Bears run defense could be in line for a boost this week

dad56adc8d95bcbdd5de60ab4f734917 AP

A lot has happened since Bears defensive tackle Jeremiah Ratliff last played in an NFL game.

The calendar flipped over to a new year, Ratliff was released by the Cowboys after months of a strained relationship caused by disagreements about how to treat an injury and Ratliff announced that he wanted to be known as Jeremiah rather than Jay. And now he may actually be in position to return to the field.

Coach Marc Trestman said Thursday that Ratliff is “in line to go” against the Vikings on Sunday after practicing again on Thursday. Ratliff has been sidelined for more than a year by a groin injury that was originally thought to be serious enough to keep him sidelined all season, but he signed with the Bears shortly after getting released by the Cowboys with the intent of playing this season.

“We hope that he’ll do what we’ve seen him do in practice,” Trestman said, via CSNChicago.com. “The little he’s been in there he’s holding the point. He’s getting a [pass] rush. He hasn’t played for a while so we don’t have high expectations right now, but we certainly see the light and we’re hoping we get a little bit out of him and it might be Sunday.”

Defensive tackle Stephen Paea also practiced on Thursday after missing the last two games with a toe injury that’s bothered him for most of the season. Getting both men back on the field would be a pretty big boost to a run defense that has given up at least 123 yards in each of the team’s last six games. With Adrian Peterson on the other side of the line, it’s not a moment too soon.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Bears run defense could be in line for a boost this week”
  1. tokyosandblaster says: Nov 29, 2013 10:27 AM

It doesn’t even matter. They’re playing Adrian Peterson. He’s injured. Or at least he says he is.

See, that way, if he has a good game, he can say he fought through the pain. If he doesn’t, he has a built in excuse.

He’s just like the Vikings fan base. More about excuses than accountability. They all think they’re the greatest, but in reality, they will never, EVER, be the best (or better than the packers and their fans).

GO BEARS!

2. 91devinhester23 says: Nov 29, 2013 10:32 AM

can’t be any worse, we’ve been making backup scrubs look like AP since the redskins game

3. linemanguy74 says: Nov 29, 2013 11:24 AM

Bears run defense can’t be worse than Pack

4. tokyosanbblaster says: Nov 29, 2013 11:28 AM

I’m actually really upset that my team stinks. The Pack being embarassed in epic fashion yesterday makes me want to lash out like a little child. I’ll do everything I can to sound smarter than you, but the fact is I’m a Packer fan and my widdo feewings are hurt because the team I brag about is a heart-breaking disappointment.

Checkmate.

5. stellarperformance says: Nov 29, 2013 12:17 PM

tokyosanbblaster says:
    Nov 29, 2013 11:28 AM
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////

If you’re going to fixate on the Packers within a Bears/Vikings story, then I guess there is no harm in responding.

Live with this: As bad as the Packers can be described and insulted, they’re still better than the Vikings.

I can live with that.

6. khmer379 says: Nov 29, 2013 1:43 PM

The only thing that the packers are better then the Vikings is there record… Other then that there probably the same just like last week result

7. bluebongzilla says: Nov 29, 2013 1:52 PM

I remember Ratliff when he was called Chris Canty.

8. larryboodry says: Nov 29, 2013 2:07 PM

Wait a minute…The Bears have a run defense???

9. obsessedvikingfan says: Nov 29, 2013 4:39 PM

tokyosandblaster says: Nov 29, 2013 10:27 AM

GO BEARS!
    ———
    This coming from a fan base that uses “Excuses” as their Passwords. The Packer fans make more excuses than any other team in the NFL. Fact.

10. filthymcnasty1 says: Nov 29, 2013 8:51 PM

Having 13 World Championships means never having to make an excuse.

So nice.

11. johnnytarr says: Nov 30, 2013 9:15 PM

Because those first “championships” mean so much in a 12 team league.

12. tokyosandblaster says: Nov 30, 2013 9:32 PM

I actually love bblaster/contra/geindahmer

He wants so badly to be me. That kind of jealousy is rare.