Suh on Thanksgiving trouble: I’m just trying to help my team win

Ndamukong+Suh+Houston+Texans+v+Detroit+Lions+NFAh2ESlDTyl Getty Images

Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh is preparing for the fourth Thanksgiving Day game of his career this week which raises the question of what kind of headlines he’ll make with his behavior on Thursday.

Suh was flagged for a personal foul for pushing and shoving with the Patriots as a rookie in 2010 and then he was ejected from the 2011 game after stomping on Packers offensive lineman Evan Dietrich-Smith. Suh got suspended for that move as well, but avoided a suspension and a penalty for kicking Texans quarterback Matt Schaub in the groin while rushing the passer during last year’s game. Suh did get fined $30,000 for that maneuver and the stage is set for this year’s fireworks.

“Man, hey, the only one that I was really in control of was the [stomp],” Suh said, via the Detroit Free Press. “Other than that, I can’t do much more. I’m just going to play hard, be aggressive and help my team win.”

Suh will be reunited with Dietrich-Smith, now starting at center for the Packers, this week. Suh said the two men have no relationship, but they’ve played four times without incident since the stomp heard round the world. None of those games were on Thanksgiving, though, and, as we’ve learned, that’s Suh’s busy day.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
45 Responses to “Suh on Thanksgiving trouble: I’m just trying to help my team win”
  1. jimthebuilder27 says: Nov 27, 2013 9:22 AM

This guy is such a tool.

Schwartz too.

2. ocdn says: Nov 27, 2013 9:22 AM

Hey Suh, aim at Sutton’s big pie hole.

3. saint970 says: Nov 27, 2013 9:24 AM

But it’s proven time after time that penalties don’t help. He just can’t help himself.

4. assuredmutualdestruction says: Nov 27, 2013 9:24 AM

I hope Rodgers tries to play. It will be “must see tv” waiting for Suh to hit him so hard that collarbone sticks through his shoulder pad.

5. dublindemonszfl says: Nov 27, 2013 9:24 AM

The guy just wants his smashed potatoes and gravy asap.

6. pem34 says: Nov 27, 2013 9:25 AM

Suh on Thanksgiving trouble: “I told your father not to eat the leftover turkey. I told him twice. So, yes, I kicked him in the groin and belly flopped on top of him. And he deserved it.”

7. greenisgold1265 says: Nov 27, 2013 9:25 AM

I am thankful that the lions roster is filled with jerks like him so that in a year where the packers and bears are ravaged by injuries, they remain unable to run away with this division.
    Or even pull ahead.

8. faulkn22 says: Nov 27, 2013 9:28 AM

Most of his fines are for plays that were never flagged in the first place. Has never had a part in another player missing a game. Mostly shoves, in fact.

Heck, a 49 straight up “field goaled” RG3 a few days ago and he won’t ever see a fine for it.

Suh could sneeze while lining up for 3rd down and be flagged for unnecessary roughness, but I guess that is the price you pay for stomping some little punk that resorts to untying your shoes. He should have held his cool and he wouldn’t have these problems.

9. packerfan1000 says: Nov 27, 2013 9:30 AM

Good luck finding a guy named Sutton on the field, Suh.

10. whatjusthapped says: Nov 27, 2013 9:31 AM

Suh’s reputation is well earned. It was his own actions that has brought him this notoriety.

But combined with the multiple arrests of his teammates, the immaturity and poor sportsmanship of his coach and the personal fouls by the Lions and you have created a media perception of a dirty team. It would be different if they won more than they lost but many of those personal fouls lead to unfavorable outcomes so in the end, its the Lions shooting themselves in the foot.

11. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Nov 27, 2013 9:32 AM

Say whatever you want about Suh but he’s a great player who you wish was on your team.
    I have a very strong feeling that the guy who called the Lions D line scum (whoever he is I’ve never heard of him. He must not be a pro bowler like Suh is) is going to really regret it after getting manhandled by Fairley and Suh.
    He will have earned it for his idiotic, unprofessional comments

12. trapshoot says: Nov 27, 2013 9:33 AM

One of the dirtiest plays in the NFL.

13. jrebar88 says: Nov 27, 2013 9:40 AM

Where is the fine on Aldon Smith? That nut kick was blatantly intentional. Adding to it, what about his suspension? Smh, NFL only targets certain players.

14. hartlylion13 says: Nov 27, 2013 9:41 AM

I am thankful for sheep like Josh Sitton, who may have just single handedly revived the Lions run to the playoffs with the most ignorant, narrow minded comments of the year.

Happy Thanksgiving!! Go Lions!!! Go Suh!!!

15. thetruthcampaign says: Nov 27, 2013 9:43 AM

Suh is actually NOT a tool. He’s a pretty good guy off the field who gets mean on the field. Some other players are tools off the field. That’s a tool. He’s not.

16. bert1913 says: Nov 27, 2013 9:46 AM

lions and bengals both cat names. cowinky-dink?

17. staffordsbigoljohnson says: Nov 27, 2013 9:46 AM

Suh answered the question with class. At least he didnt act like Sitton. Sitton acted like he walked in on Suh and Fairley makin his wife into a sandwich.

18. beerbratscheese says: Nov 27, 2013 9:48 AM

Wait, so now he says he was in control when it came to the stomp? I thought his entire story was that he lost his balance. Despite video evidence showing that wasn’t the case, why did it take two years for him to finally admit it.

As far as the Schaub kick, once again look at the video. Suh’s legs came rolling over his body after he fell down, but then there was a noticeable kick, where his leg jutted away from his body that momentum had no part in.

The guy is a cheap shot artist who tries to push boundaries and tries to get away with illegal acts that he hope won’t get noticed. Seriously, the guy is good enough that he shouldn’t have to do these things, and that makes it worse in my book.

19. richcranium2112 says: Nov 27, 2013 9:48 AM

As much as you attempt to give Suh the benefit of the doubt, he continues to prove to everyone that he is his own worst enemy.

Maybe his and Greg Jennings’ sisters should begin new twitter campaigns to tout heroics.

Sitton is doing his job getting under the Lions’ skin because we all know they are at their worst under pressure – Schwartz, Fairley, Suh, Delmas, Stafford, Bush, Cunningham to name a few.

Should be a real black and blue division showdown! Let the fireworks begin!!

20. purpleguy says: Nov 27, 2013 10:00 AM

Good for Sitton for actually speaking his mind rather than spouting the usual vanilla NFL player-speak. Not only that, he’s right.

21. sosuhme says: Nov 27, 2013 10:06 AM

Suh must be the biggest failure in the world. He has tried to injure an opponent on every down he has played since 2010, and has failed every time. Despite his massive strength and best efforts to injure players, not a single player has missed a single game because of Suh. I just don’t know how you can try so hard at something and fail every time.

22. lilpuppy says: Nov 27, 2013 10:10 AM

read the article on Grantland about the guide to hating Suh and all you haters with an active braincell will realize how easily manipulated you have been into hating him by the media…no wonder Iraq was such an easy sale too many stupid people

23. pastabelly says: Nov 27, 2013 10:12 AM

Suh believes it is the season of giving . . . . . cheap shots.

24. thelionsrgreat says: Nov 27, 2013 10:17 AM

Than retire, and stop costing us with your foolish penalties. You bad far outweighs your good. That will help your team win.

25. bearshaterseverywhere says: Nov 27, 2013 10:25 AM

That’s why you get personal foul penalties on consistent basis…..Dirtiest player ever.

26. Ponsonby_Britt says: Nov 27, 2013 10:29 AM

Why would that handsome devil from GB say the Lions “want to hurt Rodgers” if Rodgers isn’t playing tomorrow?

Me thinks he let the cat out of the bag.

27. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Nov 27, 2013 10:42 AM

purpleguy says:
    Nov 27, 2013 10:00 AM

It’s cute when Vikings fans talk trash about anything.

bearshaterseverywhere says:
    Nov 27, 2013 10:25 AM

He’s had 2 personal foul penalties in the past 2 seasons but don’t let facts get in the way of your narrative.

28. lilpuppy says: Nov 27, 2013 10:43 AM

bearshaterseverywhere says:
    Nov 27, 2013 10:25 AM

_________________________________

try doing some research into that statement…2 personal fouls in two years , 41 players have more personal fouls than Suh since he entered the league…but it’s good too see you have absolutely no ability to think for your self and swallow whatever the media tells you

29. purpleguy says: Nov 27, 2013 11:04 AM

Hey, someone said I was cute — thanks!

Speaking as a fan of a team that has actually been in the Super Bowl, was in the playoffs last year, never had an 0-16 season, and who’s team has a better head-to-head record, I’d say any Viking fan has ample right to regularly trash the Kitties in the cutest possible fashion.

30. easyeddie says: Nov 27, 2013 11:10 AM

Two words for Packers fans commenting about lack of character by Lions: Johnny Jolley.

31. johnelwayishorsefaced says: Nov 27, 2013 11:24 AM

purpleguy says:
    Nov 27, 2013 11:04 AM
    Hey, someone said I was cute — thanks!

You’re welcome! I tend to focus more on the current season as that’s the only one that is really relevant. If my team was 2-8-1 I honestly wouldn’t be here talking trash about a divisional opponent. I’m being totally sincere when I say that. Not trying to talk smack or be argumentative or anything. A lot of my best friends are Vikings fans and I always cheer for them when they’re not playing Detroit but the fact is that you guys are really bad. All I’m saying is that if the tables were turned I would personally be a little more humble about my situation.

32. easyeddie says: Nov 27, 2013 11:32 AM

According to nflpenalities.com, Bears lead the league in horsecollar tackle personal fouls (Lions among fewest).

33. easyeddie says: Nov 27, 2013 11:39 AM

Sitton is begging his Twitter followers to vote for him for the Pro Bowl. Sounds like the fool is in need of attention. Sad.

34. metalhead65 says: Nov 27, 2013 11:54 AM

the guy has all the talent in the world to be one of the all time greats. instead he chooses to act like a punk and then gets outraged that anyone would consider him anything but a great player. you are cheap shot artist and have been voted by the PLAYERS as the dirtiest player in the league. I do not care what you do off the field but on it you are fake tough guy punk!

35. somatg3 says: Nov 27, 2013 12:10 PM

Sitton is a whiner. Of course the Lions (and every other team in the NFL) would try to get hits on Rodgers. The NFL is becoming a bunch of wusses. I have much more respect for hockey players than I do NFL players when it comes to toughness. Ever see an NHL injury report. They only put “upper body” and “lower body” because they are smart enough to know that the other team will get after it.

36. seals1 says: Nov 27, 2013 12:11 PM

Like a moth to flame he will burn up again.

You can’t argue the talent but you can’t fix stupid.

37. td40 says: Nov 27, 2013 12:18 PM

I’m just trying to help my team win.

Great “logic” as an excuse for dirty play. I guess he forgot to mention that purposefully hurting offensive starters and taking them out of the game helps his team win. That’s what he meant, of course.

38. theneedforspeeed says: Nov 27, 2013 12:39 PM

td40 says:
    Nov 27, 2013 12:18 PM
    I’m just trying to help my team win.

—————–
    Name those starters that Suh has hurt and forced out of the game….

We’re waiting….

39. lionsfan2086 says: Nov 27, 2013 12:46 PM

Sitton is an uneducated moron already coming up with excuses for when he gets beat. “Oh it must have been dirty play cause I’d never give up a sack”. What a punk. Notice the media had almost nothing to say on Matthews trying to destroy Kaepernick after he was out of bounds. Had that been Suh you can bet it would have never gone away, but oh yeah he doesn’t do stuff like that!

And notice how the media never brings up any of the stuff the Packers saint like and holy offensive linemen were doing in that game. If you sheep go back and look at Suh’s play the stomp is the only one outside the boundaries of the sport. And even then, Smith had been pulling stuff all game, wouldn’t let Suh get up and tried to twist his other ankle when he was getting up. Him pushing Jay Cutler? That was a WEAK penalty and and even more bs fine. Didn’t know 2 hand touch wasn’t allowed in football. The Delhomme smash was a facemask (which shockingly happens in football from time to time) where he couldn’t get his hand free. Yes he shouldn’t have thrown him to the ground, but I’d rather my player try to take down the ball carrier than to give up and let him score a TD (way to not touch the player down Cowboys).

40. filthymcnasty1 says: Nov 27, 2013 12:57 PM

Are Detroit fans really delusional enough to think the media cares about the Lions enough to bother conspiring against them?

41. logicalvoicessayss says: Nov 27, 2013 1:03 PM

“I just happen to play an aggressive sport. I think it’s no different from someone that plays tennis who has to learn how to develop a backhand. As a lineman, you have to learn how to play with your hands. You have to learn how to shut off a blocker. You have to do those things that make you dominant. And if you’re dominant, you’re going to look more aggressive than everybody else.”
    -Suh

42. bearshaterseverywhere says: Nov 27, 2013 1:11 PM

@lilpuppy

I don’t need to research what I see with my own eyes, twice a year every year. The guy is a cheap shot, dirt bag and so is the whole team minus CJ. Lions are are scum and choke every year. It’s just coincidence that every team in the Lions division says the same thing about how dirty your team is and Suh is the ring leader…..right. What a joke.

43. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Nov 27, 2013 2:31 PM

It sure looked like you were trying to help your team win on Thanksgiving when you were stomping that dude’s melon.

44. detlions80 says: Nov 27, 2013 4:42 PM

Bearshaters, David Akers and Don Muhlbach aren’t cheap shots man. Lighten up… the totality of your statement is it’s undoing.

45. skooter519 says: Nov 28, 2013 4:06 PM

I thought that Suh played a pretty clean game today. He could have roughed up the quarterback on that safety, but chose not to.