Emmanuel Sanders drops his chance to be a Steelers hero

Pittsburgh Steelers v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

The Ravens were able to joke about the controversial play made by Steelers coach Mike Tomlin because it didn’t cost them the game.

But the Steelers were left to ponder a play that could have killed their season made by one of the Ravens backups.

Their chance to tie the game late evaporated when wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders dropped a two-point conversion pass. He was being covered by Ravens cornerback Chykie Brown, who had just entered the game for an injured Jimmy Smith.

I knew they were coming after the guy that was fresh off the bench,” Brown said, via Clifton Brown of CSNBaltimore.com. “This was the last play that was going to win the game, and I knew they were coming my way.”

“I couldn’t see it but, hey, big-time players make big-time plays and I didn’t make the necessary play for my teammates,” Sanders said, via Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “Got a little adversity, I just have to handle it.”

It would have been an impressive catch if Sanders made it, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger took the blame for it. It was the same play they had just run for a touchdown to Jerricho Cotchery, who was running routes next to Antonio Brown on the front side of the play.

“There’s no time to read anything,” Roethlisberger said of that quick play. “The ball has to come out right now. You have to pick a side. We threw it the first time to Jay-Cho. You know they’re probably going to double AB or Jay-Cho, so I went to the backside.

“I have lot of faith and trust in Emmanuel. He had a corner on him who just came in the game. I just have to make a better throw for him.”

As close as they were to tying things, they’re now faced with a 5-7 record, and next to no shot at the playoffs unless they’re perfect the rest of the way, and get a bunch of breaks.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Emmanuel Sanders drops his chance to be a Steelers hero”
  1. heathn09 says: Nov 29, 2013 8:08 AM

You have cotchery and AB who have been making clutch plays all year in the game and you throw to the guy who in the same game tripped over his own feet trying to catch a td pass earlier. Sanders shouldn’t even be starting opposite AB. Cotchery has outperformed him all year… and he’s been on the field probably half as many plays as sanders. It was a great game but hate to lose it

2. ridnaway says: Nov 29, 2013 8:26 AM

There ya went Steelers, there ya went.

There ya went Steelers, there ya went.

3. agc99 says: Nov 29, 2013 8:43 AM

Manny wants paid but he doesn’t produce. He drops a lot of balls.

4. bigbenownsthenfl says: Nov 29, 2013 8:48 AM

all ben’s fault! signed.. bobzilla and deb..

5. tc20nfg17 says: Nov 29, 2013 9:00 AM

Everyone wants to rip on Ben. But this is a true teammate. A true leader. Could the throw been up over his head? Sure, but he made a perfect throw. That play was all on sanders and Ben takes responsibility for it.

6. bluebongzilla says: Nov 29, 2013 9:32 AM

Jackie Smith knows those feels, bro.

7. tokyosandblaster says: Nov 29, 2013 10:11 AM

If the steelers would have drafted any of the good running backs in the draft, they would have felt confident running it for the 2pt conversion. Unfortunately, they drafted an injury prone bust.

The glory days are over.

8. Joemontanaflacco says: Nov 29, 2013 10:30 AM

When you mock Ray Lewis. When you try to block Jacoby Jones. When you pick fights with Ray Rice. You get what’s coming to you. A mouthful of crow. Good riddance, classless team.

9. mclovinib says: Nov 29, 2013 10:33 AM

maybe you shouldn’t of did the ray lewis squirrel dance…..in baltimore…karma

10. Nofoolnodrool says: Nov 29, 2013 10:41 AM

tokyosandblaster | Nov 29, 2013, 10:11 AM EST

The glory days are over.

Your lack of football knowledge is widely known so it’s ok you don’t have to keep displaying it over and over. Since coming back from his early season foot injury Bell has done well behind a weak o line. Ssshhh your bias is blinding you to reality.

11. tokyosandblaster says: Nov 29, 2013 10:53 AM

Nofoolbutstilldrools,

I spent some time outside of Pittsburgh this past summer.

I met a bunch of yocals, all who seemed to think they knew about football.

Sadly, I had to teach them a few things. One thought the pistol offense was the offense that the guy in the last boyscout ran, taking out a pistol and shooting everyone in his way.

Another thought that the steelers have never used steroids.

Obviously, his bias was blinding him.

Another thought that the steelers would win it all this year, easily. I told him that they were washed up and that they would be fighting for a wildcard.

The three of them combined had fewer teeth than I do.

Oh yeah. Super Bowl XLV.

Bye!

12. Nofoolnodrool says: Nov 29, 2013 11:13 AM

tokyosandblaster | Nov 29, 2013, 10:53 AM EST
    Nofoolbutstilldrools,

I spent some time outside of Pittsburgh this past summer.

I met a bunch of yocals, all who seemed to think they knew about football.

Another thought that the steelers have never used steroids.

Obviously, his bias was blinding him.

The three of them combined had fewer teeth than I do.

Oh yeah. Super Bowl XLV.

Bye!

At least their teeth added up your IQ. Your post proves my point as I knew it would. Your jealousy shines thru as usual such a pity.

13. patsfan92 says: Nov 29, 2013 12:22 PM

Dear Steelers,

Thanks for matching that offer sheet lol.

-Pats fans

14. patsfan92 says: Nov 29, 2013 12:23 PM

wheres that “steelersaregodsteam” guy? lol

15. junglerat524 says: Nov 29, 2013 12:28 PM

See ya Pittsburgh. Lots of rebuilding to do. What a mess.

16. tokyosandblaster says: Nov 29, 2013 1:09 PM

13>6

By more than twice.

I’m about as jealous as you are of the lions.

17. xricoacex says: Nov 29, 2013 1:44 PM

Emmanuel sanders is trash !!! Always causes anxiety during games…steelers should let him walk unless. He signs for pennies

18. Deb says: Nov 29, 2013 2:07 PM

Sanders should not have been the go-to guy on that play. He’s not a clutch player.

19. ostendpalace says: Nov 29, 2013 4:29 PM

Terrell Owens once mocked Ray Lewis by doing his dance after a TD. How did that work out for him eventually? I might even call it a curse.

20. jacktheraven says: Dec 2, 2013 12:34 PM

If he catches that 2 pt. play, and forces the game into OT, and then The ravens win in OT…. Would he still be a “steelers hero”?