Harbaugh coy about identity of emergency quarterback

Harbaugh Getty Images

Plenty of NFL teams carry only two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster.  Through two-plus years in the league, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh hadn’t been one of them.

But with receiver Michael Crabtree back, a roster spot was needed.  Harbaugh sacrificed his No. 3 quarterback, McCleod Bethel-Thompson.

So with Bethel-Thompson now on the practice squad and ineligible to serve as the third option on game day, what will Harbaugh do at the emergency quarterback position?

“That’s a good question,” Harbaugh told reporters on Friday.

Harbaugh then admitted that receiver Anquan Boldin played quarterback in high school.  So will Boldin be the emergency quarterback?

“We’ll let you know if we’re in that position,” Harbaugh said.

For many of the teams that carry only two quarterbacks, the reasoning is simple.  If they get down to the third quarterback during a game, they’re pretty much screwed anyway.

If the Niners lose Colin Kaepernick and Colt McCoy on Sunday, they’ll be pretty much screwed anyway.  But it’ll be interesting to see who takes the snaps.

Maybe Harbaugh will.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, St. Louis Rams
22 Responses to “Harbaugh coy about identity of emergency quarterback”
  1. ezwriter69 says: Nov 29, 2013 10:33 PM

Forget losing them both, if the Niners lose Kaepernick, they’re screwed, McCoy gives them no better chance than Boldin.

2. fordmandalay says: Nov 29, 2013 11:14 PM

Holy crap I totally forgot they had Colt McCoy as backup QB! Forget #3, if they have to go to #2 they’re already screwed.

3. assuredmutualdestruction says: Nov 29, 2013 11:21 PM

Harbaugh looks like everyday some dog has crapped on his lawn.

4. fumblenuts says: Nov 30, 2013 12:15 AM

Harbaugh: Find a helmet for me you rat bastards, I’m going in!

5. bennyb82 says: Nov 30, 2013 12:29 AM

Then someone asked if the 49ers have an emergency running back and the entire room burst into laughter.

6. cali49er707 says: Nov 30, 2013 1:54 AM

Look at all the morons who are quick to post some hate on a 9ER article!!

If only some of you same losers had the same dedication and quickness to find a job & move out of your moms basement.

Especially “muttle destruction ”

Loser always finds time to type on pft regarding a 9ER article. If only he took time to fill out an application & send a resume. What a trolling @$$ loser!!!

7. don2074978 says: Nov 30, 2013 2:26 AM

For this problem don’t think “Emergency QB” think “Sacrificial Lamb”. I wouldn’t put Boldin out there.

8. assuredmutualdestructionn says: Nov 30, 2013 2:39 AM

I am a huge Seahawks fan, and I want to apologize to niner fans on this site for jumping on every single 49ers related article, and I mean every single one, and posting something negative about the 49ers. I realize now what a tool I have been and that while it is great to be enthusiastic about one’s favorite team, it is going way too far to spend a lot of energy spreading hate to other teams.

9. Awol.West says: Nov 30, 2013 2:39 AM

I thought McCoy was going to be a starter for awhile. He hasn’t panned out, but the offense should move the ball with Manningham and Crabtree now back. I will start evaluating Kaepernick in a couple weeks, after the offense gets a chance to practice and play together.

10. murtdurt says: Nov 30, 2013 5:43 AM

Couldn’t this title be applied to the majority of the league? I’m not a niners fan but if Brady or either of the mannings go down those teams don’t have any better solutions for an emergency qb then the 49ers

11. wabbitslayer says: Nov 30, 2013 7:45 AM

Biggest story in SF if Kaepernick gets hurt will be Harbaugh dumping his long term starter for the backup and trading him so another team can have an epic turnaround with a better season than the 49ers.

12. oldcracker says: Nov 30, 2013 7:56 AM

How about trading McCoy back to the Browns for Weeden (Weinke, 2.0)?

“Coach Holmgren” thought he (We-done) was worth a 1st round pick while McCoy was only a 3rd round pick.

You’d be getting the higher pick!

13. killswitch138 says: Nov 30, 2013 8:21 AM

Holy Jesus you took the hate personal Cali. I see eagles hate on here all the time and I think I have replied once. Way to let strangers beat you down!!

14. sfniners4life says: Nov 30, 2013 8:28 AM

For the most part if anyone loses there starting qb there screwed. Look at the packers minus Rodgers, the colts when they lost manning, and that one year Brady went down.

15. joetoronto says: Nov 30, 2013 8:42 AM

cali49er707:

A little perspective goes a long way, Posting on a football site shouldn’t make you lose your schit, I mean really.

SMH.

16. grandpoopah says: Nov 30, 2013 10:26 AM

Could it be Captain Comeback himself?

17. dukeearl says: Nov 30, 2013 11:14 AM

cali49er707 says:
    Nov 30, 2013 1:54 AM
    Look at all the morons who are quick to post some hate on a 9ER article!!

Especially “muttle destruction ”

*****************************
    What is funny is how you take such stuff personally.

18. hawkman4life says: Nov 30, 2013 12:30 PM

With the playoff pictures getting clearer each week, fans of all teams flock to articles of their team and the teams they may face later. Sitting around with buddies and co-workers talking football goes a lot farther when one is informed.
    As an example, I have a friend that doesn’t read any football articles. He watches the games every weekend but can only be called a casual fan due to his lack of knowledge about all things football. When talking about the defensive end he called him a power forward which had me almost in tears and prompted me to ask if the quarterback was called the point gaurd. He didn’t find it overly humorous but at least it was me he said it to (friends for over 30 years) and not a group of hardcore fans.
    Fact is fans will read most everything football (football fans, fantasy owners, not the bandwagoners or casual fan). Its about information. Some may post negative comments about other teams, especially when negative posts are made against their team which is unfortunate but just a fact how fans tend to react. It isn’t trolling which I find a selfish (this article was written for me and my team fans only) and petty. A real fan is a fanatic…it’s where the term came from. So as the players talk smack on the field, so too will the fans. Get over it already.

19. adderal says: Nov 30, 2013 2:03 PM

Not a Mcoy fan, most of us thought they should have kept BJ Daniels for the #2 Job. Although when he was released by the hawks he made it to the practice squad with nobody grabbing him so there is obviously a reason why I’m not in an nfl front office.

20. mustang6984 says: Nov 30, 2013 3:11 PM

Heck, they’re playing Kaep at QB…they’re already screwed! And they have Harbaugh as a coach..doubly screwed!

21. srgpsycho says: Nov 30, 2013 4:04 PM

No big deal. Harbaugh knows that when Kaepernick can’t perform he’ll have to suit up. Fortunately for Jim no one has the # 12 yet.

22. logicalvoiceseys says: Nov 30, 2013 9:20 PM

Lalamichael James would probably be the 3rd string QB. It’d be a wild cat offense at that point.