho[l]d a 8 iron n hIt It like a 4 iron! Improvise n find a way!” Irsay said.”

HERE HERE! Get out there and lead by example Jimmy!

24. Funny how life goes… Born to this family, grow up rich, every whim catered to, every advantage afforded. Born in that family, you have to work to get where you want and what you want.

The world just as easily could have seen Jimmy Irsay drunk and yelling at his trailer park neighbors while grilling some dogs Sunday night.

25. I feel so deprived. Other teams have Irsay, Mara, Rooney, JJ, Woody, et al, who come out with such intelligent prose. But Paul Allen, never says anything and leaves the speaking to the team.

26. To assume the colts would be able to beat teams as mediocre and underperforming as the ravens/bengals/steelers/chiefs would be a stretch anyway. They are NOT making it to the divisional round.

27. It’s incredible to me that people get so riled up just because the owner of an NFL franchise likes to tweet. Why does it bother so many so much? If something this small irks you that bad, then you must be a really fragile minded imbecile. This guy does so much for the city and the people of Indiana that most you idiots can’t even fathom. He’s a great owner and a good person. If you really don’t know anything else about Irsay than the stupid crap this site puts up all the time, then you really need to just keep your immature and ignorant thoughts to yourself because you look like fools.

28. If you think Irsay’s tweets are bad you should listen to him speak. He can make a four word statement sound like the Gettysburg Address with all the uh and ums. Irsay: I, uh,uh, uh,um,think.,uh,uh,um,um,um,we can,uh,uh,um,uh win,u,uh,um this,uh,um,uh,uh,um game. Then he falls asleep.

29. what is funny is that all of you in here talking smack, were saying the exact same thing about irsay when he talked about manning, and every single one of you said “i cant wait to see peyton throw for 8 TD’s and kill the colts” , well what happened there? Now you geniuses think the Colts will lose the division? What is Irsay doing that gets all of this hate? I know bitter baltimore fans still cry about the Colts, even though they themselves stole a team from Cleveland, keep coming with the predictions on the Colts demise like you experts all said would happen in the Broncos game

30. Reading a post like this makes me reaffirm my decision to avoid Twitter at all costs. If I need a translator to figure out what you’re saying, then I don’t care what you’re saying to begin with.

31. He really sounds like a lunatic on Twitter. He really shouldn’t be doing that. It’s embarrassing for the whole franchise and their fans. I can’t imagine almost any owner acting like that. Not even Jerry Jones flips out like that. Imagine John Mara of the Giants or Jeffrey Lurie of the Eagles acting that way. It would be unthinkable. Irsay comes off as a spoiled brat a$$clown billionaire with a Twitter account. Someone take away his iPhone.

32. grandpoopah says:
    Nov 26, 2013 3:47 PM
    ____
    I would gladly pay $50 to watch that. Somebody set up the pay-per-view. Vegas could make a killing setting odds on who passes out first.

Since it’s Thanksgiving week, let me say how thankful I am for Jim Irsay. He entertains and brings perspective – Jerry Richardson isn’t nearly so bad after all. #JimIrsayIsAnIdiot

33. If you look past the tweets…

The Colts could essentially lock up the Division and a Playoff bid this weekend. A loss would make things very interesting, but a win would put them 3 games up (3.5 if you factor in the tiebreaker) with 4 to play and the struggling Jags and Texans still to play at home.

Even as a Colts fan, it’s a mystery which team we’ll see each weekend now. As impressive as it was to beat the Broncos, Seahawks, and dismantle the 49ers it was equally as nauseating to lose to the Rams and Dolphins.

Injuries aside (and there have been plenty), it is definitely still a work in progress and a number of needs to fill in the offseason (Oline notably). To be sitting at 7-4 with a 2 game lead at Thanksgiving with a chance to wrap up the division is something 75% of other teams would take right now I can guarantee you that.

34. It’s unfortunate that so many classy people (Manning, Dungy, Wayne, Luck) have been a part of the Colts organization. Their talent and grace covers up for one of the most laughable and undeserving used car salesmen in pro sports. Funny how life works.

35. If this guy wasn’t fed with a silver spoon in his mouth his entire life, he’d be lucky if he could get a job anywhere doing anything. But I guess being a little rich kid billionaire can only make you a narcisstic embarrasment to your orgainzation if nothing else. He must read this website and do all he can to out-moron Jerry Jones. Fun to watch half wit rich guys throw a tantrum after watching their favorite toys break.

36. Wow, an owner of an entertainment entity entertaining. Blasphemy. All the guy has done is since 1998 is dominate his division, give his fans a HOF QB, win a SB and provide them with hope for the future. And, then, have the audacity to give the fans a little insight on what is going through his mind. Terrible, terrible owner. I hate that guy.

37. Hilarious. Dude’s team has a 2-game lead over my lost Titans and he tweets “Must find a way 2 win Division, no excuses, no explanations…hide weaknesses, accent strengthens.”

I repeat: the 5 and 6 Jake Lockerless Titans!!

38. Mr. Wright 212 says:
    Nov 26, 2013 4:03 PM

——————————–

That makes no sense at all. Is there some unwritten rule I’ve never heard of that says a person is supposed to like everything about their hometown? Do you really think everyone in Indianapolis is a colts fan? You don’t think there are Cowboy fans in NY or Philadelphia? sheeesh

39. Dude needs a PR assistant to filter his public communications. Everyone knows alcohol and Twitter can be a total disaster, but based on the bizarre tone he is descending into, I would say he has added some crystal meth or bath salts into the mix.

40. He sounds mentally ill. Like a homeless person muttering to himself. At what point do we stop laughing and start medicating?

Exactly…he looks like a jilted ex gf on a rant. Lay off the sauce dude. It’s gonna be hard this thanksgiving weekend however. Happy Holidays ppl!

41. ripster65 says: Nov 26, 2013 5:06 PM

Mr. Wright 212 says:
    Nov 26, 2013 4:03 PM

——————————–

————–

No, not a rule, but makes you wonder. Particularly people my age (mid-30s) and older. And since you cited Dallas fans in New York — older than me, particularly — you have to wonder about them even more. That is beyond embarrassing.

42. As Kramer said to Jerry (in describing Lloyd Braun), “That’s a perfectly sane food.”

43. Don’t be so hard on your team, Jim. They were simply outclassed by a better team.

Cardinals have injuries too. Maybe if you had a 100% healthy squad, the score would have been a little closer. Feel better?

44. Mr. Wright 212 says: Nov 26, 2013 4:03 PM

touchdownroddywhite says: Nov 26, 2013 3:46 PM

—————-

————-

Its really easy actually. I live in Indy as well and feel the same way as most football fans in Indianapolis do. Irsay is only saying what most Colts fans think. He truly is the leader of the pack and that is why many NFL fans in this part of the country have defected to more traditional football teams like the Bears, Steelers, Browns etc and not follow the team who’s fanbase can’t name most of the players, have no clue the team even existed before 1998 (otherwise known as when Payton Manning founded the team) and believes that their biggest division rival is the New England Patriots (all facts btw). The ownership and the fair weather fans make it really REALLY hard to like the team.

45. mrfrostyj says:
    Nov 26, 2013 5:50 PM

……………………………………………………………………………

You truly are an idiot. None of what you stated as facts are actual facts. Maybe you should learn the definition of a word before you use it. Most Colts fans love Irsay and they obviously love the Colts. If you actually do live in Indy then please move away, You’re too stupid to be a Colts fan and we won’t have you.

46. snowlock2013 says: Nov 26, 2013 5:00 PM

——————-

I’d be right there with you if he actually did any of that but the Colts were a 3 win at best team when he was actually running it. The Colts success came from a perfect storm of him giving up power to Bill Polian at a time when Payton Manning was coming out of college and the NFL was re working the divisions to make them more competitive. Had the Colts stayed in the AFC East with the Pats and Jets it’s arguable they probably wouldn’t have made the playoffs very many times. Especially considering how many lopsided playoff losses they’ve had to AFC East teams in that span specifically to those two teams. As said in the article the AFC South is the weakest division in the AFC and has been since it’s inception. The division literally consists of what was the two worst teams in the old AFC Central (Jaguars and Oilers/Titans), one expansion team (the Texans) and the worst team in the AFC East (Colts). Saying that’s successful would be like making a division with the Jaguars, Browns, Buccanneers and Vikings today and then putting Brandon Weeden on sony commercials for being the best QB in it.

47. Prime example of an economic system that does not reward merit. Irsay is a wreck. Gotta love when he gets good n liquored up, puts on his favorite “I don’t wanna grow up!” outfit, then proceeds to tweet sassy selfies.

48. I read those and honestly felt embarrassed for the guy. I gotta speculate because those thoughts bouncing around everywhere like that and barely coherent, there has gotta be some type of Charlie Sheen drugs involved.

49. Anyone complaining about posters hating on Irsay need to learn to read. We LOVE that he’s a twittering nutbag. He’s HILARIOUS!

No hate here.

50. You gotta love an NFL franchise owner who is willing to drink enough cans of Budweiser in one sitting to share (tweet) every minute detail of the inner workings of his pitiful intellect. I love that guy’s alcoholism almost more than I love Jerry Jones’s Alzheimer’s. Is there any better entertainment in the world than those two billionaires expressing their dumbness?

51. It should have erupted before Grigson said the name Trent Richardson over his pre-trade chat with Joe Banner and Mike Lombardi.

A first for someone who’s worse than Vick Ballard???

And I say this as a guy who felt that the Colts got ripped off at the time of the trade and Browns fans were crying like babies for no reason.

52. Never thought I’d say this out loud, but thank G-d he left baltimore. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Bobs choice was booze. Jimmy’s is Percocet. He was born on third base thinking he hit a triple. He is a joke as an owner. He is a louse as a human being. And sooner or later he will move the team again.

53. Irsay haters are just jealous. Let me get this straight, if you were worth 1.6 billion, you’d be boring and dull like all of the other owners? The dude is having a great time. Yup, petty jealousy.

I don’t think Jimmy spends any time worrying what other people think. Even people who spend their time from their mother’s basement commenting on sports teams.

And as for his looney phrasings, how is it any more cryptic is it than all that awful poetry they made us read in high school, or the lame lyrics in 99% of modern music (which many of you jam to)? Maybe it’s jealousy AND frustration that you can’t figure it out.

54. like father like son. I guess everyone was wrong to assume that Jr was the mellowed out normal guy of the Irsay family. My guess is at some point as he ages that he ends up as crazy as his old man and ends up moving the team to some place like oklahoma city when he really wanted to go to Vegas. This is the price you pay for doing everything short of cheating to beat your former QB. You built up your team for that game and now they have collapsed like a house of cards ever since. The injury to Reggie has not helped, but there are many teams out there with injuries to key players.

55. Ahahahaha a 1st round pick for Richardson, what a dumb organization, without Wayne, Manning your finished ya wanker

56. You should have kept Manning, Apparently the face of the franchise can really mask the “face of the franchise”. I don’t see how Dungy and Manning being as professional as they are dealt with this guy.

57. geez, lay off on the weak division stuff. outside of Jacksonville, I think its a tad ridiculous to call it weak. The Texans have had some bad luck and QB play, but they are by no means an easy team to play, same with the Titans, both if they just had steady qb play like an alex smith or someone who just doesn’t help you beat yourselves they would have pretty good records. 3 of the 4 teams are really tough opponents.

58. This “loser” owner has run a franchise that has missed the playoffs only twice since BILL CLINTON was in office. He also will be hosting the Indiana HS Academic All-Stars, free tix to the game and other goodies, this Sunday. He also donates $$$ to local charities, supports the Armed Forces nearly every home game in some way… But you won’t hear any of that. All you “see” is some lunatic. I can assure you he’s far from it. Crazy yes, crazy like a fox. He built up that Denver game and took all the heat off the team by making it about him and Manning. And it worked. He writes the checks, so he can say what he wants. And where was he wrong?? Please point out anything he said recently that wasn’t 100% on point.

59. Irsay is playing golf a few clubs short of a set. He tweets a few words short of a sensible point. Would it be safe to guess he is a few cards short of a full deck as well?

60. taosravenfan says: Nov 26, 2013 9:26 PM

He was born on third base thinking he hit a triple.

________________________________

Man…..that line never gets old!
    Wait, yeah it does.

61. “The Colts have again received little from their running game (14 carries, 28 yards). ”

Hmmm, so much for benching Trent Richardson. 14 carries 28 yard equates to 2 yards a carry. Richardson got benched for 2.9 yards a carry. Sounds like there is more of an issue than the RB…