Russell Wilson, recovering Saints fan

Wilson Getty Images

As the Seahawks prepare to face the Saints in a game that will go a long way toward deciding the top seed in the NFC, Seattle’s quarterback has a confession to make.

He is a recovering Saints fan.

“I used to wear a Saints hat at the University of Wisconsin all the time,” Wilson told reporters on Wednesday.  “I’m a huge fan.  I watch them [still].  I don’t wear it anymore.”

But did he wear it in January 2011, during the notorious Beastquake game that saw the 7-9 Seahawks beat the defending Super Bowl champs at CenturyLink Field?

“I probably did,” Wilson said.  “I’m not going to lie.  I’ve always kind of liked the Seahawks to be honest with you.  I liked the Saints for a pretty good time now.  But obviously I am in love with the Seahawks now and playing here is a special place to play.  Coach Carroll is a tremendous football coach.  John Schneider gave me an opportunity, the General Manager, and Paul Allen, the owner.”

Wilson may have been a Saints fan because he shares one important quality with Saints quarterback Drew Brees.  They’re both short, and they both were knocked for it in the draft.

On Monday night, in perhaps the biggest regular-season game of his career, Wilson gets a chance to show that the Seahawks are ready to do what the Saints did four years ago.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks
26 Responses to “Russell Wilson, recovering Saints fan”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Nov 27, 2013 6:14 PM

I have no complaints about this guy.

2. hooterdawg says: Nov 27, 2013 6:16 PM

I would venture a guess that the biggest game of Wilson’s career was the playoff loss to Atlanta last postseason. He waged a brilliant comeback that was overcome by a last moment field goal.

3. 12thmanseattle says: Nov 27, 2013 6:20 PM

Its refreshing to see a player show a little honesty. It’s like people are shocked when these guys had a team they rooted for before they became professionals that isn’t the one they play for

4. anicra says: Nov 27, 2013 6:24 PM

Russell Wilson, a pro among pros

5. pacificnw7722 says: Nov 27, 2013 6:27 PM

Wilson to Harvin…….TOUCHDOWN!

6. macdaddyspeed says: Nov 27, 2013 6:29 PM

Cast away old loyalties and join the Seahawks Empire. Follow the lead of The Wilson and rejoice in the glory that is the Empire. Behold, the Seahawks Empire.

7. seaeagle707 says: Nov 27, 2013 6:32 PM

In an interview that RW, gave last year, he admitted that growing up in Richmond (Va.), he liked the 49er’s, more than any other team. Presumably, that was before the days of Brees, and the Saints.

We’ve seen the lack of compassion that he has had, playing against his childhood fave, thus far. I expect no less from Russell, come Monday night.

8. joecool16280 says: Nov 27, 2013 6:34 PM

We prefer “vertically challenged” instead of short.

9. dennisatunity says: Nov 27, 2013 6:40 PM

It’s OK to like other teams before you get to the NFL. Obviously, a player can’t know which team is going to pick him (or even if it will ever happen), so you just enjoy the teams you enjoy. Naturally, when you play for a specific team, everything changes. I’m a lifelong ‘Hawks fan but I’ve always liked the Saints myself.

10. 4thqtrsaint says: Nov 27, 2013 6:54 PM

He’s a good kid.

11. chicagotomahawk says: Nov 27, 2013 7:22 PM

Good to see Seattle fans not getting all offended by RW’s comments. Kaep would’ve been crucified by all the butthurt homers in the bay if he were to say any of this.

12. Go-Hawks! says: Nov 27, 2013 7:23 PM

It’s okay that you like other teams, and even that you sported their gear.

I’m a lifelong Seahawks fan, always will be. But what football fan has watched Joe Montana play and not rooted for the 49ers? I used to have a Redskins pennant on my wall (just below the Seahawks one) back when Mark Rypien played (because he went to my dad’s alma mater WSU (go Cougs!). And watching Barry Sanders run still makes me drool. Who didn’t love to watch Emmitt Smith dive over the line for the touchdown? The list goes on and on…

Football is the best. And I have to admit that I love even the teams that I “hate”. Because they play football. And football is great!

13. frankgarrett says: Nov 27, 2013 7:25 PM

I wish Wilson would have played his full college years at Wisconsin. That year he played . i knew he would rip it up in the Pros.. VIKINGS SUCK

14. thebirdofprey2 says: Nov 27, 2013 8:07 PM

RW always talks about Drew Brees as somebody he admires in interviews. He models after him with work ethic and commitment to his community. Even got a few tips at last years Pro Bowl if I remember right.

Russell Wilson has been the real deal since he’s come here. Even the fans that hate Seattle Seahawks have to respect the guy on and off the field. The 12th man loves him, if anyone doesn’t know check out what community work he and his wife do in the area each week.

15. rap49er says: Nov 27, 2013 9:07 PM

Hate the Seahawks and their fans but have to admit, I secretly like and admire Russell Wilson.

16. chunkderrrty says: Nov 27, 2013 9:14 PM

Playing their favorite team usually brings out the best in players, should be a great game to watch.

17. xxwhodatxx says: Nov 27, 2013 9:36 PM

I like Russell Wilson…just not this Monday night.

18. the3rdpower says: Nov 27, 2013 11:14 PM

I’m wearing a sweat shirt right now that says, “RussellMania3″

RW3 is such a classy guy. Humble, faithful, determined, and a strong leader. With all the crap in the news about the CBs getting suspended I recognize that at the end of the day is going to be dependable. That’s what makes me a Hawk’s fan.

Super talented guy right there. A professional football player.

19. theageofquarrel says: Nov 27, 2013 11:38 PM

macdaddyspeed says:
    Nov 27, 2013 6:29 PM

Hahahahaha!!!

At least have one title before boasting about being an empire.

20. capn0bvious says: Nov 28, 2013 12:43 AM

See, Kaepernick? THIS guy is smart enough not to wear another team’s headgear!

21. boyshole25 says: Nov 28, 2013 1:23 AM

Love the skins but how can you not like this kid?

22. doubleogator says: Nov 28, 2013 10:09 AM

I’m a Saints fan, Russell Wilson Exudes class, Seattle lucky to have him, just as we are lucky to have Drew Brees…

23. dubyad3 says: Nov 28, 2013 2:33 PM

Niner fan here. Can’t say enough about Wilson on having class and character.

On the other hand, I knew some moron would say something about Kaep wearing a Dolphins hat. That’s like saying someone who works at Whataburger can’t like Taco Bell. It’s not like it was a Seahawks hat….

24. mustang6984 says: Nov 29, 2013 2:43 AM

No problem…that was then, this is now.

Seahawks by 7. They’ll be 11-1 at the end of a cold and possibly snowy night!

25. cursedvikings1998 says: Nov 30, 2013 1:36 PM

My only problem with him is that he’s part of a religious cult. Other than that, he’s swell!

26. vailskier99 says: Nov 30, 2013 3:32 PM