Packers make it official: Matt Flynn starts, Aaron Rodgers out

Matt Flynn AP

The Green Bay Packers, who started just three different quarterbacks from September of 1992 through October of 2013, will start their fourth different quarterback of this month on Thursday.

Matt Flynn has been officially named the starter for the Thanksgiving game at Detroit. Scott Tolzien will back Flynn up, and Aaron Rodgers will be inactive for the fourth consecutive game.

Flynn, who replaced an ineffective Tolzien on Sunday against the Vikings, has done all the work with the first-string offense this week. He’s clearly the right choice against the Lions, especially considering that he had a phenomenal game the last time he played against the Lions, at the end of the 2011 season, when he shredded Detroit’s secondary for 480 yards and six touchdowns.

If Flynn can play against the Lions this time the way he did last time, the Packers have a good chance of winning. And putting themselves in great position to be in contention for the NFC North title when Rodgers returns.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Packers make it official: Matt Flynn starts, Aaron Rodgers out”
  1. filthymcnasty1 says: Nov 27, 2013 1:39 PM

Flynn to WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. liondoc says: Nov 27, 2013 1:41 PM

“If Flynn can play against the Lions this time the way he did last time…” sounds like a bit of wishful thinking from a “reporter” whose colors are showing.
    The current Detroit secondary is not terribly impressive, but last time the Lions secondary was so beat up that they were converting WR to cornerback for the game

3. seatownballers says: Nov 27, 2013 1:44 PM

Flynn has the talent to pull an upset on Turkey day

4. ravenswhat says: Nov 27, 2013 1:45 PM

You KNOW this guy is going to scorch the Lions AGAIN and parlay this into a payday in a QB desperate league.

If this was a Hollywood movie it would star Tom Hanks as the beleagured coach sprinkling pixie dust on a young Keanu Reeves playing the has been QB making his last stand.

5. crownofthehelmet says: Nov 27, 2013 1:45 PM

“Aaron Rodgers Out”

I knew it!

6. thetruthcampaign says: Nov 27, 2013 1:46 PM

Unless the Lion’s secondary surprises, some big plays will happen. If GB can stay in the game, and my Lions make mistakes, that could be all it takes. Go Lions!

7. bla bla bla says: Nov 27, 2013 1:46 PM

Matt Flynn: Lion Killer

8. ravenswhat says: Nov 27, 2013 1:51 PM

seatownballers says:
    Nov 27, 2013 1:44 PM
    Flynn has the talent to pull an upset on Turkey day

0 0 i

An upset? The Lions just lost to the Bucs at HOME. They are AWFUL.

9. hyzers says: Nov 27, 2013 1:51 PM

Difference in this game is Flynn isn’t playing against 3 backup DBs like last year’s game.

Also Detroit will get it’s best player back (Megatron) and the Packers will be without their best player. Last game roles were reversed and GB won 22-9. GB fans didn’t think Calvin made a difference. Flynn won’t make a difference this time either.

10. hor2012 says: Nov 27, 2013 1:53 PM

If the packers lose this game I wouldn’t be surprised if the Aaron Rodgers injury suddenly becomes season ending.

11. gergie1957 says: Nov 27, 2013 1:53 PM

I predict he tears up the Loins, puts up , Ummm, lets say 40 points, Rodgers returns, he then signs a huge contract with……………………

12. tokyosandblaster says: Nov 27, 2013 1:55 PM

The Lions just lost to Tampa.

This is anyone’s game.

13. trollsetter says: Nov 27, 2013 1:55 PM

Lions by 38.

14. vincelombardisghost says: Nov 27, 2013 1:55 PM

Matt Flynn is my hero! I love that guy!!

15. leatherface2012 says: Nov 27, 2013 1:56 PM

unless suh or fairley plant him 2 feet deep into the field turf

16. dsp518 says: Nov 27, 2013 2:00 PM

Let’s stop the madness, please. There’s no bigger Packers fan on Earth than me, but let me ask all you Flynn lovers one question. Have we forgotten about a guy named Calvin Johnson and a defense that’s been prone to the big play all season? Unless Flynn plays both ways I don’t see my turkey digesting well. I’m just saying…….GO PACK GO!!!!

17. dublindemonszfl says: Nov 27, 2013 2:01 PM

7 tds are in the bag. Rogers sucks

18. beerbratscheese says: Nov 27, 2013 2:02 PM

Flynn, the Lion tamer!!!!

19. pillowporkers says: Nov 27, 2013 2:02 PM

I had a Packer fan come up to me the other day (I’m a Vikings fan) and tell me that if I want to console with him later, he understands now what we go through. Clearly he still doesn’t truly understand. Poor Packers fans, they have to see what their “beloved and storied franchise” is like if they didn’t have only Favre and Rodgers (two HoFs) start for 21 STRAIGHT YEARS, for a whole 4-6 weeks. This isn’t a great franchise at all. It’s a lucky one. (along with 49ers, and then now Indy). Try never having a HoF QB not even start one game for your team since I have been alive (Warren Moon would be the last I suppose). I don’t feel sorry at all. You guys see the light.

20. contra74 says: Nov 27, 2013 2:09 PM

0-4-1 book it

21. glennsyank13 says: Nov 27, 2013 2:12 PM

Flynn another 6 touchdown performance = 3 year contract with Vikings in 2015. Please let it all happen!!!!

22. amazingguy101 says: Nov 27, 2013 2:13 PM

Flynn the lion tamer! Packers will win

23. metrocritical says: Nov 27, 2013 2:15 PM

“If Flynn can play against the Lions this time the way he did last time, the Packers have a good chance of winning…” If Flynn can play against the Lions this time the way he did last time, the Lions will have no chance of winning and Schwartz & Staff should be fired before Madden hands out the first turkey leg.

This is a referendum game for the Lions, if they can’t halt this skid, there will be no reason to believe that this administration can accomplish anything positive in the future. For all his years on the job, Mayhew still hasn’t come up with a competent secondary, via free agency or the draft and Schwartz hasn’t figured out how to instill an adequate level of football IQ in his players, from his prized QB on down. Stafford still plays like a pitcher who can throw 100 mph fastballs but doesn’t know how to pitch and the rest of the team plays its dumbest when it needs to play its smartest. Tomorrow’s game won’t save the franchise with a victory but a loss will show that Detroit is doomed.

24. paulsimpsonv5 says: Nov 27, 2013 2:26 PM

We better start hoping for all our teams to get better. We get laughed at by every division except nfl East. We need a strong north then whoever wins it can really have bragging rights.

25. paulsimpsonv5 says: Nov 27, 2013 2:28 PM

Lol nfc East auto correct

26. jhorton83 says: Nov 27, 2013 2:31 PM

It would be funny it Flynn plays well and then a team gives him ANOTHER monster contract. At this rate, he’ll be one of the richest players ever despite never officially winning a starting job.

27. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Nov 27, 2013 2:34 PM

Can somebody remind me how Matty F did the last time he played the Lions?

1st place here we come!

28. usmutts says: Nov 27, 2013 2:35 PM

Raiders (mis)management fell in love with Terrell (“Richard”) Pryor, or else Flynn would be starting there and doing a competent job and Oakland would be better for it. He is the kind of player who needs plenty of actual playing time to bring out the best in him. Remember, it wasn’t just the Lions game that showed his potential. The year before that, he started against the Patriots in Foxborough and came within a minute or two of pulling out a win in a really close game.

I think if Flynn got a full season of live action he could be a very competent starter in this league.

29. paulsimpsonv5 says: Nov 27, 2013 2:41 PM

Just don’t tie guys, last week was bad enough but two in as many weeks would be terrible.

30. trollsetter says: Nov 27, 2013 2:42 PM

Whiny, delusional, rudderless, and spineless doesn’t win football game. Lions by 38. The Pack will surely be 5-6-1 heading into next week. Their season’s over.

31. tokyosandblaster says: Nov 27, 2013 2:49 PM

Lions fans, don’t get your hopes up because Vikings fans think you’ll win. They predicted that the Vikings would win the division and Peterson would be MVP again.

Their knowledge of football is woefully inept.

32. wrm1230 says: Nov 27, 2013 2:50 PM

“Meanwhile, I have to pray we don’t screw it up and beat the Bears (which we will…this is what we do, we even suck at losing) in order to get Teddy.”

**********************************************
    And there is the major reason why it’s been 21 years and counting. First of all, hoping to lose in order to “win” in the draft is fools gold at best and sugar coats the true misery losing brings.

More importantly, if anyone thinks Teddy Bridgewater is a franchise NFL QB, they haven’t watched a Louisville game over the past two seasons. In addition to playing in a conference that is woeful to say the least, he’s just not that good. You can have him…good luck with that….and the cycle continues.

33. johngaltwho says: Nov 27, 2013 2:55 PM

crownofthehelmet says: Nov 27, 2013 1:45 PM

“Aaron Rodgers Out”

I knew it!

—————————————————

A broken bone takes more than 3 weeks to heal.

I KNEW IT!

(Someone stayed at a holiday inn express)

34. Jikky Jax says: Nov 27, 2013 2:57 PM

Packers are going to beat the Lions and my Vikes are going to beat the Bears. And just to ensure we don’t get the QB of the future that we need, we will beat the Lions again in Week 17, putting the Packers into the playoffs and wrecking our draft. Mark my words.

35. johngaltwho says: Nov 27, 2013 2:58 PM

paulsimpsonv5 says: Nov 27, 2013 2:26 PM

——————————————–

Some of our teams dont have to get better, they have to get healthier – remember the Packers were 5-2 before they lost Rodgers. And he’s coming back real soon. Hopefully its not too late.

36. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Nov 27, 2013 2:59 PM

dsp518 says:
    Nov 27, 2013 2:00 PM

—-

You gotta be positive, man, if you can’t do that, get in your car, drive west ~300 miles and stop when you see purple.

37. stellarperformance says: Nov 27, 2013 3:00 PM

trollsetter says:
    Nov 27, 2013 2:42 PM
    /////////////////////////////////////////

You forgot to predictably say “book it,” like so many of your fellow losers mistakenly foresee.

38. filthymcnasty1 says: Nov 27, 2013 3:01 PM

I think fans of both these teams can be thankful that the game actually means something.

39. pillowporkers says: Nov 27, 2013 3:07 PM

@wrm1230:

Hmmm, if you are a Packer fan, you probably have watched Brett Favre play before. Probably the biggest warrior ever.

I don’t really care what you think. Clearly you weren’t watching the Rutgers game last year, or the Florida one. Fact is, Louisville needed a win against Rutgers last year to make it to the BCS. Teddy started the game on the bench because he had a high ankle sprain a broken left wrist. They got down 11 after the first qtr, and then put Teddy back in cuz they realized this was it. He brought them back. He’s one of the toughest QBs I’ve seen come out of college in years. Sure he’s not as gifted as Luck, but toughness goes a long way in my book. The guy is a leader who’s game always takes the next step when his team needs it most. He hasn’t been handed everything in his life like RG3 or Luck. The guy is going to outwork all of those guys. He doesn’t care about doubters, he’ll prove them all wrong. I see a lot of Favre in Teddy (Favre was Teddy’s favorite player btw).

40. fordmandalay says: Nov 27, 2013 3:11 PM

This just may turn into an interesting game! And seriously, what else matters?

41. wrm1230 says: Nov 27, 2013 3:21 PM

That’s cool….you can have Bridgewater as I suggested. I’ve seen him play…far more than the 2 games you cited…and I know what I’ve seen…a QB that has a very, very difficult time escaping a college pass rush….let alone an NFL pass rush….and when pressured can’t find places to put the football.

Counting on toughness to carry the day is a dangerous thing. Even if Bridgewater is tough as you suggest, comparing his given skill set to that of Favre is foolish. Comparing arm talent alone between the two is absurd.

42. jazsrt says: Nov 27, 2013 3:22 PM

Packers win by 4 pts.

43. tshirttom says: Nov 27, 2013 3:47 PM

Lions put together a good game and win by 10

44. The Great Ted Thompson the Genius says: Nov 27, 2013 3:56 PM

I’m guessing this is the first time in NFL history that a quarterback has been cut by two teams in the same season after failing to beat out an undrafted rookie free agent, then started a game for a third team.

If this has happened before, this has to be the first time the fans of the team for which he is starting are excited about it.

45. tritz32 says: Nov 27, 2013 4:01 PM

pillowporkers says:
    Nov 27, 2013 2:02 PM

===================================

So let me get this straight. Ron Wolf trades for a QB from Atlanta that was more into partying that preparing. The guy comes to GB and ends up being one of the best ever. Then Ted Thompson drafts another highly rated QB at the end of the 1st round after he drops. He also turns out to possibly be one of the greatest ever. Can you tell me how luck is involved there? I’d say it’s due to great personnel decisions from the front office.

Maybe the Vikings should quit bringing in over the hill crappy FA QB’s (and other positions) and start focusing on the draft. Just a thought, but what do I know.

46. trollsetter says: Nov 27, 2013 4:01 PM

stellarperformance says:
    Nov 27, 2013 3:00 PM
    trollsetter says:
    Nov 27, 2013 2:42 PM
    /////////////////////////////////////////

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Who says “book it”? They’re whiny because they whine (see Sutton). They’re delusional because they think they have a shot at the postseason. They’re rudderless because they have no definable leadership. They’re spineless because their defense mirrors the toughness of a book club. I’m just spitting the facts. What’s with the name calling?

47. muskyhunter2542 says: Nov 27, 2013 4:17 PM

Im a Packer fan and Im not sure why everyone is so naive. I just dont see how Green Bay can win this week. This is the only team with a winning record since Rodgers got hurt and they are playing The Thanksgiving game wich is their superbowl.
    This will essentially end The Packers season with a loss. I know that the players know that but they look as if they are lost and quit.
    This is a wasted season. I had them in the NFC Championship Game and one sack later and they are not even going to make the playoffs.
    This all said, I see the little lio’s winning the north and losing in the 1st round.
    Next year they will be 6-10 and Green Bay will be 13-3 or 12-5.

48. deltaoracle says: Nov 27, 2013 4:20 PM

The problem is that Detroit seems especially vulnerable to deep passes, and Flynn’s arm strength is not especially good. It’s hard to argue for Tolzien, but I just don’t think that Flynn is best able to exploit the Lion’s main weakness.
    We’ll hope that Shields is back and that Williams has a good game. In any case it will be interesting to watch the Packers’ OLine against the Detroit D.
    I’m just glad that the Packers are still in the hunt for the playoffs despite losing their best player for a month. It would really suck to be in the playoffs, sign a starting WR away from your biggest rival, add three first round draft choices, and then be – oh, I don’t know – 2-8-1 and only in the conversation when it comes to high draft position. Right?

49. trollsetter says: Nov 27, 2013 4:34 PM

How do you like Datone Jones? You’ll draft another loser around that same pick next year.

50. muskyhunter2542 says: Nov 27, 2013 4:43 PM

Datone Jones has 4 sacks in the last 3 games FYI

51. TBaySlim says: Nov 27, 2013 4:45 PM

Carl Gerbschmidt says:
    Nov 27, 2013 2:34 PM
    Can somebody remind me how Matty F did the last time he played the Lions?

1st place here we come!
    *******************************************
    yes CARL because your last weeks prediction worked out so well for you, How did TOlzien do? oh thats right he didnt set any records like you predicted, you may want to pipe down for a while maybe let that sting go away before you make some other great predictions: o and TOYKO- some of your beloved packer fans predicted a super bowl trip after tying the vikings, put it this way none of the packers fans are any better…

52. duece5 says: Nov 27, 2013 4:49 PM

tritz32 says: Nov 27, 2013 4:01 PM

pillowporkers says:
    Nov 27, 2013 2:02 PM

===================================

duece5 says:

The point is simple……it takes ALOT of luck to to also do well in the draft.

If other teams knew that Rodgers would develop, for sure, into an MVP type QB, then would have NEVER lasted to pick #24. If TT knew he would, then he would have UNDOUBTEDLY moved up in the draft to get him before other teams……hello.

It’s like what Pioli said about Brady, when he was a 6th rounder, taken 199 overall: “If we were that smart, we would have taken him earlier. The truth is, we didn’t know he would be THIS good!”

The same can be said of Brees, Rodgers, and Brady……nobody knew they would be MVP type guys……Manning, alot of people felt he would/could be that guy.

I will give Wolf credit for getting Favre from Atlanta, and THEN DEVELOPING him.

But Rodgers was more of a “hope we were right”…..come to find out, TT was LUCKY.

Come to find out as well, is that he has swung and missed on: Brohm, Harrell, Rubely, Coleman, and Flynn, and many others.

In this league, it is a QB driven league BY FAR. But, some teams can win a few games with their back-ups—see the Titans, the Rams, the Raiders, The Bucs, and the Vikings (with Cassel).

Gbay has yet to prove they can do that, and it will cost them dearly this season………feel fortunate you have Rodgers, but even he won’t help the other parts of your team that TT has not developed through the draft.

All I see is Rodgers as his (TTs) centerpiece……everything else around him, as it appears in his absence, is very average to below average talent. If that wasn’t the case, then gbay SHOULD be 2-2 in Rodgers absence, and be in 1st place because the NFC North is AWFUL this year.

53. buyamericanonly says: Nov 27, 2013 4:50 PM

Love all the comments here from Packers fans ripping on the Lions secondary (its not good) but have you looked at your own? I contend Detroit probably has the better secondary. Your defense is very soft. Look what Minnesota did in O.T. Oh yeah, and thank Sitton for firing up the Lions and bringing them back together. Nothing like bulletin board material.

54. 84smooninlambeaunevergetsold says: Nov 27, 2013 5:54 PM

Anybody remember when Packer fans were making fun of Minnesota for starting 3 different quarterbacks this year?

55. riverhorsey says: Nov 27, 2013 6:22 PM

Will blow my mind if Flynn throws for 350, 3 td’s and no int’s.

56. quickstrong says: Nov 27, 2013 6:54 PM

it really doesn’t matter who plays qb if the O line sucks and the defense sucks like they did the last 4 games.

57. lionsden1317 says: Nov 27, 2013 9:12 PM

I feel that this game could go either way. If the Lion’s offence can stay balanced and their defence can keep from making stupid, costly penalties I think that they can win. Maybe 28-17. But if they continue to play the way they have the last couple of weeks then I can see them losing and losing big…35-13. At least we are playing a meaningful November game for the 2nd time in 3 years. I hope for a good, smart played game from the Lions but with Schwartz still there I don’t have high hopes. But like I have done every year for the last 35 yrs I will be rooting for my beloved Lion’s.

GO LION’S!!!

58. paulsimpsonv5 says: Nov 28, 2013 3:28 AM

johngaltwho says:

—————————————————
    think you may have a few more holes than QB.

BTW vikings and bears have more holes than you guys. Lions…..not sure why they haven’t caned us all this year but I have only seen them on highlights (uk coverage, we see what we can).

On the subject of getting healthy, we vikings have lost some massive players this year (Smith, Rudolf and for some games nearly the entire secondary) plus Peterson has been playing hurt!

I still believe the vikings biggest hole is coaching, be grateful you are better off than us in that department

59. gbmickey says: Nov 28, 2013 9:06 AM

Hey 84 we laugh at Viking fans because they are bandwagon fans. Case in point this thread. You have a lost season and jump on board any team that is playing the Packers because you have nothing good to say about your own team except look out for next year. God knows this site has witnessed that prediction for the last 4 years. Embrace the suck like you have been doing for the last 50 years.