Lions had best rushing day since Barry Sanders’ 2,000-yard season

barry AP

The Lions didn’t just run the ball well on Thursday against the Packers. They ran better than they had since Barry Sanders was in Detroit.

According to the team’s website, the Lions’ 241 yards on the ground against the Packers represented the highest rushing output since the Lions gained 249 yards against the Colts on November 23, 1997. Of those 249 yards, 216 were gained by Sanders, who would finish that season with 2,053 yards.

Against the Packers on Thursday, the Lions spread the ball around a lot more than they did in the Barry Sanders days. Reggie Bush led the team on Thursday with 20 carries for 117 yards, Joique Bell added 19 carries for 94 yards, receiver Jeremy Ross picked up 24 yards on his one run and quarterback Matthew Stafford gained eight yards on his one run. (The Lions lost two yards at the end of the game when backup quarterback Shaun Hill took a knee twice.)

The Lions are still a pass-first team, and Calvin Johnson is the most important player in their offense. But they can win games on the ground, too. Which is one of the reasons they’re closing in on their first division title since Barry Sanders was a Lion.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Lions had best rushing day since Barry Sanders’ 2,000-yard season”
  1. contra74 says: Nov 29, 2013 3:08 PM

A wet tissue offers more protection than the packers defense

2. tokyosandblaster says: Nov 29, 2013 3:08 PM

It was complete domination of the packers defense. I’d love to say it was something else, but the packers had their optimal defense and just couldn’t do anything.

Seriously, congrats, lions fans. I’m sure it was as fun to watch for you as it was disgustingly horrible for me to watch.

Only good thing about yesterday was the food.

3. nfl4days says: Nov 29, 2013 3:16 PM

Gale Sayers at 70 could run for 150 on that packers “defense”. Even still, very impressive win for the lions.

4. hyzers says: Nov 29, 2013 3:24 PM

*Waits for feeble Chicago trolls to desperately call the Lions dirty because they have nothing else to say after getting swept yet will blame it on Cutler’s injury even though he was healthy the first match up*

5. rockbottom37 says: Nov 29, 2013 3:29 PM

Don’t know why Packers are being hated on by their fans…give the Lions credit they had 4 turnovers and still scored 40….they tried to give the game to packers in 1st Q. Lions maybe the only team that can go Win in NO or SEA CUZ OF HOW Explosive that offense is. How many teams in NFL can have 4 TO and still score 40 ?

6. saintsredwings says: Nov 29, 2013 3:31 PM

Packers whole team looks horrid without AR.

7. packerenglishmajor says: Nov 29, 2013 3:33 PM

Packer cult members say the darnedest things:

filthymcnasty1 says: Nov 28, 2013 11:02 AM

I think statements from people like Sitton and McCarthy carry more weight because of their Superbowl pedigree.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

. . . and here I thought it was because of the donuts.

8. deltaoracle says: Nov 29, 2013 3:36 PM

In a weird way I was glad that it was a complete blowout. I was able to turn it off early in the 4th and get decorations put up for Christmas. Also, a humiliating beating like that may finally spur McCarthy to change the defensive staff – if not now, then at least in the offseason.
    If the offer from GB is still on the table, B.J. Raji ought to sign it so fast the pen melts. I’ve never seen a 330 pound guy disappear so quickly and completely.
    Congratulations to the Lions and their fans. It’s been a long time since they won the division but it looks as if this is their season.

9. tokyosandblaster says: Nov 29, 2013 3:42 PM

rockbottom37 says:
    Nov 29, 2013 3:29 PM

—-

Come on meow. The Packers at full strength are pretty explosive. But if this is the Lions year, I’ll be cheering for them.

10. stellarperformance says: Nov 29, 2013 3:44 PM

ocdn says:
    Nov 29, 2013 1:58 PM
    Thank you for your good sportsmanship. And I do respect the Packers as well as their fans. They have a great tradition.
    ////////////////////

Same in return. Good luck going forward

11. dtownsportslions says: Nov 29, 2013 3:57 PM

The fact that the Lions have a -14 turnover margin the last 4 games and went 2-2 and beat GB by 30 points shows how much talent they have. If they could be discipline with the football, the sky is the limit.

Fans want to blame the coaching staff, I’m not buying that. Sure, is Schwartz a little rough around the edges and charismatic? Yeah but he’s not fumbling the ball in the red zone or trying to rifle in a ball to a covered Wide Receiver. Matthew Stafford is the man but he needs to know when to just throw one away or check it down.

Go Lions

12. filthymcnasty1 says: Nov 29, 2013 4:01 PM

The true character of a fan base comes out during tough times, and I couldn’t be more proud of how Packer fans are handling this temporary adversity with the grace and class they are known for around the globe.

Hopefully it will inspire some of the degenerate Viking fan base.

13. nickynick04 says: Nov 29, 2013 4:16 PM

To Lion and Viking trolls
    Kiss the Rings

14. touchdownroddywhite says: Nov 29, 2013 4:23 PM

Imagine if this Lions team actually had Barry Sanders! What a sight that would be!

15. honolulubluekoolaid says: Nov 29, 2013 4:46 PM

tokyosandblaster says:
    Nov 29, 2013 3:08 PM

Only good thing about yesterday was the food.
    —————-

Respect to ya. It was fun to watch , but I do wish Rodgers could have played.
    Would have been a close game I believe.

16. obsessedvikingfan says: Nov 29, 2013 4:54 PM

Did I read it right? Eddy lacy averaged 1.6 yards a carry? 10 rushes for 16 yards?

I am not a coach but I think when a back has been doing well, you should give him the ball more than 10 times.

17. thetruthcampaign says: Nov 29, 2013 8:09 PM

No franchise’s history matters compared to these Lions right now. Anyway, still some games left. Nothing’s over till destiny says it’s over.

18. honolulubluekoolaid says: Nov 29, 2013 8:21 PM

Great game by my Lions, but this could have been crazy. Take away the sack fumble td, 2-3 turnovers in the Red zone, a missed FG. 56-3 could have happened if the Lions played mistake free. What is even crazier is in the 1st meeting, when the Lions played without megatron, the pack scored one td, the rest of the scores were FGs. So essentially the Lions held a Rodgers led team to 1 offensive td, and 0 without.

19. thetruthcampaign says: Nov 29, 2013 10:54 PM

If that was disgusting to watch for a Packer’s fan, well, all I can say is, welcome to our world.

20. purpwalk says: Nov 29, 2013 11:32 PM

too late now to try to show class. many have shown remorse as they cross the bridge of sighs

21. dahmergeinteam says: Nov 30, 2013 12:01 AM

Only good thing about yesterday was the food because our pedigree is top grade prime. I can really understand how a 330 pound guy disappears so quickly and completely. At least my freezer is well stocked for the long, cold winter. However, I couldn’t be more ashamed of how Packer fans handle themselves with the disgrace and dirty feelings we are known for around the globe. Why do I feel like we are the NFL version of the USSR?

22. aedhros says: Nov 30, 2013 4:29 AM

I am one of the few that can claim to be a Detroit fan living in Green Bay (Michigan native). In regards to that fact, every single individual that I’ve spoken to following the game (Packers fans, that is), have been incredibly humble and classy regarding the outcome of the contest. For me personally, when the Pack took the Superbowl against the Steelers, I was the only individual in the establishment in which I watched the game that was not wearing Green and Gold, but damn it all, I was the biggest supporter of that team. I have the utmost respect for the fanbase of Green Bay, and I can only hope that they have half the amount of support that us Green Bay based Lions fans provided during their championship season. Cheers to all of you, and happy holidays! Go Lions!

23. contra74 says: Nov 30, 2013 5:39 AM

It’s disgusting to watch packer fans backpedal from talking so much trash to ‘hey great game guys, I’ll be cheering for you…” Packer fans need to learn to shut their traps from the beginning.

24. footballfather says: Nov 30, 2013 11:03 AM

Once again, there is more blame going to the Green Bay defense than there is credit going to the Lions’ offense.

Give credit where credit is due.

25. tokyosandblaster says: Dec 1, 2013 7:09 PM

—-

You don’t shut up, so why should we?

5 wins is better than 3 wins.

Follow your own advice, jr.