Justin Tucker extends streak to 27 straight field goals

Pittsburgh Steelers v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

The Ravens are getting by playing close games, and getting by with field goals instead of touchdowns.

And if you’re going to play that way, you better be able to trust your kicker.

No one’s more trustworthy than Ravens kicker Justin Tucker at the moment. He hit five last night, and has made 27 in a row.

He tried to downplay his own role in it, crediting long snapper Morgan Cox and holder Sam Koch.

I really don’t even acknowledge when people tell me that I’m on some sort of streak or anything,” Tucker said, via Clifton Brown of CSNBaltimore.com. “ I just feel like I’m doing my job. I’ve got two guys that are on the field that are helping me do it to the best of the abilities. That’s where I get my confidence from, what we do out on the practice field at Owings Mills.

“We feel like we’re unique. We work, we put in some hours. We pay very close attention to detail, and as long as we’re doing those things, we know we always have a chance to be successful.”

His streak is the second-longest in franchise history, trailing only the 36 straight Matt Stover made from 2005 through 2006.

And with the state of his team, having that kind of reliability makes him as important as anyone on the roster.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Justin Tucker extends streak to 27 straight field goals”
  1. jakec4 says: Nov 29, 2013 10:10 AM

The next Matt Stover. 27 straight is impressive, but he has 9 in the past two games.

2. getyourownname says: Nov 29, 2013 10:48 AM

He could be the best – Stover’s accuracy, plus distance.

But the Ravens need to finish off a couple drives with TDs. If they had done so, the last second Steeler comeback would not have been even a possibility. And you never know what kicking conditions will be in a playoff game.

3. dg0122 says: Nov 29, 2013 10:51 AM

Tucker is nails, and very classy in including his snapper and holder in the post-game interview last night. Sure wish the Texans would have brought him in instead of wasting a draft pick on Fat Randy

4. skinsfolife says: Nov 29, 2013 11:09 AM

This punk has got to be the most annoying kick since the liquor end up kicker in Indy.

5. jmblosser82 says: Nov 29, 2013 11:14 AM

Ravens MVP

6. ravenswhat says: Nov 29, 2013 11:15 AM

Best PK in the league. And he’s humble. Ozzie does it again. Hate on.

7. scoobies05 says: Nov 29, 2013 7:49 PM

that dude is a weapon. and jm, you are right. at this point he probably is the ravens mvp. hope you had a good thanksgiving

8. crownofthehelmet says: Nov 29, 2013 8:45 PM

Ravens should run the wildcat with Tucker. Since he’s now basically a set-up guy for Tucker, Flacco might as we’ll be his WR on some plays too.

9. scoobies05 says: Nov 30, 2013 7:27 AM

sounds like my buddy crown is auditioning for haley’s jo9b

10. Joemontanaflacco says: Nov 30, 2013 7:31 AM

Or they could run The “scaredy cat.” That’s when the kicker grabs the ball and runs backwards for 12 yards.