Roddy White not worrying about contract right now

Seahawks Falcons Football AP

There’s an expectation that the Falcons and wide receiver Roddy White will agree to a contract extension this offseason.

And while White made it clear he hopes to retire as a member of the Falcons, he said he’s not worried about that at the moment.

“I don’t think about those kinds of things, man,” White said, via Vaughn McClure of ESPN.com. “Those kinds of things work out themselves as the season goes along or as the offseason goes along. I’m a football player. All that other stuff, I don’t really get into those types of things. I just let my agent handle that situation.”

Realistically, the Falcons need to adjust his $6.325 million cap number for next year so they can do other business, including a longer deal for teammate Julio Jones at some point.

So since he wants to stay and they want him, there seems to be a mutual understanding that a deal works for both sides.

“It feels good that they want me to be here,” he said. “That’s the most important thing: them wanting me to be here and me wanting to be here, too. . . .

“I’ve been here my whole career and it’s been good. I’ve basically brought my whole family around Atlanta. And I’ve basically based this as a place that I want to be for the rest of my life. Anytime you get an opportunity to play out your career with one team — especially in this day and age of football where everybody is continuously moving around — that would be great.”

The 32-year-old wideout has been hobbled this year by hamstring and ankle injuries, as well as the absence of Jones, who’s out for the year after foot surgery. But when the two of them are together and well, they’re still a potent duo, and the Falcons should try to give them a chance to fix things next year.

Permalink 7 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Atlanta Falcons, Home, Rumor Mill
7 Responses to “Roddy White not worrying about contract right now”
  1. elliottcovert says: Nov 27, 2013 8:45 AM

I can’t believe Roddy White is already 32, I still think of him as being like 25 in my mind. Time flies I guess.

2. touchdownroddywhite says: Nov 27, 2013 9:02 AM

Time does fly and he’s no spring chicken any more. He wont be taking the top off of defenses at this point, but that’s why the drafted Julio. Let Julio pull the safeties, and let White’s exceptional route running and hands be his bread and butter. This passing attack will be back with a vengeance next season as long as they retain White. I’d hate to see him walk.

3. ballboy48 says: Nov 27, 2013 9:09 AM

Even as a Browns fan, I always liked how he played. Hope things work out between he and the Falcons.

4. buckethead1 says: Nov 27, 2013 9:11 AM

Buy some speech lessons..

5. oakfolk says: Nov 27, 2013 9:43 AM

Grew up with Roddy. (Charleston, SC….James Island to be exact. Small community on the coast where we speak geechie and go crabbing lol) We use to always play a game called “throw up, tackle” in our neighborhood. Throw the football up in the air and whoever catches or recovers the ball when it lands runs while the others tried to tackle you. It was obvious to us back then he was a “manchild” physically. He won multiple state high school wrestling championships…as did his cousins. Still didn’t expect him to be a NFL pro bowler. Much props Roddy!

6. Bob says: Nov 27, 2013 9:47 AM

He shouldn’t be worry about a new contract, at least from the Falcons. He’s been hurt and sucked this year.

7. jacobslatter says: Nov 27, 2013 10:26 AM

The Falcons need to unload their trainer or strength/conditioning coach or whoever has caused all these injuries. Yes, his head must roll in the wake of all the devastation. Way too many to be a coincidence. Plus Roddy should have been held out the 1st several weeks of the season.